Stig….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centraljack90 View Post
    I will cheer on and support this program as I always have. I just wish we could change a few things up, getting the same results year after year and losing games that we should never lose is getting old. It's nice that we are to this level that we can think this way. We are no longer satisfied with winning a playoff game.

I get your last sentence, no longer satisfied with winning a playoff game.

However, under 25 years years with Stig, things have consistently trended towards getting better each year. Sure, you could argue that over a quarter century there should be a National Championship. But even by that logic if there was a different National Champ each of the last 25 years, that still leaves 103/128 teams that did not win one.

The program has gone from consistently losing/average, to making the playoffs, to hosting games, to making semi final appearances. IMO, if you make 4/5 semifinals, you are top team in the country and could win a national championship any of those years. There's too much luck and what not that goes into it. Flip a coin each game, it's anybodys title once its down to that few teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post

I'm not sure where your percentages come from or how you came up with them but it doesn't say much for the assistant coaches that have been groomed under Stig's leadership. I'm sure Jimmy Rogers will be thrilled to find out that there is a 90% chance that the team is going to get worse if he would ever get promoted to head coach.
      The percentages came from my personal thoughts. Fact is, it's hard to get much better than a consistent top 4 team in the country. In my personal opinion, there's a greater chance that the program does not remain a top 4 team - I really don't care if the next coach is Jimmy Rogers, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or anybody else - I'm just saying I think there's greater odds that the program would get worse than better.

Here's something we can agree on (maybe). The program is doing the right things if some of us are upset that being a top 4 team year in and out is no longer good enough.

Comment

I trust Sell to continue to make great decisions. I am going to enjoy our successes and let Justin sweat the big and small stuff. Stig is doing a great job managing his assistants and I assume he will continue to do so. If other teams are hiring them away, that tells me that he has made good hires. Now, someone get to BV and make a connection with Navarro Schunke in case his FBS experience doesn't turn out to be all he wants. Go Jacks!
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post

I get your last sentence, no longer satisfied with winning a playoff game.

However, under 25 years years with Stig, things have consistently trended towards getting better each year. Sure, you could argue that over a quarter century there should be a National Championship. But even by that logic if there was a different National Champ each of the last 25 years, that still leaves 103/128 teams that did not win one.

The program has gone from consistently losing/average, to making the playoffs, to hosting games, to making semi final appearances. IMO, if you make 4/5 semifinals, you are top team in the country and could win a national championship any of those years. There's too much luck and what not that goes into it. Flip a coin each game, it's anybodys title once its down to that few teams.
          Exactly MN!! at some point you have to have a few bounces go your way. you need a little luck. some will say that good teams make their own luck. i definitely think there is TRUTH in that!!! but there are also ALWAYS factors that coaches and players cannot control

sometimes you are just off your game a little. i mean look at what tom brady did on sunday. B R U T A L. i think Isiah had one of those days on saturday

the way that damn weird ball bounces. directly into the stomach of their QB while he is laying on the ground

officiating

injuries. and we all have spent way too much time talking about the jacks being overdue for some good luck in the injury department

I REALLY do not think it is out of line to argue that we are the number two progam in FCS but no worse than top 3-5. only one other program has a longer run of playoff teams. i think in the last 5 years and maybe more we have beaten NDSU about the same number of times as EVERY other team in the country combined, including FBS

this team is in position now EVERY year to win it all !!!!!!! we need to have some good health and maybe a good bounce or two

if you ask the ndsu fans who are even a little bit reasonable, they KNOW that they have had some very VERY good luck to have the success that they have had!!!!!
          i mean honestly they could JUST AS EASILY lost on friday!! the interception by number 6, which i thought was textbook perfect coverage, i would not have been even a tiny bit surprised if he had been flagged. the first PI call on don the week before against nova, i thought was EVERY bit as perfect of coverage but he got flagged

what is the difference??? if it is anything other than luck i cannot wait to hear it

two years ago i thought our team was good enough to win it all. not only did Gibbs get hurt. but the kid in the same class who was also very promising entered the portal in the fall as soon as Gibbs was declared starter

ndsu could just as easily have had Cam miller enter the portal this fall when they declared the other kid the starter. i do not think they turn this season around without Cam. but they are lucky he is a coaches kid. his dad sounds like a very good dude and i am sure told his son you do not run from a challenge you put your head down and do your best and be a good teammate. of course i do not know what hid dad said but he stayed for some reason and i am guess he either thought something like that or was told that

i am not going to go on further listing their breaks or the places the rabbits could have used just a little bit different bounce or break

