Georgia Southern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Georgia Southern

This is not the requisite, "your team is tough" line. I was extremely impressed with y'all. Lots of teams would have quit but your coaches made adjustments and the team responded. Yours might have been one of the best tackling teams I have ever seen. Nobody brings Foster down by himself and your defense shut him down. They also did a good job of forcing the run wide and the pursuit did an excellent job of catching up. Actually, we are not an option team anymore. Coach Hatcher's offense is a lot like Texas Tech's. He has enough sense to tailor his offense to his talent, unlike the idiot who coached, and almost wrecked the program last year.
    Both teams made lots of mistakes and both capitalized on the other's. Your QB was more than just solid, he was really good. The receivers did drop some passes but also made circus catches. This is just Georgia Southern of old, score lots of points, give up lots of points but the defense makes a big play to put us in position to win.

Best wishes to you the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
      I hate the Jacks being the little brother that everyone rubs their head and says "wow, you were tough today" but I'm going to try to put a positive spin on this (because that's just what I do).

Truthfully, this team is miles ahead of where they were 3 years ago when we went down to GSU and got spanked hard.
      1.) There is depth at many positions where I would say our second and third teamers are as good as our starters three years ago.
      2.) This senior class is the last one recruited before the announcement to go D-I was made(exc Gentile & Pontrelli), many freshman and sophmores are seeing significant playing time.
      3.)This redshirting class was the first one coming in where we were up to 60 scholarships.
      4.) When construction starts in the north end zone that will help get the Jacks on a level playing field recruiting wise. Considering the athletes we have gotten without that imagine what can happen.

Are there coaching errors, sure - but break down any game from any team and you find coaching errors.

Fact of the matter is, right now we are lining up against anyone anywhere and are willing to stand there and smack them in the mouth. These players have become fixtures in elementary schools and hospitals in the area and are doing well in the classroom. They are representing us well.

This year has been tough so far, but I think the future is bright if we look at the big picture. Changes may be necessary someday, but I think we are three years away from worrying about that, as long as the team stays on the path that they are.

Ok, off my soapbox. Now time to go hit the bottle of Bacardi.

Have a good week everyone.
      Nice post.

Tough loss, but man I can't believe where this program is at this fast. SDSU is arguably a top 30 team the last 3 years and should only get better given the situation. To expect much more is a bit much. A few ball bounces the other way and SDSU is 5-1 and ranked #15.

There are those that want more than "moral victories" I guess they haven't been at CAS the last two weeks and seen the blowouts they have been calling for against solid programs.

I'll equate it to the "real world" of business. Yes it's all about $$ (wins). But it's about how you do it that counts. They are showing that if you do it right it will happen and it is, it just takes time.

Do all coaches go out of their way to talk up the coaches and teams they play against like I hear every single week on their WNAX interview or should we all pay attention and realize what we have?

Comment

Is there a link to your coach's post-game press conference?

Comment

STATESBORO, Ga. – Jesse Hartley’s 54-yard field goal as time expired capped Georgia Southern’s thrilling 41-38 win over South Dakota State, Saturday afternoon (Oct. 6) at Paulson Stadium. Hartley set a record in the process.

Hartley’s kick was the longest ever by an Eagle to win a game on the final play. It marked the first time since Jonathan Dudley’s 24-yard FG that the Eagles (4-1 overall) won a game on the final play (overtime at Northeastern in 2005 season-opener). Hartley’s career-best 54-yarder was the longest since Chris Chambers nailed a 57-yard attempt at the end of the first half at Oregon State on September 18, 1999.

www.georgiasoutherneagles.com

Georgia Southern write up of game.

Comment

If we were ever prepared to play a tough team like Georgia Southern, we wouldn't have to try and come storming back like we have so often the past two seasons. Unfortunately, we rarely are. Consistancy is our downfall. It's hard not the look the way of the coaches. Beyond that, team speed is a place where we're always suspect. Always. In the Stig Era, stupid, stupid penalities have been another problem ... you saw that today. Y'all are simply a more complete team. Top-tier D-IAA team are. Which is why we're not one of them.

