Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Prospects

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
    Not sure where you guys are coming up with the UNI stuff, it may be true, but TV said Gardner-Webb and Montana were the schools he was looking at.
    The St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that he visited Northern Iowa.... I've talked to some people that know Minnesota football. They said that the high school Edina is legit and Nate was a pretty good quarterback but at the same time they said that his recruitment was made a lot bigger because of his dad (similar to Jack Elway) and that most people believe that if he wants to become a star he should become a TE.

Comment

Any word on who some of the other recruits were?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        How good is he though? He was 3rd on the depth chart at UCF before deciding to transfer.
        Good enough that our coaches want him to come here and start.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

How good is he as a third QB at UCF...well, maybe, very good. That is getting to be a very potent football school. With Crawford's career probably ended, if Tice comes and is good enough to beat out O'Brien, then so be it. It would certainly give us a read on O'Brien's ability as well as Tice's ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            How good is he as a third QB at UCF...well, maybe, very good. That is getting to be a very potent football school. With Crawford's career probably ended, if Tice comes and is good enough to beat out O'Brien, then so be it. It would certainly give us a read on O'Brien's ability as well as Tice's ability.
            I checked UCF's roster and did not see Tice even listed. Three other QB's listed but not Tice. However, the Jack's are not in a very good bargaining position right now as far as QB's go. We need help and I hate putting a promising season in the hands of an untested RS FR. O'Brien may very well be our QB of the future but the future will not wait for O'Brien. I understand O'Brien can throw the ball a mile but is less than nimble and a little soft yet. Easy for me to say as I don't have a 300 lb lineman bearing down on me and want to take my head off! A JC kid or transfer would likely be our best shot. Any word on were the Bates kid from Iowa State ended up? I would think with the running game, offensive line and rec's that a starting QB job at SDSU would be fairly attractive. I am sure the coaching staff is leaving no leaf unturned.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Wouldn't Mr.Tice have to sit out a year as a transfer ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Wouldn't Mr.Tice have to sit out a year as a transfer ?
                Fair question. But, I did not see him on UCF's roster so maybe he did not participate this year? Don't know the answer. I suspect if we are indeed recruiting him we expect to have him or any other QB available for next season.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                  Fair question. But, I did not see him on UCF's roster so maybe he did not participate this year? Don't know the answer. I suspect if we are indeed recruiting him we expect to have him or any other QB available for next season.

GBGBGJ
                  It's my understanding that you don't have to sit out when you transfer down a division. UCF is FBS, we're FCS, so he's eligible right away, right? I think they'd probably like him to start school in January so he can get reps in spring football. If he had to sit out anyway, I suspect he'd be looking at other FBS programs. He's looking in FCS because he wants to play right away.

He's not linked on UCF's Web site because he has left UCF. Here's the page TV linked to yesterday:

http://ucf.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=51305

His UCF page is still there, though:

http://ucfathletics.cstv.com/sports/...ce_nate00.html

Announcement that he was leaving UCF:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...rt-freshm.html

6'4" 200 pounds (out of high school) and 4.8 in the 40. That's good size and reasonably good athleticism. BYU recruited him, so I presume he can throw the ball.

Some discussion on egriz as well.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewt...34274&p=433944

Consensus there is they don't need another QB.
                  Last edited by JimmyJack; 12-07-2008, 11:04 AM.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    It's my understanding that you don't have to sit out when you transfer down a division. UCF is FBS, we're FCS, so he's eligible right away, right?
                    That is correct. What I find interesting is that some of the people I have spoken to that saw him play said he wasn't that great in high school. I guess we'll see but I have faith that the coaches won't make a horrible decision.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

JimmyJack noted: "It's my understanding that you don't have to sit out when you transfer down a division. UCF is FBS, we're FCS, so he's eligible right away, right?"

The NCAA Div I Manual is available on line. LINK

Section 14.5 of the Manual covers the topic "Transfer Regulations". Different rules apply for transfers from two-year institutions vs transfers from four-year insitutions. The current discussion focuses a student/athlete (Tice) transferring from a four-year institution (UCF) to a four-year institution (e.g. SDSU, Montana, whatever). NCAA Rule, Sub-section 14.5.5, addresses "Four-Year College Transfers". Rule 14.5.5.1 is the general rule and states:

"14.5.5.1 General Rule.
                      A transfer student from a four-year institution shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition at a member institution until the student has fulfilled a residence requirement of one full academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters) at the certifying institution. Further, a transfer student-athlete admitted after the 12th class day may not use that semester or quarter for the purpose of establishing residency."
                      Keep in mind Rule 14.5.5.1 is part of the DI Manual -- we are a "member institution" in DI.

As you dig further into the rules, you can read about exceptions.

Comment

The 2007-2008 NCAA Manual for all Divisions, titled "Transfer 101", is available on line. I could not locate the manual on the NCAA site -- the site was balky this morning -- but found a pdf copy of the manual on Drexel U's site. LINK

This is the manual for last year but I do not think there have been significant changes (or any changes?) in the rules for this academic year. The manual is a less formal statement of the rules. From the manual, at Section 4, there is the following statement of the general rule:

"If you transfer from a two-year school and do not meet the transfer requirements, or you transfer from a four-year school, whether you are a foreign or domestic student, this basic transfer rule applies to you:
                        You must spend one academic year in residence at your new school before you are eligible to play."

So, are you sure about not having to sit out if you move down a division?

Comment

Section 14.5.5.2.10 One-Time Transfer Exception.

Specifically addresses transfers moving down from FBS to FCS. You can do it once and participate right away.

"A participant in championship subdivision football at the institution to which the student is transferring may use this exception only if the participant transferred to the certifying institution from an institution that sponsors bowl subdivision football and has two or more seasons of competition remaining"
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

See Rhett Bhomar, JD Quinn, and Ryan Perilloux as most recent examples. They all played immediately after tranferring down from FBS schools.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Bomar actually sat for the 2006 season as did JD Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                                Bomar actually sat for the 2006 season as did JD Quinn
                                There are a couple of deal-breakers on that one-time transfer exception. One is that the student athlete must not have participated for very long in FBS, two years. Bomar had a redshirt year and his freshman year already in the books when he was booted off the team at OU. The other deal-breaker, and more likely the problem here, the school from which the student athlete transfers must not object to allowing his eligibility. I'm guessing that OU objected to Bomar's transfer to punish him for the jeopardy his actions put the football program in with the NCAA. In this case, Tice didn't participate in 2008 at UCF. And they released him from his scholarship and obligations there.

The point is, if you read the rule (and I suggest you do if you have any doubts) none of those deal-breakers apply here. Tice is likely eligible to transfer and play immediately.

And by the way, does anybody here really think our coaches haven't investigated all of this? They have Tice in mind as an immediate competitor with O'Brien for spring football. We only have one QB on the roster, for heaven's sakes.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X