ORU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ORU

Column (well done by InForum's Kevin Schnepf) in the Fargo Forum about tonight's game between NDSU and ORU...see comments by Coach Sutton about coming to the Dakotas and having NDSU and SDSU play in Tulsa. Last season (I'm pretty sure it was 2011, not 2010) Sutton was ejected from the game after losing it with the refs -- NDSU's fans were needling him pretty badly (the vision that comes to mind are a handful of tubby guys in green with the yellow hard hats -- it's their job). Sutton talks about the reception he receives in Fargo.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      A few nonsensical, whining posts by a few ORU fans should be ignored. But, take one valuable lesson from those posts before sending them to the memory dump: people have a tendency to judge a group -- in this instance, people associated with ORU -- by the junk spewing forth from a few. I suppose we all need to consider that point we when attack another school or program on this board. I wonder why we don't judge ORU from the really great, gracious fans we've heard from?Let's talk about SUU and wish the Bison good luck today as we work to at least even the W/L record with ORU.

(okay, how do I really feel? Will miss the quality Coach Sutton brings to the Summit League but other than that I won't miss them.)
      We need to be cautious. Last night I counted the number of ORU posters in the ORU Sports thread about the Thursday night game. I believe there were twelve, and not all of them were critical of the Jackrabbits and the Jackrabbit fans. We should not judde the entire ORU nation, or ORU neighborhood, as it should perhaps be called, by the actions of a less than a couple of handfuls of people.
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Everyone I associated with from ORU during the Summit League Tourney in 2010 were all very nice people.

Mostly Old Titan stirring the pot on the Callahan foul so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Someone just needs to give that guy a hug.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
          We need to be cautious. Last night I counted the number of ORU posters in the ORU Sports thread about the Thursday night game. I believe there were twelve, and not all of them were critical of the Jackrabbits and the Jackrabbit fans. We should not judde the entire ORU nation, or ORU neighborhood, as it should perhaps be called, by the actions of a less than a couple of handfuls of people.
          It is quite amazing to see the amount of SDSU posters that suddenly started posting on the ORU site after the victory. I am certain that there were not that many on after we got thumped in Tulsa. I understand that we are proud of this team, but to go on another forum expecting them to do nothing but heap praise may be a little pie-in-the-sky.

And anyone that is happy that the Summit is losing a team like ORU doesn't understand how college basketball works. Losing teams like that does nothing but hurt our conference standing. This level is all about RPI, and replacing ORU with UNO isn't going to help that one bit.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

It was unfortunate that the foul could have hurt some one on essentially the last play of the game, and the fact that it was called a flagerant foul does not help the matter. I think if I wasn't there I might have thought it might have been dirty too. I was there however and the only reason it was a flagerant foul was because of the way he fell. I don't think there was a ton of contact, just a loss of balance and an akward fall. I could see that play being a factor in thier game tonight unfortunately, even a sprained wrist can hamper a guard significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post

Agree - to a point. Most of their posters are reasonable and respectable, probably moreso than on the NDSU forum as it pertains to the Jacks, but there is history there. Reasonable posts even from folks who talk about "Brooking" (we'll forgive those residents of Tuls who can't spell it). But below was an actual post in their pre-game thread... . Even if it's a lame attempt at humor, what purpose does it serve in a respectful discussion about rivals? It appears the comment went by without anyone pushing back. Would that happen on this board? (italics, bold added)

TheEagleman has done a thorough game analysis and it all comes down to this....South Dakota State has too many white guys.....ORU will win this game and cover the spread......it's a no brainer

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                It was unfortunate that the foul could have hurt some one on essentially the last play of the game, and the fact that it was called a flagerant foul does not help the matter. I think if I wasn't there I might have thought it might have been dirty too. I was there however and the only reason it was a flagerant foul was because of the way he fell. I don't think there was a ton of contact, just a loss of balance and an akward fall. I could see that play being a factor in thier game tonight unfortunately, even a sprained wrist can hamper a guard significantly.
                I agree that it wasn't intentional but, had the play been reversed and it was our starting PG that ended up in a heap under the basket, I am certain that there would be folks on here that would react the exact same way as a few ORU posters.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  A few nonsensical, whining posts by a few ORU fans should be ignored. But, take one valuable lesson from those posts before sending them to the memory dump: people have a tendency to judge a group -- in this instance, people associated with ORU -- by the junk spewing forth from a few. I suppose we all need to consider that point we when attack another school or program on this board. I wonder why we don't judge ORU from the really great, gracious fans we've heard from?Let's talk about SUU and wish the Bison good luck today as we work to at least even the W/L record with ORU.

(okay, how do I really feel? Will miss the quality Coach Sutton brings to the Summit League but other than that I won't miss them.)

Agreed. I would like to add that I will miss ORU because they give good financial and institutional support to all of their athletic programs. They have been at the top or very near the top in almost all sports. Losing ORU is a big loss for the Summit, UNO is not an equal replacement....not yet anyway. Don't judge the institution by a few over the top fans on an internet forum.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    I agree that it wasn't intentional but, had the play been reversed and it was our starting PG that ended up in a heap under the basket, I am certain that there would be folks on here that would react the exact same way as a few ORU posters.

I would hope the players we have on the floor have the intelligence not to try a contested dunk in a decided game with so little time left.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack View Post
                      I would hope the players we have on the floor have the intelligence not to try a contested dunk in a decided game with so little time left.
                      There's nothing wrong with what the ORU player did or what Griffan did. If that ORU player would have thrown it down over Griff, it would have been an AMAZING play and maybe ORU would have left with some confidence going forward. If Pearson lands ok and gets up to shoot the free throws, we wouldn't have thought twice about it. Nothing wrong either way. Both were just trying to make a play for their team.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack View Post
                        I am sure that as a starting point guard, Pearson has intelligence. Sometimes, when it comes to college kids, emotions take over for smarts. I just know that I would react if that happened to one of our guys, especially if it were an important part to a possible tournament run.

Comment

Time to move on, we play SUU TONIGHT!
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I had moved on. Then the game replay just finished on the SDSU channel.

That really wasn't flagrant. Really.
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              Agree - to a point. Most of their posters are reasonable and respectable, probably moreso than on the NDSU forum as it pertains to the Jacks, but there is history there. Reasonable posts even from folks who talk about "Brooking" (we'll forgive those residents of Tuls who can't spell it). But below was an actual post in their pre-game thread... . Even if it's a lame attempt at humor, what purpose does it serve in a respectful discussion about rivals? It appears the comment went by without anyone pushing back. Would that happen on this board? (italics, bold added)

TheEagleman has done a thorough game analysis and it all comes down to this....South Dakota State has too many white guys.....ORU will win this game and cover the spread......it's a no brainer
                              No I donot think so. Our moderators seem to take action when someone makes comment such as the one cited in your post, but Old Titan made similiar comments about two years ago, and I recall getting in to P#ss fight with a skunk as did a few other SDSU posters. People can and are selective in their thought process when discussing athletic events. All rationality goes out the window and it could be said it happens everywhere, because athletic events are all about emotion. Negative references to race and ethnicity are out of place period.

Comment

It does not look like Pearson was hurt at all in the dunk attempt. He managed to score 12 pts up in Fargo and probably would have had more if not for Lawance Alexander guarding him.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

Comment

Working...
                                X