Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So, evidently Stu is still bitter...

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    probably something to do with coaching or something.
    Probably. Better fire their coach immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
      At least take away their shoe strings and razors!

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
        I think the ORU players saved Sutton's job with that late, meaningless rally from 20 points down . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          This is one time I think Stu gets a free pass from me. He is being brutally honest. We dont have inside players who can make a difference. Dykstra is one guy and Heemstra will need to step up next year, both need to beef it up during the off season.

This is one area of personnel where we got to do some good recruiting. I think 19 wins for the season was an exceptional finish. I think Nagy was quoted that we hope to be where Oakland is now some time soon.
          Sorry my friend, I think you are way off base. So we got beat by probably the best team the Summit has produced going back to Valpo many moons ago. A team with three seniors, one of whom is the POY for the second year. We are 3 years into the qualification and despite a very tough road through transition are in the upper echelon of the conference. OU Coach Kampe pointed out in his press conference that Oakland didn't win a game in the tourney the first three years of their eligiblity. Are we ready to compete with OU this year...frankly no. And neither were ORU (who got beat just as soundly in the championship game as our semi-final loss), IUPUI (I know they go their one win, but couldn't get past ORU in their semi-final), IPFW, UMKC and all the rest of the league. There are a lot of other positives that offset the guys reasoning, but he won't look at any of it. Being "brutally critical" is his style and he couldn't write his anit-SDSU men's team, anti-Nagy coaching, during the season as we put through our best of the transition. Is it easier to recruit for a team with 5 appearances in the Big Dance over the last seven years, that it is for one is working up to its first?Did he mention that two freshmen and a sophomore for SDSU put up 63 points against the conference champions as a possible bright spot for the future.
          Do you think he was a help during out move to Division 1 -- while we wouldn't even be playing a national qualification tournament in Sioux Falls if we hadn't made the move? OK, end of rant. Nothing changes the fact that he is just a jerk...period.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            I don't read Whitney's writings but after seeing this thread, I decided to read the column. For those of you who call for objectivity, keep in mind he's writing an opinion piece. (And, yes, for the wags among you, much of Whitney's writing is opinion, even when he supposed to be reporting.) Newspapers have traditionally reserved space for opinions. In theory, opinions juxtaposed to real news may help sell papers and can serve a worthwhile purpose ranging from entertainment to enlightenment.

I think the better question to pose to Whitney is: Why write that column. If you cut away the snide writing style, a point or two may have been made but they are points anyone with half a brain can make. Everyone can see Oakland is the class of the Summit League. All the other teams should strive to surpass what Oakland has done. Several of the teams may be capable of reaching that level and SDSU is certainly one of them.

Whitney once again wasted ink and paper with a column that did not inform, did not enlighten or cause any new or critical thinking, and was written in a manner that did not entertain or raise any emotion other than the ire of a few readers.

What an odd guy.

I spoke with Oakland fans tonight and they were shocked at the article that Stu wrote. THey even said what is his problem with SDSU, they are building a solid team.

Comment

Well, I told myself I wasn't going to do it, but I finally got around to reading that piece of **** someone tried to pass for journalism. I'm such a masochist. Obviously, I could simply comment on how putrid of an article that is and be done and go about with my life. That would be the best decision to make. But once again, I'm a masochist, and I just can't let that article go. I know the mantra "don't let Stu rent space" but I need to do this for myself. I'm going to break this thing down piece by piece and point out why it is ****ing trash. If you want to stop reading now, I understand. I apologize for the amount of hate.

And we're off:

If you were seeking good news concerning the South Dakota State men's basketball team Monday, you had to settle for this: Nate Wolters is a sophomore. The bad news? Everything else.
              Hell of a start. Hell.of.a.start. As a journalist, it's important to capture the attention of the readers right away. What's going bad for SDSU MBB? EVERYTHING! WE ARE ****ED PEOPLE! DISBAND THE WHOLE ****ING PROGRAM!

Never mind the fact that other than Nate, the two best players were both freshman. Maybe Stu missed that. Or maybe he only knows the Nate's name because TV wrote an article about it. I bet Stu felt smart mentioning the name of a player that plays for SDSU. Only one he knew (don't worry that he just read about him this week) though, but that doesn't matter.

