News regarding the Dykhouse Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: News regarding the Dykhouse Center

It does look like it really does close in the north end of the field--almost worth losing that beautiful tree line.

Now, if we can only do something about those east stands.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The other thing that's not visible in the photos is that there's another "wing" to the building in the back, two-stories extending about 3/5 of the width and about the same depth to the north. So it's even more enormous than it appears from the stadium.

You can also see the "flip" in the roofline that is reminiscent of the Wellness Center.

And Filbert, when you look out across the way from the main grandstand, the trees appear to start back up close to the other side of the building. So the effect is to make the stadium feel very much closed in again.

Finally, the grass looks great. I'm with #1fan. It looks about as good as it ever has to me.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        It does look like it really does close in the north end of the field--almost worth losing that beautiful tree line.

Now, if we can only do something about those east stands.
        I would love to see a new east grandstand be the next point of emphasis in the on-going renovation of CAS. Perhaps the fundraising would not seem so daunting if the focus was on one piece at a time.

Comment

I was at the BHS game last night and the thing that struck me was the size of the Dykhouse Center. It is a lot bigger than what it seemed when just the frame was up. I was worried about there being wind issues but it really fills up the endzone.

It's going to be a great looking addition.

And the field did look very good!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Work has begun installing the windows, looks like most have been installed on the south side.

Comment

Will the deck be on the Dykhouse Center this weekend?

Comment

I wonder if there are any plans to put something behind the goal posts for kicked balls to hit. I'd assume a net would be the way to go if they don't mind obscuring the building for a few hours on game day.

Two game balls are on the roof after being kicked up there on extra points, and a third was only a couple inches away.

The crowd got a kick (no pun intended) watching the balls fly onto the roof on Saturday night...

Comment

I heard a rumor about why the construction is taking so long. This is secondhand news, so take that FWIW.

Part of the construction crews come from Sioux Falls. Well, their 8-10 hour workday includes the hour drive to and from Brookings. So, considering a lunch, they crews could be working as little as 5 hours on the Dykhouse center. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Time to stop the rumors that the center is behind schedule. The contract date for completion is in mid-December according to Mike Burgers. Move in is expected to be before the the last home game.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Had the December 15th date been floated out a little more I don't think that there would be all the talk about being behind schedule. When people were told that it would be finished "by the fall" I think many people took that as an earlier date.

Regardless of when it is done it is a welcome addition to the campus. I am hereby volunteering my time on gamedays to sit in a chair on top of it and catch extra points and field goals.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                        I am hereby volunteering my time on gamedays to sit in a chair on top of it and catch extra points and field goals.
                        Sounds like a fundraiser. I'll buy a couple of raffle tickets.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                          Sounds like a fundraiser. I'll buy a couple of raffle tickets.
                          And in November we can shovel off the snow and ice while we are up there. Maybe save the department a couple bucks.

Comment

I wonder if the building spec includes poles & a net.

I remember seeing Vinatieri once launch a second half kickoff through the uprights and into the trees.....

Comment

I just hope that there are no really bad kickers that come into CAS. One bad shanked kick and we could be calling Midwest Glass!

The only thing that kind of bothered me about the Center, and this is just nitpicking, was having the play clock on the side of it. Perhaps it will look a little better with the deck on there, but right now that blue square on the nice looking brick just doesn't look right.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                                I wonder if the building spec includes poles & a net.

I remember seeing Vinatieri once launch a second half kickoff through the uprights and into the trees.....
                                Kicking has improved greatly over the years. I remember when it was rare for the football to clear the trees beyond the end zone. The trees were quite small then compared to the most recent years when we saw several footballs in or beyond the treetops, and now on top of the Dykehouse center.
                                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                                X