Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU v SIU

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
    RO when I was younger I thought knew quite a bit. As I aged I learned I wasn't nearly as smart as I thought. I learned that there is no food that cures a hangover, no line that makes a woman amorous, no pill that makes a man thin, no secret formula for stock trading, and no magic system in sports to guarantee a win.

I just saw this post after wading through the all-night argument and ..... WHAT THE HECK? Bad enough to lose a football game, but now to be told red beer doesn't cure a hangover. .... What the heck??????

Comment

Red beer ain't food.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        I just saw this post after wading through the all-night argument and ..... WHAT THE HECK? Bad enough to lose a football game, but now to be told red beer doesn't cure a hangover. .... What the heck??????
        the only way to cure a hang over is to get drunk again.... no joke, my wellness teacher told us it....

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          Lord I wish this comment had been about 10 pages ago. I will try to remember to give rep points as soon as I can again.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Well, I didn't make it to the game as I had planned (bad fan, I know!)... but I did catch the game on-line. Some of my thoughts...

1) I wonder if the team didn't put TOO much pressure on itself. You go in with a lot on the line, against a very good team with a coach that's had Stig's number since the D-II days and I wonder if they didn't get the "Deer caught in headlights" look. I think of USF when they played UND... Granted the S@$*x were supposedly the better team, but the Coo went up there with the attitude that they had nothing to lose. And it worked! I think we gotta have that attitude next week against U of M, along with a big chip on our shoulders.

2) A lot of people seem to be upset with Stig and the coaching staff because we got shellacked. A lot of second-guessing and "Sunday Morning Quarterbacking". And I'm sure out there, there are some fans that would feel a regime change would not be a bad idea. Well, that idea reeks of "Throwing the Baby out with the bathwater."

Yeah, SIU gave us a big bloody nose yesterday; it happens. Hell, Iowa lost to an "inferior" team in Northwestern yesterday, so it doesn't just happen to us. But I can remember the last time we got our noses bloodied (or muddied) at home... Filbert and the old-timers call it "The Game that Shall Not Be Mentioned". A lot of people called for Stig's head then, too. So what happened? Seven wins in a row, plus a top-25 finish to round out the season plus a game away from a conference title.

We got embarrassed at home yesterday, no doubt about it. But I'm not ready to go into full-blown panic mode yet. We're 7-2, two more games to go in the season. There's no reason we can't go 1-0 for the next two Saturdays. You have a Minnesota squad who's probably overlooking us and then you have a struggling Western Illinois team. If the Jacks can use this game for motivation (or "tackling fuel" as they say in "The Waterboy"), I'm gonna feel sorry for the Gophers and Leathernecks. And if we play SIU in the playoffs, I'm gonna feel sorry for the Salukis, too!

I have been, and always will be, a Jackrabbit fan. Live long and prosper, dudes!
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
              And I'm sure out there, there are some fans that would feel a regime change would not be a bad idea.
              I have not heard a single person allude to that at all. Not a hint. Not a whisper. Nothing. I don't know why you mentioned it. If you think you've caught in inkling of that here, I think you're reading way too much into some innocent second-guessing by anonymous people on a discussion board.

This isn't NDSU or USD. We're 7-2 and heading to the playoffs if we take care of business.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                I have to agree with this when pertaining to our play calling when the quarterback is under center. When we run Ace or I Formation, the defense knows exactly what we are doing (either a straight ahead run or a 3 step drop pass). I am all for call control and commitment to the run, but you can do this without being vanilla about it. Where are the counters, play action, bootlegs, traps, zone stretches, and draws out of these under center formations? The opposing linebackers know almost from the instant of the snap whether to be coming up to stop the run or dropping back in their zone, and we provide no reason for them to think twice about what to do.
                And yet somehow, we have the #5 rusher in FCS. Something doesn't add up here.

The defense can know EXACTLY what you are running as long as everybody executes, which is a strong point of this team. We didn't do a very good job of executing yesterday on offense, defense, or special teams.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with our play calling, regardless of who is under center.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  I have not heard a single person allude to that at all. Not a hint. Not a whisper. Nothing. I don't know why you mentioned it. If you think you've caught in inkling of that here, I think you're reading way too much into some innocent second-guessing by anonymous people on a discussion board.

This isn't NDSU or USD. We're 7-2 and heading to the playoffs if we take care of business.
                  smack?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                    smack?
                    IDK Yote..... I think what he was saying is there hasn't been any rumblings from fans about changing coaches like NDSU and USD.....

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

Tis true, Jimmy, but at the same time, you have to figure there are some "fans" out there who may be thinking this but just not as vocal about it. That was geared towards them.

And perhaps I'm being a little overly proactive on the situation, calling people out on it before they actually put it to words. I like Stig. I think he's a top coach and a top teacher... what he's done for this program has been nothing less than impressive, considering there were so many detractors when State made the decision to move up to D-I athletics.