It must be said that SDSU lost to an exceptionally talented Oakland team that scored the second-most points in tournament history to claim a 110-90 victory.
              Something tells me that since it had to be said was the only reason Stu wrote it. If he could have, he would have explained to his reader-ship (this message board and any of his family that still claim him. So this message board, basically) that SDSU lost to Lincoln High School's girl C team. This just in: Oakland is good.

Still, it's not as simple as just dismissing the loss as an awe-inspiring effort by a vastly superior foe. Rather, it served as a painful reminder of just how far the Jackrabbits still have to go.
              You see? It's not that simple. It's not that Oakland is good. It's that SDSU is bad!

I'm not denying that we have a ways to go. I'm not happy with simply making the second round of the SL tournament every year. I want to go to a NCAA tournament. But I will be shocked if Stu watched the SDSU men play before this tournament. Anyone (that knows what they are talking about - sorry Stu) that has watched this team during the past three years can see the obvious improvements made by this years team. We beat Iowa. Played with UofM. Kicked the **** out of IUPUI.

Other side of the coin: OAKLAND IS REALLY ****ING GOOD! Did Stu even watch the game? Those guys are stacked. Stu probably left thinking it was just like another GPAC game. Good God that team is awesome.

Despite reeling off its best record (19-12) since making the Division I leap in 2004-05, SDSU allowed an average of 104 points in three losses to Oakland and were blown out before their home crowd in the semifinals for the second time in three years.
              STU WIHITNEY MAD LIBS

[Something slightly positive] BUT [Something slightly negative]. [Something that overplays the significance of the negative thing]. [Cherry picked stat that doesn't actually have anything to do with anything]

While Oakland looks ahead to tonight's finals and envisions making an NCAA tournament run, the Jacks will bid farewell to Clint Sargent and Dale Moss and try to find some defensive toughness to assemble around Wolters.
              Clint and Dale who played horrendously against Oakland. I'm going to miss watching those guys play and they were both awesome and we probably don't beat IPFW without Dlae, but they both played like **** against Oakland while the young kids played like seniors. But don't forget, we have NOTHING to look forward to!

"We need to get to that level," said Nagy of the Golden Grizzlies (24-9), who have reached the Summit finals five of the last seven years.
              Once again: Oakland is ****ing awesome. They are the epitome of what a Summit League team should be. This year's version was the best version of all of those teams.

Of course, "starting to get there" is not a spirited battle cry.
              What a beautiful sentence. How big of an assbag does one need to be to turn "starting to get there" into a negative? What does this dumb**** want? Nagy has made progress with the team every year and we are starting to see results. Not good enough for Stu though! Not spirited enough! Go wander blindfolded onto 41st street.

Monday had the potential to be a historic night for this state as a whole, but the Grizzlies seemed to understand that better than the Jacks or their faint-hearted fans.
              Ah. If only the Jacks understood the potential of what this game meant! Didn't anyone tell them that this game was important?! Obviously the only reason Oakland won is because they understood better than the Jacks.

This is the **** that passes for journalism these days?

Before Monday, despite evidence to the contrary, the hope existed that the Jacks might finally begin to realize their Division I basketball ambitions.
              "Evidence to the contrary" - what evidence, Stu? I have English professors that would take tons of points off for just putting a statement like that in a paper without mentioning what that evidence is. And I enjoy how Stu knew better than the rest of us. Of course he did.

Instead they remain the Hugh Hefner of the Summit League - always overshadowed by the women.
              Hilarious. A Hugh Hefner joke. Timely. Also implies that it's a bad thing to be Hugh Hefner. Yeah, that would be terrible.

What ****ing terrible sentence.

After winning at least 20 games for eight of Nagy's nine seasons at the D-II level, SDSU lost 18 or more in its first five years after moving up and out of the North Central Conference.

It was a brutal transition, with a frantic conference search, shoddy home opponents and numerous player defections - enough to make fans and media question the direction of the program.