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Stig will retire after the 2025 season and possibly before. The Jacks next head coach, in my opinion, is likely to be:
            1. Jimmy Rogers, former linebacker and current assistant head coach / defensive co-coordinator for the Jacks.
            2. Dan Jackson, former assistant head coach and special teams coordinator for the Jacks, now the cornerbacks coach, pass defense coordinator and co-special teams co-coordinator at Northern Illinois.
            3. Whoever is the assistant head coach, at the time, at NDSU or UNI.
            4. John Johnson, former RB coach for the Jacks, now a recruiting analyst for Oklahoma State (where he played).
            5. Zach Lujan, former quarterback and now the quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator for the Jacks.
            6. Someone most of us have not heard of yet.
            7. Former SDSU offensive coordinators Eric Eidsness or Jason Eck.
            I would go…
            1. Jimmy Rogers- former player, great assistant coach, bleeds blue and yellow, we always have good linebackers and he has been given a lot of credit for their consistent quality of play.
            2. Dan Jackson- experience and success, absolute recruiting stud, seems like he has a really good reputation around here.
            3. Jason Eck- let’s say he turns Idaho around and turns them into a contender… he has the swagger and pedigree along with great connections and recruiting skills. Could have the swagger to bring SDSU over the top, it would be more of a question of whether SDSU or Idaho is more desirable
            4. Zach Lujan- by 2025 he could have some years of OC experience, another guy that bleeds blue and yellow, seems like an up and comer on our staff. Alaska recruiting pipeline
            5. Eric Eidsness- SDSU alum, long time coach here, experience and success, more of a Stig style guy.
            6. Kalen Deboer- South Dakota guy, head coach at Washington right now, if things go south and then he rebounds as an assistant he would be a good hire. Personally I think he is going to do good at Washington though.
            Fun to think about but realistically it is all about timing and who knows who is in the spotlight when Stig hangs up the whistle.

Comment

Jason Eck will probably make (substantially?) more money at Idaho then what Stig is currently making. Prior Idaho Head Coach had a base salary of $446,000.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Jason Eck will probably make (substantially?) more money at Idaho then what Stig is currently making. Prior Idaho Head Coach had a base salary of $446,000.
                I suppose with all those kids the grocery bill isn’t cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by centraljack90 View Post
                  Was not trying to start a world war. I just wanted to voice my opinion. That's why we have a forum right?

I never said to fire Stig. I said it was selfish in signing on for 2 more years. I don't like the fact that we lost out on a possibility of a proven assistant having the opportunity to become our next H.C. I feel if he wants what is best for the program, let one of your assistants that you've groomed do it. We can all agree, the older you get the less energy you have, its a fact of life.

I didn't question his character. And I never said he tried to cover up his mistake he made. I said he and the athletic department do a good job of not letting stuff leak out or get out when it comes to off field issues with their players. Which I know happens. The same stuff happens at SDSU as it does at other colleges. So don't make it sound like our kids are perfect people. And Stig isn't any different from any of us. Not sure if there's a ranking for "best people in the world". But some of you seem to have him high on your list if there is one.

The volleyball reference I don't get, which is fine, I'm sure it made sense to some. I have no idea who is our VB coach, and frankly I don't care.

This also could all come down on the Admin. Maybe they didn't think any current assistant is qualified or good enough for the position.

I do know that the Admin (AD's, asst AD's) get a "pat on the back" if they would bring in a "big name" coach from somewhere else. Or a Coordinator from an FBS school. They don't get as much glory or praise from the public if they just promote a HC from within.

I will cheer on and support this program as I always have. I just wish we could change a few things up, getting the same results year after year and losing games that we should never lose is getting old. It's nice that we are to this level that we can think this way. We are no longer satisfied with winning a playoff game.

Listen to the post game presser with Logan Backhaus, he said, "Obviously something has to change in our program". Not sure what he meant behind that, but it was interesting to hear.

Along with Wes' comments, on how he wished they would have been able to block things up differently. Using a different scheme. Said they kind of stuck to the basics and he wished they would have changed/adapted. Any of that in part to Eck's departure? Did Eck put as much time into this weeks prep as he normally would? Not sure, its a fair question. He had early signing Day at Idaho, so this week had to of been hectic for him. Just bad timing.

