Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iowa State fan here...

Originally posted by crjack View Post
    I am looking forward to the game, although I wish it was being played on Saturday.
    I'm an SDSU grad living in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I have two sons at ISU now and one who graduated from there in 2002. I'll be wearing my Jackrabbit Journalist sweatshirt and sitting on the grass amongst the Cyclone fans with my cheap hillside season tickets. It's a good college football atmosphere in Ames. The Jacks should do well against Iowa State. The Clones are still trying to find their way under a second-year coach and lost to UNI last year and should have lost to the Panthers the year before.
    I saw the SDSU game at the UNI-Dome two years ago. The Jacks led at half and should have won if it hadn't been for a wounded-duck-pass interception when Ryan Berry went in to replace Kardoes at QB for a few plays when he got hurt. I couldn't understand why they had him throw a long pass when they were picking apart the Panthers with short passes and runs. They were driving for another score and the interception was run back for about 40 yards. It was also questionable whether UNI recovered a later Jackrabbit fumble before the ball went out of bounds. Plan to see this year's game at the Dome.
    Listened to the NDSU game on the radio on the way home from an Iowa State game last fall. Pretty exciting.
    My first post on the forum.
    Nice first post and welcome to the board CR!!

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
      I guess that may be true. I would say a lot/most of the bandwagon fans and some of the average fans don't know who he is. They might know of him, but don't know the story behind the name. Which is sad IMO.
      I agree. His story should be told in the pre-game of the first game every year. The Hawkeyes do a good job of mentioning Kinnick's Heismen and WWII service in at least one pre-game a year.

Counting down the days to single ticket sales. Got to get my UNI and ISU tickets!
      Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
      -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Jacks fans need to make sure they get a hotel reservations early, there is the largest farm show in the nation going on between Boone and Ames the entire week. Just a heads up! GO JACKS!

Comment

Originally posted by HARE1 View Post
          Jacks fans need to make sure they get a hotel reservations early, there is the largest farm show in the nation going on between Boone and Ames the entire week. Just a heads up! GO JACKS!
          I think rooms are already pretty hard to come by. We can stay with friends or family if needed so we are covered.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I think rooms are already pretty hard to come by. We can stay with friends or family if needed so we are covered.
            Yeah, Hotel rooms are usually tough to get during the weekend of a football game. However, with this being a thursday night game, I don't think the demand will be as high as normal, but it's always good to be on the safe side.

Comment

I booked a couple a month ago. Two months ago I looked and there was almost nothing available.

My advice is to book one ASAP, you can always cancel.

It's going to be a historical day for SDSU and it could be bigger if Iowa State doesn't upset us. That's right, there's a W in Iowa as far as I'm concerned!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio -- while ripping the Big XII for its weak non-conference scheduling -- just noted that Iowa State plays "something called a South Dakota State." Dork.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                  Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio -- while ripping the Big XII for its weak non-conference scheduling -- just noted that Iowa State plays "something called a South Dakota State." Dork.
                  Perhaps a little education/introduction is in order:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...?page=herdmail

Go State!

Comment

Cowherd is coming to Sioux Falls to speak at a banquet of some sort later this summer. Between this and the way he ripped Kirby Puckett after he died because of his off-field, post playing days, it should be interesting to see what kind of response he gets. I wonder if there will be a question and answer session with him?

Sorry about the thread drift.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                      He's just stating it like it is. SDSU is not considered a tough game for a BCS Conference. Doesn't mean we won't compete, or aren't any good, its just simple fact that playing an FCS opponent doesn't look favorably on a BCS team's strength of schedule.

Comment

I'll wait and e-mail him after SDSU beats Iowa State. It won't matter though...I've been listening to Cowherd a long time and no opinion is correct other than his own.

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          He's just stating it like it is. SDSU is not considered a tough game for a BCS Conference. Doesn't mean we won't compete, or aren't any good, its just simple fact that playing an FCS opponent doesn't look favorably on a BCS team's strength of schedule.
                          I guess I would argue that lots of FBS schools play FCS schools and not all FCS schools are created equal. So if he wants to make fun of Big 12 schools playing FCS schools why not look at Baylor vs. Samford or Oklahoma vs. Tennessee Chattanooga. Neither FCS schools was ranked in the Top 25 nor are either a State Flagship school (unlike SDSU).

I can think of three cases off the top of my head when a top 25 FCS school knocked off a FBS school last year:

App. State vs. Michigan
                          NDSU vs. Minnesota
                          UNI vs. Iowa State

I guess all I am saying is, that he could have made his point without disrespecting our Rabbits.

Go State!

Comment

I've said it before, I'll say it again . . . respect is not given, it is earned.

We've got the opportunity to earn some respect. We shouldn't waste it.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm not asking for a gift, we have been a top 25 program the last two seasons and top 25 programs have done ok against FBS schools.

Besides do you think we will get any respect from Colin Cowherd if we beat Iowa State? I don't, but you gotta push back every now and again to let them know we are out here.

Just my opinion.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                                I'm not asking for a gift, we have been a top 25 program the last two seasons and top 25 programs have done ok against FBS schools.

Besides do you think we will get any respect from Colin Cowherd if we beat Iowa State? I don't, but you gotta push back every now and again to let them know we are out here.

Just my opinion.

Go State!
                                Cowherd isn't picking on SDSU for not being any good, he is dissing BCS schools for scheduling FCS opponents and playing weak OOC schedules. The point isn't whether or not SDSU, App. St., or Youngstown St., or whoever else is any good, its that BCS schools should be playing other BCS schools for non-conference games and not playing down a division or playing a directional powderpuff FBS school.

He's been especially tough on the Big 10 and Big 12 who don't play everyone in their conference every season. Wisconsin doesn't always play Michigan and Ohio St. every year and Nebraska/Oklahoma the same way. He's pretty much stated that Ohio St. will be in the BCS championship game again this year because they will roll through the Big 10 and don't have any tough non-conf. games.

As Filbert said, respect isn't given, its earned. If in the next couple of years more upper BCS schools get knocked off like App. St. did to Michigan last season then maybe FCS will get respect. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with what Cowherd said because he is saying the truth that Iowa St. could have picked a better opponent to help their SoS. I'm happy they didn't though, because it gives me a chance to cheer on the Jacks against a BCS school.

Comment

Working...
                                X