2024 Roster Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Roster Discussion

I know the coaches, team and fans are focused on closing out this season with a Natty, but I couldn't help my mind from wondering to what next year could look like. Yes, we lose a lot of experienced starters but we also have good depth coming back at most positions.

With COVID years it can be hard to know where eligibility stands so correct me if I have any of these wrong.

QB:
    SR, Mark Gronowksi (IL)
    • Would SDSU be on track for our 4th Natty if Mark doesn't get hurt against Sam Houston? A big 'what if' as I believe we'd have won in '20 and you can debate the '21 roster was stronger than the '22 team that won it
    • We return our current 2nd and 3rd string QBs in Chase Mason (JR) and Jon Bell (JR)
    • Mason has Power-5 athleticism and size but its a bit unknown if he has the passing chops and decision making to be top tier FCS Starting QB
    • I'm interested in seeing if Jeff Becker can challenge for the 3rd QB spot - I really loved his HS film as a dual-threat QB
    • Does anyone know what happened to the QB recruit out of TX that signed last year? He didn't end up joining the team for some reason.
    RB:
    SR, Amar Johnson (MO)
    • While I see Amar as a shade below Playoff Zay, he is still a top-tier FCS running back and should be ready to show the nation
    • Angel Johnson has 2nd string on lockdown after showing this year that he is more than an elite athlete
    • Angel's burst stands out compared to FCS players. He looks like he's playing against a lower division when he gets the ball. I'm curious to see if he can be an every down back who can run inside.
    • I had high hopes for heavily recruited backup Derrick Johnson but see that he's no longer on the roster
    • I'm curious if we go to the portal to get that 220 lb thumper that isn't currently on the roster?
    WR:
    SO, Griffin Wilde (SD, Jefferson), SO Grahm Goering (IA), SR Marcus Preston (KS)(UND)
    • Griffin balled-out as a true frosh but will need to take his game up another level to ensure we don't see too much drop off from losing the Janke twins
    • The rest of the WR crew either seems average for MVFC or unknown
    • Marcus Preston should be dependable and has been pumped up for his downfield blocking and being a team player
    • Devon Cole will be a SR and has flashed a bit as a slot/gadget player
    • I'm really interested in seeing Elijah Ervin (JUCO) and Ky Oday (Colorado St) considering they transferred in this year but didn't play. Was that intentional to save a year of eligibility or are they down that far on the depth chart?
    TE:
    SO, David Alpers (SD, O'Gorman)
    • Similar to WR, we have an unknown status due to Kraft and Heins keeping the position on lockdown the past few years
    • This is TE-U though so I expect the tradition to continue
    • Coaches have spoken highly of next year's Sophomore class and have signaled out Alpers as the most balanced between himself, Gormley and Gannon
    • Behind the Sophomores are a pair of Redshirt Freshman who could push for time with Joey Neumann standing out due to how heavily he was recruited
    • I wouldn't be surprised if we add a veteran TE here via the portal for insurance. Maybe at least a big body TE to help with blocking
    • A little disappointing we didn't get more game reps for the younger group this season considering how easily we were beating teams
    TE (FB):
    SR, Kevin Brenner (WI)
    • No concerns with Brenner taking Mike Morgan's snaps. What a great move to transition him from DE last year
    • I don't see an obvious backup currently on the roster which leads me to believe we get someone from the portal
    OL Tackles:
    SR, Marcus Hicks (KS)(Oklahoma)
    SO, Dawson Rudd (OK)
    • I think there's potential Bo Donald has eligibility for next year and if so would be in contention to start
    • SR Colby Christensen should also be in consideration after starting a handful of games and playing decent last year
    • The team is high on SO Quinten Christensen and I can see him starting at Tackle or Guard
    OL Guards:
    SR, Evan Beerntsen (WI)
    SO, Quentin Christensen (SD, Wessington)
    • True Freshman William Paepke is on the 2-deep today and has really impressed coaches. Rare to see young lineman make that big of an impression.
    • SR Jalen Lee is a run blocking mauler and could challenge for a spot or earn playing time
    • Q Christensen is the next big OL stud for SDSU - McCormick 2.0
    OL Center:
    SR, Gus Miller (SD, Brookings)
    • A player to be concerned about being poached with NIL $
    • Always hard to identify who the next center will be. The depth chart has SR Ethan Viberg who does have a COVID year left if he takes it
    Defense:

