2024 Roster Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by westernjack View Post

There is zero chance grono is athletic enough to be a taysom hill type player in the nfl. His only chance is as qb.

As far as Grono transferring goes, if it is to get more nfl attention then it’s a poor decision in my opinion. If it’s education related, which it could 100% be as Northwestern is a phenomenal school, then I fully support and hope he does it
    Not sure what the basis for that assertion is, unless his durability would be a concern.

I hope he doesn't transfer because he seems to have exemplary character, leadership, and football acumen, but I have nothing but gratitude for his Jacks tenure and the fact I've been able to watch him play

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Not sure what the basis for that assertion is, unless his durability would be a concern.

I hope he doesn't transfer because he seems to have exemplary character, leadership, and football acumen, but I have nothing but gratitude for his Jacks tenure and the fact I've been able to watch him play
      You really think grono could line up at tight end or slot or running back in the nfl?? He’s a great qb but no where near what it takes to do those other positions

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post

You really think grono could line up at tight end or slot or running back in the nfl?? He’s a great qb but no where near what it takes to do those other positions
        I think he's a better passer than Hill, so I would hope OC's wouldn't hamstring that by using him at TE as frequently as Hill has been, but I also think that most people wouldn't have envisioned Hill's current utilization when he was drafted.

Comment

Trusted source. Lujan and Gronowski to Northwestern.

Chase Mason time. Let’s ride.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

I would hope neither would make the decision before the season is over and if they actually did, would not have shared it with anyone.

Comment

Grateful for the time both spent here, if this is true. Hopefully they both can go out as repeat champs.

Mason seems like an easy kid to root for, and it's not just that he's a fellow SD'an

Comment

i will be the first person to admit that i make plenty of mistakes and can definitely be wrong, but this just does not make sense.

there are rules here. a team can NOT talk to a player from another team UNLESS he has already entered the portal. Mark has definitely NOT entered the portal so i dont know how another school could be talking to him and coming to an agreement especially to the point where a trusted source would be telling people it is a DONE DEAL

and if this is the case then the school Northwestern should be in line for some punishment. that said, in the current transfer circumstances, the rules seem to be MAYBE guidelines at best and probably nobody is getting any negative consequences for openly trashing them. and i guess what you have left is that we are supposed to believe that a player who is known for his character who is part of a program that emphasizes character is supposedly going to a program that is supposedly willing to behave without ethics or character

i feel like the rebuttal to all of this would be that Lujan (and coaches) can talk to other schools whenever- no transfer rules for coaches. and if Zach is supposedly DONE DEAL OUTTA HERE, then people would say that Zach has talked to Mark. again Zach has proven to be a person of big time character and integrity. so are we really saying that in the middle of preparing for the biggest game that our OC is recruiting our QB to go to another school next year???? serious?? i gotta say no chance on that

soooo..... like i said maybe i am wrong!!!! but i have doubts about this being DONE. also still have doubts about Mark leaving, and like i said before, time will tell and i will believe it when i see it

Comment

True that the rules say players cannot be approached until they are in the portal, but you know how far the rules take you. Different sport I know, but Zeke Mayo said he had multiple expressions of interest to transfer and he never put his name in the portal - they approach through people close to them but not the player exactly.

So there would be no surprise in this situation with Lujan going to Northwestern that there would have been many ways to find out if Mark had an interest in transferring - "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more." We don't know the reality, but even if it was I give both credit that they worked through the final game and the Jackrabbits came out on top.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                    True that the rules say players cannot be approached until they are in the portal, but you know how far the rules take you. Different sport I know, but Zeke Mayo said he had multiple expressions of interest to transfer and he never put his name in the portal - they approach through people close to them but not the player exactly.

So there would be no surprise in this situation with Lujan going to Northwestern that there would have been many ways to find out if Mark had an interest in transferring - "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more." We don't know the reality, but even if it was I give both credit that they worked through the final game and the Jackrabbits came out on top.
                    I believe boosters can talk to players not in the portal using NIL deals, but coaches can’t.

Doesn’t matter anyways because the NCAA has next to no power anymore.

