2009 Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Prospects

In reading all of the posts of a possible transfer of Tice to SDSU as QB I must have misssed one important post. First and foremost he has yet to transfer to SDSU. He has not done that yet or have I missed something? Kim Nelson was his high school coach at Edina. Was that the same Kim Nelson that was coach at SF Washington? I would hope the Jacks are looking for a QB that has a little more experience than the practice squad as Mr. Tice has. Don't mistake my interest in Tice as a transfer as we certainly need a QB for next season.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
      Kim Nelson was his high school coach at Edina. Was that the same Kim Nelson that was coach at SF Washington? .

GBGBGJ
      Yes that is correct. Kim Nelson use to be the SF Washington head coach.

Comment

I quit reading the rule after a while but I think JimmyJack's analysis seems on point.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
          In reading all of the posts of a possible transfer of Tice to SDSU as QB I must have misssed one important post. First and foremost he has yet to transfer to SDSU. He has not done that yet or have I missed something? Kim Nelson was his high school coach at Edina. Was that the same Kim Nelson that was coach at SF Washington? I would hope the Jacks are looking for a QB that has a little more experience than the practice squad as Mr. Tice has. Don't mistake my interest in Tice as a transfer as we certainly need a QB for next season.

GBGBGJ
          If you're hoping we'll find an experienced transfer QB who can play right away, there's no such thing. Sure, there may be some JuCo guy out there, and I know they're looking. But we all know the risks of JuCo's whether it be academic qualification or character or whatever.

Here we have a kid, a coach's son who was good enough coming out of high school to be recruited by several FCS programs. He's also a good student, which is handy. And the reality is we should have five QBs on the roster at any given time, recruiting one each year. Bad luck has led us to this, so it seems to me Nate Tice would be a nice addition to our nearly empty stable of QBs. Is the fourth stringer from UCF good enough to start for us? Maybe. I, for one, would like to find out.

The coaches, who have forgotten more about football this afternoon than I will ever know, have determined that Tice is a talent worth pursuing. That's good enough for me.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            If you're hoping we'll find an experienced transfer QB who can play right away, there's no such thing. Sure, there may be some JuCo guy out there, and I know they're looking. But we all know the risks of JuCo's whether it be academic qualification or character or whatever.

Here we have a kid, a coach's son who was good enough coming out of high school to be recruited by several FCS programs. He's also a good student, which is handy. And the reality is we should have five QBs on the roster at any given time, recruiting one each year. Bad luck has led us to this, so it seems to me Nate Tice would be a nice addition to our nearly empty stable of QBs. Is the fourth stringer from UCF good enough to start for us? Maybe. I, for one, would like to find out.

The coaches, who have forgotten more about football this afternoon than I will ever know, have determined that Tice is a talent worth pursuing. That's good enough for me.
            Well said and no disagreements here. Your statement I bolded makes me question somewhat the coaches decision to switch two guys (Brad Iverson and Corey Jeske) from QB to other positions. To only have one real backup QB in Crawford, with the other one O'brien wearing a red-shirt is playing with fire. Now with losing Crawford to injury we have zero backups to O'Brien unless Jeske gets moved back or we find some transfers.

This is not a good situation going into next year! Lets all hope that O'Brien is as good as advertised and he or whoever else we find to start is able to stay healthy during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              Well said and no disagreements here. Your statement I bolded makes me question somewhat the coaches decision to switch two guys (Brad Iverson and Corey Jeske) from QB to other positions. To only have one real backup QB in Crawford, with the other one O'brien wearing a red-shirt is playing with fire. Now with losing Crawford to injury we have zero backups to O'Brien unless Jeske gets moved back or we find some transfers.

This is not a good situation going into next year! Lets all hope that O'Brien is as good as advertised and he or whoever else we find to start is able to stay healthy during the season.
              The way I understood the situation with Iverson was that he was recruited with the intent of becoming a WR. They delayed it because of the wide open Quarterback situation behind Berry. As far as Jeske people didn't think had a real chance at becoming anything more then a 3rd string quarterback, but they thought he could help the team on defense.

The team will probably bring in atleast 1 transfer and 2 freshman.... but I'm one to believe that you only need 2 true quarterbacks.... If you need a 3rd stringer to play any extended period of time you can say that your season isn't looking too good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                Well said and no disagreements here. Your statement I bolded makes me question somewhat the coaches decision to switch two guys (Brad Iverson and Corey Jeske) from QB to other positions.
                I'm guessing that pretty much everything is on the table right now. Spring ball will be an opportunity for the coaches to see just who (new to the roster or already here) can be in the mix at QB.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Earv Archambeau and some lineman from O'Gorman committed to USD....

Comment

If I remember correctly, Tice was mostly recruited at UCF due to Mike Tice's relationship with George O'leary, who was Tice's D-corrdinator at the Vikings. Not that he isn't a good player, but if my memory serves me correct, he was recruited more on the friendship of O'Leary and his dad, rather than the talent level. Edina is a good, not a great football school, but you have to be pretty good to play at that level especially with the teams in their conference: Eden Prairie, Bloomington Jefferson, Lakeville, Eagan, etc.

Comment

• Re: 2009 Prospects

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                      If I remember correctly, Tice was mostly recruited at UCF due to Mike Tice's relationship with George O'leary, who was Tice's D-corrdinator at the Vikings. Not that he isn't a good player, but if my memory serves me correct, he was recruited more on the friendship of O'Leary and his dad, rather than the talent level. Edina is a good, not a great football school, but you have to be pretty good to play at that level especially with the teams in their conference: Eden Prairie, Bloomington Jefferson, Lakeville, Eagan, etc.
                      He was also offered by BYU. Maybe he was more comfortable at UCF because of his relationship with O'Leary.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        Earv Archambeau and some lineman from O'Gorman committed to USD....
                        Link please Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                          Link please.
                          Link for Archambeau and O'Gorman lineman going to USD

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...01/1002/SPORTS

Comment

Sucks for them!

Comment

Originally posted by RABBITALUM08 View Post
                              Sucks for them!
                              Well that is yet to be determined. Both could have successful careers at USD and the family connections both have obviously played a role in that decision, so it may actually be the best decision both could have made. I won't fault a kid for following in his father's footsteps (see Parker, our recent verbal) or Earv wanting to be there with his brother. So saying "sucks for them!" just because they are going to udot probably isn't warranted. If this was in the smack section, things might be different.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by RABBITALUM08 View Post
                                Sucks for them!
                                Actually, sucks for us. Both would have looked good in Yellow and Blue and will probably be good players for the coyotes. I just hope Mr. Pharris' teamates don't follow him to USD or worse yet choose to become Bison, both Powell and Wright would look good at SDSU too.
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X