USD Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Week

Dykstra committed (to ISU) during or before his Freshman year. Was the earliest to be offered and earliest to accept (at ISU). They broke up during his junior year/shortly after, and committed to SDSU in the fall of his senior year and signed early (I think).

How do I know this, I have some family friends from Rock Valley and they'd been talking about him (and Heemstra) since they were in junior high.

Comment

I think Zimmer made some good points also. Sometimes we do try to take ourselves a little too seriously (I think he was right on about TV and his pipe!). I also agree with stance on "casual fans" and interest in this game. I know multiple SDSU grads that don't know Nate Wolters from Barbara Walters and have not have not been to a single game in 8 years yet they bought tickets to this game as soon as they were available. From a purely basketball standpoint, NDSU is a bigger game - but don't fool yourself about the event.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Where did Iowa State fit into the timeline of our recruitment of Jordan? (And how do some of you people keep all of that straight? )
        just have a good fact checker on staff really helps. Because it is easier to remember SDSU current topics and sports and stats etc then it is to remember my families birthday etc.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          I think Zimmer made some good points also. Sometimes we do try to take ourselves a little too seriously (I think he was right on about TV and his pipe!). I also agree with stance on "casual fans" and interest in this game. I know multiple SDSU grads that don't know Nate Wolters from Barbara Walters and have not have not been to a single game in 8 years yet they bought tickets to this game as soon as they were available. From a purely basketball standpoint, NDSU is a bigger game - but don't fool yourself about the event.
          At the same time I don;t think we should let casual fans dictate how important this game really is. If they fail to see the quaility the summit league provides and think this is the only game to watch, they are kidding themselves. I am refering to zims article, not your friends. Yes this game is improtnant but so is every summit game, this is only relevent because we are 2 hours from USD so causal fans who don't know any better make a bigger deal out of it. That said, I hope we pound um, but I feel that way about any game we play.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I read it, and I see your point.

For those of you who haven't read the article, here it is:

"You can't tell ME how to behave!"

That's pretty much it. Since he's a "professional" he took a lot longer to say it, though.

I think filbert's comment is perfect.

Zimmer a little jealous of TV? I'd say so.
            Last edited by JackJD; 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM.

Comment

For what its worth, I think what Zimmer wrote is pretty accurate for most of the casual fans of both teams. There will be more than a fair number of people that will tune in just so they don't miss out on the next days water-cooler talk. There will be smack talk and obnoxious behavior between fans of both sides. To some extent that is OK. It brings new fans & builds interest in other games. I have family and friends who have attended both institutions, and while there will be some mostly-good natured jabs over the next week or so, my relationships with them won't be affected.

Eventually lines will get crossed - emotions from the game/environment will spill over to the point that socially un-acceptable behavior will occur: vulger and obnoxious behavior in front of children, property damage such as ripping up signs, stealing vehicle school flags, keying a vehicle, etc. Eventually, the game becomes almost secondary to the spectacle of the EVENT.

During the last several years of the NCC, SDSU had dominated Augie in Mens basketball, I remember going to the Elman Center and having the student section start chanting 'Who got the rabbit?' before the opening tip, and continue into the second half. The actual basketball game was pretty good for a change and the score was tied early in the second half. Some carrots got thrown on the floor after a disputed call, and a technical & the ball was awarded to SDSU. Very shortly after, a rabbit and several carrots ended up on the floor and another technical & the ball was awarded. Then the student section EMPTIED (students left with nothing left to throw) with Augie down 6-8 points with around 12:00 left to go in the game. The game ended up being a blowout - the Augie players were visibly dejected by the lack of respect their peer students had shown them & their coaches. The Augie Students had shown up for the Spectacle of rooting agains SDSU & forgot to support their own team. I believe a similar situation played out there the year after as well.

I only hope as the rivalry is picked back up that we don't forget to respect the players on our own teams for the sake of making the event a bigger spectacle. The players & coaches put in too much effort to allow something so trivial to upstage them.

Comment

I'll say this to anyone who is planning on throwing anything onto the court from either side. Understand this

1) you are giving a technical to the other team, my understanding is also that unless it is clearly noticeable to becoming from the away teams fans that the home team is charged with the technical. A technical is 2 foul shots and the ball. If the game is close by any means and you do this, understand that the people around you will want/try to kill you, because it won't be funny.

2) you will get into trouble, now I don't know how much, or what exactly, but I'm sure first of all that you will be asked (told to with cops by your side) to leave. Wouldn't be surprised if you got into some trouble by the cops as well, and I'm guessing that you will be on some type of sh*t list with the University, whether that means they won't let you into games, or you get one of those "talking toos" by the higher ups.

I don't have a problem with too much from the fans, but understand that a line is crossed when you affect the game, throwing a dead animal onto the court affects the game.