DE:

SR Zac Wilson (FL)
    SR Blake Peterson (SD, Beresford)
    • Similar to WR and TE, this this a position group that loses some long standing names in Hicks, Terveer and Caden Johnson
    • Blake Peterson has a lot of expectation coming from Iowa St, but has missed most of this season due to a lower leg injury
    • Zac Wilson finally getting reps this season and has flashed at times. Has a great frame for an FCS DE.
    • Beyond these two, there is a group that has little playing time to make much judgement on:
      • SR Randy Keumogne has a year of eligibility left and while he has great burst, he's rarely played due to injuries and being buried on depth chart filled with upper classmen. Has started to play some lately.
      • SO Dawson Ripperda transferred in this year from Northern Illinois and has a good frame and athleticism. Played more earlier in the season.
      • JR Levi Vanden Bos has played some in mop-up time and has always looked solid
      • RFR Reis Kirschenman has been named dropped by Coach Rogers as having had potential to play as a true freshman due his ability to rush the passer
    DT:
    SR Jarod DePriest (IL)
    SR Max Baloun (SD, Redfield)
    • Returning two players with great size and who've earned their stripes over the past few seasons.
    • The 2nd hockey line by my guess would be Wolfcale-Holsten (JR) and Logan Green (SO). AWH has flashed this year and I'm excited to see him get more time. Logan Green has also been pumped up by coaches since joining last year.
    • The 3rd hockey line would leave SO Jace Sifore and RFR Bryce Hawthorne who both should be capable and will press the group above them for playing time
    • While I don't anticipate much drop-off, the Chain Gang is starting to thin out compared to how much upper classmen experience we've had here in the past few seasons. Still plenty of talent though, just younger.
    LB:
    SR Adam Bock (IA)

SR Caleb Francl (NE)
    SR Graham Spalding (FL)
    • All three returners have starting experience led by Adam Bock who is elite and hopefully back to full strength next season and ready to make his case to NFL scouts.
    • Mcgaughy is also back and can be considered interchangeable with Francl
    • The rest of the backers will be newer faces with the Kusler twins (SR) getting more time and a bevy of good, young backers led by Cullen McShane (SO) and Bryce Johnson (SO)
    • I will definitely miss seeing Jason Freeman lay the wood though. I don't think I've ever seen an SDSU player as strong at the point of attack as Freeman. A RB can hit him full speed and it looks like they hit a brick wall. One of the great gems and thankful he found SDSU.
    CB:
    SR Dallys Beanum (NE)

SR Steven Arrell (MN)
    • Good experience in the starting group with newly added transfer portal signee Colby Humphrey potentially pushing to start
    • Behind the seniors are a group that has been getting game action lately due to Arrell's injury and have held their own (Myles Taylor (JR), Jalen Lee (SO) & Aydan Dauterman(JR))
    • Jalen Lee reminds me of Don Gardner and Gales with his willingness to come downhill and tackle
    S:
    SR Cale Reeder (IL)

JR Tucker Large (SD, Roosevelt)
    • Love the Tucker Large story and how he plays - a bit concerned that this is another player P5 teams might target considering he's a threat in the return game as well
    • SR Colby Huerter, JR Matthew Durrance and SO Dontay Johnson could all be listed as a starter and have a bevy of game reps. A very deep position group.
    Specials: (All back Next Season)

LS:
    JR Kaden Olivia (TX) -
    Coach Rogers has said he's one of the best to ever do it at SDSU
    P:
    SR Hunter Dustman (MN)

PK:
    SR Hunter Dustman (MN)

Well done! Lots to build on for next year!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
      I know the coaches, team and fans are focused on closing out this season with a Natty, but I couldn't help my mind from wondering to what next year could look like. Yes, we lose a lot of experienced starters but we also have good depth coming back at most positions.

With COVID years it can be hard to know where eligibility stands so correct me if I have any of these wrong.

