SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Like Iowa and Iowa State? They aren't in the same conference, but every year that is one of the biggest games on the schedule.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by reveroo View Post
      Yea, everybody in Division I is playing for something bigger, hopefully that is the goal of each and every team in athletics. But, you mean tell me that bragging rights in your home state isn't important either?? Then why, please tell me why, does the REST of the states that have two Division I teams, most with one named State and the other University, play each other in football and basketball??? And it sure seems that Rivalry Week, that last week of the regular season in football does wonders for the schools that host the games. I agree, a National Championship or even Conference championship is what it is all about, but it was something special back in the day, and it will be special again someday, we are going to play them again, why not get ready for the excitement of a sold out Frost Arena, where every possesion the crowd is into it and the game means something regardless of the record of either team.
      I understand what you are saying, and maybe I took your first comments wrong, because there are a lot of people that think that State-U is more important than SDSU's success at the D-I level (namely udot fans) and your comments implied that being the best in the state was extremely important. While it iwll be nice to be that in the future when we play, what I am getting at is we are playing for bigger things than that one game and I refuse to place so much stock in it that it will revolutionize the state or something. It was poorly attended before we went D-I. While I hope it resumes, I refuse to view it in the way you are and place it as the end all be all. I just wish I could get to more games every year, and it wouldn't matter who we were playing.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
        Like Iowa and Iowa State? They aren't in the same conference, but every year that is one of the biggest games on the schedule.
        Behind Minnesota and Wisconsin for Iowa.

Comment

This game along with the UNI game was mandated and now everyone (or most) find this to be the wrong move for the Institutuions.

Come on everyone...get out of the past and follow the future. Isnt that why we made the move in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
            This game along with the UNI game was mandated and now everyone (or most) find this to be the wrong move for the Institutuions.

Come on everyone...get out of the past and follow the future. Isnt that why we made the move in the first place?
            Exactly. The U of Iowa has not great interest in playing Iowa State or UNI. Some know-it-alls in the legislature decided to mandate that they play each other certain it would be the right thing for the state of Iowa. They were wrong. Let the institutions and their respective athletic departments decide who they schedule.

Those who are truly looking at the present and towards the future can easily resolved this issue. We aren't going to be playing USD in football or basketball anytime in the near future. That, my friends, is the way it is and in my opinion the way it should/has to be.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Exactly....
              Those who are truly looking at the present and towards the future can easily resolved this issue. We aren't going to be playing USD in football or basketball anytime in the near future. That, my friends, is the way it is and in my opinion the way it should/has to be.
              And that is exactly the kind of attitude Iowa had prior to the legislative mandate.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Not entirely true. They didn't play each other at all from 1935-1977. Now that they are forced to play each other its a HUGE game for the Cyclones and somewhat of an inconvenience for the Hawkeyes. I'm not saying thats right, I'm just saying thats how it is. My brother went to the University of Iowa and now lives in Des Moines, he is right in the middle of this debate.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                  Behind Minnesota and Wisconsin for Iowa.
                  As an Iowa graduate, I beg to differ. The ISU game is a very big deal, equal to any other in importance to all the Iowa fans that I know. You're right that Minnesota and Wisconsin are the biggest Big Ten rivalries now. Illinois is also big since so many Iowa students are from Illinois.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    As an Iowa graduate, I beg to differ. The ISU game is a very big deal, equal to any other in importance to all the Iowa fans that I know. You're right that Minnesota and Wisconsin are the biggest Big Ten rivalries now. Illinois is also big since so many Iowa students are from Illinois.
                    I see what you are saying JJ that its a big deal. I would argue that it is behind Minnesota and Wisconsin though in importance. My girlfriend is also an Iowa grad and we attended this year's game. Many Hawkeye fans also view it in the terms that jackmd highlighted. It is HUGE for the Clones and Iowa just tries not to be embarrassed and lose to them. That is seriously the impression I have taken away from numerous fans and grads of U of I. And as for importance, it is behind those other two games, being they are conference games against their biggest rivals. They are the two teams that Iowa plays every year in a rotating schedule and the Minnesota-Iowa game is one of the longest running rivalries as well.

Also, in response to SF Rabbit Fan - I pray there is no legislative mandate. The legislature has more important things to deal with than forcing schools to play each other. That is beyond ridiculous I think.

Comment

Also, in response to SF Rabbit Fan - I pray there is no legislative mandate. The legislature has more important things to deal with than forcing schools to play each other. That is beyond ridiculous I think.
                      I agree wholeheartedly!

All I'm saying is that all legislatures (some would say especially SD's in recent years) have a tendency to stick their noses where it doesn't belong. If they do want to stick their noses into this scenario, I would hope the Athletic Department would consider all options and choose one which would benefit SDSU as much as possible (and not necessarily to the detriment of USD).
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'm with whoever said that the USD-SDSU game is inevitable. Most of you guys don't want it, but I have a feeling that it is going to happen. 10-15 years from now, maybe sooner. It will happen.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

In the future, cars will fly, social security will bankrupt the United States, the world's oil supply will run out, global warming will have a huge effect on the weather and the world's food supplying regions.

And of course we will probably play usd again.

We have a lot to look forward too...

Ok, I got it... back to the rest of my life and the things I can actually control.

Comment

Don't mistake the lack of interest regarding this game being on the schedule right now with an intention not to support SDSU if they do schedule Udot in the future. I just don't endorse discussing it at this time. If the powers that be decide its the best option for SDSU my opinion or the opinion of others probably isn't going to make one bit of difference.

If and when they are on the schedule again it will mean just the same it meant to me before the move to DI. I want the Jackrabbits to win every time they take the court/field. I pace the floor just as much when we are playing Centenary as I would if we were facing the coyotees. I care about SDSU and Jackrabbit athletics very deeply. The only difference is that I hate the coyotees, for a variety of reasons, more than any other program in the nation. Not having them on our schedule is just fine with me. I'm not one of those guys who cheers for Udot when they aren't playing the Jackrabbits. I want them to lose every time they play. Is that petty and immature? Might be but thats how I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              I don't think we need USD either, and frankly I'm not excited about playing them again in Football.

However, with that being said there is a pretty good chance (I would just about bet my house on it) this series will continue again at some point in the next 10 years. Does anyone really disagree with that?

I see 2 possible outcomes:

SDSU leverages the leadership they showed in moving to DI to establish a football-palooza in SF every 2 years and makes a bunch of money by "sleeping with their ex girlfriend."

SDSU loses all leverage and goes back to home/home games with USD, losing a home game payday every other year while subjecting our student-athletes and fans to one of the worst atmospheres around.

Which would you rather have?
                              It would be considered an away game, not losing a home game. We would still have the same number of home and away games. If anything playing at usd will be a cheaper weekend for travel costs. We have a payday at home one year and the next they get it, but we could still schedule the likes of a cal poly etc for a OOC home game the year the usd game was at the dump. I dont like the idea of plyain um again down there but i like it better that atleast everyother year we woudl get it at CAS which would be better then SF in my opinion. best bet would be to never play um again if you ask me.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It might be fun and exciting, but we play for things bigger than who is the best in the state. Sorry, but this isn't high school anymore. We are playing for conference titles and playoff births on a national level and the most important game isn't who is the best in the state.
                                Thank you for posting that. You said it before i could. If it gets to the point that we have to get excitied for beating Udot then we have failed in our attempts to make it in D-1. winning a confrence and making playoffs and NCAA tournies are higher on my list of excitement then a game with USD.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X