2010 Signing Day Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Signing Day Thread

Anybody else get the impression of the quotes from the staff regarding the 2011 recruiting class starts today means they dropped the ball and got out on the trail too late?

I'm going to say, this class doesn't blow me away, but it may have something to do with the number of guys in the trenches. They are the less glamorous positions, but a big factor when it comes to W's and L's.

Unfortunately defensive backfield was probably not addressed like it probably was needed. Fortunately O-line seems to have been addressed extensively, as it should have been, to protect the QB's of the future, TOB and Sumner. I'm still waiting for the all-purpose burner such as Mariani (we know where he's from).

Of course and asterik can be placed behind everyone and everything when it comes to recruiting because potential never won any games.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
      Anybody else get the impression of the quotes from the staff regarding the 2011 recruiting class starts today means they dropped the ball and got out on the trail too late?
      I don't know. Our coaches are very open and honest and reflective about what they do. I like that. If they felt like they got going too late, they'll change it. Seems like we got a solid class.

I always find the lack of coach-speak from our staff refreshing.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
        I do not accept your ending of thread drift!!
        More recently, "Ted Mosbey, Architect".
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

If you recall, I reported that Stig told a group of us in Yankton that he felt like they did get on the trail to late. He said the landscape in recruiting at this level seems different. He gets the impression kids just want a scholarship at the DI level and might be less interested in what a program can truly offer. He didn't refer to any recruit specifically but made it clear that several SDSU were interested in verballed very early in the process and he felt they were off-limits. Obviously, this wasn't true for every recruit but for many of them according to Coach Stig. Dropped the ball might be a little harsh but they definitely plan to get on the trail earlier next year.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the all-purpose burner such as Mariani (we know where he's from).

Look no further than this year's WR Dom Wright, or last years WR Trevor Tiefenthaler.

Dom Wright's top track numbers (Last year was the first year he's ever ran track)
            100m - 10.5 as a junior in high school
            200m - 21.5 (His 21.79 was 2nd place at the Missouri state meet in the highest class)

Nice article about Dom: http://www.examiner.net/sports/blues...ice-with-track
            His brother Winston is a freshman DB for Missouri.

Trevor Tiefenthaler's track numbers:
            Ran a 4.43 40 yard dash
            200m - 22.0
            400m - 49.4

Comment

Well there is one position that we did not recruit and I am glad too. That is "Athlete". I never really understood why some recruits don't have a position, but they are a great "Athlete". It just seems like these types of recruits don't pan out. They are too short or too light to really play every down.

The other description of a player I don't like to see is when someone states that they have a huge upside. To me that usually means that right now he is not that good, but has potential to be good. I would much rather recruit a kid that is good now and will only get better than someone average with potential.

I would rather offer a walk-on spot to someone that dominated 8-man football than someone from the largest class in a Metro Area that held his own against great competition. If someone can dominate at one level, he can also do the same at the next level, you just don't know. It is worth the risk to give the kid a chance.

All in all I really like the class Stig and the staff put together.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post

I would rather offer a walk-on spot to someone that dominated 8-man football than someone from the largest class in a Metro Area that held his own against great competition. If someone can dominate at one level, he can also do the same at the next level, you just don't know. It is worth the risk to give the kid a chance.

I agree and I think the coaches agree as well. They offered perferred walk-ons to Tunge and the two 8man Nebraska kids. It's probably hard to project a kid that is playing 8/9 man football

Comment

Well there is one position that we did not recruit and I am glad too. That is "Athlete". I never really understood why some recruits don't have a position, but they are a great "Athlete". It just seems like these types of recruits don't pan out. They are too short or too light to really play every down.

The other description of a player I don't like to see is when someone states that they have a huge upside. To me that usually means that right now he is not that good, but has potential to be good. I would much rather recruit a kid that is good now and will only get better than someone average with potential.

I've got no problem recruiting "athletes" with upside. I seem to remember JaRon Harris being that type of a recruit and he turned out just fine.

