SDSU and USD Battle for the Golden Pheasant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU and USD Battle for the Golden Pheasant

Can anyone tell me how far Turton is from Watertown?

Comment

Me thinks interest in the game is waning already by the direction of this thread

Comment

I personally did not have interest in this game...ever! I would rather see the thread drift to talking about little towns I have never heard of before. Was at the Grand March for prom (had to be there, daughter in it!) the other afternoon and almost got into it with a Udot supporter about SDSU not wanting to play Udot. Udot person couldn't believe I wasn't excited about the prospect of the two schools playing again. My wife has learned very well how to change the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          Can anyone tell me how far Turton is from Watertown?
          Turton is closer to Redfield than Watertown. Does that help? Who ever it was that brought up Tinkertown is the guilty one. Wait a minute, Tinkertown has a pheasant. I guess I am the guilty one wondering if Tunerville still existed. My bad.

Comment

How about Manchester. Little town between Iroquois and DeSmet on US 14. Was pretty well gone when a tornado a few years ago took out the few remaining buildings. I remember Manchester because there was the only thing remotely resembling a hill between Huron and Arlington.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Turton is closer to Redfield than Watertown. Does that help? Who ever it was that brought up Tinkertown is the guilty one. Wait a minute, Tinkertown has a pheasant. I guess I am the guilty one wondering if Tunerville still existed. My bad.
              Turton is closer to Redfield, as in the Redfield "Pheasants". This is why I brought up Turton. So no thread drift on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                I personally did not have interest in this game...ever! I would rather see the thread drift to talking about little towns I have never heard of before. Was at the Grand March for prom (had to be there, daughter in it!) the other afternoon and almost got into it with a Udot supporter about SDSU not wanting to play Udot. Udot person couldn't believe I wasn't excited about the prospect of the two schools playing again. My wife has learned very well how to change the subject.
                Yep, all of the sudden the USD guys who were ridiculing SDSU for going DI, puffing their chests out and talking about DII playoffs and the harvard on the prairie are now in our faces about getting them back on the schedule ASAP. We were fools when we decided to go DI and now we are the fools for not wanting to schedule them yesterday? I don't get what people like that are thinking.

USD will play SDSU again in the very near future. It will be the biggest game of the year for most of the USD fans, not all but most. For SDSU fans, especially those who have joined the ranks since the move to DI, it will be just another game. The main difference will be the lack of respect from USD, on the court, in the stands, at the administrative level. You can argue that however you want. I don't care to have our players on the field or floor in Vermillion.

If you are one of the SDSU supporters who wants this game above other games than your thoughts and feelings aren't consistent with our coaches or players. They want to win games, win the conference, make the playoffs/post-season and win championships. If USD happens to be on the schedule then they'll be another challenge on that road, nothing more and nothing less. Am I implying that there won't be some increased emotion as it pertains to a regional school? No, there will be that added incentive but it won't be the same for SDSU as it will be for USD.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  The main difference will be the lack of respect from USD, on the court, in the stands, at the administrative level. You can argue that however you want. I don't care to have our players on the field or floor in Vermillion.
                  On the court? I can see from the stands, but on the court?
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                    On the court? I can see from the stands, but on the court?
                    Good catch, you are probably right. I know many of the current athletes and I don't have any reason to think they wouldn't share a mutual respect.

I retract the on the court part.

I also don't mean to imply that some boosters and fans don't share a level of respect. I don't expect any coyote fan to accept my biased view at this time. I'm way on the other side of the argument but I am willing to come to the middle, over time, on SDSU's terms.

I see a lot of potential on the field and court at USD. Boots has talent on his team, Ryun Williams is doing a great job bringing in transfers and signed a superstar in Hegge. USD will compete in the Summit in women's BB, especially in the dome. Meirkort has a great offense and Wes has a great QB to work with in Sheperd. Track and field is always stong at the U. So, things seem to be in place. Keep the focus on USD and let the SDSU game happen when it happens.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      How about Manchester. Little town between Iroquois and DeSmet on US 14. Was pretty well gone when a tornado a few years ago took out the few remaining buildings. I remember Manchester because there was the only thing remotely resembling a hill between Huron and Arlington.
                      I'll see your Manchester and raise you a Dempster. How's that? I think there are at least 40 people that live in Dempster.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Hub City. Anyone know that one? Probably 20 people at most.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                          USD has little vision. It seems their whole focus on moving to DI is playing SDSU again. Their president, their athletic director, their coaches and their alumni all equate the move to DI with playing SDSU. How sad. Their view of the world reaches out about 120 miles.
                          Will you stop it? Good Lord, you all think that the only thing we care about is playing SDSU.

For you to say our President, AD, and coaches have a sole focus of that is ridiculous.

I will back off on the posts in the future because I don't want to be known as combatant, but good God people, there are a few of you that think SDSU invented D-1. Get off your high horsies. Go pretend that Southern Georgia and SDSU will have this major rivalry, and see how many travel to Georgia Southern for a game.

