Best Case/Worst Case Scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Case/Worst Case Scenarios

My opinion remains the same on this topic: Until the basketball team is fully funded, I will not judge a coach or their performance. It is unfair. It is like saying please drive this car, but you only get 3 wheels. Once he gets all the coaches he is allowed, and still does not produce after a couple seasons, then by all means. He was originally hired as a D2 coach, not a D1 coach, I believe all of our coaches deserve that break for a while. D1 is a completely different animal, especially in mid-major men's BB.
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Rabbit boy is really getting ripped, and in a personal way i might add, just for stating his opinon. A troll? I doubt it. If you want to see trolls, go look at the iowa and iowa state msg boards, or the des moines register message boards. I have seen message boards for many different institutions, and with all due respect, Coach Nagy has been given much more latitude than any coach with an even remotely similar success rate at this level.

Certain things need to be recognized:
      1) Coach Nagy is a man of high character and integrity.
      2) He is a proven success when he is recruiting vs other institutions with lesser facilities and/or tradition. That explains his success at DII and also explains why he has really struggled at the DI level. Not an NDSU fan by Any stretch of the imagination, but do you think he would have lasted this long there or any other DI institution? Don't bring up the transition, that is over and done and NDSU as well as SDSU's women have both been to the NCAA's while SDSU's men have struggled. Fact!
      3) Nagy has thrown his own players, ones he recruited, under the bus more times than any other coach i have ever listned to, when games are lost or when performance is not what he had hoped for. Players need to be held accountable, but coaches need to accept responsibility in a reasonable way at times rather than doing it in a condescending manner.
      4) He seems to be recognizing how to relate to/motivate/challenge his players in a more effective manner, which is necessary when you simply don't have more talent than the competition, which is what took place at the DII level.
      5) There has been improvement over the past few years which is good to see. I do honestly hope the Jacks improve again this season. I hope Nagy is the coach for a long time. There is not a coach in the country, Any coach, who can not find ways to get better and become more successful. It is called "being less prideful" and realizing that all individuals can do a better job. Fortunately, Nagy seems to be realizing that, and thanks to the longest leash in DI, he is getting the opportunity to experience the rewards of becoming a better coach.

This years' team, especially with the Iowa kids, is going to be a very talented group with plenty of ups and downs, but I believe Nagy will make them competitive. I guess I will get ripped now, but figured i'd share my opinion anyway. God Bless!!

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy View Post
        1) Coach Nagy is a man of high character and integrity.

3) Nagy has thrown his own players, ones he recruited, under the bus more times than any other coach i have ever listned to, when games are lost or when performance is not what he had hoped for. Players need to be held accountable, but coaches need to accept responsibility in a reasonable way at times rather than doing it in a condescending manner.
        That's exactly the sort of contradiction that I've come to expect from Nagy trashers. A preemptive "I respect (Nagy/SDSU) but....."

Just use my Automatic Nagy Trasher. It'll save you the effort.

http://carpix.org/nagy/index.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          That's exactly the sort of contradiction that I've come to expect from Nagy trashers. A preemptive "I respect (Nagy/SDSU) but....."

Okay, this wasn't funny the first time you posted it; there is no need to post it again.

And I fail to understand how his post trashed Nagy at all.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
            Okay, this wasn't funny the first time you posted it; there is no need to post it again.
            I didn't know you were the forum den mother.

I'll post what I want, subject to the real moderators, not your opinions.

And the "Automatic Nagy Trasher" isn't intended to be funny. It's intended to point out the repetitive and logically defective criticisms directed at Nagy.
            And I fail to understand how his post trashed Nagy at all.
            Your failure to recognize unsupported character slurs and unfounded accusations is not my problem.

Comment

Nagy IS a man of high character and integrity. Anyone who has EVER listened to a post-game interview can attest to the fact that the players are consistently the first ones who receive the brunt of the criticism if the team has not performed to expectations, and up until the last season or so, if Nagy did take any blame it was for "not doing a good enough job of getting the guys ready to play" or "allowing too difficult of a schedule to be put together" or some other indirect comment which essentially placed the blame on the backs of others. The FACT that has taken place is not an attack on one's character or integrity.

Don't confuse the term "perfection" with high character or integrity.

Nagy is a good guy and over the past few seasons an improving coach, which is a good thing for the program.

Comment

Nagy IS a man of high character and integrity. Anyone who has EVER listened to a post-game interview can attest to the fact that the players are consistently the first ones who receive the brunt of the criticism if the team has not performed to expectations, and up until the last season or so, if Nagy did take any blame it was for "not doing a good enough job of getting the guys ready to play" or "allowing too difficult of a schedule to be put together" or some other indirect comment which essentially placed the blame on the backs of others. The FACT that has taken place is not an attack on one's character or integrity.