Comment

I think you can find a lot of similarities between football players that play at SDSU. For instance, Jake Steffen looks like a Danny Batten clone. TOB looks like a Ryan Berry clone. Dom Clare reminds me of Anthony Watson. Walker Woods reminded my of Koenig.

Alot of the recruits that we got this year remind me of current or former players.

here's what I see

TE Nick Lee looks very similar to TE Colin Cochart. Both have long strides and both excelled at basketball.

WR Jason Schneider reminds me alot of WR Mike Steffen. Might be more polished as a WR than Steffen was when he came in and he is also bigger.

LB Jack Sherlock looks like LB Derek Domino. Tall, can run, and very smooth in his pursuit to the ball carrier.

DE/DT Dijon Starr reminds me of DE Tony Thompson & DT Chase Douglas. Stocky and like Thompson and Douglas is a good shot put thrower. Starr was 3rd at MN state track meet last year in highest class.

Sumner looks like a Brad Nelson but better and bigger. The kid has an NFL type of body at 6'5" 215

K Syrovatka looks like the next Parker Douglas and P Sawyer reminds me of Neil Bainbridge.

Both RB Tunge and RB Zenner look like Kyle Minett clones. Specifically Zenner, strong hard nose runners with good hands that turn their hips upfield and runs straight through guys.

WR Dom Wright is a carbon copy of WR Jaron Harris. Fast players that need some refining but they have the speed to compete with any FCS player.

Comment

Of course, none of this should be surprising---no more than looking at Garret Callahan, Clint Sargent, and Nate Wolters---although Nate is a true point, they have some definite similarities in how they impact the game. Think back to how Callahan played during the final minutes of the ORU tournament win, and compare that with how Wolters played when the ORU game was on the line at Frost.

Got to know how to recruit guys you can win with.

The great thing is that Stig's been able to raise the bar and recruit, say, Colin Cochart version 1.5, etc.

--and as an aside, tip of the hat to Stig for recruiting versatile players and not loading up at certain positions. A less well balanced team would have struggled going from Berry to Crawford/TOB, and as a whole, the Jacks improved.

---and as another aside, kudos to Stig for recognizing the importance of the lines--especially the O-line. A stout offensive line can make up for a lot of shortcomings/inexperience at the 'skill' positions.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post

Sumner looks like a Brad Nelson but better and bigger. The kid has an NFL type of body at 6'5" 215
                        Well I think Sumner looks a lot like Mike Busch. They are about the same size and I know Mike could throw a rope. I hope Sumner can also. The Busch to Tiefenthaler combo was very good in the mid 80's. Hopefully the Sumner to Tiefenthaler can be as good.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

IMO, the "athlete" term is not one that should get hung up on. Often times the position a player was at in HS is no where near where they'll playing college. For example, I never got in a three point stance in HS (I played a slot receiver) and played DE/LB on defense. I was NOT recruited as a WR, nor as a defenseive player. Ended up as a TE because it made sense. Plenty of others out there like that. There may be some recent examples of "athletes" coming in and not panning out, but one could also look at recruiting classes, positions listed, and position played in year four.

Hopefully a good class.
                          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Well I think Sumner looks a lot like Mike Busch. They are about the same size and I know Mike could throw a rope. I hope Sumner can also. The Busch to Tiefenthaler combo was very good in the mid 80's. Hopefully the Sumner to Tiefenthaler can be as good.
                            I believe Mike Busch is an asst. on Brookings high school football team and maybe calling the offense next year. The guy could simply throw it and throw it far.

Comment

Didn't Mike Busch play for the NY Giants during a strike year? What year was that and am I correct in my memory?

Also - don't want to talk smack on this thread - but where have the Jacks haters gone that were selling us down the river when we had 1 signee and our neighbors to the north had 68, or something?

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                                Didn't Mike Busch play for the NY Giants during a strike year? What year was that and am I correct in my memory?

Also - don't want to talk smack on this thread - but where have the Jacks haters gone that were selling us down the river when we had 1 signee and our neighbors to the north had 68, or something?
                                Yes both Busch and Tiefenthaler played but for different teams. They still hold the longest pass play in SDSU history of 91 yards.

Comment

Working...
                                X