Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08
    When he was starting to get hot towards the end of the game it got me a little worried. SDSU doesn't need that guy to gain any confidence against them going forward. I understand the main starters weren't out there, but it's still worth noting. This game really reminded me of the first USD game. They came out and just took it to them right away and NDSU didn't know what to do. I really hope SDSU comes prepared to play NDSU during the tournament because they're going to see a totally different Bison team. Although, to be honest, NDSU might drop to 4th or 5th in the next couple weeks and SDSU won't see them during the tourney.

I really don't want SDSU to face IUPUI during the first round of the tournament. Here's the updated standings below.

Oral Roberts 15-1 -- 23-5
    South Dakota State 12-3 2.5 20-7
    North Dakota State 9-6 5.5 16-9
    Oakland 8-7 6.5 14-13
    Southern Utah 8-8 7 13-13
    Western Illinois 7-8 7.5 13-11
    IUPUI 5-10 9.5 11-16
    IPFW 4-11 10.5 10-15
    South Dakota 4-11 10.5 9-15
    UMKC 4-11 10.5 10-17
    I will wait to hold judgement on playing IUPUI till we play them at home. If I am not mistaken, they have not won a road game in the confrence. all things considered I would take IPFW then IUPUI unless they get way hot to start the year or win a road confrence game. Either way There really are not easy outs, maybe IPFW, but everyone else could upset anyone on a given day. I would actually like to see us play IPFW first then, NDSU, Oakland always is hard for us and I would love the team to play a game that would be less of a slug fest like it would be with Oakland. I would rather ORU and oakland slug it out in the second round.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
      He nailed uncontested 3's long after the outcome had been decided.
      Which sort of bugged me, the last 5 minutes felt like we didnt need to try or keep the defensive intensity. I think for the bench guys that would have been prime time to try to lock down defensively and to run clock on the offensive side.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Dont forget Lawarence Alexander, he no slouch either. He nailed a bunch of threes last night.

When he was starting to get hot towards the end of the game it got me a little worried. SDSU doesn't need that guy to gain any confidence against them going forward. I understand the main starters weren't out there, but it's still worth noting. This game really reminded me of the first USD game. They came out and just took it to them right away and NDSU didn't know what to do. I really hope SDSU comes prepared to play NDSU during the tournament because they're going to see a totally different Bison team. Although, to be honest, NDSU might drop to 4th or 5th in the next couple weeks and SDSU won't see them during the tourney.

I really don't want SDSU to face IUPUI during the first round of the tournament. Updtated standings are below. (Correct this time)

Oral Roberts 16-1 -- 24-5
        South Dakota State 13-3 2.5 21-7
        North Dakota State 9-7 6.5 16-10
        Oakland 9-7 6.5 15-13
        Western Illinois 8-8 7.5 14-11
        Southern Utah 8-9 8 13-14
        IUPUI 6-10 9.5 12-16
        IPFW 4-12 11.5 10-16
        South Dakota 4-12 11.5 9-16
        UMKC 4-12 11.5 10-18
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Those are the standings before last night. NDSU and Oakland now tied, IUPUI now 2 games up on IPFW
          Thanks, I missed it.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

As Jacks fans, let's thank are lucky stars for #3. And when I say #3, I mean Mike Felt. Remember that if Mike Felt would have accepted our early scholarship offer rather than NDSU's, Mr. Wolters would most likely be playing at Augie, Colorado St, or (gasp) NDSU, as we probably wouldn't have had a scholarship to offer him.

I like the way things worked out in that scenario - our #3 is a little better than their #3.

Other observations from last night:

- Some Bison fans have consistently said for the last two years how we have no answer for Marshall Bjorklund and none of our bigs can match up with him...this is just not true as he has been a non-factor in our games this year. Furthermore, Dykstra has excelled against the Bison

- Remember when the Bison looked like they were in another class athletically against us the past 3-4 years...something has changed there as it's not that dramatic anymore, or at least it wasn't last night and last month in Fargo.

- Us beating them twice has to sting, but some of their fans are crazy. They are in third place in the conference, and have a chance to win 20 games (although slight), with a team that plays a majority of freshmen and sophomores. They are going to be good the next few years for sure - yet some of their fans are calling for Saul's head. Try to tell them that their expectations are out of whack and they let you know that is the Bison way...yeah, because their MBB team has sooo much tradition and extended periods of success.

