Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU/USD Solution--Million Dollar Game

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Edit: Then buy season tickets for $100. I think your reaction is the same as a lot of people, but in the end a lot of people would say "crap, I guess I'll buy season tickets cause I really want to go to the game, and I like going to the Beef Bowl, Hobo Day, and NDSU game anyway. I've heard multiple people ask the same question regarding an $18 single game men's basketball ticket, but we still manage to draw over 2000 people a game...--End of Edit

The point of having this single game ticket $50 is to give incentive people to buy season tickets. I actually considered $100 for a single ticket to this game to encourage more people to buy season tickets, or the only way you get into the game is to buy season tickets or be a lottery winning student.

If only 6000 paying fans from each school could get a ticket to what would be one of the most hyped and talked about football games in the history of the state, I don't think $50 is that much.

I paid $90 dollars for the Summit League tournament pass without any guarantee that an SDSU team would even play... The women should, the men might, but $50 doesn't seem like a whole lot when season tickets are only $100, and there are a whole lot of folks who would want to see this game.
    I believe this is what is called irrational exuberance. You're crazy if you think people would shell out $100 for 1 game. Do you think that would maybe alienate some fan bases a little bit because of the money grab?

You paid $90 for an entire tournament pass to 14 games to get into the NCAA post-season. To compare that to a single game doesn't quite make sense to me.

Comment

To defend the plan - Texas and Oklahoma play every year in a 'neutral site'. Those fan bases don't seem to mind.

Now, I for one am not in favor of the plan, but imagine if both teams started doing well and were regularly ranked in the top 25. After starting the games back up this game could do well. I think right now the prices being mentioned are a bit high but they could easily get there if both schools perform at a high level.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

But you are expecting USD to sell 6000 tickets. Even with the "10,000" fans who were at their home games, the best they could do is sell 250 to the people who actually attend games at the Dome. That's 5,750 tickets they can't sell.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Is it too early to ask the thread killer to throw his weight around?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
            I'm a season ticket holder and I will never attend a regular season SDSU football game in Sioux Falls. Our home is CAS. Period.
            That folks is from someone living in Vermillion that will drive a 100+ miles to CAS for a game but won't go to Sioux Falls which is 50 miles closer.

I have no problem with making the "big game" each year a higher dollar amount as to encourage more season tickets. We've got a good thing going a CAS and let's keep improving on it!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
              But you are expecting USD to sell 6000 tickets. Even with the "10,000" fans who were at their home games, the best they could do is sell 250 to the people who actually attend games at the Dome. That's 5,750 tickets they can't sell.
              We have a BINGO!!!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                I'm a season ticket holder and I will never attend a regular season SDSU football game in Sioux Falls. Our home is CAS. Period.

I agree with this to a large degree and love going to games at CAS.

A couple of points to make, though.

The SDSU/USD game is going to be played again someday, whether through good will or mandate.

Even if we get 2 home games--or more--to start out the series (which is highly unlikely), eventually the game will go back to one at CAS one at the Dome. The fuss over the original 2 home games will drive a ton of bad publicity (maybe more than a $50 ticket price), potentially turning off thousands of "casual" fans. And it goes back to being a circled date on the calendar where many fans will only attend that one game per season, not bothering to buy season tickets or attend other home games (for SDSU and USD).

If it resumes under the old fashion, do you want to subject our student athletes and fans to the environment at the Dakota Dome every other year AND miss out on critical revenue every other year?

Are you adamant enough about this stance to turn away possibly half a million dollars (more or less) for a game played 1 hour from home? What if the game replaces an FBS game on the years it is played with an equal or better payday? That would be an away game anyways, so you wouldn't be losing a home game at CAS.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                  I"M not expecting to sell the 6000 USD tickets, and it doesn't matter if they sell 1 or 6000. Each school is responsible for selling their own allotment, and each school gets to keep the revenue generated from their portion of ticket sales. USD can give their tickets away for all SDSU cares. And even if SDSU fans gobble up all the free USD tickets, imagine what an article in the Argus 1 month before the game with a headline like, "USD sells all its tickets to first annual Rushmore Bowl." Do you suppose some SDSU fans might get their feathers ruffled enough to buy season tickets or single game tickets for $50 a pop?

One other adjustment to the original plan, the game wouldn't be televised unless it was sold out.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Edit: Then buy season tickets for $100. I think your reaction is the same as a lot of people, but in the end a lot of people would say "crap, I guess I'll buy season tickets cause I really want to go to the game, and I like going to the Beef Bowl, Hobo Day, and NDSU game anyway. I've heard multiple people ask the same question regarding an $18 single game men's basketball ticket, but we still manage to draw over 2000 people a game...--End of Edit

The point of having this single game ticket $50 is to give incentive people to buy season tickets. I actually considered $100 for a single ticket to this game to encourage more people to buy season tickets, or the only way you get into the game is to buy season tickets or be a lottery winning student.

If only 6000 paying fans from each school could get a ticket to what would be one of the most hyped and talked about football games in the history of the state, I don't think $50 is that much.

I paid $90 dollars for the Summit League tournament pass without any guarantee that an SDSU team would even play... The women should, the men might, but $50 doesn't seem like a whole lot when season tickets are only $100, and there are a whole lot of folks who would want to see this game.
                    Except that having USD on the schedule would make me NOT want to get season tickets, as I wouldn't support playing a watered down schedule.
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Edging close to smack, there . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

$50 for the first few games of this series would be an easy sell. After that, probably not going to happen. I believe it would boost season ticket sales dramatically, at least for that first few years.

The $300 to tailgate is a joke. Buffalo Wild Wings and several other bars are right in the vacinity.

I'm not sure if I like the idea or not, but it is interesting to think about. If played later in the season, it could provide a solution to our Hobo Day hangover attendence problem. I don't like the idea of sharing anything with the U., especially revenue, but this thing would sell out in a heartbeat...and don't give me the crap about the students not knowing about the rivalry. The alumni will sell this out themselves and the students will learn about its past, good and bad. TV would be a guarantee. Interesting.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                          ...and don't give me the crap about the students not knowing about the rivalry. The alumni will sell this out themselves and the students will learn about its past, good and bad. TV would be a guarantee. Interesting.
                          I agree with this. I will travel from wherever I am living at the time for this first game. While I love having the Dakota Marker rivalry and all its great games so far, playing the udot again will bring in the fans as well. I can tell you, I will dust off the old Screw the U t-shirt and wear it probably everyday that week leading up to the game. I for one can wait until its a more level playing field and its in our best interest, but once it is, it will be an awesome experience IMO. And while most would not pay $50, I would pay that and probably more to see it. Seriously. I have spent money on much worse entertainment that doesn't get me boiling like this would.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Edging close to smack, there . . .
                            My apologies.

I guess I'll have to concede to the fact that others care way more than I do to play Udot again.
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I guess my first question for SF_Rabbit_Fan is: what makes you think that your revenue numbers are anywhere close to reasonable in the Sioux Falls market?

I don't mean that to be unnecessarily argumentative, but I see a lot of revenue projections--and no expenses and no particular reason to think that your revenue estimates would be accurate.

My point is that until I have an understanding of how you're coming up with your revenue numbers, it's not really possible to consider the proposal on anything but an emotional basis.

(I got the MBA, I might as well use it every once in a while! )
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                                I appreciate all your thoughts on this idea, but I still have two things against it. Don't want to play it in SF, let's use our own facility and secondly, I never want to play Udot in anything, ever again...
                                You summed it up very well. Couldn't agree more.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X