Comment

Pretty sure Grad Transfers don’t use the portal, and have different options for when they can complete the transfer. Heard somewhere that Mark completed his undergrad in Dec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                        Pretty sure Grad Transfers don’t use the portal, and have different options for when they can complete the transfer. Heard somewhere that Mark completed his undergrad in Dec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Aren't grad transfers only granted one additional year of eligibility, though? Mark would have two years left. There seemed to be a number of well placed sources confirming that Lujan and Gronowski were gone to NW. So far, Lujan hasn't been announced, although seemingly all but confirmed. Does Gronowski wait until Lujan is confirmed? I'm sure the delay in returning to Brookings for the team has pushed these things back, at least a day. Then again, watching the broadcast for the first time last night, maybe there's something to Gronowski replying "bring it back!". We'll know in about 48 hours or so.

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post

Pretty sure loopholes exist via contacts like HS coaches. Cole Wisniewski mentioned this on Hot Mic. Not saying it's right though

Comment

NCAA lays it out fairly clearly in this article and NCAA transfer guide. The transfer window for fall sports is a 30-day window after FBS conference championship games (Dec 4-Jan 2 this year), plus an additional 5-day window for teams participating in CFP, bowl games, or FCS championship after those contests. In addition, there is the 15-day window from May 1-15 each spring for the fall sport participants.

Graduate transfers are treated differently though, as they are not limited to the 30+5 and 15 day portals, as long as they did complete an undergraduate degree. It appears in the link above first time grad transfers do need to notify by May 1 to not be penalized though. I believe out-of-window portal jumps for undergrads (outside of the 30+5 and 15) or late grad jumps (after May 1) would result in having to sit out a year. There doesn't appear to be any limit on grad transfers to only 1-year left, as another document declares you have to have at least 1-year eligibility remaining. That seems like just a carryover observation from traditional days before they handed out eligibility like candy on Halloween.

I believe Mark is graduating in May 2024, though it would certainly be possible for someone of his caliber to complete the BS in Mechanical Engineering degree in 3 1/2 years. Regardless, if May is the plan for graduation, and IF he is planning a change in schools/teams... he would have until May 1 to announce such intentions with the completion of an undergrad degree a couple weeks later.

All that to be said... if you're holding your breath for the next couple days waiting for a potential announcement from Mark... you might as well stop... unless you're good at holding your breath for more than 3 1/2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
                              NCAA lays it out fairly clearly in this article and NCAA transfer guide. The transfer window for fall sports is a 30-day window after FBS conference championship games (Dec 4-Jan 2 this year), plus an additional 5-day window for teams participating in CFP, bowl games, or FCS championship after those contests. In addition, there is the 15-day window from May 1-15 each spring for the fall sport participants.

Graduate transfers are treated differently though, as they are not limited to the 30+5 and 15 day portals, as long as they did complete an undergraduate degree. It appears in the link above first time grad transfers do need to notify by May 1 to not be penalized though. I believe out-of-window portal jumps for undergrads (outside of the 30+5 and 15) or late grad jumps (after May 1) would result in having to sit out a year. There doesn't appear to be any limit on grad transfers to only 1-year left, as another document declares you have to have at least 1-year eligibility remaining. That seems like just a carryover observation from traditional days before they handed out eligibility like candy on Halloween.

I believe Mark is graduating in May 2024, though it would certainly be possible for someone of his caliber to complete the BS in Mechanical Engineering degree in 3 1/2 years. Regardless, if May is the plan for graduation, and IF he is planning a change in schools/teams... he would have until May 1 to announce such intentions with the completion of an undergrad degree a couple weeks later.

All that to be said... if you're holding your breath for the next couple days waiting for a potential announcement from Mark... you might as well stop... unless you're good at holding your breath for more than 3 1/2 months.
                              Thanks for the research. While Mark might want or need to graduate from SDSU, from a football standpoint, one would think he'd want to participate in spring ball with his new team. That would require a portal entry now.

Maybe the bigger tell will be if Chase Mason or John Bell enter the portal. If Mark sticks around, these guys are burning up a lot of eligibility with the only hope of seeing the field coming in garbage time or injury. Particularly for Bell, being third string already, another year of Gronowski means he's sitting behind two guys with at least two years eligibility left.

Chase is listed as a sophomore. He missed the entire 22 season to injury burning his redshirt. This should have been year one with three remaining.

Comment

Scuttlebutt on the Northwestern forum is that NU is not in Gronowski's plans.

Comment

Working...
                                X