No announcement yet.

Stig….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Stig and he is a good coach and what he has done for this program is unmeasurable. I just don't want to seem ungrateful. The question I ask myself is Stig the coach that is going to win us National Championships. Yes Last spring if we had our QB the whole game I am confident enough to say that he would have 1. But our defense did allow a game winning drive. So my answer is no he cannot get it done. We have let down games every single year no matter what the variables are. All you have to do is read our page for awhile to see that we have been let down so many times that we are not confident with our football team. If we are happy with being perennial Top 10 team I think Stig can keep us there, but if we want championships I don't think Stig is the answer. I hope I am wrong. I can see why Sell extended him. In the modern college football world it seems there are revolving doors with coaching staffs and our for the most part has been very secure and Sell wants to continue that.
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
      I like Stig and he is a good coach and what he has done for this program is unmeasurable. I just don't want to seem ungrateful. The question I ask myself is Stig the coach that is going to win us National Championships. Yes Last spring if we had our QB the whole game I am confident enough to say that he would have 1. But our defense did allow a game winning drive. So my answer is no he cannot get it done. We have let down games every single year no matter what the variables are. All you have to do is read our page for awhile to see that we have been let down so many times that we are not confident with our football team. If we are happy with being perennial Top 10 team I think Stig can keep us there, but if we want championships I don't think Stig is the answer. I hope I am wrong. I can see why Sell extended him. In the modern college football world it seems there are revolving doors with coaching staffs and our for the most part has been very secure and Sell wants to continue that.
      I wondered about Stig at one point too about 5-6 years ago. At that time we would make the playoffs but have some head scratchers during the regular season that would prevent us from getting a seed and 1st round buy.

Since that time we've seen a shift in our recruiting focus to the OL and DL. That shift correlated to the 4 semi trips in the last 5 years. I'm confident our staff is looking at what they need to do to get us over the hump.

Also, I've been around long enough to know the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
        True, without Mark and we still had a chance…the trouble I have in that game is that it didn’t seem like the offensive gameplan was adjusted at all, and they had a weather delay to make adjustments. The pass plays we’re still called as if Mark was QB. Hardly any quick hitters to the TEs and such. Villanova is the only game in recent memory that after halftime there seemed to be changes or at least the guys changed how they were playing.

if there’s any issue with what I see in the coaching it’s lack of mid/in-game adjustments. But I may be wrong in what I’m seeing.

Comment

yep yep YEP!! in game adjustments are the key for sure

how about those in game adjustments Bruce Arians made yesterday. bucs looked like garbage in half one and........ still effing garbage in half two. he cost his team the first round bye and homefield advantage most likely

we should fire stig so that the bucs can hire him and he can leave without having to feel bad about leaving

Comment

There may some “Fire Stig” guys out there but I’m not one of them. But I would like to see some improvement in in game adjustments, clock management. Do these things happen now, of course they do but there’s also times when, as a fan, we don’t see them and are perplexed.

Stig is a wonderful leader and has this program consistently where I as a fan never thought I’d see it. But I also want to see it be great, be all that it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Please don't make "Coach's Testicle Crunch" the newest ice cream flavor at the Dairy Bar
              sometimes i am really not sure if i should be scared or impressed with the things that go through your mind))!!! would you want to venture some guess what the ingredients would be for that flavor

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post

They have been to the semi finals 4 out of the last 5 years. This season was a disappointment for sure in the end. But who would you rather have as head coach??

Justin Sell said on the pregame show that Stig can basically name how long he wants to coach with the success he has had. Do you disagree with him?

He’s not perfect by any means but I don’t see how making a change actually makes the program better at this point.
                Yes I disagree that he should get to stay as long as wants. That will not be a popular opinion on this board but oh well. Also, with some of the top teams heading for the FBS and some talking about it, if Stig sticks around long enough he will eventually get a championship in a watered down FCS. That will allow most people on here to say I told you so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                  There may some “Fire Stig” guys out there but I’m not one of them. But I would like to see some improvement in in game adjustments, clock management. Do these things happen now, of course they do but there’s also times when, as a fan, we don’t see them and are perplexed.

