USD Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD Week

Can you all imagine how many "freakish" Nate to Dale dunks would've transpired against that high school level defense(and calling it high school defense might be offsensive to a lot of HS coaches in SD) last night? I got chills just thinking about it!!

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      Can you all imagine how many "freakish" Nate to Dale dunks would've transpired against that high school level defense(and calling it high school defense might be offsensive to a lot of HS coaches in SD) last night? I got chills just thinking about it!!

Go Jacks!!
      It was probably one of the worst zones I have every seen. They really sagged back and did very little rotation. The summit league has way to good of shooters for a zone like that to be effective. Maybe against the great west it was fine but summit teams truly can shoot and a soft zone does not scare anyone.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

USD's zone was atrocious, there were times where a wide open shot was created with average ball movement.

Comment

no one talking about Nates dunk? stole the ball, runs down court and you could see it in his face, that should I or shouldn't I look. Do I just lay it up like usual or light up the crowd? Heck with it, light up the crowd. Congrats to the Jacks and especially Nagy for being a class act and putting in the reserves up thirty. If he had left the starters in (like a certain coach from south of here that sounds like ORU womens coach) that score may have been a lot worse.

Comment

Couple of links to stories from The Collegian:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2012/01...ivalry-return/(Video and game story)

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2012/01...i-move-to-usd/ (Column)

Comment

I heard one student say after the game, "No dead animals thrown on the floor!?! Is this even a rivalry??" I thought it was pretty funny because most kids remember that growing up and thats what we consider a rivalry not just competitiveness.
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by MinnJack View Post
                Couple of links to stories from The Collegian:

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2012/01...ivalry-return/(Video and game story)

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2012/01...i-move-to-usd/ (Column)
                From the other school

http://www.volanteonline.com/news/us...a4bcf6878.html

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  You can't look at one game and make a pronouncement about the resumption of an historic rivalry. Bet you won't dismiss it in four or five years.
                  Sorry NoVa, I'm not in the media and so don't see "historic" as a huge promotion. If I did then I would see a resumption of NSU/Jamestown as a big deal. This game was over hyped as a big plus for the state of SD. Really, most of the state yawned. It was a big plus for the media and for the corresponding attention it brings the two programs. The outcome was a big plus for SDSU in that they won big (as expected). In 4-5 years it may be more meaningful if it is competative. But now, a win over ORU or NDSU is way bigger.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                    Sorry NoVa, I'm not in the media and so don't see "historic" as a huge promotion. If I did then I would see a resumption of NSU/Jamestown as a big deal. This game was over hyped as a big plus for the state of SD. Really, most of the state yawned. It was a big plus for the media and for the corresponding attention it brings the two programs. The outcome was a big plus for SDSU in that they won big (as expected). In 4-5 years it may be more meaningful if it is competative. But now, a win over ORU or NDSU is way bigger.
                    I have tried not to comment as it seems so many of the comments make it sound like USD/SDSU playing means nothing. This game was talked about in all circles. People were texting me during the game that never go to games but were all watching to see what would happen. People do not wait in line 1.5 hrs before a game to get in with cold and wind if it means nothing. Most of the student section probably have never been to a game this year or possibly ever. I am now 40 years old and was a front row guy right on the floor getting after players and having fun so I saw the good and the bad of the rivalry. We have STATE bragging rights even if we went D-1 first. We know the growing pains and what they are going to go thru. Like last night the STATE/U game will be the largest every year. BTW, NDSU a rival in basketball since we have not beaten them in the what the last 0- 13 tries? (someone will correct me on that). In hoops and now Football until we beat them, NDSU just marks us down as a win. Hopefully that changes soon in hoops, but NDSU should be favored.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      It was good but not great he had plently of room on the baseline we were slow to get back. Good play by him. Dales dunks on rebounds or in traffic rate higher to me. During the transition we gave up dunks that were more impressive and with more authority on a nightly basis then what west brook had. Personally dunks from matt jones were my favorite that I have ever see on frost.

Dales dunks were always fun to watch and Matt Jones were great as well. My favorite dunks go back to the '85 season. Watching Arvis Young run the baseline and catch an alley-oop(sp) from either Derrick Wordlaw or Tom McDonald was a thing of beauty.

Comment

I think it was "historic" in the term that it was the first in 8 years, and the first in the D-I era. As far as historic as in terms of a great game, or as two top notch D-I mid majors? Hell no. I went, and I'll probably go to the one in Vermillion (its much closer then Brookings) I'll try to get up to Brookings for either the NDSU or ORU game as well. I think its a rivalry, but I also think part of being "thee" rivalry or a "great" rivalry is having 2 solid opponents. Even if its a long losing streak like the one with NDSU, many of them were close games, even when NDSU had a far superior team on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
                          I have tried not to comment as it seems so many of the comments make it sound like USD/SDSU playing means nothing. This game was talked about in all circles. People were texting me during the game that never go to games but were all watching to see what would happen. People do not wait in line 1.5 hrs before a game to get in with cold and wind if it means nothing. Most of the student section probably have never been to a game this year or possibly ever. I am now 40 years old and was a front row guy right on the floor getting after players and having fun so I saw the good and the bad of the rivalry. We have STATE bragging rights even if we went D-1 first. We know the growing pains and what they are going to go thru. Like last night the STATE/U game will be the largest every year. BTW, NDSU a rival in basketball since we have not beaten them in the what the last 0- 13 tries? (someone will correct me on that). In hoops and now Football until we beat them, NDSU just marks us down as a win. Hopefully that changes soon in hoops, but NDSU should be favored.

So your saying if Duke beats North Carolina 13 times in a row, their games wont be considered a rivalry anymore? I think the streak is 10 right now in basketball. And theyve won 2 straight in football after we beat them 3 straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                            But now, a win over ORU or NDSU is way bigger.
                            I agree, a win over ORU or NDSU would definitely be bigger right now. However, I also recognize that (for most people) a LOSS to USD would be much, much worse than a loss to NDSU or ORU. I know if I had to sit in Frost and watch the Jacks lose to a team I'd much rather have it be ORU than USD.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack View Post
                              Dales dunks were always fun to watch and Matt Jones were great as well. My favorite dunks go back to the '85 season. Watching Arvis Young run the baseline and catch an alley-oop(sp) from either Derrick Wordlaw or Tom McDonald was a thing of beauty.
                              I have to agree.....Arvis had some ups!

Comment

During the talks during the process of adding USD to the Summit League, the importance of a big rivalry in the Summit League was mentioned multiple times. Does anyone know if Commissioner Douple attended the game on Thursday evening? It seems like he was one of the ones who mentioned this as an important thing.
                                Last edited by West-River_Jack; 01-14-2012, 04:19 PM. Reason: to correct spelling and punctuation.
                                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                                X