Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    What if USD wants nothing to do with SDSU for a while?
    And the plot thickens...

An interesting twist to put on this situation. I like this idea. Hey all you udot fan lurkers out there, feel free to weigh in with your positions. I would like to hear as well. Maybe they don't want anything to do with us either. I really don't know. I don't have any udot friends to inform me.

Disclaimer: I actually do have a couple udot friends. Please don't throw me off the board. I swear it is only two friends.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      One other note....

While current students and recent alums may not see USD as a major rivalry, MOST of the SDSU alumni base, and certainly the most well established SDSU alumni see USD as a rival.....

Certainly something to consider.
      Come on, I am a Alum with two degrees from State, worked for State for 7-8 years, very rarely miss any Jack games until recently because of location but still would be hard to beat me as far as BB attendance in the last 13 years. I have attended games vs. the u at both places since the early 70's and trust me there are a lot of us that could care less.

Here we go with Chuck and the dead horse again.

P.S.
      You have been logging on to TV's blog for ever, why did it take you so long to join us here?

Comment

So I haven't been able to find anything about the Iowa legislature requiring Iowa to play Iowa State. I would really like to read the bill on that, if someone can help me out.

As far as a football rivalry ISU needs two wins for a good season Iowa and Nebraska. They can go 2-10 and would be elated to beat Iowa and Nebraska. Iowa loves beating Iowa State. It doesn't make a season, doesn't really ruin a season either. Even beating Minnesota and Wisconsin doesn't top taking out Penn State this year. Basketball is a bit different. I think both teams hold that game evenly.

As far as USD/SDSU, does it need to be revived? No. Will it be a conference game? Probably not, I don't see MVFC adding 2 more teams or the Summit picking up 2 either. Picking up a basketball game against them is a good way to get the teams back together. They need to be full fledged DI before we play them in football. The games against Cal-Poly and McNeese State, look a lot better for playoff selection than USD would be right now.
        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
          there are a lot of us that could care less
          And a fair number that would pay the regular price of admission to see USD when we wouldn't pay to see Stephen F. Austin, etc.

Call me a fair weather fan, but I'd rather spend my travel dollars going to BB doubleheaders.

As to why it took so long to sign up here, basic answer is it's a time sink, but I can afford to waste a bit more time on SDSU these days.

--

Ultimately, USD/SDSU makes sense to me on a dollars and cents level as well as a 'history' level. Gate promises to be good, it's a date that can be heavily promoted every other year, and travel costs on odd years are practically non-existent (Fer cryin' out loud, USD is closer than NDSU).

It doesn't have to be about anything other than an extra excuse to go eat some brats the first weekend in November (or the last weekend in October), enjoy a moderate amount of alcohol (if you so desire) and take in a storied football 'rivalry'.

--

Add USD in the year you don't have NDSU and you've got the following 'dates':

- Beef Bowl
          - Cereal Bowl
          - Hobo Days
          - Marker Game / State-U classic

That's four games out of five or six that you can heavily promote.

Also having a pair of late season 15k+ games (NDSU & USD) in alternating years should make budgeting easier. As it is, you're looking at a pretty significant drop off in late season attendance when we =don't= host NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
            They need to be full fledged DI before we play them in football.
            Didn't you hear? The BoR is giving them a free pass on Title IX compliance so they can ramp up FB scholarships and qualify for payout games.

IMO they may need to drop sports to stay D-1, if they're so much in need of those payday games to make their budget work.

But as long as beating them counts toward an FCS playoff spot, better to play them and win than to lose to Cal-Poly (and that loss to Cal-Poly has got to be one of the reasons why SDSU BEAT NDSU, finished 2-games better in the MVFC and still ended up behind NDSU in the polls).

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              When the game is finally played it will not be a rivalary game since they are no longer in the same conference there is no degree of certainty of when they will play a game again. It will be simply be an in-state game against a foe in the same classification.
              Don't kid yourself we will be in the same confernece again!

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
                I'm kidding myself so bad I got to pee. But man I want some pie.

Comment

Which football conference is that then? I must have missed udot's invite to the MVFC.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    But as long as beating them counts toward an FCS playoff spot, better to play them and win than to lose to Cal-Poly (and that loss to Cal-Poly has got to be one of the reasons why SDSU BEAT NDSU, finished 2-games better in the MVFC and still ended up behind NDSU in the polls).
                    NDSU started high in the polls than SDSU. That makes a HUGE difference.
                    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Which conference? We aren't going back to Great West, MVC wouldn't add more schools, even if they did, I am not convinced USD would be added.

Comment

Someone...PLEASE make this stop!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          Oh, I dunno . . . it's gotten to the point where this discussion amuses me GREATLY.

It's all about your attitude . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            If you don't like it, don't click on the thread. Easy solution.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                              Which conference? We aren't going back to Great West, MVC wouldn't add more schools, even if they did, I am not convinced USD would be added.
                              MVC would want a good school, which has beaten quality DI football teams. No free ride for the Udot.

As to the SDSU-Udot game, don't need to see it in my opinion. They are old news to us.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I think I may have gotten dumber reading this thread. One thing we all must remember is that USD is not an official Division 1 school yet. SDSU in August, I believe just became official. The Coyotes have huge financial and compliance hurdles to cross before this can even become an option. If they cross these, they will probably be able to at some point grab our coattails and get into the Summit League. And that is at some point. That point may be ten years down the road. Eventually we will probably play them. Regardless, at this point SDSU has placed so much space between the U that they will be nothing more than a little brother similar to Oklahoma State is to Oklahoma or Michigan State is to Michigan. We will be like Oklahoma and Michigan and will look to our neighboring state for our big rival game. Will we play USD again? Probably. It will be hyped up the first year or two, but it will shortly become an equivalent of just another game.
                                Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X