Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So, evidently Stu is still bitter...

OK, I'm an idiot.

I was stupidly using the OTHER Augustana college's numbers.

I'll go off into the corner, now.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
      I'm glad you decided to make a pretty bold stereotype and lump all journalists in with Stu

I'm just curious to know how many journalists you have met where you can make this assumption regarding all journalists.
      recanting a little.......most journalists have large ego's......i did exempt Terry V.( They might be a little protective of their profession to the point of being really critical of crticism thrown their way.....)I'm sure tthere are many fine people who are lawyers also.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        recanting a little.......most journalists have large ego's......i did exempt Terry V.( They might be a little protective of their profession to the point of being really critical of crticism thrown their way.....)I'm sure tthere are many fine people who are lawyers also.
        I've met plenty of journalists who don't have large egos. Yes, there are some that do but you can say the same thing about any profession.

I'm still curious to know how many journalists you've met.

Comment

First of all, I am sorry that you lost yesterday. I was hoping a larger crowd could carry the momentum forward for a win. Oakland is really good, and might get a win in the Big Dance.

Regarding the Argus leader, I have voiced my opinion before stating it is in the best interests of SDSU and USD to have reporters that are positive about our respective schools. SDSU is not well served by what was written today, anymore than USD would be. Granted, it might be his opinion, but clean it up and not let it "gush" out so obviously. In order for either/both schools to grow and compete, it is going to take some positive media to get the word out. Negative reporting hurts big time. Recruits are internet savvy, and if the states leading paper reports trouble in "MUDVILLE" then it could have a negative impact on recruiting.

Regarding your basketball team future, I certainly can't predict, but I made a couple of observations before the season started that have somewhat held true. I watched Dykstra play in high school and he is NOT a physical precense. Can he shoot 3's? Yep, and his stats show that. But is that where you want your bigs playing? The other problem that creates is who do you now recruit. Another big, because your best big would rather fire 3's. Or a guad, and force your 3 point shooting big down below where he won't be as big a precense. I like the family, and I hope Dykstra develops, but his personality is not being a tuff guy. I hope Heemstra develops, and I think he has a chance, but he needs to develop physically big time.

I wished you were playing tonight, I really do, but I think you are in reality a little further from the top rung than many think. But the ARGUS piece sucked, and that was the real point of my post.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
            First of all, I am sorry that you lost yesterday. I was hoping a larger crowd could carry the momentum forward for a win. Oakland is really good, and might get a win in the Big Dance.

Regarding the Argus leader, I have voiced my opinion before stating it is in the best interests of SDSU and USD to have reporters that are positive about our respective schools. SDSU is not well served by what was written today, anymore than USD would be. Granted, it might be his opinion, but clean it up and not let it "gush" out so obviously. In order for either/both schools to grow and compete, it is going to take some positive media to get the word out. Negative reporting hurts big time. Recruits are internet savvy, and if the states leading paper reports trouble in "MUDVILLE" then it could have a negative impact on recruiting.

Regarding your basketball team future, I certainly can't predict, but I made a couple of observations before the season started that have somewhat held true. I watched Dykstra play in high school and he is NOT a physical precense. Can he shoot 3's? Yep, and his stats show that. But is that where you want your bigs playing? The other problem that creates is who do you now recruit. Another big, because your best big would rather fire 3's. Or a guad, and force your 3 point shooting big down below where he won't be as big a precense. I like the family, and I hope Dykstra develops, but his personality is not being a tuff guy. I hope Heemstra develops, and I think he has a chance, but he needs to develop physically big time.

I wished you were playing tonight, I really do, but I think you are in reality a little further from the top rung than many think. But the ARGUS piece sucked, and that was the real point of my post.
            I disagree, he had 19 points, he can bang, he did bang, he had some rebounds, now is he a true 5? no Feigen is more of a 5 then he is, but he will be one of the best PF in the conference next year. But if we can get a true center, it will only make Dykstra, Feigen and Heemstra better, because they can play more of there true game 3/4 then playing the 5.

Comment

I don't question Jordan's toughness at all. To be honest,the reason we have trouble playing really good,big athletic teams is because Jordan isn't a true post,Griff isn't a 4 and Dale isn't a 3. Bring in a true post which allows Jordan to play the 4,Griff to play the 3 and Chad White to play off-guard and this team will be fine next year.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post

Dykstra has come a loooooooong way this year, from being a guy fresh out of high school. Towards the end of the season, he looked like a guy who had begun to figure out what the college game required, and he was bringing his game up to that level.

His line last night against the best front line in the league-- 7 of 10 FG, 19 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 1 assist, 1 turnover, 1 foul -- isn't a bad line at all.

That having been said, Dykstra is not, IMHO The Answer as a pure center-type post player. He should be a 4 -- a power forward, or even a 3/4 swing-man type player, to best take advantage of his abilities.

