Southwest Minnesota State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southwest Minnesota State

I know many on this board think our freshman and sophmores will continue to mature and improve. I'm not so sure. We have enough playing experience against stiff competition to avoid the kind of performance we had tonight. I think we will be better next year with Cadwell and Gilbert. The big question is how much better can Beran, Green, Loney and Kleinjan get. I think with better talent around him Holdren has a lot of upside. Nagy indicated this is the worse since he arrived at State and the the players are underachieving.

Comment

I always like a gracious winner. Congrats on the win and best of luck the rest of the way. Thanks for posting AnswerMan and welcome to the board.

Comment

thanks 89Rabbit!

Comment

Originally posted by AnswerMan
          First of all, I love the passion you fans show.  Really I mean it.

I'm an SMSU fan.  Your right, we have struggled this year, but SMSU has been playing well the last month or so.  SMSU did lost to NDSU big at home, but lost on a last second shot in NDSU two weeks ago.

also lost to St.Cloud State on last second shot.

I guess I'm saying SMSU has won a region title and averaged nearly 19 wins over the past 6 years or so.  SMSU just isn't that bad.

I know you don't want to hear any of this.  But you guys have been awesome and will be once again.

good luck
          All of this is true but it doesn't change the fact that losing by 40 at Frost to almost any team is unacceptable. Each and every true Jackrabbit fan has to be disappointed by the lack of consistency and hard work night in and night out. This team has demonstrated a lack of competitiveness that in inexcusable for a team from SDSU. Granted, it doesn't do anyone any good to carry on about it on some internet forum, but I just don't know what else to talk about.

I feel very pesimistic right now. I'm not sure how this team turns things around. Nagy must find an experienced player with leadership skills somewhere and get him to Brookings before summer ball.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Just got back to the Holiday Inn after watching the disaster at Frost tonight.

The only word for what happened tonight is embarassing.

Embarassing.

This is the absolute lowest point I've seen in almost thirty years of watching SDSU basketball. There is nothing positive to say about tonight's performance. Nothing at all. Guard play was horrid. Front line was horrid. Offense was terrible. Defense was worse.

The rest of this year, Nagy should just sit the seniors down at the end of the bench and tell Holdren, Casey, and the rest that this is their chance to make next year's team. We have six games left and as far as I'm concerned, they're all 2005-06 exhibition games.

None of these players have earned the right to wear an SDSU uniform next year. They have six games left to make a positive impression.

Gentlemen, start playing some basketball. We expect you to do better. Much, much better.

If you've seen the movie "Miracle" :

AGAIN!
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Filbert has a point about sitting the seniors down and not playing them. One problem: we can not afford to do that. We have 9 players that TRY to play, 8 see playing time and the 9th see very limited time. Besides from what I hear we are down to 8 players now. Getting some leadership from the JUCO ranks would be the best thing, and I heard that they will be looking a lot for just that. About Gilbert and Caldwell, they are very talented, hard workers on the court and day after day those red shirts will be getting better, Green and Beran should have taken over the leadership role this summer knowing that the senioir could not. If they have now, they wont next year either. Gilbert and caldwell, I hope will step-up and take the challenge and play hard. Be ready for fast pace, lots of dunks, and some awesome ball handling out of both players. These guys are the closest we have to the real deal, Holdren is underachievy A LOT. Next year will be that different team.

Comment

To all:

If you take the two best players away from any team you are going to have disappointing results. Those two were also the teams leaders on the floor. You can not appoint leaders, they have to earn the job by their play. Normal graduation losses are always going to affect the next years team. Our losses were mutliplied by those two losses and the fact that we red shirted two of the most promising freshmen. Add to that stepping up to DI competition and you are in for a long season.

Don't get down on our players! Every one of them is giving it all they have. If you are embarassed think how they must feel. They are on the firing line. Most of them could have gone to some other school, but they chose SDSU! Let's show them our appreciation for a great choice!

Comment

I had a good time at the game bc I was with a couple of friends and it was a nice social experience. But I didn't think things could go lower than they did during a coupleof our previous home games but it did. I thought we might get beat but I never dreamed it would be by so much. Part of me wanted to go down to the court and demand my ticket money back but the other part of me realizes that we will get better eventually. I hope it is quickly but I tend to think it may not happen until we are ready for conference affiliation in a few years. It just might take a couple of good recruiting classes to get our talent back up. The one good thing about being this bad is that Coach Nagy can go into good JUCO and HS kids homes and honestly tell them if they are any good that they WILL play right away. After all the euphoria of women's bb and fb I am now a little shell shocked and humbled from the beatings we have taken this year. I have no doubt things will eventually get better but I am a little doubtful it will happen next year. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by AnswerMan
                    First of all, I love the passion you fans show.  Really I mean it.

I'm an SMSU fan.  Your right, we have struggled this year, but SMSU has been playing well the last month or so.  SMSU did lost to NDSU big at home, but lost on a last second shot in NDSU two weeks ago.

also lost to St.Cloud State on last second shot.