Don't confuse the term "perfection" with high character or integrity.

Nagy is a good guy and over the past few seasons an improving coach, which is a good thing for the program.
                Well, it is the players fault when they played lazy or sloppy. There is only so much a coach can do to get his team into a game. At some point the players have to be held responsible.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  Well, it is the players fault when they played lazy or sloppy. There is only so much a coach can do to get his team into a game. At some point the players have to be held responsible.
                  The players should ALWAYS be held responsible. The place for that is in the locker room or on the practice and game floor. Calling a group or individual out on occasion is understandable, if not expected. Doing it on a consistent basis loses it's effect and comes off as shirking your responsibility as a head coach.

We can agree to disagree about things. Nagy is human, and in spite of what some supporters think, still has room to improve as a coach. The good thing for the Jacks is that he has started to recognize that, and in the end the players and the ultimately the program will benefit.

All good for Jacks fans.

Comment

The players should ALWAYS be held responsible. The place for that is in the locker room or on the practice and game floor. Calling a group or individual out on occasion is understandable, if not expected. Doing it on a consistent basis loses it's effect and comes off as shirking your responsibility as a head coach.

We can agree to disagree about things. Nagy is human, and in spite of what some supporters think, still has room to improve as a coach. The good thing for the Jacks is that he has started to recognize that, and in the end the players and the ultimately the program will benefit.

All good for Jacks fans.
                    And, in spite of what some people think, Nagy isn't the worst coach in basketball. Just like many have rose colored glasses when it comes to the men's team, there are just as many that refuse to see the progess.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      And, in spite of what some people think, Nagy isn't the worst coach in basketball. Just like many have rose colored glasses when it comes to the men's team, there are just as many that refuse to see the progess.
                      Specific positive points have been made about the current coach. For the comment "nagy is the worst coach in basketball" to be somehow extrapolated from any post i've ever put on this board is borderline paranoid and at the very least a complete over-reaction.

My goodness, if you actually look at the entirety of my post, don't take any comments out of context, and maintain somewhat of an objective perspective, you will see a relatively optimistic overview.

As DI fans and boosters of a program or department, dialogue and difference of opinion are important and valuable. Constructive criticism and objective perspective are not bad things; Over-reacting to them however, is counter-productive.

Best of Luck to the Jacks this season. Too tired of "defending" specific comments which are taken out of context. Will stop back by when the season is under way.

Comment

Specific positive points have been made about the current coach. For the comment "nagy is the worst coach in basketball" to be somehow extrapolated from any post i've ever put on this board is borderline paranoid and at the very least a complete over-reaction.

My goodness, if you actually look at the entirety of my post, don't take any comments out of context, and maintain somewhat of an objective perspective, you will see a relatively optimistic overview.

As DI fans and boosters of a program or department, dialogue and difference of opinion are important and valuable. Constructive criticism and objective perspective are not bad things; Over-reacting to them however, is counter-productive.

Best of Luck to the Jacks this season. Too tired of "defending" specific comments which are taken out of context. Will stop back by when the season is under way.
                        I wasn't targeting your post specifically, but a more general attitude that some have. Paranoia goes both ways I see.

Comment

Ok. You win.

Comment

I didn't know you were the forum den mother.

I'll post what I want, subject to the real moderators, not your opinions.

And the "Automatic Nagy Trasher" isn't intended to be funny. It's intended to point out the repetitive and logically defective criticisms directed at Nagy.

Your failure to recognize unsupported character slurs and unfounded accusations is not my problem.
                            Which 'unsupported' character slurs are you referring to? The one where hoops dude said Nagy is improving as a coach? Or the one where he said he hopes Nagy is the coach for a long time? You read want you wanted to read and then completely exagerated the amount of criticism given. He said he wanted Nagy to be the coach for a long time, yet you called him a 'Nagy trasher' and then posted your lame little link, which may or may not be the stupidest thing on the internet.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

All good for Jacks fans.
                              So what you're saying is.....don't let your personality flaws get in the way of becomming, say another Wooden.

Comment

The team has the most talent it has ever had, they got extra workouts this summer and crushed Canadian teams in 4 exhibition games. We have more wins and have moved up in the conference standings each of the last 3 season.

Maybe some of the Nagy bashers could wait for the season to start before they post their same old same old. Is that too much to ask?

Comment

Working...
                                X