I'm kinda with Zim on the entire article, I think its alright to say you hate the U, we all know they've been saying they hate state the past 5 years (and much longer), I think its alright to show up with funny sayings on t-shirts, have stupid chants at the opposing players/refs, I think its alright to do many things. I just think when you affect the game you have gone too far. And I'll also say this, and it probably applies to few if any on this board, but don't show up to this game and act like you are the #1 fan if you don't plan on being at the NDSU game or the Conference tournament. Show up and support the team when its not cool to do so.

P.S. DON'T vandalize in anyway someones vehicle that has any association with USD. Because thats stupid as well. And I don't want to hear well they did it to me 7-10-15 years ago in Vermillion.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  I'll say this to anyone who is planning on throwing anything onto the court from either side. Understand this1) you are giving a technical to the other team, my understanding is also that unless it is clearly noticeable to becoming from the away teams fans that the home team is charged with the technical. A technical is 2 foul shots and the ball. If the game is close by any means and you do this, understand that the people around you will want/try to kill you, because it won't be funny.2) you will get into trouble, now I don't know how much, or what exactly, but I'm sure first of all that you will be asked (told to with cops by your side) to leave. Wouldn't be surprised if you got into some trouble by the cops as well, and I'm guessing that you will be on some type of sh*t list with the University, whether that means they won't let you into games, or you get one of those "talking toos" by the higher ups. I don't have a problem with too much from the fans, but understand that a line is crossed when you affect the game, throwing a dead animal onto the court affects the game.
                  My favorite moment as a child was when a dead jackrabbit was thrown on the court and it my favorite sports memory of all time
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I remember the game HoboJack wrote about -- or one very similar to it. I had not attended the game but watched the report about the game on television. Perry Ford was Augustana's Coach and he was visibly upset -- near tears -- about what his team's "fans" did to influence the outcome of the game. Augie was "in the game" when the first items were thrown. Some thought momentum was on Augie's side. But, the fickle momentum walked to the other side of the court as the carrots rained and the Jacks put in free throws awarded for the T's on the crowd.

I felt sorry for Augie's coach.

Since I have degrees from SDSU and USD, I've decided to throw carrots at myself and then tear my T-shirt off before the game.

(oops...was signed in as adminhare. this post is from JackJD)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      I think filbert's comment is perfect.Zimmer a little jealous of TV? I'd say so.
                      This! There is a reason that Zimmer is a D-II beat writer.

Comment

Nothing is getting thrown on the floor. smh.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          Nothing is getting thrown on the floor. smh.
                          This.

We are better fans. Anyone that thinks there is any entertainment in the throwing of objects isn't a true fan. Anyone that feels that vulgar t-shirts/chants are acceptable doesn't know what rooting for your team means.

The "casual fan" that attends this game for either side better realize that this is now about the game. The "event" is inconsequential now in the grad scheme of things. SDSU doesn't need to have casual fans to sell tickets, our football program has proven that...so, if people are upset that this "rivalry" should be civil from now on, go root for D2 teams that don't have a bigger prize.

I would hope that we real fans of SDSU will not allow anything to happen at Frost on Thursday. This program is on the verge of taking a giant step forward and I hope that this game doesn't take us a step back. The days of "Screw the U and Augie Too" passed as soon as we left the NCC.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                            My favorite moment as a child was when a dead jackrabbit was thrown on the court and it my favorite sports memory of all time
                            If this is not meant to be sarcastic,it must have been a rather uneventful childhood.

Comment

Originally posted by adminhare View Post
                              I remember the game HoboJack wrote about -- or one very similar to it. I had not attended the game but watched the report about the game on television. Perry Ford was Augustana's Coach and he was visibly upset -- near tears -- about what his team's "fans" did to influence the outcome of the game. Augie was "in the game" when the first items were thrown. Some thought momentum was on Augie's side. But, the fickle momentum walked to the other side of the court as the carrots rained and the Jacks put in free throws awarded for the T's on the crowd.

I felt sorry for Augie's coach.

Since I have degrees from SDSU and USD, I've decided to throw carrots at myself and then tear my T-shirt off before the game.

(oops...was signed in as adminhare. this post is from JackJD)
                              I too remember this game and several others where we got a jump on Augie at the free throw line thanks to the carrot tossers. I also remember one post game radio show were Coach Nagy expressed sadness for Coach Perry Ford. He did not deserve this but it happened. I can't believe Zimmer would write such unresponsible trash, as he has not paid any attention to the Summit Commisioner Douple, who has talked several times about intolerance of tossed animals and perhaps tossed vegatables. Yeah I know he is a D2 beat writer and probably ignores everything Douple has to say. JackJD, seems like a good way to lose legal clients, get caught tossing carrots at a USD game. Oh well have fun.

Comment

Fans, last night I was able to secure 4 reserved tickets to tomorrow nights game. That does leave me with 4 GA tickets left that I purchased when they became available. If you have any interest in them send me an IM. I think they were 20 bucks each, but don't remember for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X