Originally posted by Killem View Post
            This is not the requisite, "your team is tough" line. I was extremely impressed with y'all. Lots of teams would have quit but your coaches made adjustments and the team responded. Yours might have been one of the best tackling teams I have ever seen. Nobody brings Foster down by himself and your defense shut him down. They also did a good job of forcing the run wide and the pursuit did an excellent job of catching up. Actually, we are not an option team anymore. Coach Hatcher's offense is a lot like Texas Tech's. He has enough sense to tailor his offense to his talent, unlike the idiot who coached, and almost wrecked the program last year.
            Both teams made lots of mistakes and both capitalized on the other's. Your QB was more than just solid, he was really good. The receivers did drop some passes but also made circus catches. This is just Georgia Southern of old, score lots of points, give up lots of points but the defense makes a big play to put us in position to win.

Best wishes to you the rest of the season.
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

We have to start coming into these games and taking control and not playing catch-up all the time. Although some of these games end up being exciting, you cannot bank on winning many of them. You cannot spot good teams a couple touchdowns and try and come back week after week. We also have to get over penalties, they are just killing us, especially on 3rd downs. Is it coaching? Who knows. Stig is a great guy and if I had a kid playing ball, there is no other coach I would like him to be with for 5 years than Stig. But, we need to show that we belong in the upper level of this division. This loss today really hurts. I thank all the players for giving it their all the second half.

Comment

Thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. We need to figure out a way to come out firing on all cylinders to start a game. You just can't spot an opposing team as good as Georgia Southern (or Youngstown, same scenario) bigtime points off of stupid plays at the beginning of games! When you have three fumbles and an INT in a game, you aren't going to win many ball games, especially when going against top opponents (and there you have it, my first definite captain obvious statement of the day).

I feel for the defense. They played like fricken studs today, and if given a better chance to win by not having to make up for critical turnovers on offense, we win that game. The offense did very good too, when they weren't giving up turnovers. We have to get that fixed. It needs to become a top priority for this coaching staff to get that through these guys heads. Don't ask me how to get it fixed, but it needs to be taken care of.

Looking at how this game went down, our guys need to take a good strong look at how stupid plays lose you the game, learn from this experience, and not let this hurt the cohesiveness of the team. This one is definitely a tough pill to swallow for them and hopefully we can move forward and focus on Cal Poly. Having next week off should do the guys some good, hopefully allowing them to get they're heads in the right spot and ready to go for upcoming conference play. I am still convinced that we are a strong contender for the conference title and could run the table to get us a chance to play NDSU for it come Nov 17. But only if we learn from this loss.

Comment

In all seriousness, it was indeed a great game that could've gone either way. But in truth, we (GSU) are not that good of a team. We aren't going anywhere this year.
                  We'll lose another 3 games at least. We still have Citadel, app state, wofford, furman, and I-A Colorado State to play. And quite frankly our defense, while they continue to incrementaly improve, they remain one of the worst GSU defenses that I've ever seen at Georgia Southern. (My connection to Georgia Southern dates back to 1992.)
                  I had predicted 6-5 for this team, but now I think 7-4. I think Superman, with the #4 on his chest, has 7 wins in his legs. (I think we'll get beat by Citadel, App,and Colo St.)
                  Having said that, I am optimistic. I am stoked at the development of the Hatch Attack thus far. Anyone who would be pissed at 7-4 this year is clueless. GSU will need some help, and some personal luck to make the field of 16 this year.
                  Props to SDSU.......opie, out.

www.opiegsu.blogspot.com

Comment

Very true, Opie. SDSU just showed our remaining opponents how to shut down the Hatch Attack (this incarnation ). SDSU hurt themselves with penalties and turnovers but defended well. Remember, the defense scored 14 points for us. I saw some improvement but we need to kick it up a notch. This is one of the few times our offensive line got absolutely blown up. The SDSU defensive line dominated .

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                      Consistancy is our downfall. It's hard not the look the way of the coaches.
                      It's fair to mention that our coaches have put together a very competitive team with one hand tied behind their backs. We're short on coaches (how many top teams in FCS have a Head Coach who is also a position coach by necessity and not by choice?) Our facilities aren't there yet (the north end zone building will make a huge difference... but it's not built yet.) This is our first year with 63 scholarships, meaning we're still undermanned... (as Stig has said, it takes a few years at the max to really create the depth you need.)

What I see is a program that reflects the good character of its coaches, but is still just a few plays or players short of being a nationally competitive team. Look at the trends, and they're all going in the right direction. Put the right pieces in place, and we'll be a top-25 program every year.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                        I don't think we deserved to win, but how many times is a team going to get 2 candy hop fumbles for touchdowns? I think GSU should thank the good lord before they go to bed tonight.