I know Filbert will jump in and probably "scoldor ban" me for a period of time, but do all of you honest to God think that you are this national D-1 power? Your womens teams did well, they both have played in the NCAA's. Your football team has done pretty good, I think I would be pleased with the progression. Your mens basketball team quite honestly stinks, and is going nowhere quick. Your other sports are luke warm at best.

I could give one crap less whether we play you or not. As I have stated, if we do, you better drill us to the wall, or anything short of that and you have opened yourselves up for scrutinization. The staff you mentioned in all the meetings I have been involved with have brought up SDSU once...once. That's it. Sorry to disappoint you, but ONCE. And it wasn't in football.

If you go to our web site, there was a poll taken, and quite frankly about 50% of the voters (last time I checked) said the it should be up to SDSU when we play. And that's on our website. Fans understand that you hold that card, and you are going to play it. But don't be so blind about the subject.

The reason anyone from USD has promoted the game is because the business school is there, and any run of the mill idiot could figure out that it would be a HUGE gate. HUGE.......for both schools. Good Lord, you have this almighty CAS (average at best) so a big gate would do well for you financially. If you don't think that is a good business plan, then don't hire the AD from UNI, because I guaranty you that his approach will be intra-state rivals are good for the coffers. UNI plays Iowa State and U of Iowa.

Keep going with Georgia Southern, Deleware, and all those "bigger than life" games, and let USD schedule more regionally, and see where the athletes sign? Who in the hell wants to go to georgia Southern more than once when their family lives in Watertown? The answer is: "only USD hater" fans.

My analysis of this whole bantering thing is quite frankly you are the ones acting like kids with toys they don't want to share. USD fans for the most part could give one less crap about playing you. Lastly, there is a large contingent of YOUR fan base that wants to play USD. They are the ones without blinders on.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                            Will you stop it? Good Lord, you all think that the only thing we care about is playing SDSU.

For you to say our President, AD, and coaches have a sole focus of that is ridiculous.

I will back off on the posts in the future because I don't want to be known as combatant, but good God people, there are a few of you that think SDSU invented D-1. Get off your high horsies. Go pretend that Southern Georgia and SDSU will have this major rivalry, and see how many travel to Georgia Southern for a game.

I know Filbert will jump in and probably "scoldor ban" me for a period of time, but do all of you honest to God think that you are this national D-1 power? Your womens teams did well, they both have played in the NCAA's. Your football team has done pretty good, I think I would be pleased with the progression. Your mens basketball team quite honestly stinks, and is going nowhere quick. Your other sports are luke warm at best.

I could give one crap less whether we play you or not. As I have stated, if we do, you better drill us to the wall, or anything short of that and you have opened yourselves up for scrutinization. The staff you mentioned in all the meetings I have been involved with have brought up SDSU once...once. That's it. Sorry to disappoint you, but ONCE. And it wasn't in football.

If you go to our web site, there was a poll taken, and quite frankly about 50% of the voters (last time I checked) said the it should be up to SDSU when we play. And that's on our website. Fans understand that you hold that card, and you are going to play it. But don't be so blind about the subject.

The reason anyone from USD has promoted the game is because the business school is there, and any run of the mill idiot could figure out that it would be a HUGE gate. HUGE.......for both schools. Good Lord, you have this almighty CAS (average at best) so a big gate would do well for you financially. If you don't think that is a good business plan, then don't hire the AD from UNI, because I guaranty you that his approach will be intra-state rivals are good for the coffers. UNI plays Iowa State and U of Iowa.

Keep going with Georgia Southern, Deleware, and all those "bigger than life" games, and let USD schedule more regionally, and see where the athletes sign? Who in the hell wants to go to georgia Southern more than once when their family lives in Watertown? The answer is: "only USD hater" fans.

My analysis of this whole bantering thing is quite frankly you are the ones acting like kids with toys they don't want to share. USD fans for the most part could give one less crap about playing you. Lastly, there is a large contingent of YOUR fan base that wants to play USD. They are the ones without blinders on.
                            I think there's a goodly measure of childish behavior on both sides, as this post demonstrates.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Well, you must not visit with the same USD fans I talk to every day. As I stated, there are some USD fans not focused on playing SDSU again. I will guarantee that more USD fans than SDSU fans are interested in the game happening sooner than later. Probably largely because USD's coaches and administration have said that they want to play SDSU ASAP.

There are plenty of fans here who want the USD game to happen, not sure if they have blinders on or not. There are plenty of SDSU fans who don't care to ever play USD again, everyone that I talked to understands that we will play them again. Its not that big a deal.

I talked to three of our coaches last week and none of them felt there should be any priority placed on playing USD. Each of them also stated that they looked forward to USD's membership in the Summit league and future competition. Stig said on Saturday that he fully expects to see USD on the FB schedule when its the right fit for SDSU. That could be as early as 2010.

So, the argument is circular and the point is ultimately moot. We'll all be seeing SDSU and USD play again very soon regardless of what is wanted be any particular individual. Am I looking forward to it? I think everyone knows the answer to that.

Comment

2 for and 2 against?

Comment

Working...
                                X