Stig is a wonderful leader and has this program consistently where I as a fan never thought I’d see it. But I also want to see it be great, be all that it can be.
                  I am not countering any of your point. I am just adding to it. YES i know sports are very often measured in Ws and Ls. and believe me i am as competitive as anyone and I HATE HATE HATE LOSING!!

but at the end of the day many MANY things go into winning and losing that cannot be controlled and you HAVE to be able to step back at some point and realize that there is not much difference between winning and losing a lot of games. and because a ball gets tipped up instead of down really should not be the total reason for thinking a program is successful or deciding if your school has a good coach or not

I coached for over 20 years and i saw a LOT of coaches that i would not have wanted my son to come within a million miles. Stig on the other hand is one of the two best people i have ever known in all of sports.

YES i want to win championships and it sucks to come up short in that goal, but there is NO DENYING Stig is already a champion a million times over!!!!!!!

I know of too many coaches who care about nothing but the final score, they do not care if their kids get a degree as long as they are eligible to play on saturday. i have seen so many coaches that barely lift a finger to help their kids outside the arena

as a coach, my first job was to grow young men who had excellent character, who could be happy, healthy, and successful, and make a difference for the people around them. winning games was very very important and it HAS TO BE!! because if you are not teaching your kids to do everything they can to win, then the lessons about life and character cannot be taught as effectively. BUT it really cannot be the only way that success is measured

Stig is an unbelievable teacher and leader and grower of amazing young men!! i promise you he is winning like crazy every day every season and every year and i believe he will win some championships. but he is already winning more than almost any other coach i have ever known or seen in the MOST IMPORTANT parts of life and sports

if some of you would ever succeed in getting this man pushed out or fired, we would probably still have an amazing coach because we would probably hire someone who has been mentored and taught by him, but the chances of finding a coach who is better than Stig are so tiny that it is almost impossible to measure

do any of you own a business? or are you in position to hire people? hire as many people who have played for or coached with Stig as you possibly can!!!! then you will know what kind of a winner he is and what kind of winners he is producing at our school

in may this team lost a game by one play and a few seconds when they did not have their conference MVP QB. is that really how you think you should measure if a coach and a program are successful?? is that how you should decide if our coach and our kids are winners??

come on people!!!!! winning is important VERY IMPORTANT! and i am not asking anyone to settle for not winning in any way! but it IS NOT AND CAN NOT BE THE ONLY THING!!! our team our kids and our coach are already champions.

Comment

We are all entitled to our own opinions. I respect everyone for theirs. Here is mine.
                    Am I happy with the season, no and yes. No in that this might of been the best talent we've had at multiple positions collectively than we've ever had in our history. Other than QB. RB yes, OL yes, DB/Corners yes (although Don looked like he was half a step behind all night). TE possibly yes. No because we should of been seeded and had a few home games in the playoffs. Bad coaching decisions that we've already gone through before. That can't happen. It can't. I know at the end of the game it didn't matter, but I would have kicked the FG in the 1st quarter Saturday. You take points whenever you can on the road in the playoffs.

Yes I'm happy because we got to watch some hard fought games and our team won many games. They were fun to watch when they played at their best. Did I enjoy going to games, heck ya we all had fun at times. But we need to get the job done.

I say it all the time, the teams who deserve to win, more times than not end up winning. Montana State deserved to win. We didn't. We don't deserve a national championship. This year we didn't. Will we deserve one in the near future?? Who knows. We get 4,000 people at a home game. We as fans don't deserve a natty. Players do they, ughh maybe. Maybe some of them. The way our fan base is, our team out performed what our fans deserve to see. Its embarrassing. Ok enough about attendance.

The way we pay our assistants, we don't deserve a natty. Shoot we barely deserve to get in the playoffs with how we pay our coaches.

I think Stig accepting the extension for a total of 4 more years is the most selfish thing he has done of his career.

Many of us thought this would be his last. Many of us wanted Eck, Jimmy to become the new head coach. I think we would all be happy if the new head coach was either Eck or Jimmy.
                    Well now that Stig took the extension, those 2 are out the door. Eck already said the hell with it and took off. I have a strong feeling that Jimmy will be leaving too. There is nobody better than Jimmy. Nobody more respected than Jimmy.If you polled the former players of the last 15 years on who they would like to be the new head coach, the results would be staggering. 90% would say Jimmy. Stig might get 2%. So now we have to fill spots. I know coaches leave every year. But I was hoping for a change. We need some youth at the HC.