There was a brief ray of hope when the Jacks made the Summit semifinals in 2009, but a lopsided loss to Oakland that night emptied the Arena faster than a Williams and Ree reunion.

Then came last year's first-round setback to IPFW, and the same old issues rose to the surface.
              Beautiful. Points out how terrible those first years were, points out progress, but yet all of that progress is not very much and it is not worth anything.

Only ray of hope that SDSU ever had was in 2009. And it was so brief. That was it. No other hope. Not the fact that the record and talent has increased steadily. Nope - that is NOT a ray of hope.

Also: a Williams and Ree joke? You know it's a good reference when anyone under 40 has to Google it. What an awful writer.

Critics claimed the Jacks were soft, defensively deficient and lacked enough prime-time players to be taken seriously when March rolled around.
              Won't argue the soft defensively argument. I've made it myself. But the prime-time players part? What does that even mean?

Maybe that's how a team scores 90 points and still loses by 20.
              I bet he patted himself on the back for 10 solid minutes after coming up with that zinger. Good one, Stu.

"It's hard to win here," says Kampe, whose team suffered first-round losses at the Summit tournament in its first three tries after making the leap from Division II.
              Holy ****! You're telling me that Oakland didn't make the Sweet 16 every year after they transitioned. Shocked.

The Jacks struck gold with Wolters, but isn't becoming a tougher, defensive-minded team more of a long-term, program-wide commitment?
              Huh? What does the Nate Wolters part of that sentence have to do with the second part? That is a brutal piece of writing.

"The Jacks found a good player, but shouldn't they try to play more defense?" WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY!? Why the but? HOW ARE THOSE THINGS RELATED????? Jesus. Anyone that works for the Argus Leader: I will write better **** than this for 1/3 of what he makes. And my face looks better on the by-line!

Sticking with that theme, it's fair to ask if the Jacks will ever get to that point if they stay on their current course.

The answer? Get serious.
              Sticking to the theme of this post, it's fair to ask if Stu Whitney will ever become a competent journalist.

The answer? Not a ****ing chance in hell.

To anyone that read this to the end: you must be extremely bored.
              Last edited by RabbitObsessed; 03-08-2011, 11:57 PM.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                Well, I told myself I wasn't going to do it, but I finally got around to reading that piece of **** someone tried to pass for journalism. I'm such a masochist. Obviously, I could simply comment on how putrid of an article that is and be done and go about with my life. That would be the best decision to make. But once again, I'm a masochist, and I just can't let that article go. I know the mantra "don't let Stu rent space" but I need to do this for myself. I'm going to break this thing down piece by piece and point out why it is ****ing trash. If you want to stop reading now, I understand. I apologize for the amount of hate.

And we're off:

Hell of a start. Hell.of.a.start. As a journalist, it's important to capture the attention of the readers right away. What's going bad for SDSU MBB? EVERYTHING! WE ARE ****ED PEOPLE! DISBAND THE WHOLE ****ING PROGRAM!

Never mind the fact that other than Nate, the two best players were both freshman. Maybe Stu missed that. Or maybe he only knows the Nate's name because TV wrote an article about it. I bet Stu felt smart mentioning the name of a player that plays for SDSU. Only one he knew (don't worry that he just read about him this week) though, but that doesn't matter.

Something tells me that since it had to be said was the only reason Stu wrote it. If he could have, he would have explained to his reader-ship (this message board and any of his family that still claim him. So this message board, basically) that SDSU lost to Lincoln High School's girl C team. This just in: Oakland is good.

You see? It's not that simple. It's not that Oakland is good. It's that SDSU is bad!

I'm not denying that we have a ways to go. I'm not happy with simply making the second round of the SL tournament every year. I want to go to a NCAA tournament. But I will be shocked if Stu watched the SDSU men play before this tournament. Anyone (that knows what they are talking about - sorry Stu) that has watched this team during the past three years can see the obvious improvements made by this years team. We beat Iowa. Played with UofM. Kicked the **** out of IUPUI.

Other side of the coin: OAKLAND IS REALLY ****ING GOOD! Did Stu even watch the game? Those guys are stacked. Stu probably left thinking it was just like another GPAC game. Good God that team is awesome.

