• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD Week

would have to say that Dale's putback dunk against IPFW was way better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ELJ82oZYU

Comment

Observation; listening to a sports talk show originating in Sioux Falls on the way to the game. Conversation was mostly about USD and how they could really surprise people and have a better showing than most expected. Commenting on how Louie loves the big state and he could hit 8 3's, Westbrook likely the most explosive player on the court, etc... My thoughts, how can you be so naive and have your own sports talk radio show? That is what it is, the individual making the comments most likely hasn't seen a SDSU game and certainly hasn't seen USD play a quality opponent at the DI level.

Wolters was on cruise control last night and yet his level of play so far exceeded all others on the court that it makes it easy to see why a team with his on court leadership will excel. Plenty of things to work on to solidify this Jackrabbit team, the potential is definitely there.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Observation; listening to a sports talk show originating in Sioux Falls on the way to the game. Conversation was mostly about USD and how they could really surprise people and have a better showing than most expected. Commenting on how Louie loves the big state and he could hit 8 3's, Westbrook likely the most explosive player on the court, etc... My thoughts, how can you be so naive and have your own sports talk radio show? That is what it is, the individual making the comments most likely hasn't seen a SDSU game and certainly hasn't seen USD play a quality opponent at the DI level.

Wolters was on cruise control last night and yet his level of play so far exceeded all others on the court that it makes it easy to see why a team with his on court leadership will excel. Plenty of things to work on to solidify this Jackrabbit team, the potential is definitely there.
        Craig Mattik/Mattock/Maddog? Whatever his name is? (That's my guess)

I often complain to myself that I have to listen to ESPN out of Omaha and the two knuckleheads that they have - but then I remember Craig M. Kind of like Colin Cowherd - you love him or you "strongly dislike him and change the dial" (That's what I do.)

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          Who was the guy from usd last year who was going to enter the nba draft? Also did they lose anyone to graduation or transfer from last year?
          Westbrook was the guy that entered the draft. There was no chance that he was going to go but you can enter the draft and come back 1 time. He was a junior so why not go there and see if you can catch some ones eye?

The best player they lost was Jake Thomas. I think he was their best shooter. If I remember right he went Marquette as a walk on. I don't know for sure but I think he was from Wisconsin originally. He averaged 13.5 PPG. They did lose Kendell Cutler, too. He averaged 8PPG. I think they lost another senior but I don't think he amounted to much.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            Exactly. He wasn't being disrespectful or childish and that way if he names his colleagues who he was referring to the reader could go read their articles and compare and either agree with him or disagree. Just helps the reader refer to who he was talking about.
            Yeah, what do I know about journalism?
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
              Westbrook was the guy that entered the draft. There was no chance that he was going to go but you can enter the draft and come back 1 time. He was a junior so why not go there and see if you can catch some ones eye?

The best player they lost was Jake Thomas. I think he was their best shooter. If I remember right he went Marquette as a walk on. I don't know for sure but I think he was from Wisconsin originally. He averaged 13.5 PPG. They did lose Kendell Cutler, too. He averaged 8PPG. I think they lost another senior but I don't think he amounted to much.
              Jake Thomas is from Racine, WI and he is at Marquette. Cutler was a JUCO transfer, athletic and good rebounder. I don't think they would have been all that much better with either or both of them. Its transition, its meant to be extremely difficult or a lot more programs might be trying to do it.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I guess they've only had a couple players there for more than 2 years. I do think that some of their players might be juco's though. I break them down by categories.
                Tier 1- Westbrook- Sr., Krogman- SR and Gruis- So.
                Tier 2- Saint-G- JR, Boots- JR and Tecker- SO.
                Teir 3- Bos- FR, Andretti- SR, Nimrod- FR and Mav- JR.
                I know I screw up on the names but you can pick up on who I mean, hopefully. The top 3 average more than 10 PPG. The next 3 are between 5-7 PPG. The last group are the other guys. You could move Andretti up because he is a rebounding force.
                I think when you lose 2 of your top 3, that hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  I guess they've only had a couple players there for more than 2 years. I do think that some of their players might be juco's though. I break them down by categories.
                  Tier 1- Westbrook- Sr., Krogman- SR and Gruis- So.
                  Tier 2- Saint-G- JR, Boots- JR and Tecker- SO.
                  Teir 3- Bos- FR, Andretti- SR, Nimrod- FR and Mav- JR.
                  I know I screw up on the names but you can pick up on who I mean, hopefully. The top 3 average more than 10 PPG. The next 3 are between 5-7 PPG. The last group are the other guys. You could move Andretti up because he is a rebounding force.
                  I think when you lose 2 of your top 3, that hurts.
                  Didn't say that it doesn't hurt. I talk to guys close to the program almost everyday. When Thomas left they told me it was best for both the team and Jake. Cutler was a JUCO senior so they knew he was done. USD is right about where SDSU was at this point in transition. Right now, there is little hope for vast improvement with the players they have. I don't know much about their 2012-13 class.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Yeah, what do I know about journalism?
                    JJ, I understand and respect your authority on journalism and on social media, but isn't their some distinction since the piece was his blog? I realize it should still be considered professional writing since the blog is a professional blog, connected to the AL website. I didn't think it read as much of attack, or dig at Terry or Mick, just a different view point. The intent and how it was written was obviously snarky, but I think that's just how he writes.

