Stig….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post
    Stig use to operate on a 1 year contract… so what is wrong with waiting to extend until next year based on performance.
    I guess I don’t ever see where Stig wins the “Big” games during the regular season or in the playoffs. To me that is him being out coached.
    Do I think Stig should be fired? No, but I do think the grass is greener with what we have to offer for a school, program and facilities.

2015 SDSU lost to Montana in opening round.
    2016 #8 SDSU best by #1 NDSU 36-10 in Quarterfinals
    2017 #5 SDSU dismantled by #1 James Madison 51-16 in Semis
    2018 #5 SDSU beat by #1 NDSU 44-21 in Semis
    2019 #7 SDSU Lost against urUNI 13-10 in 2nd Round
    2020 #1 SDSU Runner Up
    2021 urSDSU lost to #8 Montana State in Semifinals. (Shouldn’t have been unseeded because we lost games we shouldn’t have during the regular season).

Please show me how I am wrong.
    Now do that summary for every other FCS school since the Jacks moved up. NDSU obviously has a bunch of championships, James Madison has one and Sam Houston has one with an asterisk, as I believe the Jacks win last year if Gronowski doesn't go down in Frisco. Does that mean we should be satisfied ? Absolutely not, but lots of schools have done the coach shuffle during these years (some more than once) without coming close to the success the Jacks have achieved. And Stig (and other SD coaches) have only recently been able to sign long-term contracts because of a BOR policy change.
    Last edited by bigticket1; 12-19-2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Stig use to operate on a 1 year contract… so what is wrong with waiting to extend until next year based on performance.
      I guess I don’t ever see where Stig wins the “Big” games during the regular season or in the playoffs. To me that is him being out coached.
      Do I think Stig should be fired? No, but I do think the grass is greener with what we have to offer for a school, program and facilities.

2020 #1 SDSU Runner Up
      2021 urSDSU lost to #8 Montana State in Semifinals. (Shouldn’t have been unseeded because we lost games we shouldn’t have during the regular season).

By that logic Schweigert and Nielson should've been gone from Grand Forks and Vermillion long ago. And another 122 FCS coaches should just stop.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

So he's made a lame duck coach, and the implication is that the new coach must win a natty (or at least play for one) or he's one and done regarding contract?

That's not exactly conducive to attracting assistants on the rise or keeping players recruited out of the transfer portal
        I guess we are who Stig picks as his coaches, since he's quoted as saying "I let my coaches coach" after a bad loss. I hope he chooses a replacement wisely if Eck leaves. The question in my mind after he said that is," is Stig just a figurehead ?", the person who signs the checks? I don't know, maybe someone can tell us more. Maybe we're not supposed to know? Or to each his own interpretation I guess.

I think we're all a little disappointed now, and lingering questions in someone's mind tend to come out in these circumstances, otherwise, they're neatly tucked away as "unimportant" when things are going well.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 12-19-2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

I guess we are who Stig picks as his coaches, since he's quoted as saying "I let my coaches coach" after a bad loss. I hope he chooses a replacement wisely if Eck leaves. The question in my mind after he said that is," is Stig just a figurehead ?", the person who signs the checks? I don't know, maybe someone can tell us more. Maybe we're not supposed to know? Or to each his own interpretation I guess.

I think we're all a little disappointed now, and lingering questions in someone's mind tend to come out in these circumstances, otherwise, they're neatly tucked away as "unimportant" when things are going well.
          I took that to mean he tries not to micromanage. Now, I think some of that's due to his hiring decisions re. assistants (they have a propensity to avoid "going rogue," which allows Stig to "let his coaches coach).

I think some of the criticism of Stig is unfair because it ignores the fact that other "winning" coaches make similar decisions that Stig's lambasted for. Case in point 'Nova's HC Ferrante running a "sideline heave" play like Jacks did at USD. Ferrante echoed Stig postgame (2:39 mark) regarding running the play in practice and it bleeding 8secs.

