2024 Roster Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    The roster is going to be good. Just wait. Probably not '20 points better than every other squad' but very good.

Lujan SHOULD be on the top of many schools lists. He has been phenomenal. Better than I could have hoped for. If he gets the right offer and leaves, more power to him. I want him to go on and continue being successful. Dude is a class act. Remember he lost his starting spot to TC, stayed on the team...supported TC, then came back and was a coach. Started as the RB coach, remember that!

I agree I don't think Jimmy is leaving anytime soon. However, it could happen. We'll have to see what happens down the road.

If Mark G decides to leave, it will be sad, and I don't want that to happen, but how can you do ANYTHING except cheer for the guy. He has given us four great years. If he has a chance to improve his draft prospects, he's probably got to look into it?

We're not going to fade away next season. Stig didn't build a 1 year team (obviously), he built a PROGRAM. The Program will continue to be quality.
    Well said! Agreed on all counts.

Comment

If a Lujan to Northwestern rumor is true, can't fault him one bit. 20 something years old and making probably close to $1,000,000? 5 years ago he was probably making $35,000. Worst case scenario is he fails at the FBS OC level, goes back to a position coach or lower level coordinator, and gets another shot when he's 40. Best case scenario is he improves and goes to a better P5 school and eventually enters the HC ranks.

If Gronowski would happen to follow him to Northwestern, can't fault him one bit. In 3 years as a starter and 4 years in school he has accomplished all there is to accomplish. Multiple national FCS awards, championship game(s), and an engineering degree. Why not go to Northwestern and get a Masters Degree, prove to the NFL that you can compete against higher competition, and probably get some NIL money along the way; along with returning to your home area. Honestly, I would say, "Good for him, I hopes he does it." If he were in his first year here and some success and then left for a P5 school, then I might be a little ticked... but the guy has literally accomplished all there is to accomplish at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
        If a Lujan to Northwestern rumor is true, can't fault him one bit. 20 something years old and making probably close to $1,000,000? 5 years ago he was probably making $35,000. Worst case scenario is he fails at the FBS OC level, goes back to a position coach or lower level coordinator, and gets another shot when he's 40. Best case scenario is he improves and goes to a better P5 school and eventually enters the HC ranks.

If Gronowski would happen to follow him to Northwestern, can't fault him one bit. In 3 years as a starter and 4 years in school he has accomplished all there is to accomplish. Multiple national FCS awards, championship game(s), and an engineering degree. Why not go to Northwestern and get a Masters Degree, prove to the NFL that you can compete against higher competition, and probably get some NIL money along the way; along with returning to your home area. Honestly, I would say, "Good for him, I hopes he does it." If he were in his first year here and some success and then left for a P5 school, then I might be a little ticked... but the guy has literally accomplished all there is to accomplish at SDSU.
        Agree with all of this.

The upshot of all of this is that our program is in the enviable position of having to worry about losing talent and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post

seems to me this type of thinking is pretty outdated when you consider how many players are drafted out of the MVFC and FCS in general on an annual basis. and QB specifically we have had two QB from the MVFC drafted in the top 3 picks of the draft. so saying someone NEEDS to go to an FBS school to prove themselves is exactly that BS

if he wants to go because they are offering money that is meaningful or he wants to get closer to his family or honestly whatever reason he wants, that is his choice to make. if i like that or not really does not matter it is his choice to make and i respect that, but saying someone needs to go to prove they can play in the nfl is not honest

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

seems to me this type of thinking is pretty outdated when you consider how many players are drafted out of the MVFC and FCS in general on an annual basis. and QB specifically we have had two QB from the MVFC drafted in the top 3 picks of the draft. so saying someone NEEDS to go to an FBS school to prove themselves is exactly that BS

if he wants to go because they are offering money that is meaningful or he wants to get closer to his family or honestly whatever reason he wants, that is his choice to make. if i like that or not really does not matter it is his choice to make and i respect that, but saying someone needs to go to prove they can play in the nfl is not honest
            So you don't think any FCS players draft stock has dropped because they played in the FCS vs the BIG10/SEC/etc? If Tucker Kraft had the exact same stats playing for Northwestern as he did for SDSU, do you think he would have been drafted higher?
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post

So you don't think any FCS players draft stock has dropped because they played in the FCS vs the BIG10/SEC/etc? If Tucker Kraft had the exact same stats playing for Northwestern as he did for SDSU, do you think he would have been drafted higher?
              Northwestern is an interesting team to mention, as they're not typically known as a TE pipeline, but if the Gophers, Hawkeyes, or Nittany Lions were Kraft's other options, I can definitely see your point.

