Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Schedule

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
    You can ask AD Justin Sell about it tomorrow at SE Staters Luncheon. It is at the 10th Street Pizza Ranch @ noon.
    I'm guessing he didn't have any answers except that they are working on it.

Air Force has an opening in 2011 and wants an FCS game:

http://www.gazette.com/sports/garnha...ir-series.html

Air Force and Florida State have canceled their home-and-home football series for the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

According to academy sports information director Troy Garnhart, Air Force wanted to keep the 2012 game at Florida State but replace the 2011 home game – which was to be the Falcons’ opener Sept. 3. Air Force coach Troy Calhoun likes playing a squad from the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) in the team’s home opener on parents’ weekend.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I took his answer at Stater's, that they are close and are "buying" a home game with an FCS team. Which means "one in done". It's been difficult because Sell and the coaches want a "sure win" for playoff purposes that "count" and don't really want to be stuck with a "home and home".
      It's also been tough because not a lot of programs want to play SDSU at CAS, due to SDSU's success at home and overall.
      Look for a Valpo, Wagner, etc.(non-scholarship) type FCS team to fill that hole for this coming season IMO.

Making the playoffs every year is the #1 priority, renewing old NCC rivalry's will come with time. Not Justin Sell's statement, just my take from yesterday.

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        I took his answer at Stater's, that they are close and are "buying" a home game with an FCS team. Which means "one in done". It's been difficult because Sell and the coaches want a "sure win" for playoff purposes that "count" and don't really want to be stuck with a "home and home".
        It's also been tough because not a lot of programs want to play SDSU at CAS, due to SDSU's success at home and overall.
        Look for a Valpo, Wagner, etc.(non-scholarship) type FCS team to fill that hole for this coming season IMO.

Making the playoffs every year is the #1 priority, renewing old NCC rivalry's will come with time. Not Justin Sell's statement, just my take from yesterday.

Go Jacks!!
        Wagner I can see. But after we pounded Valpo a few years ago (the year after NDSU pounded them), their AD said they don't want to play scholarship FCS teams anymore.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Go Jacks!!
          That is what I expected and I think a very reasonable thing. I'd love to see a program like Delaware or Georgia Southern in Brookings again and a 2 for 1 against UND or USD would be great too, but those things seem unlikely to occur. So, write the check and meet me in Brookings.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Go Jacks!!
            I believe Wagner is limited scholarship (32 or so), so that would at least be a way better game than one against a non-scholarship team such as Drake or Valpo
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              Wagner I can see. But after we pounded Valpo a few years ago (the year after NDSU pounded them), their AD said they don't want to play scholarship FCS teams anymore.
              Their administration must have had a change of heart . . . or a need for some cash; Valpo is opening the 2010 season at Western Illinois.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/127/9584/

Nevertheless, SDSU needs to get a 5th home game on the docket. If it's a non-scholarship FCS game or UND, I don't care.

Comment

Today on TV's weekly chat, he mentioned that a FCS game is close with an east coast FCS team. THought it was post-worthy.

Comment

If this is true the east coast teams that have openings to match ours are:

for Sept. 4

Bucknell
                  Lafayette
                  Davidson
                  Dayton
                  Robert Morris

for Nov. 20

Dayton
                  Marist
                  Georgetown

I personally would like to see Lafayette, because they have a good program, but I don't see them traveling to Brookings. I would guess someone like maybe Bucknell or maybe a Dayton who wants to prove playoff worthyness. Also I believe all these teams are non-scholly or partial scholly teams. Just my $.02

*Some of these teams aren't as east coast as the name would infer, but they are in what are considered east coast conferences at least to me
                  Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Lafayette has Sept 4 as a bye as they already have 11 games scheduled...
                    It looks like Davidson v Georgetown might be scheduled for the 4th also...
                    Bethune-Cookman looks like they have the 4th open also, if you consider Daytona Beach, Florida east coast...