As lots of people have noted, SDSU needs to go out in the off-season and get a wide body to take up space on the opposite side of the lane from Dykstra, and rebound. We don't necessarily need a lot of offense from that player, but we do need a lot of interior muscle and rebounding that we do not currently have.

If the coaches can find that kind of player (or two) in the off-season, SDSU could be in the chase for the Summit championship next year (depending, of course and always, on what all the other teams do to fill their needs--the league is getting better and better and better every year, IMHO. Winning the league is a moving target, and the target is moving upwards.)
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  Dykstra has come a loooooooong way this year, from being a guy fresh out of high school. Towards the end of the season, he looked like a guy who had begun to figure out what the college game required, and he was bringing his game up to that level.

His line last night against the best front line in the league-- 7 of 10 FG, 19 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 1 assist, 1 turnover, 1 foul -- isn't a bad line at all.

That having been said, Dykstra is not, IMHO The Answer as a pure center-type post player. He should be a 4 -- a power forward, or even a 3/4 swing-man type player, to best take advantage of his abilities.
                  Agree 100%. At the beginning of the year I was even down on Dykstra a lot. He didn't rebound well for someone his size and I felt he didn't play tough enough and sat on the outside too much. Last night was like a culmination of everything I wanted him to be. He hit one three and maybe one or two more jumpers and the rest were him posting up and going after Oakland. I was blown away with how much better he has gotten since the beginning of the year. The dude played awesome.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Just getting time to listen to the pregame for the women's game. TV and dips**t discussing the article.

TV quoted Ron Hunter saying this is the best team in recent history of the Summit League and that is the best game he's seem them play. Better than the Tennessee game, best...game...ever. Jacks can't beat that, neither did the #7 team in the country.

TV tried to defend the Jacks by saying they are right there with everybody, except Oakland. Will not disagree with that, for this year. I know Oakland does a good job of reloading, but no Benson, no Hudson and what appears to be a fruitloop European that can shoot from the outside coming in. Their guards are really good. I like the Jacks backcourt too.

Oakland does not strike fear in me next year like Oral Roberts does. The dominating force will come back down to earth. Unfortunately other teams in the league are getting better too. It's going to take Chad White playing the part of Sargent and World not running out of gas or getting hurt for this team to be at or exceed this year. The right recruit, freshman or juco, for this team to dance. Wouldn't Cedric Lang look better in Brookings than freekin' El Paso? Stu was probably sweating if one of his precious Knights would go Blue and Yellow.

Wonder what kind of gem we'll get tomorrow out of stu(pid)? More about our playboy bunnies versus Hugh?

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                      Just getting time to listen to the pregame for the women's game. TV and dips**t discussing the article.

TV quoted Ron Hunter saying this is the best team in recent history of the Summit League and that is the best game he's seem them play. Better than the Tennessee game, best...game...ever. Jacks can't beat that, neither did the #7 team in the country.

TV tried to defend the Jacks by saying they are right there with everybody, except Oakland. Will not disagree with that, for this year. I know Oakland does a good job of reloading, but no Benson, no Hudson and what appears to be a fruitloop European that can shoot from the outside coming in. Their guards are really good. I like the Jacks backcourt too.

Oakland does not strike fear in me next year like Oral Roberts does. The dominating force will come back down to earth. Unfortunately other teams in the league are getting better too. It's going to take Chad White playing the part of Sargent and World not running out of gas or getting hurt for this team to be at or exceed this year. The right recruit, freshman or juco, for this team to dance. Wouldn't Cedric Lang look better in Brookings than freekin' El Paso? Stu was probably sweating if one of his precious Knights would go Blue and Yellow.

Wonder what kind of gem we'll get tomorrow out of stu(pid)? More about our playboy bunnies versus Hugh?

Excellent post. Reps. This freshman and sophomore heavy team just won 19 games in D-1, three of the losses were to a team that could make some noise in the Dance, and one of the wins was against a team that just beat the number four team in the country.

Comment

Cedric Lang would look good, talked to a friend who saw him play at mitchell when they played in the Mike Miller Classic. Said he was a very good post player, and a legit D-I recruit. He told me that there were other reasons on why he went to UTEP.

But other then him, is there a recruit in the area that the Jacks haven't got? People will say Tveidt but knowing people who are close friends they said he was going to NDSU all along because his brother went there.

Comment

Maybe Tim Floyd is paying him to go to UTEP.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I agree a space eater is needed. Even if he is slower than molasses in January.

Stu is a double-edged sword for me.

Comment

Looks like Oral Roberts basketball program is heading in the wrong direction, too. Down 90-70 with about one minute left. I demand to hear a scathing opinion piece on the direction of their program after this blowout loss

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                                Looks like Oral Roberts basketball program is heading in the wrong direction, too. Down 90-70 with about one minute left. I demand to hear a scathing opinion piece on the direction of their program after this blowout loss
                                probably something to do with coaching or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X