Who's to say a succession plan wasn't discussed and an assistant like Rogers indicated he'd like to try to win Stig a championship. Also, if folks are correct about Stig being a figurehead or having a laissez faire management style, the assistants would be making HC decisions anyway, and if at least one agreed to stay because Stig informally agreed to annoint them, then it's not really a lost opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

I suppose with all those kids the grocery bill isn’t cheap!
                    That's what the ol' HyVee Fuel Saver's for

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      Idaho's prior coach, Paul Petrino, was with the team a few years during its venture into FBS. Idaho has been back in the FCS since 2018. I don't know how that might affect the base salary of the head coach, but FCS coaches probably make less than FBS coaches, generally speaking.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

CFO asks CEO: "What happens if we invest in developing our people and then they leave us?"
                        CEO replies: "What happens if we don't invest in them and then they stay?"

Train people well enough so they can leave. Treat them well enough so they don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                          CFO asks CEO: "What happens if we invest in developing our people and then they leave us?"
                          CEO replies: "What happens if we don't invest in them and then they stay?"

Train people well enough so they can leave. Treat them well enough so they don't want to.
                          Wouldn't it be nice if they felt that way toward their workers too? Sorry , maybe you were referring to workers? I know they use that rationalization for their own salaries and such. My mistake.Getting any kind of workers right now is a big enough challenge for said CEO, maybe more so managers, as that responsibility is usually handed down to them. The few that are still in the workforce are being overworked to the point where even they are quitting, this is not progress, it's regression. .Forced overtime, working them ridiculously long hrs, long work weeks, this is not treating them well enough. Sorry for the tirade, but a lot of people don't know the reality of what's happening now, still living in "yesterday" . It's not "the good ole days" for a lot of people struggling to survive, facing hardships and unusual circumstances.
                          Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-22-2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

I REALLY do not think it is out of line to argue that we are the number two progam in FCS but no worse than top 3-5. only one other program has a longer run of playoff teams. i think in the last 5 years and maybe more we have beaten NDSU about the same number of times as EVERY other team in the country combined, including FBS

if you ask the ndsu fans who are even a little bit reasonable, they KNOW that they have had some very VERY good luck to have the success that they have had!!!!!
                            i mean honestly they could JUST AS EASILY lost on friday!! the interception by number 6, which i thought was textbook perfect coverage, i would not have been even a tiny bit surprised if he had been flagged. the first PI call on don the week before against nova, i thought was EVERY bit as perfect of coverage but he got flagged

what is the difference??? if it is anything other than luck i cannot wait to hear it

ndsu could just as easily have had Cam miller enter the portal this fall when they declared the other kid the starter. i do not think they turn this season around without Cam. but they are lucky he is a coaches kid. his dad sounds like a very good dude and i am sure told his son you do not run from a challenge you put your head down and do your best and be a good teammate. of course i do not know what hid dad said but he stayed for some reason and i am guess he either thought something like that or was told that

i am not going to go on further listing their breaks or the places the rabbits could have used just a little bit different bounce or break
                            I would say SDSU has easily risen to a top 3/4 program. SDSU was impressive in the spring...we sure were not. If you guys don't lose your starter in the beginning of the championship game...who knows. Now there was some bad luck.

We've had our share of good luck, and bad luck. Losing Lance to the NFL after one season and one game...that was not in the plans. Losing Cox to LSU, then a starting RB and Corner...that's tough.

We have a ref on BV to explained that interception and why it wasn't PI...he had his arm extended to protect his space...which I guess he is allowed to do...if he had pushed off then it was PI. So that was just sound play. Now making a one handed catch fully extended...yeah, that isn't a play you expect to make...so definitely some luck there.

In our second Georgia Southern game late in the game we were behind, and we got stopped on 3rd down...and Georgia Southern's ManBearPig got a PF, so extended the eventual game winning drive. That is a bit of luck.

Some luck is made/earned...as in not just random...but sometimes it is. Some of that luck is earned by getting homefield advantage...so other teams have to battle travel/crowd.

Then there is bad luck...like the USD hail mary. That bad luck was earned...as in players keeping the ball alive. Then there is the loss to SIU...Stig losing faith in his team's stamina. You guys win those games and they are hosting MSU...and I don't see MSU winning at SDSU.

So basically I'm saying yes there is luck, but a fair portion of it the team is responsible for.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                              I would say SDSU has easily risen to a top 3/4 program. SDSU was impressive in the spring...we sure were not. If you guys don't lose your starter in the beginning of the championship game...who knows. Now there was some bad luck.

