Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Delaware

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    I just don't like 2-1 deals with any FCS programs. Why don't we schedule UND first?
    When you're new to the division their are dues you have to pay if you want to earn respect within the new division. We've been doing that thus far.

That said, the 2 for 1 with DU preceded membership in the MVFC. Ideally, I'd like to see us keep 1 and 1 while replacing the other game with another established FCS game at home. I understand that's probably not likely to be a reality.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

There certainly are valid reasons to remember the D-1 conversion naysayers. There are always people like that. But isn't the point doing what is best for SDSU?

Can anyone say a regional rivalry of four D-1 schools isn't great for the fan base, revenue, pride, whatever rivalries are supposed to bring? And better than a 2-1 Delaware trip swap in which maybe 250 Jacks fans would be able to attend?

Hard feelings aside, many places would kill to have the four-school D-1 parity/rivalry the Dakotas could have. If it takes one school and their fans to be the bigger, classier party to make it happen - well, who better than the Jacks to fill that bill?

Schedule the naysayers, then beat them on the field of competition.

Earlier posters made valid points on the recruiting aspects of traveling, but Delaware is not exactly Calfornia in football talent.

Comment

I think I and several other posters made exactly those other arguments in our previous posts. As for FB talent in the area, obviously enough to make Delaware into a national power (PA is pretty close if I recall correctly). Also, the other side of the argument may be why isn't there more of these situations across the country? It really isn't like there hasn't been time for these mutually beneficial relationships to develop. It may be that these end up not being that beneficial for both schools for reasons that we are too new to the process to see. Let's say the games goes as we hope and believe and the Jacks win the first ten games. Has that established a rivalry? If we split the games, then we are dependent on USD becoming a nationally recognized opponent and not just a rivalry opponent that pulled an upset. If that happens and SDSU decides not to continue the games, we would be blasted for not being willing to play them. If USD does the unthinkable and dominates the series, what do we do then?

My desire is the athletic department/staff schedule on the basis of 2 things:
        1. What is best in terms of post season possibilities; and
        2. What is best for the program long term.

Personally I don't see how the first doesn't accomplish the second.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          There certainly are valid reasons to remember the D-1 conversion naysayers. There are always people like that. But isn't the point doing what is best for SDSU?

Can anyone say a regional rivalry of four D-1 schools isn't great for the fan base, revenue, pride, whatever rivalries are supposed to bring? And better than a 2-1 Delaware trip swap in which maybe 250 Jacks fans would be able to attend?

Hard feelings aside, many places would kill to have the four-school D-1 parity/rivalry the Dakotas could have. If it takes one school and their fans to be the bigger, classier party to make it happen - well, who better than the Jacks to fill that bill?

Schedule the naysayers, then beat them on the field of competition.

Earlier posters made valid points on the recruiting aspects of traveling, but Delaware is not exactly Calfornia in football talent.
          Its much more than hard feelings. We had the attitude that we want to advance and move forward to DI fully understanding the changes occurring at the DII level. Those opposed made it clear that the proper direction for their institution was to stay DII. They also made it seem as if they were keeping the best interest of South Dakotans in mind while we were not. It wasn't just a few "naysayers".

I'm pretty certain we'll be playing USD in FB again. Maybe on an annual basis. Will it be the biggest game of the year for us? I don't think it will. Will it be the biggest game of the year for USD? It always was before why wouldn't it be now?

There are still a large number of doubters who haven't looked at reality and think that SDSU is absolutely foolish for not scheduling USD right now. Those people are either ignorant, naive, or both. Moving out of DII and away from some of the DII attitudes has done nothing but accelerate a rise towards the top for the FB program. Reverting to DII attitudes regarding travel and scheduling will slow us down and bring us towards the attitude still present at USD.

It is not advisable to look back at the "old days" and wonder what might be. We are in the here and now and I want to see us stay there. Delaware is the here and now. USD isn't, maybe they will be but they aren't right now.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Its much more than hard feelings. We had the attitude that we want to advance and move forward to DI fully understanding the changes occurring at the DII level. Those opposed made it clear that the proper direction for their institution was to stay DII. They also made it seem as if they were keeping the best interest of South Dakotans in mind while we were not. It wasn't just a few "naysayers".
            They just didn't have hard feelings, they DISAGREED WITH OUR OPINION! How dare they?! What is this, America?

Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

The attractive part of playing Delaware is that they are usually a strong contender in the CAA which is the conference that continually gets the most bids into the playoffs. The only way to show the committee that selects teams how you measure up to the east coast teams is to play them.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

I really would like to see the XDSU's play the UXD's again in football. Maybe not SDSU vs UND every year or NDSU vs USD every year, but I think playing intrastate would be very cool. If it's not a conference game, that's fine. FSU plays Florida all the time with Miami thrown in occasionally, and that's a great way to build up rivalries and regional pride.

Doesn't hurt recruiting either if a recruit sees you beat up all the regional schools either.

I can understand the viewpoints discussed in this thread about thinking cancelling on Delaware was cheesy. Conversely, I can understand the view of the school (SDSU) also. It's just a type of situation where you can't please everyone.

I am just of the mindset that I'll let the powers that be schedule whomever they can and just watch the Jacks kick butt up and down the field!

Comment

Realize this is probably going to come across once again as naiive and ignorant, per a previous poster's observation, but it must be pointed out that none of the Pac 10 or SEC or Big 10 or Big 12 schools as a matter of course travel as far as a three-year SDSU-Delaware matchup would entail, espcially a two-giving-one return game arrangement.
                  Those BCS schools seem to do alright. Sometimes, what's in your own back yard is the best. Other schools would kill for these close-to-home natural rivalries.

Comment

I don't think it is a natural rivalry any longer. I think there would be far more attractive teams than either of the UxD's. Maybe an occasional basketball game in six or eight years, but there's only so many football slots out there. I really doubt if most of the present students would care one way or the other.

If the cards play right there's a fair chance that Dixie State (UU-St. George) would move from DII. If they join the Great West in five or six years there's a six team conference right there--either that or UVSC will pick up football. I think the future of the UxD's is looking west and we should stick to trying to pick up games in the general footprint of the MVFC.

While I'm at it, I can't for the life of me figure out a Delaware-Delaware St. rivalry either.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                      I don't think it is a natural rivalry any longer. I think there would be far more attractive teams than either of the UxD's. Maybe an occasional basketball game in six or eight years
                      Or twice a year in 2-3 years when they are both in the Summit.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

That may not happen as fast as some think. They're hooked at the hip with UND and that's going to take quite some time-- either that or bulldoze the Ralph and Betty. Sleep with dogs and get fleas.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Realize this is probably going to come across once again as naiive and ignorant, per a previous poster's observation, but it must be pointed out that none of the Pac 10 or SEC or Big 10 or Big 12 schools as a matter of course travel as far as a three-year SDSU-Delaware matchup would entail, espcially a two-giving-one return game arrangement.
                          Those BCS schools seem to do alright. Sometimes, what's in your own back yard is the best. Other schools would kill for these close-to-home natural rivalries.
                          Actually
                          Ohio State played at USC
                          Wisconsin played at Fresno St.
                          Oregon played at Purdue

Just to name a few.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

USD and UND probably will be playing basketball in the Summit in a couple years. But I doubt they'll be in the Missouri Valley. No room. The UXDs will still be playing football in the Great West or maybe begging the the Big Sky or some other league to let them in.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

I agree that USD will likely have to go into a wait and see mode as far as football is concerned. The nice thing for SDSU fans is that they would have one or two reasonable drives for conference road games if someday UND and USD were invited. Not saying it will happen but from a SDSU fan perspective it would have to be nice for the everyday fan to see the Jacks a little more often with a 2 hour and 5 hour drive every other year.
                              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                                I agree that USD will likely have to go into a wait and see mode as far as football is concerned. The nice thing for SDSU fans is that they would have one or two reasonable drives for conference road games if someday UND and USD were invited. Not saying it will happen but from a SDSU fan perspective it would have to be nice for the everyday fan to see the Jacks a little more often with a 2 hour and 5 hour drive every other year.
                                I agree.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X