SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

I took some of the stats presented in this thread and decided to place them on a chart -- of course, a pie chart.

Serious question, filbert: why ruin a good Guiness with pie? But, I confess (mind you, I'm 75% Irish and Guiness is a birthright and there is always Guiness in the basement refigerator) that there is one pie that goes very well with Guiness: sour-cream raisin pie.

Comment

I have been as outspoken as any on this board over my strong opinion that we not play USD in any sport until they complete the DI transition. My main reasons revolve around the behavior of the USD Administration and it's supporters when State announced it's intentions. I now believe if we can find a date in football especially in the late season where we need a boost in attendence we should schedule it. I would even advocate a 2 for 1 deal (2 Brookings and 1 in Vermillion). I also think our Basketball Teams need a boost and perhaps a game with the Yotes would help rally the students and fans to return to Frost!

Comment

Seems like we've talked about playing USD ad nauseum. I'm commenting only to point out that officially the USD administration voted to move to DI when SDSU and NDSU urged the NCC, or the bigger schools in the NCC, to move with them. No question people associated with USD were critical of the move and took delight in any stumbles along the way. But I think it is incorrect to state USD had an official position of opposition.

I recall that some of the strongest opposition came from SDSU alums and traditional supporters. One in particular was SDSU alum, State Senator Frank Kloucek. Sen Kloucek tried to get the legislature involved in a blocking maneuver.

I continue to marvel at how overall, the transition has been better than hoped for. The benefits to SDSU predicted by Pres. Miller and AD Oien have occurred and in many respects, have been exceeded. And the benefits are multiplying (I'm hearing about some huge developments that may pan out in the next few months).

We are meeting USD on the field, on the track, in the pool etc. But, for the big-attention sports, specifically football and W & M basketball, my opinion remains unchanged: I don't miss those games one bit.

Now, back to pie.

Comment

Fairly easy for USD to vote for a DI NCC when they knew it was DOA. I still haven't seen anything official that indeed happened. I don't think I said there was an offical position of opposition from USD Officials after we announced, but all you have to do is go back and read comments from Abbott and others to understand where they were they were coming from.

Comment

1) I'm no fan of playing USD in Sioux Falls--and I live in Sioux Falls, dagnabbit.

The USD/SDSU football rivalry is, as near as I can tell, the oldest public school rivalry in the known universe (Indiana/Purdue is the next oldest).

But the rivalry never needed neutral site politics to work in the past and, arguably, it shouldn't need it in the future.

What is needed is a willingness to schedule USD instead of, say, Stephen F. Austin or McNeese, etc.

Having been burned by scheduling an incredibly tough non-conf schedule, I think Stig will happily entertain discussions about playing USD in a home/home trade.

2) I agree with Vandrovec, that the rivalry will most likely be renewed in MBB. BB schedules aren't blocked out years in advance like FB schedules are, and the women's program is well, out of this world. They're unlikely to schedule USD any time before the FB program does.

So, hey, let's hope that the 'Yotes get on the slate next year (they'll be a 'counter' beginning in '09). It's the most reasonable expectation.

----

But I think, collectively, fans need to get over the "they did this..." "they said that....." "where were they when we....." attitude.

That's in the past. Bury it. Leave it behind. Let it go.

Enjoy the rebirth of the original "State/U" game.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              But I think, collectively, fans need to get over the "they did this..." "they said that....." "where were they when we....." attitude.

That's in the past. Bury it. Leave it behind. Let it go.

Enjoy the rebirth of the original "State/U" game.
              Not a chance in hell!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                Not a chance in hell!
                See, that's what I don't get.

Why keep that animosity alive?

It's not like the Yotes' refusal to go along with SDSU =harmed= SDSU's transition.

With the success that SDSU has had in the transition, why hold grudges? For the sake of holding a grudge?

Comment

It's not like the Yotes' refusal to go along with SDSU =harmed= SDSU's transition.

With the success that SDSU has had in the transition, why hold grudges? For the sake of holding a grudge?
                  I never like playing Udot when we were both DII, and I have made my point that I never want to compete in anything again, period! We have NDSU for a rivalry and that is good enough for me...I don't care what they said or did when we transitioned, I am perfectly content not palying them.

Comment

When the game is finally played it will not be a rivalary game since they are no longer in the same conference there is no degree of certainty of when they will play a game again. It will be simply be an in-state game against a foe in the same classification.

Comment

You obviously have no idea. Please read the many threads on this subject included in the smack section and you'll come to find our why the disdain towards USD will linger for many more years.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        When the game is finally played it will not be a rivalary game since they are no longer in the same conference there is no degree of certainty of when they will play a game again. It will be simply be an in-state game against a foe in the same classification.
                        Come on people, I don't care what you all say . . . . . when ( and we will) do finally play them again in football or b-ball, it WILL be a rivalry game. You have got to be kidding me when you say you don't care if we ever play them again. Anybody who has experienced the excitement and atmosphere of a State-U game knows that it will return immediately the time it is announced on a football/basketball schedule. Once some of you get over the 'we were first to go DI attitude', you will realize that playing them is something that is going to happen and is going to be good for SDSU as well as our whole state. I too enjoy our friendly and competitive rivalry with the Bison . . . . . but we live in a state now where there are TWO Division one schools . . . . it is a matter of fact . . . . and some day it will come down to who is the best in the state . . . . and it will be a FUN and EXCITING game.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          You obviously have no idea. Please read the many threads on this subject included in the smack section and you'll come to find our why the disdain towards USD will linger for many more years.
                          Okay, disdain I get. But animosity? Makes no sense.

Comment

How about '20 for basketball and mid-twenties for football with no discussion of this (including smack) until at least 2018. I would also hope that members here stop posting on the Coyote board.

Comment

Originally posted by reveroo View Post
                              . . . . it is a matter of fact . . . . and some day it will come down to who is the best in the state . . . . and it will be a FUN and EXCITING game.
                              It might be fun and exciting, but we play for things bigger than who is the best in the state. Sorry, but this isn't high school anymore. We are playing for conference titles and playoff births on a national level and the most important game isn't who is the best in the state.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                                It might be fun and exciting, but we play for things bigger than who is the best in the state. Sorry, but this isn't high school anymore. We are playing for conference titles and playoff births on a national level and the most important game isn't who is the best in the state.
                                Yea, everybody in Division I is playing for something bigger, hopefully that is the goal of each and every team in athletics. But, you mean tell me that bragging rights in your home state isn't important either?? Then why, please tell me why, does the REST of the states that have two Division I teams, most with one named State and the other University, play each other in football and basketball??? And it sure seems that Rivalry Week, that last week of the regular season in football does wonders for the schools that host the games. I agree, a National Championship or even Conference championship is what it is all about, but it was something special back in the day, and it will be special again someday, we are going to play them again, why not get ready for the excitement of a sold out Frost Arena, where every possesion the crowd is into it and the game means something regardless of the record of either team.

Comment

Working...
                                X