USD Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Week

Zimmer's comments were made in a blog and while I do not agree with some of his points, I recognize writing for a blog is closer to writing in a diary that you allow others to read than it is to reporting news or even writing editorial comment in a newspaper sold to the public.

Now, Mick Garry's article in today's Argus, in my opinion, is well done. Here's a link:
    http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports

I think the comments of the former outstanding players quoted in the Garry article are instructive. SDSU's Steve Brown and Austin Hansen and USD's Joey James all made comments that note the big, rowdy crowds contributed to the fiercely competitive games but guess who came through the battles as friends? I hope the crowd Thursday night sounds (that is, it's LOUD) like Frost of old. I also hope the profanity and inappropriate comments are held to a minimum (I remember taking little kids to games in the old days) and nothing is tossed on to the court. Extreme profanity (I can handle an occasional a "B.S." cheer at a ref when deserved) and throwing dead animals or anything is so...Zimmer-league.

I'm confident guys like yoteforever* understand perfectly what James, Brown and Hansen were talking about. Playing on a great team in front of a great, supportive crowd is an honor. Running into old opponents years later is a treat. (*Before yoteforever went to work for Ticketmaster, he played on USD's NCC Champ football team in 78 -- he's an old guy too.)
    Last edited by JackJD; 01-11-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Zimmer's comments were made in a blog and while I do not agree with some of his points, I recognize writing for a blog is closer to writing in a diary that you allow others to read than it is to reporting news or even writing editorial comment in a newspaper sold to the public.Now, Mick Garry's article in today's Argus, in my opinion, is well done. Here's a link:http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|SportsI think the comments of the former outstanding players quoted in the Garry article are instructive. SDSU's Steve Brown and Austin Hansen and USD's Joey James all made comments that note the big, rowdy crowds contributed to the fiercely competitive games but guess who came through the battles as friends? I hope the crowd Thursday night sounds (that is, it's LOUD) like Frost of old. I also hope the profanity and inappropriate comments are held to a minimum (I remember taking little kids to games in the old days) and nothing is tossed on to the court. Extreme profanity (I can handle an occasional a "B.S." cheer at a ref when deserved) and throwing dead animals or anything is so...Zimmer-league.I'm confident guys like yoteforever* understand perfectly what James, Brown and Hansen were talking about. Playing on a great team in front of a great, supportive crowd is an honor. Running into old opponents years later is a treat. (*Before yoteforever went to work for Ticketmaster, he played on USD's NCC Champ football team in 78 -- he's an old guy too.)
      I know so many times we battle back and forth, and unfortunately sometimes it gets personal, but JackJD made a comment that as I reflect back to the Big Game we had each year, it truly was an honor to be a part of that rivalry. The friends we made last for a lifetime. I came out of Iowa, and didn't really realize the impact this game had until I traveled to CAS my freshman year and saw just how intense and fun it was. I soon became a South Dakotan, and my fondest memories are those 4 years at USD, and the games I will always cherish we're against State and ND State. They were big games, hard hitting, and all memory makers. All joking aside, this is a rivalry worth renewing. I do hope behavior at both schools is good. I expect the chants, maybe a dead animal, but when it becomes personal, then it is wrong. It was an honor to play in that game. I will never forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        This is correct. The SDSU men had an elite camp at SDSU a couple of years ago and Gruis and Dykstra went at each other all game long because each knew they were playing for a scholarship. Jordan won and Gruis lost and left with his scholarship offer pulled because SDSU wanted Dykstra. It was very physical and I expect the same thing to happen this Thursday. Gruis is going to be out for Dykstra and I'm sure Dykstra will want to prove SDSU made the right choice (which they did...but we would love to have both).

I think that will be one of the better matchups on THursday as well as Nate and that Louie(sp?) kid (just because he's from SD). I think people will be interested to watch him play.
        This is confirmed in TV's podcast with Mick Garry (USD beat writer). Check it out below - around the 12:00 minute mark. It was really weird because I was reading this thread while listening to this podcast. When they started talking about it it was really weird.

http://www.argusleader.com/podcasts/terryv/

Comment

I wish I could be there just to see what the crowd will be like. My first year of college was Tetzlaff's last year, when we made a run to the national championship. I thought it would be like that always...... stupid naive college kid. That fact that we were good led to a great crowd...... which was a little wild and unruly at times.