STU WIHITNEY MAD LIBS

[Something slightly positive] BUT [Something slightly negative]. [Something that overplays the significance of the negative thing]. [Cherry picked stat that doesn't actually have anything to do with anything]

Clint and Dale who played horrendously against Oakland. I'm going to miss watching those guys play and they were both awesome and we probably don't beat IPFW without Dlae, but they both played like **** against Oakland while the young kids played like seniors. But don't forget, we have NOTHING to look forward to!

Once again: Oakland is ****ing awesome. They are the epitome of what a Summit League team should be. This year's version was the best version of all of those teams.

What a beautiful sentence. How big of an assbag does one need to be to turn "starting to get there" into a negative? What does this dumb**** want? Nagy has made progress with the team every year and we are starting to see results. Not good enough for Stu though! Not spirited enough! Go wander blindfolded onto 41st street.

Ah. If only the Jacks understood the potential of what this game meant! Didn't anyone tell them that this game was important?! Obviously the only reason Oakland won is because the understood better than the Jacks.

This is the **** that passes for journalism these days?

"Evidence to the contrary" - what evidence, Stu? I have English professors that would take tons of points off for just putting a statement like that in a paper without mentioning what that evidence is. And I enjoy how Stu knew better than the rest of us. Of course he did.

Hilarious. A Hugh Hefner joke. Timely. Also implies that it's a bad thing to be Hugh Hefner. Yeah, that would be terrible.

What ****ing terrible sentence.

Beautiful. Points out how terrible those first years were, points out progress, but yet all of that progress is not very much and it is not worth anything.

Only ray of hope that SDSU ever had was in 2009. And it was so brief. That was it. No other hope. Not the fact that the record and talent has increased steadily. Nope - that is NOT a ray of hope.

Also: a Williams and Ree joke? You know it's a good reference when anyone under 40 has to Google it. What an awful writer.

Won't argue the soft defensively argument. I've made it myself. But the prime-time players part? What does that even mean?

I bet he patted himself on the back for 10 solid minutes after coming up with that zinger. Good one, Stu.

Holy ****! You're telling me that Oakland didn't make the Sweet 16 every year after they transitioned. Shocked.

Huh? What does the Nate Wolters part of that sentence have to do with the second part? That is a brutal piece of writing.

"The Jacks found a good player, but shouldn't they try to play more defense?" WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY!? Why the but? HOW ARE THOSE THINGS RELATED????? Jesus. Anyone that works for the Argus Leader: I will write better **** than this for 1/3 of what he makes. And my face looks better on the by-line!

Sticking to the theme of this post, it's fair to ask if Stu Whitney will ever become a competent journalist.

The answer? Not a ****ing chance in hell.

To anyone that read this to the end: you must be extremely bored.
                I'm not bored, that was just one of the best rants I have ever seen. Amazing.

Whenever you go on your rants, it's pure gold.

Someone hit him with some reps for me please

Comment

Coach Kampe's comments in last night's night presser should be encouraging words for Jackrabbit fans.

"They scare me because they remind me so much of us. The first three years we were eligible for this tournament we got beat on the first night. It's hard to win here. It's a whole different environment. That big freshman (Jordan Dykstra) is a good player. That point guard (Wolters) is a good player. They're probably missing couple pieces. They just have to have patience. Everybody else has scholarships and everyone else wants to win too."

Comment

that was funny stuff there... thank you...

We were talking about this today. Our theory ... you can always tell when the Argus Leader is thinking "Hmm, I wonder what story is missing in order to make this package appealing to national judges at contest."

In Stu's mind (what a scary place to visit) we have T.V., a good beat writer who works his assets off covering this tournament, with how many stories, blogs, etc.. through out the entire event. In just doing his job, he outshines Stu.

So now, we visit the scary place....

"I know I can't compete," radiates through Stu's mind. "What could I write that would show, I am involved in this process and stand out .. something judges could look at, and if they are not familiar with the area think, 'Oh, this viewpoint is valid and relevant. If this article were not included in this package, I would be missing a large piece of the story.'

