Next: Boys from branch campus visit Brookings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next: Boys from branch campus visit Brookings

The Coyotes from the branch campus come to Brookings on Saturday. My attendance prediction: 17,023 (consisting of 17,000 Jacks fans plus 23 'Yotes parents and fans. .

Seriously, Saturday's game agaisnt USD should be an entertaining game. We won't see a fluke ending like what happened last season. Score prediction: SDSU 35, USD 7.

This season has been one with several changes for the Jacks, notably pre-season coaching changes and early-season injuries to key players. But, in my opinion, the changes are now incorporated into the program and the 4-1 Jacks will take the field against USD with the controlled confidence (and a little swagger) we've been watching grow each weekend.

Go Jacks!

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    The Coyotes from the branch campus come to Brookings on Saturday. My attendance prediction: 17,023 (consisting of 17,000 Jacks fans plus 23 'Yotes parents and fans. .

Seriously, Saturday's game agaisnt USD should be an entertaining game. We won't see a fluke ending like what happened last season. Score prediction: SDSU 35, USD 7.

This season has been one with several changes for the Jacks, notably pre-season coaching changes and early-season injuries to key players. But, in my opinion, the changes are now incorporated into the program and the 4-1 Jacks will take the field against USD with the controlled confidence (and a little swagger) we've been watching grow each weekend.

Go Jacks!

I'm feeling froggy. I think we crack 18k.

If the Jacks can replicate what they did to Shelley on Sat. against Camp, I think they force at least three turnovers (one fumble, at least one INT, and one strip sack by Sanders that's recovered by Winkelman for a TD)

Comment

This isn’t going to be a sellout? I’m guessing 19K. But who cares, the atmosphere is going to be electric and the game will be too. I got Jacks 34-31.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
        This isn’t going to be a sellout? I’m guessing 19K. But who cares, the atmosphere is going to be electric and the game will be too. I got Jacks 34-31.
        I hope you meant to type 34-10. If it's that close and high scoring, I'd have to think it means Jacks sustain more injuries on defense. I wonder if Wolf and Stalbird will be back.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I hope you meant to type 34-10. If it's that close and high scoring, I'd have to think it means Jacks sustain more injuries on defense. I wonder if Wolf and Stalbird will be back.
          Stalbird played yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Stalbird played yesterday.
            Just a couple plays though, right?

I meant as starter.

Comment

Wolf was in street clothes at the WIU game. But he was walking around okay. I think he had a brace on one knee.

Comment

Could also be a breakout game for Morgan, if Heins has any lingering effects from questionable hit.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

USD converts on Hail Marys to end both halves to reach 31 points

Comment

This isn’t going to be a sellout? I’m guessing 19K. But who cares,...
                    How do the two schools compare on home attendance through last weekend? SDSU has played three home games; USD has played two. Here are the home attendance numbers taken from the box scores posted on each school's athletic website.

JACKRABBITS
                    SDSU home attendance at Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium is 19,340 (capacity from SDSU website).
                    Sept 10 (v. UC-Davis): 15,182
                    Sept 17: (v Butler) 16,414
                    Oct 1: (v. Western IL) 15,237
                    TOTAL TO DATE 46,833
                    3-GAME AVERAGE 15,611

COYOTES
                    USD home attendance at the Dakota Dome is 9,100 (capacity from USD website).
                    Sept 17 (v Cal Poly) 6,812
                    Sept 24 (v NDSU) 6,530
                    TOTAL TO DATE 13,342
                    2-GAME AVERAGE 6,671

How about this comparison: What percentage of capacity is the average attendance? For SDSU, it's 80.72%. For USD, it's 73.31%.

Readers can form their own conclusions. Here are a couple that jumped out at me:
                    1. Football fans can be happy SDSU doesn't play in a 9,100 capacity stadium with the fan demand to watch football trending up.
                    2. USD fans can be happy the Dakota Dome's capacity is 9,100 and not 10,000 more.

Go Jacks!

Comment

SDSU was D1 FCS starting with the 2004 season. Football games between the Jackrabbits and Coyotes ended with the 2003 season and did not resume until the 2012 season when USD moved up to D1 FCS.

If one focuses only on the D1 era for BOTH schools here are the results through last fall:

2012 at SDSU: SDSU 31, USD 8
                      2013 at USD: SDSU 27, USD 12
                      2014 at SDSU: SDSU 37, USD 14
                      2015 at USD: SDSU 30, USD 23
                      2016 at SDSU: SDSU 28, USD 21
                      2017 at USD: SDSU 31, USD 28
                      2018 at SDSU: SDSU 49, USD 27
                      2019 at USD: USD 24, SDSU 21
                      20-21 -- USD cancelled
                      2021 at USD: USD 23, SDSU 20.

So in the nine games played since the 2012 season, SDSU has won 7 and USD has won 2 (both in Vermillion). One game (the "20-21" season) was cancelled by USD due to COVID 19.

Will the 'Yotes arrive in Brookings confident they're going to extend their win streak to three? The last time USD won in Brookings was 2000: USD 41, SDSU 28. The 2000 game was the last time USD won the football game until their win in Vermillion in 2019.

I'm sticking to my prediction: 17,023 fans watch SDSU 35, USD 7.

Comment

Here's a report on the USD win in Brookings, November 4, 2000. At the 1:00 PM kickoff, the weather report was 54 degrees, a sunny sky and 15 mph wind out of the SSW.

USD was coached by John Austin. SDSU was coached by some fellow named John Stiegelmeier.

The following game summary comes from the USD Athletics website.

WEEK 10 - SOUTH DAKOTA 41, South Dakota State 28
                        Dusty Stamer rushed for 242 yards and had a 64-yard touchdown gallop in the second best rushing effort in Coyote history as South Dakota rolled past rival South Dakota State, 41-28 at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium in Bookings. The Coyotes used their powerful rushing game to sweep to a 24-7 lead and win their first game in Brookings since 1989. In the Coyotes' best offensive game of the year, they rushed for 278 yards and gained 541 yards in total offense. The 64-yard run by Stamer was one of four touchdown runs or receptions over 60 yards. Stamer had five games of rushing for over 100 yards.

————————

Today the series record between the two schools stands at SDSU 55 wins, 52 losses and seven ties.

I have to revise my prediction: SDSU 49, USD 3.
                        Last edited by JackJD; 10-03-2022, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

COYOTES
                          USD home attendance at the Dakota Dome is 9,100 (capacity from USD website).
                          Sept 17 (v Cal Poly) 6,812
                          Sept 24 (v NDSU) 6,530
                          TOTAL TO DATE 13,342
                          2-GAME AVERAGE 6,671

Go Jacks!
                          I included only a small part of the original post above because there is only one number in it that truly baffles me. Where were the Bison fans on September 24th? They can usually be counted on to sell at least a few thousand tickets.
                          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I was at that game in Vermilion and I would guess only 1000 Bison fans were there. I have read on the Bisonville board that a lot of fans went to Arizona the previous weekend and simply passed on Vermilion.
                            I believe that many teams in different sports count the attendance by either tickets sold or people actually passing through the gate. What method does SDSU use and what method is used by the rest of the MVFC?

Comment

USD converts on Hail Marys to end both halves to reach 31 points
                              May the gents at Lofton, Arrell, Gales, Beanum & Reeder Varmint Eradicators prevent those travesties from occurring

Comment

Working...
                              X