I guess I'm saying SMSU has won a region title and averaged nearly 19 wins over the past 6 years or so.  SMSU just isn't that bad.

I know you don't want to hear any of this.  But you guys have been awesome and will be once again.

good luck
                    Thanks Answerman and yes its a painful rebuild this year. Its fun to watch teams that start on a real low note and end on a high note, the Mustangs appear to fit that mold this year. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
                      To all:

If you take the two best players away from any team you are going to have disappointing results.  Those two were also the teams leaders on the floor. You can not appoint leaders, they have to earn the job by their play. Normal graduation losses are always going to affect the next years team.  Our losses were mutliplied by those two losses and the fact that we red shirted two of the most promising freshmen. Add to that stepping up to DI competition and you are in for a long season.

Don't get down on our players!  Every one of them is giving it all they have.  If you are embarassed think how they must feel.  They are on the firing line.  Most of them could have gone to some other school, but they chose SDSU!  Let's show them our appreciation for a great choice!
                      Someone made a post to the effect that Moeller if he had stayed at SDSU, would not have been eligible under D1 rules, but the year of eligibilty would stand at MSUM since they are D2, and if that is correct, then can we blame Moeller for leaving? I would say No.

So goes the reclassification period.

Comment

Argus story on the nightmare:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...32/1002/SPORTS

Jackrabbits fall hard in home finale

Southwest Minnesota gets its first win over SDSU men's basketball

Chris Solari
                        csolari@argusleader.com

published: 02/8/05

BROOKINGS - If a rock bottom exists for the struggling South Dakota State men's basketball team, the Jackrabbits found it Monday.

Visiting Southwest Minnesota State had never defeated the Jacks in 11 previous meetings, but the Mustangs outscored SDSU 29-8 in the final eight minutes of Monday's first half en route to 93-55 shellacking at Frost Arena.

Scott Nagy didn't mince words afterward. At first trying to deflect blame onto himself for not being tough enough, the 10th-year head coach eventually lambasted his players' lack of effort and intensity in the Jackrabbits' final home game of the season.

"It was very embarrassing," Nagy conceded. "It's the worst (loss) in 10 years, there's no question about it. And I'm not talking about in terms of the number of points. I'm talking about in terms of watching our basketball team play. It's the worst."

How bad was this one? At times, Monday's game was like watching a men's rec team trying to match up with the Harlem Globetrotters, even though the Mustangs (9-14) entered with a pedestrian record and rather vanilla stats.

For one night, though, they completely owned SDSU.

SMSU outrebounded the typically ornery Jackrabbits 48-29.

The Mustangs shot 48.5 percent in the game, making 11 of 20 from 3-point range.

Their defense clamped down on SDSU, holding the Jacks to just 36.2 percent from the field and forcing 17 turnovers, 10 of them Mustang steals.

SDSU's 7-15 record this season is the worst in Nagy's tenure . With six games remaining, there is a strong possibility the Jackrabbits could finish with 20 losses. Eight of Nagy's first nine teams finished with 20 victories.

"I felt like we were growing up a little bit," Nagy said. "Clearly, our players have shown that we're not capable of doing that." . . .

SDSU travels to Big 12 foe Colorado next Monday and could be in for an even worse drubbing than it took against Southwest State. If that's possible.

"We may not talk about Colorado up until the game starts," Nagy said. "But we're going to take care of some business here. Even if our players don't have any fight left in them, I do."

I am glad I am not one of the players this week. I think the practices are going to be long and hard. I still have total faith in Coach Nagy, next year WILL be better.

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Comment

You guys should relax. If I remember right three years ago UNI was around 4-24 or something terrible for a season, and then two years later they put together a team good enough to win the MVC title and get a birth in the NCAA tournament. The best thing about basketball is that low numbers leads to having one or two players that can make a huge difference in a team over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit85
                            You guys should relax.  If I remember right three years ago UNI was around 4-24 or something terrible for a season, and then two years later they put together a team good enough to win the MVC title and get a birth in the NCAA tournament.  The best thing about basketball is that low numbers leads to having one or two players that can make a huge difference in a team over a year.
                            Take it how you want to, I won't accept a loss to SWMS at Frost by 40 points anytime. Never acceptable. The move to DI, the loss of Moeller, Matt being ill, none of these are acceptable excuses and anyone using them should be ashamed. There is no excuse for last nights debacle, plain and simple.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have to agree with filbert on this, If I understand correctly, everyones scholarship is for one year, renewable the following year. I would like to view the next six games as a prolonged "tryout" for next years team. I held back on posting until I calmed down a bit after last nights game. Its apparent that several of these guys dont care about playing basketball for South Dakota State. I'm sure coach Nagy can find some who do between now and next season.

Comment

I passed on getting season tickets this year for the first time and it initially looks like I made the right choice for this year.

I was planning on getting them next year, but after last night's debacle I'm not so sure. It sure was a lowpoint in mens basketball history. Nagy and the boys probably wish the season would end yesterday.

Things will get better, we just need to be patient. There may not be huge improvements next year, but it will get better...............Trust in the almighty jackrabbit

Comment

Working...
                                X