But I've never taken a single Mass Com class, so I could be way off base.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Jake Thomas is from Racine, WI and he is at Marquette. Cutler was a JUCO transfer, athletic and good rebounder. I don't think they would have been all that much better with either or both of them. Its transition, its meant to be extremely difficult or a lot more programs might be trying to do it.
                      Thomas would have helped quite a bit. The kid is a player. I think our obvious size advantage was that our guards were so much bigger than their guards and Thomas would have rectified that. He obviously isn't enough to swing the outcome but I think he would have helped on both ends of the floor.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        Thomas would have helped quite a bit. The kid is a player. I think our obvious size advantage was that our guards were so much bigger than their guards and Thomas would have rectified that. He obviously isn't enough to swing the outcome but I think he would have helped on both ends of the floor.
                        I have no doubt that his presence would have improved their chances to score. That said, when I asked about his transfer I was told it was necessary and best for both so I think its a moot point. Remember Cadwell with the Jacks? Not saying its exactly the same but I think similar would be fair.

Lets not get lost in the forest for the trees here. Its one lopsided loss in a difficult environment. Somehow perspective and expectation got confused with enthusiasm for the renewal of the rivalry. There is no way USD should have been expected to compete with SDSU in Frost yesterday. Even I bought into this idea that somehow the "renewal of the rivalry" would elevate the level of play to allow a team at the bottom of the conference to compete with a team at the top in a hostile environment. The game is played on the court and the guys SDSU puts on the court are way better than the guys USD puts on the court right now.

Comment

Someone who impressed last night that I was curious about was Tony Fiegen. I thought if anyone in a Jacks uniform who could crap their pants it would be him. SD kid, former Jacks ballboy, probably the most direct tie to the old rivalry there was on both teams. Recipe for either big success or big letdown in the environment. Well kudos to Tony. If he wouldn't have picked up those 2 fouls in the first half he probably would have had a really good line. They seemed to dare him to shoot when he got the ball and he stood there and seemed to say "fine, you want to play 6 feet off me, take this" and swish.

I also thought Prince had some good minutes. When he got posted up on Krogman on an in-bounds play, I just laughed. You knew the outcome of that right when he got the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                            Congrats Jacks fans as last night was pure a simple "drop our drawers and have your way with us" night. Quite frankly, it was embarrassing. The talent level between the two teams is wide, and what made it worse is that I honestly believe our players have "checked out and disengaged" themselves from Coach Boots.I don't have the basketball knowledge to be able to say this or that about fixing the problem. I just know that the talent at SDSU is far better, deeper, and plays with more of an agenda than does USD. My opinion is that Coach Boots was so freaking uptight before the game, and he just completely lost it early in the game, I think our players have just come to ignore him. I have never seen Charlie Westbrook play like he did last night. He got shouted at and he pouted the whole game. As a former jock I was embarrassed.A few observations. There was maybe 500 Coyote fans last night. Maybe. I was behind the USD bench and in front of the students, and other than a few vulgar chants or comments, the really did act ok. I was embarrassed to see a couple of our students wear a vulgar t-shirt last night, and in fact, one was worn by a young lady. If my daughter would wear something like that I think I would disown her. After the ass whooping I thought some fans would take a friendly poke at us but in all candor, they didn't. I think they honestly felt so damned bad for us they didn't want to add insult to injury. The crowd was into it and that quite frankly in my opinion is what gave you the fast start....that plus you have that much better talent.In closing, congrats on the win. This mangy Coyote went home limping all the way. Best wishes except for the rematch in February.
                            This was a game between a D1 team and a D2 team that is transitioning into their D1 era. USD should/will get better as they get farther into their D1 era. Hopefully the games in the future will be more of a contest than last night's game.
                            When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                              86-56. Was this what the media types meant when they went on about how this game was such a good thing for the state? Perhaps they meant good for State.
                              You can't look at one game and make a pronouncement about the resumption of an historic rivalry. Bet you won't dismiss it in four or five years.

Comment

Been a couple years since I've posted here. Life events have been a little more important ...

But this seems as good a time as any to break the drought. I am a little embarrassed to admit thinking ... for even a few seconds ... once ... that this was going to be more of a game than it was. I even thought there was a POSSIBILITY it could be a trap game with all the hype about the rivalry, that USD would come up to Frost and play like they had nothing to lose and wanting to prove they belonged. Silly me! I sincerely ask for your forgiveness.

But all kidding aside, the outcome was exactly what I DID expect. We clearly have better talent. I would have loved to see Nate have a bigger game, but we didn't need him to and I'm OK with that. The Coyotes did not seem to play as a TEAM. Credit the Jacks for some of that. Which brings me to coaching. Someone mentioned that Boots didn't seem to be doing much on the sidelines or in huddles. Appeared that way on TV, too. I don't know if he was shell shocked or what. On the other hand, in the second half with the game well in control, Nagy was still coaching, still getting on the guys to do better when they were making mistakes.

My only disappointment was that I couldn't be there in person! Would have loved to be part of that atmosphere again! USD is going through a lot of the growing pains we did. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to catch up. For the rivalry, I hope they do. But not too much!

Congrats to the Jacks on the big win! Now let's keep the foot on the gas against UMKC!

Oh yeah, as for dunks. I've seen a lot of 'em over many years so it's hard to pick THE best, but I remember in the early 80s when Bob Winzenburg took off down court after a defensive rebound, took the pass at mid-court, and went uncontested for a two-hand jam that sealed a win and sent Frost into a frenzy! It's just one that sticks in my memory. Westbrook's jam was OK, but I agree that some of Dale's were far better. Just my .02!
                                "You trusted us"

Comment

Working...
                                X