And the stuff about well look how good of a job Stig has done about character issues and stuff like that. Have we all forgot what happened a few years ago? I'm not perfect, by no means. But we can't act like our coach and players are all angels either. One poster said we never hear about off the field issues. I'm close to the program. The same things happen here with our guys that happens at most other universities as well. Our athletic department/Stig does a good job to cover it up and not let it get leaked. We could sit and talk about stuff from the last 15 years if you'd like to. So no Stig isn't any better than other coaches with that. Is he a man of faith and helps young men who are seeking faith guidance. Yes for sure. But by reading this forum, we can all agree we don't care what faith a kid has, we want to win. Do kids deserve second chances when they mess up, you bet. But we need to win.

Yeah 99% of games are won because of the players. In all reality coaches don't have much of an impact, after the kids learn and can perform the system. The players just need to get it done. Do I think Stig got in the way of our kids winning some games yes. Therefor I'd like to see a new leader. Wish it was 2 of the guys we had on staff Saturday.

Fire back!

Comment

Originally posted by centraljack90 View Post
                      We are all entitled to our own opinions. I respect everyone for theirs. Here is mine.
                      Am I happy with the season, no and yes. No in that this might of been the best talent we've had at multiple positions collectively than we've ever had in our history. Other than QB. RB yes, OL yes, DB/Corners yes (although Don looked like he was half a step behind all night). TE possibly yes. No because we should of been seeded and had a few home games in the playoffs. Bad coaching decisions that we've already gone through before. That can't happen. It can't. I know at the end of the game it didn't matter, but I would have kicked the FG in the 1st quarter Saturday. You take points whenever you can on the road in the playoffs.

Yes I'm happy because we got to watch some hard fought games and our team won many games. They were fun to watch when they played at their best. Did I enjoy going to games, heck ya we all had fun at times. But we need to get the job done.

I say it all the time, the teams who deserve to win, more times than not end up winning. Montana State deserved to win. We didn't. We don't deserve a national championship. This year we didn't. Will we deserve one in the near future?? Who knows. We get 4,000 people at a home game. We as fans don't deserve a natty. Players do they, ughh maybe. Maybe some of them. The way our fan base is, our team out performed what our fans deserve to see. Its embarrassing. Ok enough about attendance.

The way we pay our assistants, we don't deserve a natty. Shoot we barely deserve to get in the playoffs with how we pay our coaches.

I think Stig accepting the extension for a total of 4 more years is the most selfish thing he has done of his career.

Many of us thought this would be his last. Many of us wanted Eck, Jimmy to become the new head coach. I think we would all be happy if the new head coach was either Eck or Jimmy.
                      Well now that Stig took the extension, those 2 are out the door. Eck already said the hell with it and took off. I have a strong feeling that Jimmy will be leaving too. There is nobody better than Jimmy. Nobody more respected than Jimmy.If you polled the former players of the last 15 years on who they would like to be the new head coach, the results would be staggering. 90% would say Jimmy. Stig might get 2%. So now we have to fill spots. I know coaches leave every year. But I was hoping for a change. We need some youth at the HC.

And the stuff about well look how good of a job Stig has done about character issues and stuff like that. Have we all forgot what happened a few years ago? I'm not perfect, by no means. But we can't act like our coach and players are all angels either. One poster said we never hear about off the field issues. I'm close to the program. The same things happen here with our guys that happens at most other universities as well. Our athletic department/Stig does a good job to cover it up and not let it get leaked. We could sit and talk about stuff from the last 15 years if you'd like to. So no Stig isn't any better than other coaches with that. Is he a man of faith and helps young men who are seeking faith guidance. Yes for sure. But by reading this forum, we can all agree we don't care what faith a kid has, we want to win. Do kids deserve second chances when they mess up, you bet. But we need to win.

Yeah 99% of games are won because of the players. In all reality coaches don't have much of an impact, after the kids learn and can perform the system. The players just need to get it done. Do I think Stig got in the way of our kids winning some games yes. Therefor I'd like to see a new leader. Wish it was 2 of the guys we had on staff Saturday.

Fire back!
                      You do admit that you are not perfect but you go on to say that our coach and players are not perfect so therefore, NO BETTER than any other program.

the last and ONLY perfect man to walk the planet was over 2000 years ago so if that is your standard, you are gonna have a tough time finding someone with acceptable character.

it seems that you are saying that you want a program that measures success by trophies and NOTHING else. you should go cheer for KC keeler or mike houston. crazy, however, two coaches who will run their own mother over with a semi to win, have a total of what 3 trophies between them. sorry but winning one trophy while sacrificing everything else is going to end up feeling unbelievably hollow and unsatisfying

i agree Eck has been a great coach for us, but there is already more than a lot of questioning about his decision making. you can speculate what would happen with eck or jimmy but you have NO IDEA what the results would be

so how long would they get after being hired to win a trophy?? how long before they need to be fired also??? maybe we should fire the new volleyball coach too. i mean come on man, he took the defending conference champs to the 5th game in their tourney semifinal but i mean come on they had 3, three, THREE freaking match points and they could not succeed on even one of them. i mean what more do you need. what a freaking loser. lets fire his ass

do you realize that plenty of bison fans also want to fire Entz?