Having said that, my perspective differs from LGR's regarding QBs, as Wentz's and Lance's NFL sojourns may have scouts and execs leery of drafting another Valley QB.
              Last edited by jakejc795; 01-05-2024, 06:20 PM.

Comment

‘I had a long discussion with a recruiting coordinator at a Power 5 school about this topic. In todays world, NFL scouts make decisions based upon on field results. If you can play at a MVFC school and get more snaps or balls thrown to you than if you would at a Power 5 school, especially one outside the traditional “blue bloods” then it’s to the players advantage to play at the FCS level. There simply isn’t the gap in talent like there used to be.

I think I could safely build an argument that your team this year would’ve contended for the top in the Big Ten west. This years USD and NDSU’s squad could’ve won 1 or 2 games in the west. I think SDSU could’ve won up to 4 against teams in the west, especially if half the games would be played in Brookings.

I believe LetsGoRabbits is correct in his analogy. Times have changed. From your school in recent years, look at Dallas Goedert. He’s a big time player in the NFL and I think it enhanced his chances of being drafted and succeeding by playing at SDSU. I do know NFL scouts are not going to discount an FCS stud just because he’s FCS. The Coyotes have a former player, Jack Cochrane, playing for the KC Chiefs. He beat out a linebacker from Iowa State that was drafted ahead of him. And that guy was an All-Conference performer.

Congrats on your season. I think the most impressive thing about it was other than Southern Illinois, no one gave you a game. That’s truly impressive not to have 2-4 let down games.

Comment

dont you think it seems a little silly saying that he could have had the exact same stats playing against michigan and ohio state as he had playing against uni and usd? my point is that the MVFC has proven without question to be good enough and the nfl can judge the ability of the players and assess where they should be drafted. NFL talent evaluators do not need every player to play in the P5 in order for them to be able to tell if they are NFL worthy

i said nothing about draft position and i VERY CLEARLY never said anything about putting up the exact same stats

i guess calling it BS maybe seemed aggressive. sorry MNjackrabbit. i have absolutely zero issue with you having an opinion or the way you express it!!! simply i very much disagree with the thought that kids need to go FBS for the nfl to see if they are nfl worthy. i had ZERO intent to go after you personally and i hope you did not think that. i was strictly making a strong (perhaps in some views, too aggressive) counter to your point
                  Last edited by LetsGoRabbits; 01-05-2024, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks, YF. You make several good points.
                    I think an argument could be made that more often than not, transferring from a good FCS team to an FBS team could hurt a player's draft potential. The biggest plus in such transfers might be the possibility of a player making short-term NIL money.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Northwestern is an interesting team to mention, as they're not typically known as a TE pipeline, but if the Gophers, Hawkeyes, or Nittany Lions were Kraft's other options, I can definitely see your point.

Having said that, my perspective differs from LGR's regarding QBs, as Went's and Lance's NFL sojourns may have scouts and execs leery of drafting another Valley QB.
                      well sir i did consider the same exact point you are making as i wrote my response

Wents maybe people have forgotten was the probable MVP before he got injured along Philly's path to the superbowl. i believe the consensus on Carson is that for whatever reason he has never been the same after that injury. so i am not sure that Carson is a deterrent.

as far as Lance, i would guess that teams chalk that up to the fact that he played only one season of college football and everything was a bit out of whack because of covid. i would agree that the nfl would understandably be hesitant to draft another FCS QB with only one year of experience as a top 3 or maybe even as a top 20-25 pick

at the same time i can also point to MANY MANY MANY FBS QBs taken very high, even #1, who have been terrible busts! so i think the NFL also realizes that drafting is an inexact science and i still do not believe that they think EVERY kid needs to go to FBS no matter what position and they can make misses just as easily on kids from every level

i have no intention of trying to do the research but i feel like the ratio of FCS players who are actual players and also the ratio of stars to those who are drafted might actually be pretty high. perhaps higher than those from FBS

off top of my head there are some pretty compelling cases for the nfl being more than able to recognize talent outside the big schools
                      Walter Payton
                      Jerry Rice
                      Kooper Kupp
                      Steve Mc Nair
                      Doug Williams
                      Randy Moss

i have no doubt i could go on but 3 inner circle HOF, all HOF and one current player who probably is on that path. anyway, the nfl knows beyond any doubt that they do not need to restrict their drafting circle to only FBS players

and if someone looks at my original comment that is all i said. i never said a word about putting up exact stats against big 10 schools. i never said a word about draft position. the comment was made going to a bigger school to prove to the nfl that a player can play against better competition- assuming that means nfl level competition? maybe i should not assume
                      my counter is that the nfl has long proven they do not need players to prove it against bigger conference competition. i totally believe that thought process is false and that is the point i made