"I know, I will write my typical opinion piece. I don't have to back up my statements with fact, it's opinion you know. I don't have to be correct. I can say whatever I want and nobody can tell me no. Why? Because I am the sports editor and I get the last call on the sports page and on what we submit. Here is my chance to win a piece of the award. That may keep me my job next round of layoffs. If I can say, but I am part of that winning writing team, I am important, I am safe for another year."

And, stupid thing is... he will be.

Comment

The only part of the argument I somewhat agree with is the part about the fans not showing up. The arena should have been sold out. The fact that there were a number of high school games and the roads weren't great probably were the main reason but even if you aren't a Jacks fan, if you are a fan of basketball you should have shown up just to watch because of the talent that is on the floor.

And don't be bashing on Williams and Ree, those are Black Hills State alum

As far for the rest of the argument, it would have been one thing if they lost to a team like UMKC by 20, but anybody who had any knowledge of Summit league basketball knew that it would take a perfect game on both ends of the floor to win.

But for a team whose 8 man rotation consisted of 5 underclassmen, and 3 freshman, a game in which 71 of the 90 points were by underclassmen, 44 which were by freshman. A team who has got more big time area recruits then its lost (Dykstra, White, Feigen, Wolters, Heemstra, Carlson, Moss, Sargent, and Horstman next year) over the past 4 years, for a team that you look at and say they are on there way up. I think this article is wrong.

I just wonder if he will write this article when USD gets blown out in the first round of the tournament there first time.

I understand that its his job to be the critic, and maybe some of his articles over the past 2-3 years being critical were some what warranted, but now is not the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        Coach Kampe's comments in last night's night presser should be encouraging words for Jackrabbit fans.

"They scare me because they remind me so much of us. The first three years we were eligible for this tournament we got beat on the first night. It's hard to win here. It's a whole different environment. That big freshman (Jordan Dykstra) is a good player. That point guard (Wolters) is a good player. They're probably missing couple pieces. They just have to have patience. Everybody else has scholarships and everyone else wants to win too."
                        Kampe is one coach i can not get a read on if I like him or not. Sutton, dont like, hunter dont like, UMKC coach like, SUU coach like. as for the women coaches, can't stand Dinkwhiner and Paul got my wish and then handed to him again. Like oaklands coach.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Stu is a blowhard and writes for reaction not to be informative, don't believe you can call that journalism. My two cents after watching Monday's game...Dykstra is the real deal and he is going to lead this team to a successful future. Can't wait for next season...counting the days. GB GB GJ.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Kampe is one coach i can not get a read on if I like him or not. Sutton, dont like, hunter dont like, UMKC coach like, SUU coach like. as for the women coaches, can't stand Dinkwhiner and Paul got my wish and then handed to him again. Like oaklands coach.
                            yeah Kampe seems like a tool because of the way he works the officials but he gets his way so do you blame him? He is a good coach and is generally very complementary of the competition.
                            As far as the Sutton's (both of them), they both look like they are wondering why they are at Oral Roberts and not the Big 12. What did they do wrong, really they just look out of it, they are both very good coaches, but they just look out of it.

I like Fife, and UMKC's coach, both of them are energetic, exciting, and so on.
                            Hunter I haven't got a good read on him yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                              I'm not bored, that was just one of the best rants I have ever seen. Amazing.

Whenever you go on your rants, it's pure gold.

Someone hit him with some reps for me please
                              Thank you. Genuinely appreciated
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                yeah Kampe seems like a tool because of the way he works the officials but he gets his way so do you blame him? He is a good coach and is generally very complementary of the competition.
                                As far as the Sutton's (both of them), they both look like they are wondering why they are at Oral Roberts and not the Big 12. What did they do wrong, really they just look out of it, they are both very good coaches, but they just look out of it.

I like Fife, and UMKC's coach, both of them are energetic, exciting, and so on.
                                Hunter I haven't got a good read on him yet.
                                Fife I think tries to work the Bob night thing and act like he his players should be able to get away with murder. Hunters a big whiner to the refs, but really did it for me was when he called NDSU fans racist.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X