Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iowa State fan here...

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    Cowherd isn't picking on SDSU for not being any good, he is dissing BCS schools for scheduling FCS opponents and playing weak OOC schedules. The point isn't whether or not SDSU, App. St., or Youngstown St., or whoever else is any good, its that BCS schools should be playing other BCS schools for non-conference games and not playing down a division or playing a directional powderpuff FBS school.
    This is no different than us dissing ourselves or a school like USD for scheduling non-DI teams. FCS football is considered a step-down to BCS schools and the national media market, regardless of what the FCS team is ranked the previous year.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
      This is no different than us dissing ourselves or a school like USD for scheduling non-DI teams. FCS football is considered a step-down to BCS schools and the national media market, regardless of what the FCS team is ranked the previous year.
      Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. I'd be dissapointed now that we are playoff eligible to play any lower division teams. We did it during the transition, which was fine, but I hope we don't in the future, and looking at our future schedules I don't see how anyone could say we aren't playing tough OOC games.

Comment

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not. I'd be dissapointed now that we are playoff eligible to play any lower division teams. We did it during the transition, which was fine, but I hope we don't in the future, and looking at our future schedules I don't see how anyone could say we aren't playing tough OOC games.
        I'm not agreeing or disagreeing I guess...more just furthering your argument. The national media can get on teams in the Big 10 or Big 12 for playing a week schedule. I can't blame them though since in 2004 the strength of schedule component was removed from the BCS formula. Granted the voters in each poll still likely look at it when ranking teams, I'm sure teams that play a weak schedule are trying to find a fine line of going undefeated versus not having a chance of playing in the national title game.

Comment

At AGS, there is a comparison thread asking exactly how tough schedules are. So far, SDSU has the lead (toughest in FCS).

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...t=41779&page=3

Comment

We just need to go into Iowa State, win the game, and everyone will give us the respect.

Comment

What I hear a lot of you saying is what our ESPN commentator says and that is all FCS schools are the same. Savannah State, South Dakota State, or Appalachian State it doesn't matter because they are all FCS schools. If that is your opinion, I can respect it, I don't agree with it but I can respect it.

If you share that opinion then perhaps Iowa State does deserve some scorn as they not only schedule FCS schools but they schedule good FCS schools ones that have a chance of beating them (see UNI from last year). Foolish.

I am still of the opinion that if you are going to "judge" someone schedule then you must rate each opponent and as stated before I do not believe that all FCS schools are created equal. To me there is a difference between Savannah State and Appalachian State even though they are both FCS.

For those of you who think we will "earn" any respect if/when we beat IowaState by those who think like our friend at ESPN . . . I say think again. If Appalachian State can go into the "Big House" and knock off Michigan and still “all FCS schools are the same” what good will SDSU beating Iowa State do from a respect stand point?

Again, just my opinion.

Go State!

Comment

I'm with 89Rabbit on this one. Beating Iowa State won't give us any respect from ESPN commentators like Cowherd. They will just point out how they lost to a lowly opponent.

What I object to, is not that Cowherd is telling it like it is in regards to BCS scheduling, but that you don't have to disrespect a lower division team with your choice of language... i.e., something called South Dakota State. He could have said that Iowa State was scheduling a new Division I school just finishing up its transition, without crapping on our school. I told him that in an e-mail...not that it will make a hill of beans with him.
                Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 05-28-2008, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                  like our friend at ESPN
                  I take that your use of "friend" is in the same context as Sen. McCain saying "listen my friend" when speaking to someone that he is in extreme disagreement with.

Not getting political.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    I take that your use of "friend" is in the same context as Sen. McCain saying "listen my friend" when speaking to someone that he is in extreme disagreement with.

Not getting political.
                    1st row,
                    Love your new signature line...just watched that movie this past weekend and loved it.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I think you guys are blowing it out of proportion, but apparently I'm in the minority here so I'll leave it at that.

Comment

I think you guys are blowing it out of proportion, but apparently I'm in the minority here so I'll leave it at that.
                        You're a Cowherd fan and it seems some others who post here are not. He doesn't care if he offends a few South Dakota State fans when he thinks he is being funny. He'll tell you that if you ask him. I only listen to him if no other sports talk is available on the radio. He is humorous at times but not the knowledgable. He certainly isn't on the "inside" like the true reporters at ESPN can be.

I'm glad we have the opportunity to play some big name FBS teams. I'll take a mention on ESPN even if its not flattering. Lastly, I'm not really concerned about earning any respect from Cowherd.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Not a huge Cowherd fan, but not against him either. He has the microphone so he gets to flap about anything he likes. If I had the microphone I would say different things about SDSU.

Comment

Well you can talk to him if you would like he is going to be giving a speech in Sioux Falls on June 26th at the Ramkota.

http://www.sdnafvsa.com/calendar.php

Comment

Originally posted by sf_jackster View Post
                              Well you can talk to him if you would like he is going to be giving a speech in Sioux Falls on June 26th at the Ramkota.

http://www.sdnafvsa.com/calendar.php
                              Ah. That explains it. He's trying to get an audience in the house for his appearance by dissing SDSU. In other words, he's just a pro, being a pro.

(am I cynical, or what?)

p.s. at first glance it actually looks like a good charity event--no disrespect intended!
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                I've said it before, I'll say it again . . . respect is not given, it is earned.

We've got the opportunity to earn some respect. We shouldn't waste it.
                                Well said. Well said. The comment was not a personal thing. It's just what he (or one of his researchers) stumbled across. They aren't going to fret much about whether they are going to wind up a few fans at a rural state's flagship institution. Beyond that, Cowherd loves to get people going.
                                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X