The difference was in execution -- 'Nova's QB tossed it closer to sideline where it could stay in air longer, whereas Oladokun heaved it 20 rows into stands, meaning it wasn't in air as long.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Now do that summary for every other FCS school since the Jacks moved up. NDSU obviously has a bunch of championships, James Madison has one and Sam Houston has one with an asterisk, as I believe the Jacks win last year if Gronowski doesn't go down in Frisco. Does that mean we should be satisfied ? Absolutely not, but lots of schools have done the coach shuffle during these years (some more than once) without coming close to the success the Jacks have achieved. And Stig (and other SD coaches) have only recently been able to sign long-term contracts because of a BOR policy change.
            I'm glad you mentioned this, as it's a common refrain tossed at "Stig apologists" -- that we're "satisfied with mediocrity or the status quo." First, multiple trips to the semis is not mediocrity. Second, the summary you replied to suggests a sustained progression that has a likelihood of continued advancement in playoffs.

Having said that, if reports that Stig or assistants refuse to recognize and/or recognize but minimize, that change is imperative in areas like the secondary, they should be taken to task. However, I've never read such reports or even heard rumors to that effect

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

I am having a hard time figuring out HOW your post could come off the wrong way??? you meant to say that you do not like coach stig and you think it is time for him to go. YES?? seems pretty tough for someone to get confused about what your point is

I think you got a VERY GOOD picture about what his assistant coaches think about him in the spring when you saw how many of his former assistants came to texas to cheer for the jacks to win the championship. his players and assistants love him. how many assistants have been hired away from the jacks. it seems pretty obvious that LOTS of coaches would think it was a great opportunity to be an assistant for Stig

this program has gone nowhere but UP for about twenty years. there are a handful at most of programs that would not give one of their testicles, maybe both, to trade places with SDSU. the one constant in all of that is STIG.
              Please don't make "Coach's Testicle Crunch" the newest ice cream flavor at the Dairy Bar

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post

By that logic Schweigert and Nielson should've been gone from Grand Forks and Vermillion long ago. And another 122 FCS coaches should just stop.
                Great point. Some of these schools should probably be D2 or should hire new coaches. Some also realize that being .500 is the best they can do.
                It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

Stig is going to be the football coach at SDSU until he decides to hang it up. He’s earned that. He’s had this program in the semifinals 4 of the last 5 years. That’s incredible.

I get frustrated as anyone with some of these head scratcher games but at the end of the day this is a program everyone can be proud of. When is the last time you saw this program in the news because of off field issues? That’s a testament to the character of the men Stig recruits. He never waivers on that.

Comment

2020 #1 SDSU Runner Up

Can you explain the "big game" narrative?

WIns against NDSU, including in Fargo, weren't "big games"?

Wins against higher-seeded playoff teams on the road weren't "big games"?

Also, Stig's extension could've included deals for his assistants to keep the regime largely intact following Eck's departure, which they almost inevitably knew about

Comment

I find it funny when we win big games, the players were the reason we won. When we lose a game, Stig was outcoached. The Stig haters will hate until he retires.

Comment

I asked Google how many FCS football programs there are. It led me to an article that answered 128 teams. Stig coached our team to a point better than 124 of them, tied with 1 of them, and not as good as 2 of them. We all hoped for better, but that is not the result that I think of when someone says "mediocre."
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                          I asked Google how many FCS football programs there are. It led me to an article that answered 128 teams. Stig coached our team to a point better than 124 of them, tied with 1 of them, and not as good as 2 of them. We all hoped for better, but that is not the result that I think of when someone says "mediocre."
                          And gave one of the two teams still playing their only loss.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            I find it funny when we win big games, the players were the reason we won. When we lose a game, Stig was outcoached. The Stig haters will hate until he retires.
                            No win will ever be “big enough” for the career Stig-haters.

What would they have done had Gronowski not gotten hurt last year? Their heads may have exploded due to the conflict of championship elation and frustration over not being able to fulfill their annual end of the season gripe-fest about Stig! I would have loved to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

No win will ever be “big enough” for the career Stig-haters.

What would they have done had Gronowski not gotten hurt last year? Their heads may have exploded due to the conflict of championship elation and frustration over not being able to fulfill their annual end of the season gripe-fest about Stig! I would have loved to see that.
                              What's ironic is Stig played a role in hiring coaches that recruited players like Gronowski, and many of the players cite the culture Stig's developed as a reason for signing too

Comment

Current salary:
                                Stig: $306,000
                                Nielson: $300,000
                                Entz: ~$400,000

MVFC coaches salaries (some are out dated):
                                https://amp.news-leader.com/amp/7765206002

Comment

Working...
                                X