Comment

So if a player is killing it in the MVFC, some of you don't think he can improve his stock if he goes to the BIG10 and does the exact same thing? Instead of kicking the $hit out of Indiana State he is doing it against Ohio State. That makes no difference in your book?
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

So if a player is killing it in the MVFC, some of you don't think he can improve his stock if he goes to the BIG10 and does the exact same thing? Instead of kicking the $hit out of Indiana State he is doing it against Ohio State. That makes no difference in your book?
                          just want to be sure that you are really saying that Kraft or Gronowski would put up exactly the same stats regardless of playing indiana state or ohio state

my point is that the talent evaluators for the NFL are the best in the world and even then it is still an inexact science but they are the best. they are able to see talent and they do not have to see everyone play at a P5 school in order to do it

Comment

Obviously it can improve their stock, but the NFL will find them if they’re good enough regardless of where they play. Trey Lance went at pick #3 in 2021 despite only playing one full season at NDSU purely because of his raw talent, and how teams thought they could develop him. Obviously it didn’t work out but the point stands that the NFL is not afraid of getting guys who played in the lower levels.

NIL is the reason why guys will transfer. If your someone like Gronowski who may not have great odds at the NFL, why not cash out now for as much as you can?

Comment

well sir i did consider the same exact point you are making as i wrote my response

Wents maybe people have forgotten was the probable MVP before he got injured along Philly's path to the superbowl. i believe the consensus on Carson is that for whatever reason he has never been the same after that injury. so i am not sure that Carson is a deterrent.

as far as Lance, i would guess that teams chalk that up to the fact that he played only one season of college football and everything was a bit out of whack because of covid. i would agree that the nfl would understandably be hesitant to draft another FCS QB with only one year of experience as a top 3 or maybe even as a top 20-25 pick

at the same time i can also point to MANY MANY MANY FBS QBs taken very high, even #1, who have been terrible busts! so i think the NFL also realizes that drafting is an inexact science and i still do not believe that they think EVERY kid needs to go to FBS no matter what position and they can make misses just as easily on kids from every level

i have no intention of trying to do the research but i feel like the ratio of FCS players who are actual players and also the ratio of stars to those who are drafted might actually be pretty high. perhaps higher than those from FBS

off top of my head there are some pretty compelling cases for the nfl being more than able to recognize talent outside the big schools
                              Walter Payton
                              Jerry Rice
                              Kooper Kupp
                              Steve Mc Nair
                              Doug Williams
                              Randy Moss

i have no doubt i could go on but 3 inner circle HOF, all HOF and one current player who probably is on that path. anyway, the nfl knows beyond any doubt that they do not need to restrict their drafting circle to only FBS players

and if someone looks at my original comment that is all i said. i never said a word about putting up exact stats against big 10 schools. i never said a word about draft position. the comment was made going to a bigger school to prove to the nfl that a player can play against better competition- assuming that means nfl level competition? maybe i should not assume
                              my counter is that the nfl has long proven they do not need players to prove it against bigger conference competition. i totally believe that thought process is false and that is the point i made
                              Suffice it to say that I agree with your sentiment; however, I wonder if QB might be viewed as an exception. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, and I'd love to see Gronowski return for what we all hope is a three-peat next season.

I also wonder if a team drafting Gronowski would envision him fulfilling a Taysom Hill-type role in their offense

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Suffice it to say that I agree with your sentiment; however, I wonder if QB might be viewed as an exception. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, and I'd love to see Gronowski return for what we all hope is a three-peat next season.

I also wonder if a team drafting Gronowski would envision him fulfilling a Taysom Hill-type role in their offense
                                There is zero chance grono is athletic enough to be a taysom hill type player in the nfl. His only chance is as qb.

As far as Grono transferring goes, if it is to get more nfl attention then it’s a poor decision in my opinion. If it’s education related, which it could 100% be as Northwestern is a phenomenal school, then I fully support and hope he does it

Comment

Working...
                                X