News regarding the Dykhouse Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: News regarding the Dykhouse Center

I am not sure I want to go see games in Sanford Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
      I am not sure I want to go see games in Sanford Stadium.
      How about Sanford Field at Coughlin Alumni Stadium?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        How about Sanford Field at Coughlin Alumni Stadium?
        I am not worried about the naming rights, but more concerned about how the money is going to be raised to build the facilities. I suggest everyone who has a copy of College on The Hill take time and read the chapter Staduim for State. It was a very unpopular issue 50 years ago and I think not a whole lot has changed. If SDSU has not built facilities in decades, the main reason is the money was not there. Building outdoor facilities that are not used more than a dozen times a year is not a popular idea amongst the general population. It was so 50 years ago and certainly a great deal of that skepticism still exists in the SDSU community today. The alums that are passionate about new facilities such as CAS, need to put forth some financial resources to make these things happen. Our new AD seems very confident about tackling these projects, but its not going to be easy.

One thing that is interesting about the Staduim for State story is that the an assessment of student fees failed to be passed by the student body three times, but yet of the total pledges of roughly 262,000 dollars, the students pledged about $24,000 or about nine percent. The student assessment idea was brought forward by the Alumni Association committee when the pledge drive started in 1957 and stalled in 1959. The goal was to have the staduim ready when Kansas State came to Brookings in 1959. The Wildcats came to Brookings but they got the pleasure of playing in Old State Field (Sexauer Field).

I don't ever recall being approached though I was a student at SDSU starting 1959, but they had student athletes working for pledges. Frank Kurtenbach of Daktronics was one quoted in the chapter.

Also noted in the College on the Hill, a Alumni Association committee member who wanted to to remain anonymous told the Colleigian: Apparently many of the people interested in State College think that a few rich alumni will build the staduim". This statement was in reference to the pledge drive that stalled and yielded no seating for the east side nor for the end zones. Some how, fifty years later I hear a similar echo especially when T Denny Sanford's name is mentioned. He might give us additional gifts but I doubt he is going to contribute the entire cost of replacing CAS.

Btw the current name of SDSU did not come into being until 1964, and the quote was made back in 1959.

VJ Smith did such a marvelous job along with Amy Dunkle in writing "College on Hill", but in my opinion the Staduim for State Chapter is one of the best parts, and its an accurate historical account of what happened with SDSU in its attempt to build a staduim for state. So those who feel bitchy about not doing anything for decades, need to read this chapter.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 09-02-2009, 08:38 AM.

Comment

I would think a five-year fundraising drive for stadium renovation would not be unreasonable.

Unless a sugar daddy shows up, we're probably close to a decade away from a re-built CAS.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I would think a five-year fundraising drive for stadium renovation would not be unreasonable.

Unless a sugar daddy shows up, we're probably close to a decade away from a re-built CAS.
            Yep, it's going to take a grassroots campaign, with many of us on this board involved. I don't see one big donor coming forward. The money will be raised $100's at a time, not millions. The sooner they start, the better.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
              I know it has been said here before, but I was at CAS again this week and realized again just how big of building the Dykhouse really is. When you are down on the field it is huge.

I also noticed there is another trailer/modular home at the Stadium now, this one is right by the current lockerroom, or between there and the student entrance. I don't know why it would be there for sure, and hope it's gone by the first game, but it's not attractive and in a really bad spot. A lot of folks going to the game will have to walk right by it or around it to get into CAS.

While we are on this subject, is there any reason for the half fallen down, ugly green snow fence that is located along North Campus Drive in between the stadium and the soccer practice field? It seems like there are a number of little projects on that side of campus that could be fixed up in order to make that area look a lot better.
              Terry is going to be hurt that you don't read him.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...29/1002/sports

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                Terry is going to be hurt that you don't read him.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...29/1002/sports
                I'm not necessarily concerned about Terry's feelings or self esteem, as he gets a lot of well deserved praise by jackrabbit fans and others as well.

But I do read his articles, tweets, and blog and no where in Terry's story linked above did he note the location of the trailor being right next to one of the main entrances to CAS. That is what I was getting at with my post. The other three trailors, while definately eye sores, at least are on the back side of the stadium where traffic is minimal. The new trailor is front and center for all to see and walk by.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I'm not necessarily concerned about Terry's feelings or self esteem, as he gets a lot of well deserved praise by jackrabbit fans and others as well.

But I do read his articles, tweets, and blog and no where in Terry's story linked above did he note the location of the trailor being right next to one of the main entrances to CAS. That is what I was getting at with my post. The other three trailors, while definately eye sores, at least are on the back side of the stadium where traffic is minimal. The new trailor is front and center for all to see and walk by.
                  Maybe it's part of a devious plan by AD Sell to shame the alums into donating to the athletic department.

Just kidding. Mostly.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I agree we could pay a little more attention to asthetics around the stadium. I guess the new trailer will we be a mainstay until after the Dykhouse Center is complete as the coaches have vacated their offices in the HYPER and have no where else to go. Also have not seen any new Pictures on GOJACKS.COM of the Dykhouse Center in over a month.

Comment

On that same note: They've done some painting in Frost. The walls in the concourse now feature the muted, complementary light blue color that is prominent in the Wellness Center. Looks really nice.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

http://mypict.me/show.php?id=wZgk

TV picture from twitter of Dykhouse Center. Is it me or does the field look a little tough already. Who is responsible for the field? I know Brookings and Mitchell play there tonight.

Comment

That might just be the drainage gutter on the sideline that looks a bit rough. Some of the other pictures I had seen the field looked better than it has for a while. The HPER maintenance crew takes care of the field.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

The field is in excellent shape (or was a couple of days ago!). In fact, I think it looked better than I have ever seen it.

Comment

Went to the Bobcat game tonight. Here are a couple of pix from the stands. You can see that the window frames are going in, so windows can't be far behind. And the play clock is clearly visible. Also, from this angle, you can see there's plenty of territory between the goal post and the building.

Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Thanks JJ for the pix. The most interesting part for me was seeing that the west side brickwork is also finished. Know that was part of what the goal was before the first game at CAS. When the windows get in, it will really take on a nice exterior appearance from the west stands.

Comment

Working...
                                X