Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Signing Day Thread

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    ...and while cleaning, he wouldn't lift his feet while I try to vacuum under his chair so I put CCdeville in the corner for four days.

I asked a brother-in-law about DiJon Starr, the recuit from Blaine. He watched Blaine play a couple times this year but didn't focus on any player in particular. Blaine made it to the State Championships in 08. The 09 team may not have had as much talent but its reputation was that the team played with a lot of heart and earned a spot in the final 8. They had a big line and played hard.
    My brother in law is actually one of Blaine's 20 assistant coaches (yes they have 20 assistant coaches). I asked him about Starr, he said he has a lot of talent, but would be curious to see how he reacts to getting knocked around by bigger stronger guys in college. Will he put in the effort to get better so that doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
      My brother in law is actually one of Blaine's 20 assistant coaches (yes they have 20 assistant coaches). I asked him about Starr, he said he has a lot of talent, but would be curious to see how he reacts to getting knocked around by bigger stronger guys in college. Will he put in the effort to get better so that doesn't happen.
      20 assistants!

Your brother-in-law's comment is consistent with comments by one or two other posters in this thread. The SDSU coaches must see some potential in the kid. Minnesota saw some potential but cooled off on the recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
        A coach for Rosemount? How did you let Vraa and Busher get away from the Jacks?

Just kidding.
        Vraa was a painful one to see go to NDSU. I belive academics (architecture) played a big role. They were in on him very early also.

Buscher - I had pegged for a good DIII player at best. UNI offered him last summer after their camp. Will be interesting to see how he does there. Rosemount has a lineman that's been at UNI for a couple years, so there's some history there.

Sorry for the drift.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
          Eagan v Rosemount. I'm a coach for the Rosemount freshmen team.
          By far Eagan’s worst performance of year. But Zach was a factor as he had a 48 yard punt return and scored Eagan’s only TD.

Comment

Buscher - I had pegged for a good DIII player at best. UNI offered him last summer after their camp. Will be interesting to see how he does there. Rosemount has a lineman that's been at UNI for a couple years, so there's some history there.

Sorry for the drift.
            Interesting, Bohl said Buscher was in our camp and he looked "slow".

As for your class, it looks like you guys finished strong, congrats on bringing in a solid group.

Comment

Vraa was a painful one to see go to NDSU. I belive academics (architecture) played a big role. They were in on him very early also.
              Shoot. SDSU has an architecture program starting this fall. But I can certainly understand a student athlete going for something more established.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                Interesting, Bohl said Buscher was in our camp and he looked "slow".
                Exactly. Thus my (and others) thought that he would be a good DIII player.

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Shoot. SDSU has an architecture program starting this fall. But I can certainly understand a student athlete going for something more established.
                Kare11 here in the Cities did a Academic spotlight on him a couple weeks ago, sounded like his career path into architecture is pretty well set and that was one of the deciding factors on school for him. Oh well, you can't win em all, just hope he doesn't do too much damage to us over the course of his career.

Comment

Article from Terry in today's Argus. Some really good quotes in there from our coaches about the need to speed up the recruiting process next year. But that they are very happy they were able to get a lot of their top kids. Make sure to hit the recommend button after you click the link to the article.

Jackrabbits putting it on the line
                  SDSU grows, vows to pick up recruiting pace
                  Terry Vandrovec • February 4, 2010

BROOKINGS - South Dakota State went big in its 2010 recruiting class. Ten of the 21 prep football players that signed national letters of intent Wednesday will play offensive or defensive line for the Jackrabbits.

Meanwhile, speed already seems to be a point of emphasis next year not so much on the field, but in the recruiting process itself.

"We're not going to change our approach in terms of what information we need, but we're going to accelerate that," Coach John Stiegelmeier said. "I think it's a sign of what Division I stands for. It's a lot more about getting a scholarship than it is about helping a young man pick the best school for him."

(read more)

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    I'm sure that was played up to him during recruiting. Even though the program has been fully funded.

And along those lines, I wonder if the U of M backed off because it might be difficult for him to get into their program (IIRC, the U of M college of architecture is really competitive).

IMO, and off the topic, SDSU's architecture program will eventually exceed NDSU's for two reasons: 1) a definite 'center of excellence' has already been established in sustainable design, and 2) the program is not being administered by the college of engineering.

I think both factors will draw better faculty to SDSU.

Regardless, nice to see an athlete that's got his ducks in a row off the football field.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      I'm sure that was played up to him during recruiting. Even though the program has been fully funded.

And along those lines, I wonder if the U of M backed off because it might be difficult for him to get into their program (IIRC, the U of M college of architecture is really competitive).

IMO, and off the topic, SDSU's architecture program will eventually exceed NDSU's for two reasons: 1) a definite 'center of excellence' has already been established in sustainable design, and 2) the program is not being administered by the college of engineering.

I think both factors will draw better faculty to SDSU.

Regardless, nice to see an athlete that's got his ducks in a row off the football field.
                      Honestly, I am surprised he is taking up architecture, that is one of the most demanding and competitive majors at NDSU. Only so many students make it past year one and only so many students can make it into the program to start with. NDSU's architecture program has been rated as high as 18th in the country.

If he makes it through it will be a testament as to how good of a student he is.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                        Honestly, I am surprised he is taking up architecture, that is one of the most demanding and competitive majors at NDSU. Only so many students make it past year one and only so many students can make it into the program to start with. NDSU's architecture program has been rated as high as 18th in the country.

If he makes it through it will be a testament as to how good of a student he is.
                        I toyed with the idea of enrolling in NDSU's architecture program when I was in high school, but ultimately decided that profession was a mess I wanted no part of.

Things have gotten somewhat better in the past few years, but it remains a profession that imposes a severe apprenticeship, a very strenuous workload, and a reality of day-to-day practice that is very different from the charettes and theory taught at the university.

Comment

I will officially bring thread drift to a close by saying...Art Vandelay, Architect. If you don't know the reference you're probably born after 1985.

Comment

I will officially bring thread drift to a close by saying...Art Vandelay, Architect. If you don't know the reference you're probably born after 1985.
                            I thought he was an importer/exporter.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Vandelay was a judge, too.

Back on topic. I believe TV said on the video roundup of signings by area colleges (on ArgusLeader.com) that the Jacks are holding back a couple of scholarships for continued DB recruiting. So, hopefully, signing news will extend awhile longer.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Why couldn't you have made me an architect? You know I always wanted to pretend that I was an architect.
                                I do not accept your ending of thread drift!!

Comment

Working...
                                X