2010 Football Recruiting List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010 Football Recruiting List

The kid still sounds fast. He ran a 4.53 using laser timing while recovering from his hammy injury. That was at the Scout.com combine and using laser timing apparantly takes out the human factor and reaction time errors. At the NFL combine last year, only 4 safeties and 6 corners ran faster times. The fastest was Chris Clemons from Clemson who ran a 4.41. The fastest time at the combine was 4.30 seconds and that earned Darrius Heywood-Bey the top WR draft pick over Michael Crabtree. (Four RB's and 20 WR's broke 4.5 seconds.)

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2...ortyTime&pos=S

To me, the bigger issue is his size and vertical jump. While 5' 10" is not tiny, combine that with a 26" vertical and he may have difficulty with bigger receivers. My son is not athletic and he can do 23". A good training program would likely be able to improve that towards 30".

If this kid has the instincts for the game, his speed and grades lead me to feel this kid has significant potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      Correct! I was not saying they were, but rather implying that some players aren't nearly as fast on the football field (when wearing pads) as they are on the track (no pads), while others stay pretty close to their 40 time on the football field.
      Agreed Kemo!

Comment

On an official visit are coaches allowed to work recruits out at all?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          On an official visit are coaches allowed to work recruits out at all?
          No...no tryouts/workouts may be conducted during a visit.

Comment

another ? I was reading that Notre Dame had 5 fb players early enroll, USC had a few, does SDSU ever have anyone early enroll? Or have they, not JuCo's, I mean high school students...

also and this is a little off topic but with PC and not Kiffin also with USF's coach and Leach being fired later then usual and with recruits their supposedly already early enrolled in some of those schools, if you early enroll and transfer do you have to sit out a year....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              another ? I was reading that Notre Dame had 5 fb players early enroll, USC had a few, does SDSU ever have anyone early enroll? Or have they, not JuCo's, I mean high school students...

also and this is a little off topic but with PC and not Kiffin also with USF's coach and Leach being fired later then usual and with recruits their supposedly already early enrolled in some of those schools, if you early enroll and transfer do you have to sit out a year....
              I can't think of any high school athletes that have come to SDSU and enrolled early. This has become even more popular for high school athletes just recently then it has been in the past. If a player enrolls he will then have to sit out a year if he transfers. That's why the top recruit for USC Kyle Prater decided to not enroll as of yet, so he can think about it some more.

Comment

Originally posted by sdjackfan40 View Post
                I can't think of any high school athletes that have come to SDSU and enrolled early. This has become even more popular for high school athletes just recently then it has been in the past. If a player enrolls he will then have to sit out a year if he transfers. That's why the top recruit for USC Kyle Prater decided to not enroll as of yet, so he can think about it some more.
                I'm pretty sure we have had a few athletes early enroll. I'm not 100% sure but I think there have been some.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It is a big advantage for football recruits to enroll early since they are then able to go through spring football putting them that much further ahead when fall rolls around. However, our coaches seem to recruit rather late and if that remains the same we will probably never see an early enrollee.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    I'm pretty sure we have had a few athletes early enroll. I'm not 100% sure but I think there have been some.
                    Jolene Slagter(sp) from the volleyball team a fews years ago enrolled early. She and her sister Laura later transferred to a lesser school to the south.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                      Jolene Slagter(sp) from the volleyball team a fews years ago enrolled early. She and her sister Laura later transferred to a lesser school to the south.
                      I think some basketball players have done the same. Again, I can't provide any specifics. Sorry for the thread drift.

I am interested to see if Coach Stig says anything about recruiting today.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

TV reported QB Jordan Thomas of Santa Ana JC committed to the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by sdjackfan40 View Post
                          TV reported QB Jordan Thomas of Santa Ana JC committed to the Jacks.
                          Looks like a pretty mobile QB with good arm strength. Much of his JC experience they used him in shot gun formation and his feet are very active at all times. He appears to have a quick release and the ability to throw the 50+ yard corner effectively. Take a look at the video from Rivals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-yZ6k9USs

He is listed at 6'2" and 200 lbs.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...-Thomas-105927

Here are some of his numbers last year.

http://ext.sac.edu/academic_progs/ex...L/teamcume.htm

185 yards/game, 21 TDs and 15 interceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                            Looks like a pretty mobile QB with good arm strength. Much of his JC experience they used him in shot gun formation and his feet are very active at all times. He appears to have a quick release and the ability to throw the 50+ yard corner effectively. Take a look at the video from Rivals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-yZ6k9USs

He is listed at 6'2" and 200 lbs.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...-Thomas-105927

Here are some of his numbers last year.

http://ext.sac.edu/academic_progs/ex...L/teamcume.htm

185 yards/game, 21 TDs and 15 interceptions.
                            Did anybody else notice their shotgun formations and think they were a little odd/inventive?
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

What a coincidence, he throws a bunch of 5 yard outs in the video and that seems to be main pass our QB's throw as well.

Which I don't really understand, I would think it's the most dangerous/ineffective route you can run. The ball travels 20 yards horizontally and 5 yards vertically and if a CB jumps the route he's gone for a pick 6. Also the receiver can't ever catch it in stride, he has to turn his shoulder towards the QB, catch the ball, and than turn direction again and go up field where he is boxed in between the defender and the sideline.
                              I'm much more in favor of slants and post routes and was really irritated by all the 5 yd outs this year (especially during the MN game).

Rant over.

Welcome to SDSU Jordan!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                                What a coincidence, he throws a bunch of 5 yard outs in the video and that seems to be main pass our QB's throw as well.

Which I don't really understand, I would think it's the most dangerous/ineffective routes you can run. The ball travels 20 yards horizontally and 5 yards vertically.
                                It puts the ball on the very edge of the defense and if done right leaves the defender 1 on 1 versus the receiver. Most coaches will assume their receiver can make the first guy miss. Barring and incompletion (or a pick), worst case is a five yard gain. Which is good unless it's 3rd and 6.
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X