QB:
      SR, Mark Gronowksi (IL)
      • Would SDSU be on track for our 4th Natty if Mark doesn't get hurt against Sam Houston? A big 'what if' as I believe we'd have won in '20 and you can debate the '21 roster was stronger than the '22 team that won it
      • We return our current 2nd and 3rd string QBs in Chase Mason (JR) and Jon Bell (JR)
      • Mason has Power-5 athleticism and size but its a bit unknown if he has the passing chops and decision making to be top tier FCS Starting QB
      • I'm interested in seeing if Jeff Becker can challenge for the 3rd QB spot - I really loved his HS film as a dual-threat QB
      • Does anyone know what happened to the QB recruit out of TX that signed last year? He didn't end up joining the team for some reason.
      RB:
      SR, Amar Johnson (MO)
      • While I see Amar as a shade below Playoff Zay, he is still a top-tier FCS running back and should be ready to show the nation
      • Angel Johnson has 2nd string on lockdown after showing this year that he is more than an elite athlete
      • Angel's burst stands out compared to FCS players. He looks like he's playing against a lower division when he gets the ball. I'm curious to see if he can be an every down back who can run inside.
      • I had high hopes for heavily recruited backup Derrick Johnson but see that he's no longer on the roster
      • I'm curious if we go to the portal to get that 220 lb thumper that isn't currently on the roster?
      WR:
      SO, Griffin Wilde (SD, Jefferson), SO Grahm Goering (IA), SR Marcus Preston (KS)(UND)
      • Griffin balled-out as a true frosh but will need to take his game up another level to ensure we don't see too much drop off from losing the Janke twins
      • The rest of the WR crew either seems average for MVFC or unknown
      • Marcus Preston should be dependable and has been pumped up for his downfield blocking and being a team player
      • Devon Cole will be a SR and has flashed a bit as a slot/gadget player
      • I'm really interested in seeing Elijah Ervin (JUCO) and Ky Oday (Colorado St) considering they transferred in this year but didn't play. Was that intentional to save a year of eligibility or are they down that far on the depth chart?
      TE:
      SO, David Alpers (SD, O'Gorman)
      • Similar to WR, we have an unknown status due to Kraft and Heins keeping the position on lockdown the past few years
      • This is TE-U though so I expect the tradition to continue
      • Coaches have spoken highly of next year's Sophomore class and have signaled out Alpers as the most balanced between himself, Gormley and Gannon
      • Behind the Sophomores are a pair of Redshirt Freshman who could push for time with Joey Neumann standing out due to how heavily he was recruited
      • I wouldn't be surprised if we add a veteran TE here via the portal for insurance. Maybe at least a big body TE to help with blocking
      • A little disappointing we didn't get more game reps for the younger group this season considering how easily we were beating teams
      TE (FB):
      SR, Kevin Brenner (WI)
      • No concerns with Brenner taking Mike Morgan's snaps. What a great move to transition him from DE last year
      • I don't see an obvious backup currently on the roster which leads me to believe we get someone from the portal
      OL Tackles:
      SR, Marcus Hicks (KS)(Oklahoma)
      SO, Dawson Rudd (OK)
      • I think there's potential Bo Donald has eligibility for next year and if so would be in contention to start
      • SR Colby Christensen should also be in consideration after starting a handful of games and playing decent last year
      • The team is high on SO Quinten Christensen and I can see him starting at Tackle or Guard
      OL Guards:
      SR, Evan Beerntsen (WI)
      SO, Quentin Christensen (SD, Wessington)
      • True Freshman William Paepke is on the 2-deep today and has really impressed coaches. Rare to see young lineman make that big of an impression.
      • SR Jalen Lee is a run blocking mauler and could challenge for a spot or earn playing time
      • Q Christensen is the next big OL stud for SDSU - McCormick 2.0
      OL Center:
      SR, Gus Miller (SD, Brookings)
      • A player to be concerned about being poached with NIL $
      • Always hard to identify who the next center will be. The depth chart has SR Ethan Viberg who does have a COVID year left if he takes it
      Defense:

DE:

SR Zac Wilson (FL)
      SR Blake Peterson (SD, Beresford)
      • Similar to WR and TE, this this a position group that loses some long standing names in Hicks, Terveer and Caden Johnson
      • Blake Peterson has a lot of expectation coming from Iowa St, but has missed most of this season due to a lower leg injury
      • Zac Wilson finally getting reps this season and has flashed at times. Has a great frame for an FCS DE.
      • Beyond these two, there is a group that has little playing time to make much judgement on:
        • SR Randy Keumogne has a year of eligibility left and while he has great burst, he's rarely played due to injuries and being buried on depth chart filled with upper classmen. Has started to play some lately.
        • SO Dawson Ripperda transferred in this year from Northern Illinois and has a good frame and athleticism. Played more earlier in the season.
        • JR Levi Vanden Bos has played some in mop-up time and has always looked solid
        • RFR Reis Kirschenman has been named dropped by Coach Rogers as having had potential to play as a true freshman due his ability to rush the passer
      DT:
      SR Jarod DePriest (IL)
      SR Max Baloun (SD, Redfield)
      • Returning two players with great size and who've earned their stripes over the past few seasons.
      • The 2nd hockey line by my guess would be Wolfcale-Holsten (JR) and Logan Green (SO). AWH has flashed this year and I'm excited to see him get more time. Logan Green has also been pumped up by coaches since joining last year.
      • The 3rd hockey line would leave SO Jace Sifore and RFR Bryce Hawthorne who both should be capable and will press the group above them for playing time
      • While I don't anticipate much drop-off, the Chain Gang is starting to thin out compared to how much upper classmen experience we've had here in the past few seasons. Still plenty of talent though, just younger.
      LB:
      SR Adam Bock (IA)

SR Caleb Francl (NE)
      SR Graham Spalding (FL)
      • All three returners have starting experience led by Adam Bock who is elite and hopefully back to full strength next season and ready to make his case to NFL scouts.
      • Mcgaughy is also back and can be considered interchangeable with Francl
      • The rest of the backers will be newer faces with the Kusler twins (SR) getting more time and a bevy of good, young backers led by Cullen McShane (SO) and Bryce Johnson (SO)
      • I will definitely miss seeing Jason Freeman lay the wood though. I don't think I've ever seen an SDSU player as strong at the point of attack as Freeman. A RB can hit him full speed and it looks like they hit a brick wall. One of the great gems and thankful he found SDSU.
      CB:
      SR Dallys Beanum (NE)

SR Steven Arrell (MN)
      • Good experience in the starting group with newly added transfer portal signee Colby Humphrey potentially pushing to start
      • Behind the seniors are a group that has been getting game action lately due to Arrell's injury and have held their own (Myles Taylor (JR), Jalen Lee (SO) & Aydan Dauterman(JR))
      • Jalen Lee reminds me of Don Gardner and Gales with his willingness to come downhill and tackle
      S:
      SR Cale Reeder (IL)

JR Tucker Large (SD, Roosevelt)
      • Love the Tucker Large story and how he plays - a bit concerned that this is another player P5 teams might target considering he's a threat in the return game as well
      • SR Colby Huerter, JR Matthew Durrance and SO Dontay Johnson could all be listed as a starter and have a bevy of game reps. A very deep position group.
      Specials: (All back Next Season)

LS:
      JR Kaden Olivia (TX) -
      Coach Rogers has said he's one of the best to ever do it at SDSU
      P:
      SR Hunter Dustman (MN)

PK:
      SR Hunter Dustman (MN)
      Great analysis. For all the talk of who we will lose this year, there is a still of a lot talent and depth potentially coming back.

Comment

If everything holds pat (no projected starters transfer), I think the only real unknowns amongst the starters will be at TE and OT.

Most of the inserted starters for next year are just moving up a notch from the 2 deep and have played a lot, so we have a decent idea what they bring to the table.

To me, the biggest question will be the quality of depth next year's team will have, as players who haven't seen meaningful reps will need to step up.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

This team is so loaded and balanced that it’s hard for many individuals to stand out all that much. And by in large, the starters only played 2 or 3 quarters many games. Excited to see the future stars develops. Hawthorne, van tol, Tilford, Shane, green, kirschenman, ripperda are all names I expect to be household names next year along with the more obvious ones. Hope there are some more that will prive me wrong for not including them!

Comment

Originally posted by NCJack View Post
            This team is so loaded and balanced that it’s hard for many individuals to stand out all that much. And by in large, the starters only played 2 or 3 quarters many games. Excited to see the future stars develops. Hawthorne, van tol, Tilford, Shane, green, kirschenman, ripperda are all names I expect to be household names next year along with the more obvious ones. Hope there are some more that will prive me wrong for not including them!
            How long do you think it'll be before "Jack the Ripperda" or some variation makes it onto social media after he slashes through opponent's OL?

