Delaware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Delaware

TV mentioned in his Tuesday tidbits that the series was still on . . . however, I won't be surprised if the new AD axes these games this summer.

Comment

I'd be very surprised. My opinion: The new AD will have a lot on his plate and messing with set schedules has to be very low on the priority list.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
        I agree that USD will likely have to go into a wait and see mode as far as football is concerned. The nice thing for SDSU fans is that they would have one or two reasonable drives for conference road games if someday UND and USD were invited. Not saying it will happen but from a SDSU fan perspective it would have to be nice for the everyday fan to see the Jacks a little more often with a 2 hour and 5 hour drive every other year.
        Keeping the Jackrabbit name within earshot of certain areas of the country is the biggest reason why we play against a team from California and Texas every year, and that should not be sacrificed in my opinion. Looking at our recent recruiting class, we have pulled a fair amount of talent from these areas (Cali this year, Texas the last couple) and I believe us playing against teams from these states have only assisted in recruiting process in these areas.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
          TV mentioned in his Tuesday tidbits that the series was still on . . . however, I won't be surprised if the new AD axes these games this summer.
          Why do you think the new AD will axe them? Have you talked to the 3 finalists for the job about their plans for the series already?

Comment

I'm all for a challenging schedule and playing the best competition, but I think we need to be a little more cautious with the non-schedule especially with the tough conference games year in and out. Too many Delaware caliber games in a given season is going to cost us a playoff birth.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              I'm all for a challenging schedule and playing the best competition, but I think we need to be a little more cautious with the non-schedule especially with the tough conference games year in and out. Too many Delaware caliber games in a given season is going to cost us a playoff birth.
              Seems to work just fine for the women's BB program. Just sayin'

Comment

I haven't talked to any AD candidate . . . I just am reading the same tea leaves we all have.

I am convinced that Dr. Chicoine's vision for SDSU athletics includes the renewal of the State-U rivalry and that the new AD must be committed to getting the State-U rivalry relaunched. If Dr. Chicoine was lukewarm about renewing State-U, the Summit League would not have fast-tracked USD's invite into the conference.

Replacing Blue Hens with Coyotes is very likely, IMO.

Comment

I haven't talked to any AD candidate . . . I just am reading the same tea leaves we all have.

I am convinced that Dr. Chicoine's vision for SDSU athletics includes the renewal of the State-U rivalry and that the new AD must be committed to getting the State-U rivalry relaunched. If Dr. Chicoine was lukewarm about renewing State-U, the Summit League would not have fast-tracked USD's invite into the conference.

In my opinion, this was probably the reason for the weird timing of Oien's resignation. I doubt he shared the same enthusiasm in renewing the rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                    In my opinion, this was probably the reason for the weird timing of Oien's resignation. I doubt he shared the same enthusiasm in renewing the rivalry.

Had NOTHING to do with it. Dr. Oien knew these games(all sports) would be played again IF USD moved to D-1...a "cooling off" period was the best thing that could've happened to this "rivalry".

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      Had NOTHING to do with it. Dr. Oien knew these games(all sports) would be played again IF USD moved to D-1...a "cooling off" period was the best thing that could've happened to this "rivalry".

Go Jacks!!
                      I'll 2nd that...it had nothing to do with it.

Comment

I think Stig wants people in our program to see "examples" of what SDSU football can look like someday. Thats why we went to Georgia Southern, Montana, and other top programs early in the transition. I think it is important for players, coaches, fans, administrators to see what we can be. And folks that isn't in Vermillion!
                        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
                          I think Stig wants people in our program to see "examples" of what SDSU football can look like someday. Thats why we went to Georgia Southern, Montana, and other top programs early in the transition. I think it is important for players, coaches, fans, administrators to see what we can be. And folks that isn't in Vermillion!
                          And also the players to see different parts of the country.

Comment

I know that President Chicoine's vision for SDSU (athletically or otherwise) is not dependent on our relationship with USD. If you want to know more about his vision read the Strategic Planning documents that he was instrumental is shaping.

I think you are seeing things that just aren’t there.

Go State!

Comment

First, Stig isn't recruiting the hotbed of Delaware for athletes. He is recruiting Texas and California that is why they play there.

Second, don't underestimate the value of a payday in the equation for how and why early games were scheduled.

Third, I agree that some of these games should be scheduled. The CAA gets 6 teams a year into the playoffs. What better way to get an at-large bid than to have a record against them.

Finally, the first 4 years of transition were about understanding what it took to play and compete with playoff teams. Now its about making the playoffs and winning games once there. The best way to do that is go 8-3 regardless of who in FCS you play.

To sum it up. Whether the games happen or not is likely to depend more on financial situations for both schools rather than any shift in philosophy.
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Just an FYI, Dr. Chicoine received a Master's degree from the University of Delaware; does it mean anything? No probably not. Just thought I would add some information.

Comment

Working...
                                X