- Nate Wolters is really, really good at basketball. Good Grief.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

ESPN has the total attendance at 3,303. A little low gauging from the expectations posted on the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                As Jacks fans, let's thank are lucky stars for #3. And when I say #3, I mean Mike Felt. Remember that if Mike Felt would have accepted our early scholarship offer rather than NDSU's, Mr. Wolters would most likely be playing at Augie, Colorado St, or (gasp) NDSU, as we probably wouldn't have had a scholarship to offer him. I like the way things worked out in that scenario - our #3 is a little better than their #3. Other observations from last night:- Some Bison fans have consistently said for the last two years how we have no answer for Marshall Bjorklund and none of our bigs can match up with him...this is just not true as he has been a non-factor in our games this year. Furthermore, Dykstra has excelled against the Bison- Remember when the Bison looked like they were in another class athletically against us the past 3-4 years...something has changed there as it's not that dramatic anymore, or at least it wasn't last night and last month in Fargo.- Us beating them twice has to sting, but some of their fans are crazy. They are in third place in the conference, and have a chance to win 20 games (although slight), with a team that plays a majority of freshmen and sophomores. They are going to be good the next few years for sure - yet some of their fans are calling for Saul's head. Try to tell them that their expectations are out of whack and they let you know that is the Bison way...yeah, because their MBB team has sooo much tradition and extended periods of success.- Nate Wolters is really, really good at basketball. Good Grief.
                If the Bison could get Bjorklund more touches, I think he would regularly eat up every post in the Summit. He is that good. The problem is teams have figured out that the Bison perimiter players absolutely do not want to shoot so perimeter defenders sag and prevent the feed down low. Marshall is currently 5th in FG % on the year in DI basketball.It is really frustrating to see the Bison show significant regression. I still have high hopes, but I understand the frustration too. We have been pretty bad for the last month, even in some of our wins.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                  He nailed uncontested 3's long after the outcome had been decided.
                  True, but it was the first game in Fargo where he was both a pest on defense and offense, but Braun really made it a close game. Alexander got a fifth foul, that Tyler thought was questionable and gave the Jacks a little more wind at the FT line. With Alexander sitting on the bench, the out come might have been different with him on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by milltyl View Post
                    ESPN has the total attendance at 3,303. A little low gauging from the expectations posted on the thread.
                    Well we often get carried away with estimates and crowd guessing. I personally did not see how we would draw 5000 on a week night. That would have required more John Deere fans in the stands than there was last night. BTW NDSU has the same colors as John Deere, green and gold. Their following starts to dwindle when their team is on the skids and many Fargo people have jobs and did not make the 195 mile drive to Brookings. If they were even with SDSU in the standings, then more JD's would be there.

Comment

• Re: NDSU

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      I did not think it was possible for OU to jump up to #3 due to NDSU owning the tie-breaker, but things have changed. The pressure will be on. OU has the USD/UMKC road trip and NDSU will have to avenge an early-season loss to WIU (as well as face the unpredictable IUPUI).

I'm not sure who I would rather see the Jacks face in Sioux Falls. After seeing how they matched up against Wolters last night, it is hard not to go with NDSU. We could have won that game by 35+ very easily. However, that whole 3rd matchup of the season thing makes me nervous. I just hope we make it to the second round... baby steps!
                      Oakland worries me more than NDSU because of one big reason - Kampe>>>>> Saul Phillips. The Grizz also have two shooters (Hamilton and Bader) that you have to worry about going off compared to just Braun for the Bison.

Comment

some of their fans are calling for Saul's head.
                        Do you mind telling me which Bison fans have called for Saul's head?

Comment

Sorry, job not head. Figure of speech.

Here is one example:
                          http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...n-the-hot-seat

There was a thread just like this with even more response a few months ago as well.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by milltyl View Post
                            I think there's a couple of reasons for the low turnout...

1) Wednesdays aren't really a big drawing night for games. Part of that is because people have to work the next morning, another part is that traditionally there are no high school games in South Dakota due to it being Church Night. Some folks might still be in the habit of that.

2) There was a big concert at the Swiftel Center last night that featured T-Pain and Gym Class Heroes. That may have siphoned off some of the younger crowd from going to the game.
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Sorry, job not head. Figure of speech.

Here is one example:
                              http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...n-the-hot-seat

There was a thread just like this with even more response a few months ago as well.
                              Not questioning the figure of speech...not being a smart a##. Did you read the thread or

It was a question posed...but nobody is saying he should go.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                                Not questioning the figure of speech...not being a smart a##. Did you read the thread or

It was a question posed...but nobody is saying he should go.
                                Other than the guy who said he should have been fired after the exhibition match. (Not sure if it's that thread.)
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X