Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Delaware

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    That or maybe a No Smoking sign on your cigarette break.
    Ironic, don't cha think?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

a little too ironic, yeah I really do think
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Alanis Morissette is gonna come after us for copyright, you all know . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

We could always argue that the punctuation actually changed the background of the song therefore not really using the same song (i.e. the Vanilla Ice defense).
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
            We could always argue that the punctuation actually changed the background of the song therefore not really using the same song (i.e. the Vanilla Ice defense).
            I feel slightly dirtier for even reading "Vanilla Ice defense."

Thanks.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I just went back an looked at the press release about the Delaware/Delaware St games that started this speculation. The SDSU games with Delaware are/were scheduled for 2010, 2011 and 2012. The Deleware/Delaware St. games are scheduled for 2009, 2012, 2013 and 2014. The only overlap year is 2012 and the games are for different weekends. So the speculation may be just that.

Comment

I don't think it was necessarily started because of the Delaware/Delaware State scheduling. There was a pretty knowlegable Delaware poster on AGS that had said talks were happening about dropping the matchup and that basically both sides seemed pretty amenable to the discussion
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

I don't think it was necessarily started because of the Delaware/Delaware State scheduling. There was a pretty knowlegable Delaware poster on AGS that had said talks were happening about dropping the matchup and that basically both sides seemed pretty amenable to the discussion
                  You may be right but GannonFan posted the comment two days after the press release about Delaware-Delaware St. In any case I agree with others that we should not be doing 2 for 1 series. This one was signed several years ago and I think the dates have been shifted at least once already and a change or cancellation would not be very suprising.

Comment

It's math AND geography.

Delaware plays eight Colonial conference games a year, which leaves them only three slots outside, and they usually fill one with a BCS like Maryland (who they almost beat in '08) Putting Delaware State on the schedule further constricted them, especially in a home and home agreement with the Jacks.

I think it's part of a growing philosophy there and a lot of places that if you can get a good rivalry going in your back yard, why travel halfway across the country? Delware State provides that.

And let's be honest. USD and UND provide that for the Jacks. There is no reason why SDSU should not be maximizing contests with its D1 Dakota rivals in every sport, each and every year. It makes so much sense, and IMHO some Jacks backers need to get over the "we went first" or "they have to pay their dues" arguments.

Ask yourself. What other places exist with four D-1 teams over neighboring states with that kind of parity and historic rivalry already built in? It ain't so in the Carolinas. It ain't so in Iowa and Wisconsin. Florida and Florida State are rivals, but not so intensely with Georgia.
                    It ain't so in Arizona and New Mexico. The closest may be in the PAC 10 with the Washington and Oregon schools.

Jacks have something special in their back yard. Take advantage of it.

Comment

My compliments NoVaJack on a well-reasoned post. Knowing we will play USD again, I sure would like to hear those folks, en masse, say, "We apologize for being such jerks to you when you decided to go DI." That's all - just a simple apology. Is that asking too much?

Comment

Agree with most post and would like to see USD/UND on schedules but it would be nice to play Delaware also.
                        MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
                        http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
                        http://gojacks.com

Comment

NVA makes some good points, but there are some legitimate counter points also. Playing games outside of the immediate area increases the exposure of program which can help with recruiting, and not just from the area you go to. Also, playing highly regarded non-conference opponents is looked upon as a good thing by selection committees in all sports (not saying that UxDs will not be that at some point, but we know Delaware is considered that). And the final point is that not everyone thinks it is something special in our backyard, and that applies to supporters for all 4 universities. On the whole though, I believe it will not be long before the UxD's begin showing up on schedules on a regular basis.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            NVA makes some good points, but there are some legitimate counter points also. Playing games outside of the immediate area increases the exposure of program which can help with recruiting, and not just from the area you go to. Also, playing highly regarded non-conference opponents is looked upon as a good thing by selection committees in all sports (not saying that UxDs will not be that at some point, but we know Delaware is considered that). And the final point is that not everyone thinks it is something special in our backyard, and that applies to supporters for all 4 universities. On the whole though, I believe it will not be long before the UxD's begin showing up on schedules on a regular basis.
                            Doesn't just help with recruiting athletes, can also help reconnect with alumni which may lead to help in fundraising. I think the games out in California against Cal Poly and UC Davis have been good in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                              Agree on all points. I'm not sure why we would want to change a very succesful philosophy for scheduling based on the decisions of other universities in the area. Especially universities that were very quick to criticize our decision to move to DI. I am not in favor of dumping a game against a respected and well established DI FCS program for a more winnable game against an unestablished program.

That doesn't mean I'm not ever in favor of playing regional teams. I just don't think we need to go out and cancel games and I dislike the suggestion that we might be thinking about doing it to for the sake of some other program. Now, if the financial situation makes it prohibitive to travel to Deleware and we can get a home game against an established FCS program, I'd be less concerned. The talk on this thread about replacing a game against Deleware with USD or UND is premature and not consistent with the direction we have taken thus far.

I'm waiting for some more negative rep points from those who wish to kiss the feat of a program that wanted nothing more than for us to fall on our faces 5 years ago. How quickly some people have forgotten that makes me cringe. Now, all of the sudden, they have changed and want to help us out. I might have been born at night but not last night.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I just don't like 2-1 deals with any FCS programs. Why don't we schedule UND first?

Comment

Working...
                                X