Will the college students be into it because of the event or because of the rivalry? These kids no nothing of what USD-SDSU meant. It's hard to believe they will get excited just because mom and dad said..."hey it was a good rivalry, go get wound up". As a fan, I can honestly say I have never crossed the line of inappropriate behavior at a sporting event and hope hope the fans will do the same............but I can honestly say there is a fine line between passionate fans and unruly behavior. To ask the fan base to be polite and respectful at all times is akin to saying "sit down and shut up". How many times have we bemoaned the fact of how quiet our crowd base and student section are? How long have we complained about it? Pretty much goes back to the time the intense rivalries died .....weird huh?

My advise is.....keep it in check, but make it a place where foes fear to enter. If 5,000 Duke students can do it, so can 12,000 SDSU students!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            This is confirmed in TV's podcast with Mick Garry (USD beat writer). Check it out below - around the 12:00 minute mark. It was really weird because I was reading this thread while listening to this podcast. When they started talking about it it was really weird.

http://www.argusleader.com/podcasts/terryv/
            I spent a fair amount of time in conversation with Coach Nagy at the Yankton Jackrabbit Club golf event when all this was going on. If you search the archives of the forum you'll find some posts pertaining to it. Coach couldn't say it but I got the impression Dykstra was a sure thing. SDSU had 1 scholarship and he was getting it. I won't say its similar but there was 1 scholarship for Cordova or Tviedt as well. The Gruis vs Dykstra battle was also discussed on the forum at that time. I seem to remember some comments from coyote fans when Gruis signed with USD, I could be wrong though.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The comment below from Steve Brown in TV's story says it all about why predictions about this game shaping up as a Jack blowout are dangerous. I hope it is but I'd wager a closer game than a lot of people on this board have intimated it will be.
              “It was amazing that every single one of those games came down to the last possession,” Brown said. “It didn’t matter who was having a good season or who seemed to be playing well at the time – you kind of knew it was going to come down to one point. Every possession at the end, you held on for dear life knowing it might be your last.”

Comment

This=== "The most serious incident happened during a game at Frost on Feb. 7, 1976, when an overzealous SDSU fan threw a 55-pound frozen coyote onto the court. It struck SDSU cheerleader Margie Fiedler in the head. Fiedler suffered a concussion, was hospitalized in Minneapolis and missed three weeks of school. She later said doctors told her the impact had shifted her brain inside her skull." And this
                09:43 am - Thu, September 15 2011
                Gary Yarrow said:

Margie is still having problems all these years, besides the hospital stay, she spent weeks in a quiet, very low light basement (her brother who worked at SDSU). Not a good spot in the history of the rivalry. She honestly could have not come out of it.

From South Dakota Magazine Online, about the billboard and rivalry renewal.
                I was there that night and Margie was a good friend and classmate. Never forgot it.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  The comment below from Steve Brown in TV's story says it all about why predictions about this game shaping up as a Jack blowout are dangerous. I hope it is but I'd wager a closer game than a lot of people on this board have intimated it will be.
                  “It was amazing that every single one of those games came down to the last possession,” Brown said. “It didn’t matter who was having a good season or who seemed to be playing well at the time – you kind of knew it was going to come down to one point. Every possession at the end, you held on for dear life knowing it might be your last.”
                  You are wrong NovaJack.....it is a guaranteed blowout. Just like our return trip to Grand Forks.

Comment

While I understand the sentiment of the quote, to compare this game to anything in the past just doesn't work. There is a gap between the schools that was never there in the NCC days. Being further along in the D1 process will show itself, especially in Frost, in the first few meetings. I look at it like the SDSU women and the rest of the summit league. The first couple years they were heads and tails above the other teams, but we have seen them catch up.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

well its an announced sellout.... Will be interesting to see how many actually show up. I bought tickets but have had numerous offers from friends who have extra tickets as well.

Comment

Just picked this up. Be jealous.

Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

No kidding. I think we dropped 2 out of 3 to the Yotes the year we went to the DII final. And they sucked that year, they were something like 5-13 in conference games.

And I've groused about playing them as much as anyone else. But some of my best memories from school were trips to Vermillion to stay with high school friends at USD and their trips up to Brookings during rivalry weekends. Those were some crazy weekends.

Comment

RO: Are the shirts available locally?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              RO: Are the shirts available locally?
                              Yeah, the guy who is selling them got ~60 orders but ordered 100 shirts. If you want I can PM the address/phone#.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola View Post
                                No kidding. I think we dropped 2 out of 3 to the Yotes the year we went to the DII final. And they sucked that year, they were something like 5-13 in conference games.

And I've groused about playing them as much as anyone else. But some of my best memories from school were trips to Vermillion to stay with high school friends at USD and their trips up to Brookings during rivalry weekends. Those were some crazy weekends.
                                Friends at USD? I had a couple friends that went to USD after high school. I waited until they graduated until I talked to them again.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X