In any case, I consider this game in the books... We played. We lost. We go 1-0 next week against Minnesota.
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Perhaps this was covered earlier in the thread, I'm not claiming to have read it all, but the thing that sticks in my head about this game is first and goal at the 1 in the first quarter down 10-0. With Duffy in at RB for three runs that didn't have a chance and then a FG.

I know that with our offense we run the ball a lot and they do routinely give RB's other then Minnett a series or two but in that situation - down 10-0 early in the biggest game of the season - I don't care what the rotation plan is coming into the game on that series you need your best RB punching the ball into the end zone.

A Minnett TD there and its 10-7 and you might think that we had weathered the storm and the game might have been different.
                        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          And yet somehow, we have the #5 rusher in FCS. Something doesn't add up here.
                          That is a combination of having a good running back, a good offensive line, and running the ball 60% of the time.

The defense can know EXACTLY what you are running as long as everybody executes, which is a strong point of this team. We didn't do a very good job of executing yesterday on offense, defense, or special teams.
                          The only way this applies is if a team completely over-matches their opponent in talent/skill, and even then it is tough to manage. The advantage of a defense in the game of football is that they have one more player on the field than the offense can block, while the advantage of an offense is that they know where the football is going to go. If the defense knows where the football is going as well through predictable play calling, then this neutralizes the offensive advantage.

We have been fortunate enough in many games that our offensive line (and running back) have been more skilled than the opposing teams front 7, but that just was not the case against SIU (or Northern Iowa for that matter).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with our play calling, regardless of who is under center.
                          I go back to what I originally said, and that there is something wrong with our play calling when our quarterback is under center. When we are in shotgun, our play calling isn't that bad because we open up more options for ourselves and make the defense defend more the field. The amount of field the defense has to defend increases when O'Brien is under center due to how much farther he can throw the ball over Crawford and the defense has less time to react to a TOB thrown ball due to his quicker release and velocity on his throws.

I went into a detailed comparison of the two QBs earlier in this thread and am not going to do it again. I will reiterate that I admire and respect Crawford and what he has done for this program, but he just doesn't give us the best chance to win the game when compared with TOB.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

I don't think anybody is calling for his head.... at times I get frusterrated with Stig, just like as a Twins fan I get frustrated with Gardenhire....

Stig loves veterans.... loves his type of guys.... and at times I think it may hurt the team..

I think Duffy is a good running back but if Tyrel Kool is as good as even Stig has said why don't you put him in on some of those sets? Also nothing against Duffy but when we are in the redzone and on big drives lets get our all-conference back in the game....

but on the other side of the argument a lot of people believe that senior leadership wins games and coaches who respect upperclassmen get a lot out of there players....

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              That is a combination of having a good running back, a good offensive line, and running the ball 60% of the time.

The only way this applies is if a team completely over-matches their opponent in talent/skill, and even then it is tough to manage. The advantage of a defense in the game of football is that they have one more player on the field than the offense can block, while the advantage of an offense is that they know where the football is going to go. If the defense knows where the football is going as well through predictable play calling, then this neutralizes the offensive advantage.

We have been fortunate enough in many games that our offensive line (and running back) have been more skilled than the opposing teams front 7, but that just was not the case against SIU (or Northern Iowa for that matter).

I go back to what I originally said, and that there is something wrong with our play calling when our quarterback is under center. When we are in shotgun, our play calling isn't that bad because we open up more options for ourselves and make the defense defend more the field. The amount of field the defense has to defend increases when O'Brien is under center due to how much farther he can throw the ball over Crawford and the defense has less time to react to a TOB thrown ball due to his quicker release and velocity on his throws.

I went into a detailed comparison of the two QBs earlier in this thread and am not going to do it again. I will reiterate that I admire and respect Crawford and what he has done for this program, but he just doesn't give us the best chance to win the game when compared with TOB.
                              We had 144 rushing yards against UNI and their more skilled front 7 that knew what was coming because we out-executed them.

Minnett ran for 61 yards on 11 carries against SIU. If the game wasn't a blow out forcing us to pass more than normal, he runs for 100+. Two botched snaps made our running game look a lot worse than it actually was.

I'll say it again, there is nothing wrong with our play calling.

You can say you don't like the plays we run, but there is no denying how successful the plays have been that we do run.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

We had 144 rushing yards against UNI and their more skilled front 7 that knew what was coming because we out-executed them.

Minnett ran for 61 yards on 11 carries against SIU. If the game wasn't a blow out forcing us to pass more than normal, he runs for 100+. Two botched snaps made our running game look a lot worse than it actually was.

I'll say it again, there is nothing wrong with our play calling.

You can say you don't like the plays we run, but there is no denying how successful the plays have been that we do run.
                                It seemed to ME, that the run game really opened up after the long pass early in the second half against UNI.... just what I saw....

Comment

Working...
                                X