Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Georgia Southern

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    I would like to argue with you about that point. Dislike if too soft for me, I hate yote fans even more than I hate Red Sox fans. Way to irrational for me.
    We have had this discussion before. Let's pick it up again on Monday night at our meeting. For now, I need some healing.

Comment

Berry impressed me he put the ball where it should be a lot today a couple of dropped passes killed some drives in the first half and 2 fumbles for 6 didn't help matters. timely penalties killed us again. A roughing the punter, a hold late, lots of little things that just didn't go are way. I give the team credit I know of a lot of teams that would of folded it up at half but the Jacks didn't again though a game that we should of won which is hard to say because we were down 24 at the half. Now the conference games start so lets go out an win a conference title.

Comment

I hate the Jacks being the little brother that everyone rubs their head and says "wow, you were tough today" but I'm going to try to put a positive spin on this (because that's just what I do).

Truthfully, this team is miles ahead of where they were 3 years ago when we went down to GSU and got spanked hard.
        1.) There is depth at many positions where I would say our second and third teamers are as good as our starters three years ago.
        2.) This senior class is the last one recruited before the announcement to go D-I was made(exc Gentile & Pontrelli), many freshman and sophmores are seeing significant playing time.
        3.)This redshirting class was the first one coming in where we were up to 60 scholarships.
        4.) When construction starts in the north end zone that will help get the Jacks on a level playing field recruiting wise. Considering the athletes we have gotten without that imagine what can happen.

Are there coaching errors, sure - but break down any game from any team and you find coaching errors.

Fact of the matter is, right now we are lining up against anyone anywhere and are willing to stand there and smack them in the mouth. These players have become fixtures in elementary schools and hospitals in the area and are doing well in the classroom. They are representing us well.

This year has been tough so far, but I think the future is bright if we look at the big picture. Changes may be necessary someday, but I think we are three years away from worrying about that, as long as the team stays on the path that they are.

Ok, off my soapbox. Now time to go hit the bottle of Bacardi.

Have a good week everyone.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
          I hate the Jacks being the little brother that everyone rubs their head and says "wow, you were tough today"
          Didn't mean it that way. But i understand where you are coming from. I'm not a real believer in "moral victories" either.

Just curious: Any second guessing on some of your coach's calls?

Comment

What calls in particular? I think the calls were OK, we just seem doomed with turnovers and stupid penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by GSUisYourDad View Post
              I leave that stuff to the coaches themselves. They're their own toughest critics. I'm completely happy with our coaching staff, particularly Coach Stig, who is just a quality person in every sense of the word.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by GSUisYourDad View Post
                Didn't mean it that way. But i understand where you are coming from. I'm not a real believer in "moral victories" either.

The only call I think you can second guess is the pass play that had the int but I look at it and the receiver should of caught it or at least make sure that they didn't catch it.

Comment

Frankly, I'm tired of the "moral victories" and "near wins". We've established ourselves as a Division One program, we need to start playing up to it. And THAT means not letting a team get up on us 35-7 at halftime.

The Vikings had a great team patch one year "40 for 60" Forty guys giving it their all for 60 minutes, by staying focused, giving their all, and NOT making mistakes.

If we can go B@!!s to the wall for 60 minutes every time, there's no stopping us. We take a while to get "warmed up" and we're gonna get killed.

Sorry, but I'm a little frustrated. "Moral Victories" were nice the first few years... now we're ready for the real thing!
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                    Frankly, I'm tired of the "moral victories" and "near wins". We've established ourselves as a Division One program, we need to start playing up to it. And THAT means not letting a team get up on us 35-7 at halftime.

The Vikings had a great team patch one year "40 for 60" Forty guys giving it their all for 60 minutes, by staying focused, giving their all, and NOT making mistakes.

If we can go B@!!s to the wall for 60 minutes every time, there's no stopping us. We take a while to get "warmed up" and we're gonna get killed.

Sorry, but I'm a little frustrated. "Moral Victories" were nice the first few years... now we're ready for the real thing!
                    I could not agree more and I have posted that today on several occasions. We need WINS! and nothing less. We have proved we can play with the FCS teams and cannot continue to be bridesmaids. Tired of hearing from the opponents how good we are and still take the loss. We cannot afford to get down by two touchdowns or more and expect to come back and win. It used to be that we couldn't [lay a second half, but now we can. We just need to start at the first whistle.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                      I believe that is Erk Russell one of their original coaches and a legend in those parts
                      Erk founded the program. Quick history lesson, the program started in '82 as a club team. We started NCAA play in '84, won the I-AA title in '85 & '86, made it to the semi-Finals in '87 with a true-freshman QB. We lost to Furman in '88 in the Finals and in '89 became the first college team to go 15-0.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                        they're from the south. Give them a break
                        Hey now, I resemble that.

Comment

Originally posted by Killem View Post
                          Erk founded the program. Quick history lesson, the program started in '82 as a club team. We started NCAA play in '84, won the I-AA title in '85 & '86, made it to the semi-Finals in '87 with a true-freshman QB. We lost to Furman in '88 in the Finals and in '89 became the first college team to go 15-0.
                          A bronze bust of Erk Russell was recently unveiled at paulson. The team has started a new tradition of rubbing or head butting the facsimile of Erk's bald head as they run out on the field. We Georgia Southern alumni hold Erk's legacy near and dear. He, more than any other individual, has made this University the juggernaut that it is today; both in terms of football, and the greater impact on the southeast GA region.
                          Many of us alumni believe that the current administration runs away from Erk's legacy, and alientes some of the other founders.
                          Many of our traditions and rituals were Erk inspired or Erk-invented.
                          1. Th edrainage ditch known as beautiful Eagle Creek
                          2. GATA
                          3. "Just One More Time"
                          4. "The prettiest little stadium in America"
                          5. "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat. Cheating takes money, and we don't have any."

....that's just a few.
                          Erk was truly had a "presence" about him. When he was around, it was just electric. He was our Bear Bryant, our General Patton, our founding father. May he rest in peace. I know he is happy tonight, and sparking a stogie, wherever he is.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                            "Put an Eagle 6 on it" could be the most annoying thing I've heard since "Everyone up for another Thundering Herd kickoff" (or whatever the hell they say up at NDSU).
                            It was annoying last year, but that was the first year with this new radio crew. It's growing on me. I like it better now that 1) we're scoring more and 2) he is following the call up with "Touchdown, Georgia Southern!

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                              Why in hell has the GSU radio feed been running nothing but news and ads for the last fifteen minutes. Guess they pulled the plug. That's idiotic.
                              It might have been an issue with the network. The radio affiliate in Savannah went to Fox news.

Comment

"Put an Eagle 6 on it", is awesome.

For some reason, the network has been cutting the internet radio feed right after hatcher's post-game interview. I haven't heard a post-game show this whole season.
                                Today, they cut the video feed almost immediately after the clock expired, and I had to re-log in on the audio.......which proceeded to cut off 30 seconds later.
                                I agree that it is stupid.
                                But I have to say that Eagle Vision is exactly what I've been looking for since I graduated in 1996. After 11 years of buffering, poor connections, no connections, etc.,.........Eagle Vision is just a giant leap forward for the out-of-state Georgia Southern alumnus. My Marylander ass loves it.

www.opiegsu.blogspot.com
                                (post-game comments)

Comment

Working...
                                X