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post

Great analysis. For all the talk of who we will lose this year, there is a still of a lot talent and depth potentially coming back.
              I made the mistake of visiting eGriz forum and was surprised by one poster's assertion that their top two RBs were superior to Jacks' this year.

I left assuming s/he was trying to convince him/herself that it was one position where Griz might have an advantage, but I'd be curious how folks like Herder and Haley would assess Jacks' depth chart as compared to this year's playoff field.

Comment

Their stud rb had 10 carries for 2 yards….

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I made the mistake of visiting eGriz forum and was surprised by one poster's assertion that their top two RBs were superior to Jacks' this year.

I left assuming s/he was trying to convince him/herself that it was one position where Griz might have an advantage, but I'd be curious how folks like Herder and Haley would assess Jacks' depth chart as compared to this year's playoff field.
                  Their stud Freshman starter has a stat line of 35 for 108 in his 3 playoff games, combined... This is 1 yard better than Isiah's WORST game of the playoffs. So I think that tells us the wishful thinking happening there. The guy making these claims has been nothing but a tool from the posts I've read so I would take that all with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

Their stud Freshman starter has a stat line of 35 for 108 in his 3 playoff games, combined... This is 1 yard better than Isiah's WORST game of the playoffs. So I think that tells us the wishful thinking happening there. The guy making these claims has been nothing but a tool from the posts I've read so I would take that all with a grain of salt.
                    Seemed that way from what I'd read. I haven't revisited the place for a while. Their other RB, Ostmo, has been hobbled by injuries and takes a beating, so I'm fine with the Jacks' stable of RBs

Comment

Great roster breakdown! Seeing it broken down like that, we actually return a lot more than I had realized. There's a few unknowns, but overall a pretty solid team coming back. Do I think they'll go undefeated and be an absolute #1 team in the country? No... do I think they'll be a top 5 team that can compete with anybody and put themselves in position to make a run? Yes.

Comment

Excellent post and great discussion. Questions I'm wondering about:

1) Off season program for returning players: What level of improvement might we see? Will we see good turning into all-conf? Or all-conf turning into all-american?
                        2) Depth below the 2-deep: How good are these guys? Do we have any sleepers held down by elite starters? Guys look to make a huge jump this off season?
                        3) Transfers: Stop-gap measures? Adding depth? Or game-changing players?
                        4) Immediate impact freshmen: I'd like to think the roster is solid enough to not need/rely upon true freshmen, but nonetheless, let them compete and put the players on the field with the best chance of achieving victory.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                          Great roster breakdown! Seeing it broken down like that, we actually return a lot more than I had realized. There's a few unknowns, but overall a pretty solid team coming back. Do I think they'll go undefeated and be an absolute #1 team in the country? No... do I think they'll be a top 5 team that can compete with anybody and put themselves in position to make a run? Yes.
                          This has been my argument to everyone who states we are going to take this giant leap back next year and go 7-5. We are obviously going to come back down to the rest of the pack, but we are chasing teams like USD and Furman in the top five. For example, we lose Freeman and Stalbird who both played at an All-American level this year. They are being replaced by Francl who was the opening day starter at Iowa, Mcgaughy who I thought looked awesome at times in 2022, and Spalding. We are replacing All-Americans with very good players. Not to mention all season long when looking at the weekly awards given out for scout team, I continually had moments where I thought to myself "I forgot all about that guy". We have been recruiting at a high level and I am assuming these kids are going to be chomping at the bit. If we can keep Mark for one more year, I think we have a good shot to be in the hunt.

I remember at the beginning of the WBB season AJ made a comment about players having to step into new roles. He commented that when Myah played with Miller and Guebert she was a much different player than she was at the end of her career because early on her role wasn't to score 20 points per game. Just because a player like Wilde or Amar Johnson doesn't have eye popping stats doesn't mean they aren't capable.

Comment

Wonder what the coaching staff will look like…. Zach Lujan rumors are floating around (Northwestern), wonder how many players would follow

Comment

I heard the same thing but a different school. Not sure how much I trust the source so I just kind of ignored it. Shouldn't be surprised he is getting looks though.
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                              X