So it looks like the list for Sept 4 is

Bucknell
                    Bethune-Cookman
                    Robert Morris
                    Dayton

What I can find for Nov 20

Robert Morris
                    Southeast Missouri St (not east coast though)
                    Dayton

I would guess it would be Bucknell (Patriot), Robert Morris (NEC) or Dayton (Pioneer) on Sept 4.
                    Go State! Go State!

Comment

• Re: 2010 Schedule

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA View Post
                      Lafayette has Sept 4 as a bye as they already have 11 games scheduled...
                      It looks like Davidson v Georgetown might be scheduled for the 4th also...
                      Bethune-Cookman looks like they have the 4th open also, if you consider Daytona Beach, Florida east coast...

So it looks like the list for Sept 4 is

Bucknell
                      Bethune-Cookman
                      Robert Morris
                      Dayton

What I can find for Nov 20

Robert Morris
                      Southeast Missouri St (not east coast though)
                      Dayton

I would guess it would be Bucknell (Patriot), Robert Morris (NEC) or Dayton (Pioneer) on Sept 4.
                      Getting any of the Patriots to play outside the region has been a virtual impossibility.
                      Robert Morris may be good, as they need to have games (and wins) vs "full schollie" leagues' teams to have a shot at an at-large. NEC has Albany/CCSU and others that are the reason that the play-offs are growing to 20 to accomodate the NEC and Big South that have the sufficient 6 members and made the request to get auto-bids.

Dayton is a typical powerhouse of the Pioneer, and like San Diego or Drake, can be a good non-schollie D-I. Either Robert Morris or Dayton would be my bet.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        Getting any of the Patriots to play outside the region has been a virtual impossibility.
                        Robert Morris may be good, as they need to have games (and wins) vs "full schollie" leagues' teams to have a shot at an at-large. NEC has Albany/CCSU and others that are the reason that the play-offs are growing to 20 to accomodate the NEC and Big South that have the sufficient 6 members and made the request to get auto-bids.

Dayton is a typical powerhouse of the Pioneer, and like San Diego or Drake, can be a good non-schollie D-I. Either Robert Morris or Dayton would be my bet.
                        ARE all the teams posted Div1 or Div 1 AA?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                          ARE all the teams posted Div1 or Div 1 AA?
                          Yes they are all FCS (1-AA) teams.

It looks like Bucknell is taken also, so that leaves Robert Morris, Dayton and Bethune-Cookman as FCS schools that have Sept 4 open.

The NEC (Robert Morris) is a limited scholarship conference, close to 40 I think and has an autobid starting this year. The Pioneer (Dayton) has no scholarships and no autobid. The MEAC (Bethune-Cookman) is a full scholarship league with an autobid.

In terms of "east coast" we have

Pittsburgh, PA (Robert Morris)
                          Dayton, Ohio (Dayton)
                          Daytona Beach, Florida (Bethune-Cookman)

I noticed too that Alcorn State and Arkansas-Pine Bluff out of the SWAC have the 4th open too. Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Texas Southern have Nov 20th open too but I don't think they would make the trip to South Dakota in November...

If Nov 20th is the day, both Robert Morris and Dayton are open and the only other FCS school that could do a road game on the 20th (minus the SWAC schools just listed) is UND...
                          Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            If this is true the east coast teams that have openings to match ours are:

for Sept. 4

Bucknell
                            Lafayette
                            Davidson
                            Dayton
                            Robert Morris

for Nov. 20

Dayton
                            Marist
                            Georgetown
                            Not bad company if we are talking basketball...

The opening game would be best. Can't imagine many turning out in Nov for this list.

Comment

Preview of Deleware for 2010:

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...+sunny+outlook

Comment

Looks like another FCS school now has Sept 4th open. Wagner out of the NEC was tentatively scheduled to play D-II Pace, but now Pace is playing D-II East Stroudsburg State on the 4th. Wagner played NDSU last year and lost 28-59. Wagner is as "east coast" as it gets being in Staten Island, New York.
                                Go State! Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X