Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Originally posted by Gatewayrabbit View Post
    I think I may have gotten dumber reading this thread. . . .
    Yeah. That'll happen . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Gatewayrabbit View Post
      I think I may have gotten dumber reading this thread. One thing we all must remember is that USD is not an official Division 1 school yet. SDSU in August, I believe just became official. The Coyotes have huge financial and compliance hurdles to cross before this can even become an option. If they cross these, they will probably be able to at some point grab our coattails and get into the Summit League. And that is at some point. That point may be ten years down the road. Eventually we will probably play them. Regardless, at this point SDSU has placed so much space between the U that they will be nothing more than a little brother similar to Oklahoma State is to Oklahoma or Michigan State is to Michigan. We will be like Oklahoma and Michigan and will look to our neighboring state for our big rival game. Will we play USD again? Probably. It will be hyped up the first year or two, but it will shortly become an equivalent of just another game.
      1) USD will be a 'counter' long before they have their certification. Just like SDSU. Programs are 'counters' in their second year, provided their schedule is D-1 exclusive.

2) You know what the problem is with the Oklahoma/Ok-State Michigan/Michigan State Iowa/Iowa State analogy that people keep bringing up?

SDSU doesn't sell out all its home games. Oklahoma & Michigan do. As long as SDSU stands to get an attendance boost from playing USD (which they do), they should do it out of nothing more than enlightened self-interest.

3) Further, I dispute the 'it will become just another game' assertion, as SDSU admins will hype it just like they hype the Beef Bowl, Cereal Bowl, Marker game, etc. SDSU needs home games it can promote, and a USD game certainly fits the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

2) You know what the problem is with the Oklahoma/Ok-State Michigan/Michigan State Iowa/Iowa State analogy that people keep bringing up?

SDSU doesn't sell out all its home games. Oklahoma & Michigan do. As long as SDSU stands to get an attendance boost from playing USD (which they do), they should do it out of nothing more than enlightened self-interest.
        Iowa sells out their home games too.

Kind of hard to sell out a game when there is unlimited SRA tickets you can seel.
        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
          Iowa sells out their home games too.

Kind of hard to sell out a game when there is unlimited SRA tickets you can seel.
          Thanks, I had no idea what the deal is with Iowa.

And, in fact, CAS is kind of in the same situation. There's no real 'max' capacity.

Really, a USD game is a home game to promote when the Marker game is in Fargo. It's that simple. Make some money, save on travel in off years, make scheduling easier, what's the downside?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            Thanks, I had no idea what the deal is with Iowa.

And, in fact, CAS is kind of in the same situation. There's no real 'max' capacity.

Really, a USD game is a home game to promote when the Marker game is in Fargo. It's that simple. Make some money, save on travel in off years, make scheduling easier, what's the downside?
            Why should we have to lower ourselves to that level? I don't even think people would show up for such a terrible team, to be honest. 15 people at the max. Thats counting cheerleaders too. It just wouldn't be a rivalry game.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              Thats counting cheerleaders too.
              Hold on a second. Nobody was suggesting the USD cheerleaders could come up to Coughlin. The last time the USD cheerleaders came to Brookings, the groundkeepers were busy the remainder of the fall and much of the following spring trying to patch the overgrazed spots on the visitor's sidelines.

I'm willing to bet USD and SDSU will play football against one another at some point in the future BUT if you're suggesting the Coyote Cheerleaders are part of the deal, then I going to put all my money on the game never happening.

Comment

I think that people are letting their emotions run wild here . . .

SDSU should play USD when it makes sense (and that means $$$) to do so.

SDSU's football team is fully scheduled, I understand, through 2012.

Beyond that . . . if an SDSU-USD football game will bring to SDSU more money than any other option at that time, then yeah, go ahead and schedule it.

I'm not beholden to any "rivalry" BS one way or another. I don't have any particular burning desire to play USD in a revenue sport ever again. But I'm not opposed to it, either. It needs to be something that benefits SDSU, and benefits USD, too (because I don't expect them to be stupid about it any more than I expect the SDSU admin to be stupid about it). If it can be a benefit to SDSU, then do it. If it isn't, don't. Anything else is utterly irrational, and needs to be called out as such.

On that basis, maybe it makes sense for SDSU to play SDSU in basketball next year, maybe it doesn't. It depends on the $. If the Powers that Be in Sioux Falls want a football or basketball game between SDSU and USD, the answer is simple: Show Us The Money.

In football, it's not going to happen until 2013 at the earliest.

MAKE US AN OFFER.

Next subject . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Hold on a second. Nobody was suggesting the USD cheerleaders could come up to Coughlin. The last time the USD cheerleaders came to Brookings, the groundkeepers were busy the remainder of the fall and much of the following spring trying to patch the overgrazed spots on the visitor's sidelines.

I'm willing to bet USD and SDSU will play football against one another at some point in the future BUT if you're suggesting the Coyote Cheerleaders are part of the deal, then I going to put all my money on the game never happening.

I think smack is uncalled-for, JackJD . . .
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    I took no offense to it filbert. It gave me a laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

When posts make me laugh out loud it deserves rep points. Good work!

Comment

I took no offense to it filbert. It gave me a laugh.
                        Possibly. In too good a mood to really be that bent out of shape about it.

But you know, occasionally, I have to stand up for the little guys. (I'd elaborate, but that in itself would be smack.)

Good night, Gentle Rabbits.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Possibly. In too good a mood to really be that bent out of shape about it.

But you know, occasionally, I have to stand up for the little guys. (I'd elaborate, but that in itself would be smack.)

Good night, Gentle Rabbits.

Thanks for the support, but it's fine. Most of the stuff people say, I bring on to myself.

Or at least that's what my mom always told me.

Comment

You're right. I'm going to ban myself from this thread for a week (and hope it goes away).

Comment

Why should we have to lower ourselves to that level? I don't even think people would show up for such a terrible team, to be honest. 15 people at the max. Thats counting cheerleaders too. It just wouldn't be a rivalry game.
                              Pfft. We HAVE to play Indiana State every year. I think USD is better than they are.

BTW, the problems with the USD cheerleaders go way beyond our groundskeepers.

Rumor has it they've eaten through to the concrete in a few places down at the dome too.

Comment

Y'all are just BEGGING me now to move this entire sorry thread to Smack . . . or just lock up the damn thing . . .

Tell ya what. I'll have one more drink (Broadland, SD cider, brewed with love by my sister and brother there), y'all have one more drink, I'll shut down my 'puter, you'll shut down you're 'puter, and we'll all have a good night's sleep.

How about them Rabbits, anyway? #22 in the nation. Blowout victory at home. Life be good, eh?
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X