2024 Roster Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post
    Wonder what the coaching staff will look like…. Zach Lujan rumors are floating around (Northwestern), wonder how many players would follow
    I just saw that article. What is more disturbing is another rumor I heard about Gronowski potentially going back home to Northwestern. I initially blew it off, but the Lujan connection makes me a little uneasy.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post

I just saw that article. What is more disturbing is another rumor I heard about Gronowski potentially going back home to Northwestern. I initially blew it off, but the Lujan connection makes me a little uneasy.
      I was hoping Roehl (and Miller or Payton) would head to Northwestern, but now that the portal's "closed" for them, it increases my angst about those same rumors.

Comment

Whether true or not, this is the kind of crap that can cause distractions for a team. Especially when they involve a coordinator and your QB/team leader.

Comment

Lujan is a short timer here for sure. He’s headed for big things. Except for one or two discontents during the Iowa game (ha!) the fan forum has not even been able to start complaining about him. That says a lot!

Interesting question: Does Josh Davis get a call? Would he answer?

There will likely be players moving too. For some interesting insight on the NIL topic, listen to Dom Izzy’s interview with Cole Wisniewski (yesterday on Hot Mike). The same safety-shoppers that were after him are likely circling our young superstar. He hints at what the Bison are trying to do financially for their players too.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Whether true or not, this is the kind of crap that can cause distractions for a team. Especially when they involve a coordinator and your QB/team leader.
            I can't help but think this was a purposefully timed leak and if it is, it is B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              Lujan is a short timer here for sure. He’s headed for big things. Except for one or two discontents during the Iowa game (ha!) the fan forum has not even been able to start complaining about him. That says a lot!

Interesting question: Does Josh Davis get a call? Would he answer?

There will likely be players moving too. For some interesting insight on the NIL topic, listen to Dom Izzy’s interview with Cole Wisniewski (yesterday on Hot Mike). The same safety-shoppers that were after him are likely circling our young superstar. He hints at what the Bison are trying to do financially for their players too.
              I'm trying to enjoy championship week but it's hard not to wonder about the future. The same thought about Josh Davis entered my mind.

Comment

First, I'm going to delude myself into thinking that Braun still harbors Ungulatory allegiances, doesn't want the Jacks to repeat, and is attempting to harbor chaos in Frisco.

Then, I'm going to "eat my feelings" with some Italian Nachos from Cubby's and a yet to be determined container of SDSU ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  Lujan Criticism: I think he was too conservative in the first half of the Nova game. The wind was a problem, but he let it make the O predictable. And this was apparent part way through the first quarter. Fear of a mistake or turnover turns into playing not to lose rather than to win. Why did it take until halftime for adjustments? That half of football stands out as some of the poorest offensive production all season.

To be fair, the half time adjustments were excellent. From the 2nd half kickoff, Nova struggled stopping the offense for the rest of the game.

If Lujan get a payday, I'm happy for him. But this is an unwanted distraction.

Comment

Let’s just win the game on Sunday first, and worry about the coaching changes and transfers after.

But if we do win on Sunday and Lujan and Gronowski decide to leave I will not blame them and will be incredibly grateful for the success they’ve given us. As long as we keep Chase Mason I can cope with Gronowski leaving.

Comment

I also saw on Reddit someone posted a rumor that Rogers was thought to be taking the Minnesota DC job, which I think is 100% false for obvious reasons.

Comment

well time will tell if i am wrong, but i strongly doubt that Grono goes anywhere after this season and i believe that Jimmy is planning to stay in brookings in very much the same way that Stig never wanted to leave brookings

obviously we have had LOTS of assistants leave and i will not be surprised either way if Lujan goes or stays. i can see it both ways, but i believe part of the reason that Jimmy was Stig's hand picked successor is that he has the same love and loyalty to SDSU that Stig had and he is not just looking for a bigger payday. He is coaching at THE SCHOOL that he wants to be at.

i also believe this is a factor in why the jacks have lost way fewer players than most other schools. when Stig and now Jimmy recruit, they did not talk about ONLY what a kid is gonna get. YES they say the expectation is the kid will become a better person, he WILL get an education, and be the best player he can be, BUT they also talk about being a part of something that is bigger than 4 years (or 5 or 6 or 2 or 3) i cannot say it for sure but i am pretty certain that Stig and Jimmy promise kids that they will be there when the kid finishes cuz they dont want to be anywhere else

