Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU and USD Battle for the Golden Pheasant

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
    I've seen you make this argument numerous times.

Over/under 10,000 people. I'll take the over. Care to make a wager?
    They would probably draw as much as a typical non-conference game, meaning a reachable 10,000 early in the year. If you're talking November, I'd think 10,000 would be quite a push.

Comment

I think the first time SDSU/USD face off the attendance will be really good (figure about 15,000), but I could see a bit of a drop off in future games if they aren't on the same plain in terms of success. This is why I suggest we play them in football in years we can have a 12 game schedule (referring to earlier post in this thread).
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        One of the recent players mentioned a cup that the SDSU team received the last time we played USD. I do believe there was a game trophy that meant more in the 1950's and I want to say it was a Brown Jug that was probably a copy of the Big 10 game trophy. My mind is kind of sketchy on this but there was a game trophy.

Of course many remember the exchange of trousers by the losing student body president, and no doubt this little tradition is more than likely to be resumed when SDSU meets USD again.
        I think there was a jug that they played for even in the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
          All right, USD is joining the Summit and the State-U rivalry will soon rise from the ashes like the phoenix. The next step in relaunching the rivalry is scheduling football on a yearly basis.

Here's how I would see this working:

1) Create a new traveling football trophy (the Golden Pheasant, symbolizing the state bird and Black Hills gold) to symbolize the new era of the State-U rivalry. IMO, the introduction of the Dakota Marker did wonders to the SDSU-NDSU rivalry and I think a relaunched State-U rivalry needs to be rooted in something other than the "frozen critter toss" at Frost.
          2) Play the game every year the week of the traditional pheasant opener on Thursday or Friday night (whichever night doesn't conflict with the high school FB schedule for that week).
          3) Televise the game, preferably on a regional basis or wider.
          4) Make the game a statewide event; perhaps have the governor conduct the coin flip and/or present the trophy.
          5) Follow Missouri Valley Football Conference rules for sportsmanship (to ensure teams shake hands before the game because the winning team will run to the trophy).
          6) Promote the game heavily. Both schools need to collaborate on this one.
          7) Get prominent alumni involved; perhaps make two alums from each school honorary captains. If Brokaw can narrate some NCC nostalgia, USD should utilize him in relaunching the State-U rivalry.
          8) SDSU needs to ensure that its home game against USD is during the years it plays at NDSU.

I know that a lot of SDSU fans don't want to over-hype future SDSU-USD games, but this should be a statewide event for the people of South Dakota. In essence, if SDSU and USD are to resume the rivalry, the rivalry needs to be done right, not half-donkeyed. That includes playing football . . . every year.
          I want to go on record as thinking this is a good idea. I like it. Not in a big hurry for it, but I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
            All right, USD is joining the Summit and the State-U rivalry will soon rise from the ashes like the phoenix. The next step in relaunching the rivalry is scheduling football on a yearly basis.

Here's how I would see this working:

1) Create a new traveling football trophy (the Golden Pheasant, symbolizing the state bird and Black Hills gold) to symbolize the new era of the State-U rivalry. IMO, the introduction of the Dakota Marker did wonders to the SDSU-NDSU rivalry and I think a relaunched State-U rivalry needs to be rooted in something other than the "frozen critter toss" at Frost.
            2) Play the game every year the week of the traditional pheasant opener on Thursday or Friday night (whichever night doesn't conflict with the high school FB schedule for that week).
            3) Televise the game, preferably on a regional basis or wider.
            4) Make the game a statewide event; perhaps have the governor conduct the coin flip and/or present the trophy.
            5) Follow Missouri Valley Football Conference rules for sportsmanship (to ensure teams shake hands before the game because the winning team will run to the trophy).
            6) Promote the game heavily. Both schools need to collaborate on this one.
            7) Get prominent alumni involved; perhaps make two alums from each school honorary captains. If Brokaw can narrate some NCC nostalgia, USD should utilize him in relaunching the State-U rivalry.
            8) SDSU needs to ensure that its home game against USD is during the years it plays at NDSU.