RabbitinTea:

Well, I could be wrong.. But, I don't think the "Good Lord" gives a poop who wins this football game. It would take a lot of suspense out of the game if the deity was favoring one side or the other doncha' think?

Respectfully I would suggest that our GSU Eagles were indeed extremely fortunate to win the game yesterday. The idea that our kicker would actually MAKE that 54 yard kick with 7 seconds remaining to win the game was as unlikely as the chances were that the Jacks fantastic kicker would miss a pouch kick as he did...

For some reason it seems some Jackrabbit fans think the Jack kicker is somehow at fault, or let them down by missing that last field goal attempt. Hey, apparently the guy has done wonders for the team all season, and what some folks might not understand, "good kicks are not automatic".. That's why we actually have kickers. If the kicks were automatic we could leave the kickers at home and make td's 7 points.

If I were a Jackrabbit fan, rather than just a Jackrabbit admirer I would suggest that some teams that are behind on the scoreboard at halftime to a tune of 31-7, with the opposing team getting the ball first in the 2nd half to boot might roll over and give up..

The Jacks had the guts and pride to come back from that 4 score deficit and not only almost won the game, but actually SHOULD have won the game. I'd be willing to bet your kicker would make that kick 9 times out of 10..

Any GSU fan that says he/she thought GSU would win that game after the Jacks fought back to a tie would be lying in his/her boots... No way.

Our kicker made the absolute best kick under pressure that I've personally ever seen him make. I am tremendously happy for him, and his confidence should be sky high now. I've heard he told the Coach to give him a shot at that kick and that he WOULD make it.. I guarantee you he was one of the few who thought that.

I've watched all three GSU-SDSU games and the last two have been barn-burners.. I think we play again, at your house, in two years and I surely hope Coach Chris Hatcher's "Hatch Attack" is clicking on all eight cylinders because I know your guy will be looking for revenge.

No Jack fan needs to think his/her team let them down.. The ball just bounced our way today (in the first half anyway), our Eagles were lucky to hold on by the tips of their fingers and eke out a win against a tremendous Jackrabbit team.. The difference at the end of the day was simply determined by one kicker who missed, and another kicker who didn't.

Best Wishes from this GSU homer..

J. Pomeroy

Comment

Originally posted by PX View Post
                          That's why we actually have kickers. If the kicks were automatic we could leave the kickers at home and make td's 7 points.
                          Well stated PX...Parker Douglas operates at 99% efficiency all season long, but he's human (much to the surprise of some of our fans). I'm thankful this morning, after finding out the score is still the same, for a great kicker, a great defensive line, a quarterback who dusted himself off after a really tough start as a starter and is doing very well now, and the whole team that invaded the tough territory of a top-25 program, and came within a whisker of a win, despite the setback of a number of mistakes (or bad calls) that would have quickly drowned a less-dedicated team. GO JACKS...let's get ready for the conference opener in two weeks!

Comment

One thing we all have glossed over also is that Jayson Foster overthrew at least 3 receivers that were wide open behind our defense.

What makes this game hard to swallow is seeing this team come back so valiantly when so many teams would have mailed it in. That is the same reason we all should be looking forward with pride. WE'VE got a good team here and that is to the credit of the coaching staff. I don't know how we can expect our coaches to prepare Chris Doblar, Kyle Minnette and Cory Koenig to not drop the ball when they get hit.

Parker Douglass makes that kick in his sleep 99.9% of the time. That's why we love him.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Terry V.'s fine write up of a tough to swallow game.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...31/1002/SPORTS

STATESBORO, Ga. - Once again, coach John Stiegelmeier was left to talk about his team's fiber. But this dose was tougher to swallow than most.

South Dakota State overcame a 24-point deficit in the second half only to squander an opportunity to take the lead with less than 3 minutes remaining and then lost on the last play of the game. Junior kicker Jesse Hartley's 54-yard field goal from the right hash cleared the cross bar as time expired, lifting Georgia Southern to a 41-38 victory against the Jackrabbits before a crowd of 15,912 on Saturday afternoon at Paulson Stadium. (more above)

Comment

Fortunately, the problems exhibited at the GSU game are those that can be remedied. A team can lessen and even eliminate errors. The loss at GSU hurts big time but it is still possible for this team to win the conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X