again maybe you all are right?? maybe in a short time i will be proven full of crap, but i do not think Jimmy wants to go anywhere other than where he is. i think everyone knows for a fact that Stig said he was never leaving. and in the current world of NIL and unlimited, no penalty transfers that is why we have seen a lot of kids leave fargo and very few leave the Jacks. Bison players dont have to look too far to see 2 HC and now a third, who did not believe that Fargo was the place that they wanted to stay for the rest of their career, whereas Stig and Jimmy see SDSU as their dream job and they are not looking get a better offer. they are totally committed to continuing to build and making the school and program they love better every day

as far as Grono, i think he is gonna want to stay and prove that this program is more than the great group that is leaving. i believe he has every intention of winning a third trophy next year. i could see him leaving for a one year deal at a bigger school or just going to the draft with a year of eligibility left a year from now, but i believe he believes he is responsible to help the next group get their feet on the ground and keep the Jacks at the top despite everyone who moves on

again, i have no inside info on this, and maybe i am gonna look like a knucklehead, more than normal, in a short time, but none of the kids on this roster were recruited to come here just to GET something from the school and the program. they were told that the school, the coaches, the community would make an investment in them and they were EXPECTED to make an investment back and that basically they would be part of a family for life (if the word family was / is not used then whatever word) do you really think Grono is gonna watch jaden and jaxon and zach and garret and mason come back for a year to help him get to frisco again and then turn around and turn his back on the group that will stay when he could help them go after another one?? just dont think from everything we know about Mark that, that is who he is or what he is about

i think the rumors are from everyone else that hope and want to believe that SDSU is gonna stop having players stay and gonna start having the same transfer challenges that most other schools have

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFan80 View Post
                          I also saw on Reddit someone posted a rumor that Rogers was thought to be taking the Minnesota DC job, which I think is 100% false for obvious reasons.
                          I am not saying that Jimmy will be a lifer at SDSU, but I would be shocked if he would leave for a coordinator's job at Minnesota, and have to buy into all the hype and bull**** that is PJ Fleck.

Comment

Good for Lujan if he gets a payday. Coaching is a brutal job. If you get a chance to climb and/or build your resume in the BIG10 then you have to take it. I would rather Mark G not go with him, but really Gronowski has been here for 4 years. He's led us to three National Championship games, probably would have been 4 if he didn't get hurt in the first one. I assume he is either done with his Mechanical Engineering degree or close to it. If he decides to test the waters in the big10, further his education at a really good school, probably make some $$$ and perhaps increase his draft stock I say more power to him. Pre-covid he would have met what were considered his obligations to the university and he did an incredible job. After the game on Sunday I wish him well if he leaves and say **** yea! if he stays. I just hope nobody else follows on the way out.

Is there a collective at all that could be utilized to help keep some of the talent in house?
                            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I am not saying that Jimmy will be a lifer at SDSU, but I would be shocked if he would leave for a coordinator's job at Minnesota, and have to buy into all the hype and bull**** that is PJ Fleck.
                              obviously i did not comment about the minnesota thing
                              because it is just too stupid to respond to
                              WHY would Jimmy see former Bison coaches go straight from NDSU to FBS HC jobs and he would leave for a DC job??? just completely stupid and unworthy of comment
                              AND... i very much believe Jimmy is in brookings for something in the neighborhood of 20 years or more.... biggest challenge to that is the ncaa just completely ruining sports all together

there are people in the world who do not see money or chasing the next big thing as the ultimate goal in life. there are people who are able to recognize that they are happy with what they have and that chasing after MORE can be a recipe for finding less. and that obviously and totally does not mean putting your feet up and being lazy. does ANYONE see Jimmy getting / being lazy? no chance

just saying i do not see Jimmy interested in chasing after more and the next big thing out "there" he is gonna keep charging full steam to make more happen where his feet are already planted. i believe he wants to keep growing the tradition the history and the expectations of what SDSU football and SDSU in general can be

Comment

The roster is going to be good. Just wait. Probably not '20 points better than every other squad' but very good.

Lujan SHOULD be on the top of many schools lists. He has been phenomenal. Better than I could have hoped for. If he gets the right offer and leaves, more power to him. I want him to go on and continue being successful. Dude is a class act. Remember he lost his starting spot to TC, stayed on the team...supported TC, then came back and was a coach. Started as the RB coach, remember that!

I agree I don't think Jimmy is leaving anytime soon. However, it could happen. We'll have to see what happens down the road.

If Mark G decides to leave, it will be sad, and I don't want that to happen, but how can you do ANYTHING except cheer for the guy. He has given us four great years. If he has a chance to improve his draft prospects, he's probably got to look into it?

We're not going to fade away next season. Stig didn't build a 1 year team (obviously), he built a PROGRAM. The Program will continue to be quality.

Comment

Working...
                                X