I know that a lot of SDSU fans don't want to over-hype future SDSU-USD games, but this should be a statewide event for the people of South Dakota. In essence, if SDSU and USD are to resume the rivalry, the rivalry needs to be done right, not half-donkeyed. That includes playing football . . . every year.
            This poster also backs this concept, and encourage it to prevail starting after 2011.

Comment

Georgia and Florida play in The World's Largest Cocktail Party.

It would be great if we could somehow re-frame SDSU-USD into the World's Largest Pheasant Cookout -- or something like that.

I heartily approve of all ideas to move beyond the old days and build something new and better here.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Georgia and Florida play in The World's Largest Cocktail Party.

It would be great if we could somehow re-frame SDSU-USD into the World's Largest Pheasant Cookout -- or something like that.

I heartily approve of all ideas to move beyond the old days and build something new and better here.
                Could also have the game on the Pheasant opener to help overcome the usual lackluster attendance, although I'm not sure we have much control over our openings based on conference scheduling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  Could also have the game on the Pheasant opener to help overcome the usual lackluster attendance, although I'm not sure we have much control over our openings based on conference scheduling.
                  Yes I tend to believe conference scheduling and opening dates set by the State Game and Fish will not always be on the same page. Its about the only unworkable thing with this idea. Otherwise I like it a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Yes I tend to believe conference scheduling and opening dates set by the State Game and Fish will not always be on the same page. Its about the only unworkable thing with this idea. Otherwise I like it a great deal.
                    The one constant is the third Saturday in October is always the pheasant opener.

Comment

Good stuff Nighthawk, I like it.

I wouldn't schedule it the same as the pheasent opener if it were up to me.

The Golden Pheasent is a good idea and would be fine. I would like something more telling and fitting of the old rivalry though.

I think two traveling trophies, with your two biggest rivals who are a border state and in-state, is more than fine. Some power conference schools have some goofy traveling trophies, (a boot, a drum, a brown jug, a bucket and a spitoon come to mind) but I think they work.

Comment

I think that a trophy for the winner of this game is an appropriate idea. The biggest problem may be that the game may be played on a sporadic basis as long as we are in two different conferences for football.

The other problem with the golden pheasant theme is that the golden pheasant is an entirely different critter than the game bird that is our state bird:

http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/golden.html

This could be confusing to some.
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                          I think that a trophy for the winner of this game is an appropriate idea. The biggest problem may be that the game may be played on a sporadic basis as long as we are in two different conferences for football.

The other problem with the golden pheasant theme is that the golden pheasant is an entirely different critter than the game bird that is our state bird:

http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/golden.html

This could be confusing to some.
                          Maybe we can find some USD alumni to enact legislation to switch it over to the golden pheasant

Comment

I'm not a fan of the idea but it will happen. USD doesn't reciprocate when it comes to traveling, so you wouldn't see a big increase in attendance in Brookings. Now in Vermillion, you would add 3 to 4 thousand. I also remember hearing how bad of an idea going D1 was. For that fact alone, we make USD work for a rivalry. I say 3 to 5 games in brookings before we travel to Vermillion.

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
                              I'm not a fan of the idea but it will happen. USD doesn't reciprocate when it comes to traveling, so you wouldn't see a big increase in attendance in Brookings. Now in Vermillion, you would add 3 to 4 thousand. I also remember hearing how bad of an idea going D1 was. For that fact alone, we make USD work for a rivalry. I say 3 to 5 games in brookings before we travel to Vermillion.
                              I think USD would probably bring at least 1-2K to Brookings.

I was at the Augie game 2 years ago, and there were almost as many USD fans there as Augie fans and it was Augie's homecoming.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

We'll know more about attendance at USD this year with conference games at the DI level. I think some might be surprised, people have been showing up at the dome for FB games during the transition. Still, USD stands to benefit a lot more from an annual game than we do.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X