Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Week

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Did SDSU try to recruit any players on USD's roster? Same question: any SDSU players recruited by USD?

My memory is fuzzy on those things but I believe there was a time we were interested in Gruis...I think he was angling for other offers and when we had a sure-thing come along, we took the sure thing. I recall hearing -- don't know if it was fact or speculation -- that SDSU didn't recruit Krogman and that offended some (well, at least the guy who told me the story was offended). Other than Gruis, I don't think we recruited any other player on USD's squad. I have no idea whether they recruited any players who decided to become Jackrabbits.

Hilliard had quite a resume from high school days in Wisconsin -- was Mr. Basketball for that state. I thought we'd hear more from him but he doesn't seem to get a great deal of playing time. Of course, Coach Boots has traditionally played about 7 guys -- not knocking it, just making an observation.

I watched USD play a few times last year...haven't watched this year's team but I've tried to read about them. I think they have some talent but have not been playing well. The UMKC win may be the springboard they needed approaching the game at Frost.

My prediction: First 10 minutes: back and forth, entertaining game for objective fans. Second 10 minutes, Jacks start with an unanswered run and hold a constant lead going into the half: 41-30. Second half: all Jackrabbits. Final: 93-76.
    As far as recruitment. I'm pretty sure USD looked at the Madison kids, looked at Horstman but both committed really early so I doubt it was very serious.

I'm pretty sure Louie had an offer from SDSU but it was only for a short period and was when he was an underclassmen, though my understanding is SDSU still recruited him fairly hard but as a walk-on, apparently SDSU shyed away a bit when he didn't grow any. Gruis had an offer then Dykstra opened up, SDSU took it away and offered it to Dykstra. From whispers I heard there were more things that may have led to Gruis' offer being pulled as well. I think the interesting thing about Gruis was how fast his recruitment fell, he went from having SDSU, NDSU, UNI, supposedly Minnesota came and looked, as well as others and they all left in a hurry.

I'm sure SDSU has looked at others on USD's roster, including the JuCo's but I don't think they have lost a recruiting war to USD at least as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      As far as recruitment. I'm pretty sure USD looked at the Madison kids, looked at Horstman but both committed really early so I doubt it was very serious.

I'm pretty sure Louie had an offer from SDSU but it was only for a short period and was when he was an underclassmen, though my understanding is SDSU still recruited him fairly hard but as a walk-on, apparently SDSU shyed away a bit when he didn't grow any. Gruis had an offer then Dykstra opened up, SDSU took it away and offered it to Dykstra. From whispers I heard there were more things that may have led to Gruis' offer being pulled as well. I think the interesting thing about Gruis was how fast his recruitment fell, he went from having SDSU, NDSU, UNI, supposedly Minnesota came and looked, as well as others and they all left in a hurry.

I'm sure SDSU has looked at others on USD's roster, including the JuCo's but I don't think they have lost a recruiting war to USD at least as far as I know.
      I think gruis is the piece we are missing. I think he would help take us to the next level. I wouldn't trade him for anybody on our team but if we had room he woulf have been a great fit imo. Gets good scoring down low. Blocks shots and rebounds. Not a big like we would want but fills a void we need. But that is neither here nor there and sdsu is a better team then usd so by that conclusion we win.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

I don't have any inside information, but typically offers aren't "pulled" unless something bad happens with a kid, like trouble, injury, scholastically, etc.

The more likely scenario is that SDSU had 2 (or 3) offers out for 1 available scholarship. First come, first served. That may not have been explicitly clear to the recruits, which would cause some understandable sour grapes and stories of pulled scholarships. But it would be silly for a coaching staff to have a 1:1 offers to scholarship ratio. You would scramble almost every year because one of your offers wouldn't pan out.

Again, pure speculation.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The way I understood it their was only 1 scholly available and the pulled the offer from gruis to get jordan.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            I think gruis is the piece we are missing. I think he would help take us to the next level. I wouldn't trade him for anybody on our team but if we had room he woulf have been a great fit imo. Gets good scoring down low. Blocks shots and rebounds. Not a big like we would want but fills a void we need. But that is neither here nor there and sdsu is a better team then usd so by that conclusion we win.
            This. would love to have Gruis on this team...

Comment

The way I understood it their was only 1 scholly available and the pulled the offer from gruis to get jordan.
              That could very well be true, but it wouldn't be very smart. I've heard the rumors too. Jordan was being recruited by Wake Forest and others at the time.

It doesn't make logical sense to pull an offer before you have to on the hopes of landing someone else.

They didn't have to pull Gruis' offer to get Jordan, doing so wouldn't be smart at all before landing a commitment from Jordan - unless there was another factor like character issues or academic eligibility.

I guess only the coaches and Gruis know what really happened.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

My guess is coach had reason to believe jordan would take the scholly. And wouldn't pull an offer unless he knows its a for sure deal.

Comment

My guess is coach had reason to believe jordan would take the scholly. And wouldn't pull an offer unless he knows its a for sure deal.
                  Wonder if Heemstra said something to coach along the lines of if you offer Jordan we will both go to SDSU. Sorta like a package deal and wonder if thats one of the reasons Dykstra ultimately ended up at SDSU and not other schools that offered him after the whole Iowa State thing.
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                    Wonder if Heemstra said something to coach along the lines of if you offer Jordan we will both go to SDSU. Sorta like a package deal and wonder if thats one of the reasons Dykstra ultimately ended up at SDSU and not other schools that offered him after the whole Iowa State thing.
                    It could be. But (and maybe its just me hating on a USD guy) I think the coaches saw something in Gruis to turn away from him. Not saying it was bad, but I remember his recruitment, UNI were in for a visit, Tubby was talking to him, he was the breakout candidate and then he ended up at USD, and nothing smack against USD, but I think more people felt that SDSU would lose him to a higher school (MVC possibly Big 10).

Comment

The speculation on this thread is bordering on conspiracy theory. You guys put way more thought into this than what could realistically happen.

Comment

That would make for a great movie. I'm sure that's how it went down.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          That would make for a great movie. I'm sure that's how it went down.
                          Package deals from recruits happens all the time. Demar Derozan went to USC cuz they offered lil romeo and it happens all the times with brothers and twins esp.

Comment

Package deals from recruits happens all the time. Demar Derozan went to USC cuz they offered lil romeo and it happens all the times with brothers and twins esp.
                            Yes, that makes perfect sense. Heemstra committed weeks before Dykstra to avoid any NCAA investigations.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              Yes, that makes perfect sense. Heemstra committed weeks before Dykstra to avoid any NCAA investigations.
                              There is nothing illegal about package deals

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                I agree with filbert's assessment on relative crowd size. Personally, the NDSU game is a much bigger game and while I think the attendance for USD will be excellent, the NDSU game will draw a few more.

The NDSU mens game is on a Wed night. I dont know that it will be better than the USD game. Only because we havent played USD for so long. Next it probably wont be as big of a deal.
                                Last edited by mitchellrabbit; 01-10-2012, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X