We've had our share of good luck, and bad luck. Losing Lance to the NFL after one season and one game...that was not in the plans. Losing Cox to LSU, then a starting RB and Corner...that's tough.

We have a ref on BV to explained that interception and why it wasn't PI...he had his arm extended to protect his space...which I guess he is allowed to do...if he had pushed off then it was PI. So that was just sound play. Now making a one handed catch fully extended...yeah, that isn't a play you expect to make...so definitely some luck there.

In our second Georgia Southern game late in the game we were behind, and we got stopped on 3rd down...and Georgia Southern's ManBearPig got a PF, so extended the eventual game winning drive. That is a bit of luck.

Some luck is made/earned...as in not just random...but sometimes it is. Some of that luck is earned by getting homefield advantage...so other teams have to battle travel/crowd.

Then there is bad luck...like the USD hail mary. That bad luck was earned...as in players keeping the ball alive. Then there is the loss to SIU...Stig losing faith in his team's stamina. You guys win those games and they are hosting MSU...and I don't see MSU winning at SDSU.

So basically I'm saying yes there is luck, but a fair portion of it the team is responsible for.
                              if you go back and look at my post, i do not think that we have any disagreement about anything. and i dont think you really are disagreeing, more just adding to the conversation, unless my perception of your comments is wrong.

as to the interception by #6 against jmu, my comment said it was TEXTBOOK PERFECT COVERAGE. but i hope we all recognize that perfect pass coverage by the defender does not make him immune to hideously stupid calls by game officials. i am going to guess that that play gets called PI about 30% of the time, so the LUCK is the fact that the official did not screw it up

as i also pointed out, the previous week, our corner, don gardner was flagged for also perfect coverage against villanova, which set up one of their TD, so perfect coverage by the defender is far FAR from a guarantee that no penalty will be called

some would say the official did not want to have too much influence on a play so close to the end of the game, regarding the interception at the end of the jmu game. that whole idea of swallowing the whistle in big games and moments is beyond stupid!!! if that would have been PI the game time should have ZERO impact on calling it or not calling it. if officials let obvious fouls occur just because of the magnitude of the game or moment THEY ARE HAVING AN UNDUE INFLUENCE ON THE GAMES OUTCOME!!!!

they should ALWAYS call the obvious fouls!!!! to not call them is influencing the game. if they/ we/ you/ anyone wants to debate about calling or not calling borderline calls fine, but it is not fair for the teams to be officiated one way the whole game and then have different rules in the most important moments. basically what you would throw a flag for in the first drive of the game you should also throw the flag on the last drive and same goes for NOT throwing the flag. plays made or missed in the beginning and middle of the game have just as much impact on the outcome of games as plays in the last minute

good example, seems like officials in both semi final games decided that NOTHING would be called for holding. obvious holding calls should be called PERIOD. but at the same time in our MSU game they did decide to throw a flag for a very VERY borderline personal foul against don gardner for a tackle that CLEARLY began well in bounds but ended up going to the ground out of bounds. that had LOTS of influence on the game. so the whole idea of reffing different in some moments is beyond ridiculous. CONSISTENCY is the best thing the officials can offer to any game.

i also agreed with you that some luck is made through preparation, effort, and execution

the sdsu FAIL mary was NOT LUCK it was terrible execution. NOTHING ELSE TO SAY. we had at least two players attempt to catch the ball when the ONLY ONLY ONLY goal on that play should be to spike the ball to the ground as quickly as possible. there is no luck at all to that play. it was terribly executed and any other thought is just an attempt to lie to ourselves

the BAD LUCK in that game was having TWO starting defenders thrown OUT of the game for totally BS targeting calls that i have seen allowed at least 20 times since then without even getting flagged let alone ejected!!! it seems clear that NOBODY has any idea what really constitutes targeting including the officials. it seems like some officials just instinctively reach for their flag any time there is a big hit

the bad luck of losing Gronowski in spring title game did not just cost us that game. we had to play this whole year without him. and i guess we will never know but i think if we have mark at QB this fall we are undefeated

Comment

Yep, you nailed it...I was just adding to the conversation. Basically agree that to get through a season successfully, a little luck is needed. I would say most luck is preparation...but that isn't always enough.

Anyway, I probably won't be on here until after Christmas, so Merry Christmas to you, and all the rest on here.

Comment

Working...
                                X