come on dude. there is so so so much more to life and success than having one more point than the other team when the buzzer goes off

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

You do admit that you are not perfect but you go on to say that our coach and players are not perfect so therefore, NO BETTER than any other program.

the last and ONLY perfect man to walk the planet was over 2000 years ago so if that is your standard, you are gonna have a tough time finding someone with acceptable character.

it seems that you are saying that you want a program that measures success by trophies and NOTHING else. you should go cheer for KC keeler or mike houston. crazy, however, two coaches who will run their own mother over with a semi to win, have a total of what 3 trophies between them. sorry but winning one trophy while sacrificing everything else is going to end up feeling unbelievably hollow and unsatisfying

i agree Eck has been a great coach for us, but there is already more than a lot of questioning about his decision making. you can speculate what would happen with eck or jimmy but you have NO IDEA what the results would be

so how long would they get after being hired to win a trophy?? how long before they need to be fired also??? maybe we should fire the new volleyball coach too. i mean come on man, he took the defending conference champs to the 5th game in their tourney semifinal but i mean come on they had 3, three, THREE freaking match points and they could not succeed on even one of them. i mean what more do you need. what a freaking loser. lets fire his ass

come on dude. there is so so so much more to life and success than having one more point than the other team when the buzzer goes off
                        You also have no idea what the results will be if Stig stays or if we get a new coach, no one does. Volleyball? Who was talking volleyball? Your arguments are delusional.

Centraljack90 made informed and respectful statements.
                        It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

So what you are saying is that there is no one else in the coaching universe that can run a good, clean successful program like Stig can? Stig is the only good guy out there. Why is it with people like you that anytime someone thinks that a change might be a good idea that you immediately take it as a personal attack on Stig's character? I have not read a comment where someone would like to see a change because Stig is not a good person. Also, your attempted volleyball analogy is ridiculous. 1 year vs 20+ years is not really the same.

Also noticed that it didn't take you long to throw Eck under the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post

You also have no idea what the results will be if Stig stays or if we get a new coach, no one does. Volleyball? Who was talking volleyball? Your arguments are delusional.

Centraljack90 made informed and respectful statements.
                            are you serious? you really do not understand the reference to the VB coach?

I am asking the question if you are going to fire a coach who has never had this program go anywhere but up and has been in the semi 4 of the last 5 years, what reason does another coach have to think he is going to get any support from the administration or the fans

you can make a very solid guess what you will get with stig because you have gotten the same thing for 27 years. yes the part about winning playoff games and trophies is just a guess because that is all you can do with anyone. there is ZERO PROOF that ndsu will EVER win another championship either but i think we can guess that they probably will based on track record

also based on track record we can guess that a program that has been taken from D2 mediocrity to arguably the top two and at worst top 4 or 5 programs in the country, will soon win a trophy. but also based on track record we KNOW that they will continue to develop and produce the highest quality young men that you could ever hope for!!

i would not let mike houston or kc keeler come within a million miles of my son, but ANY parent would be blessed beyond their wildest imagination to have thier son spend the time with Stig and the coaches and program he has developed that our players get to spend!!! there is ZERO space to counter that

he is one of the best men that i have ever known, and it is NOT CLOSE. yep as central mentioned he did have a very public mistake a few years back. in contrast to central supposed informed respectful statement, he DID NOT hide it or try to cover it. he admitted it and faced it head on. making mistakes does not show a lack of character. how you respond to mistakes shows character or lack of

central and others appear to want to measure success strictly by winning and losing and they are saying that Stig has worn out his welcome and it is time for somebody else to try to win. they do not care about the other things. if that is your position then just say that

central questioned his character and implied that the coach and team and athletic program and school have engaged in covering up mistakes. NOT TRUE if you do not care about character just say that and say it is time for someone else to try to win more. i disagree with you but there is no need to also try to say that his character is also questionalble

and back to the point about VB coach, what is the standard for winning? how long do these new coaches get to win a championship before we question their coaching ability and their character and fire them too

i wish you the best of luck getting good coaches to want to come to that place. i think jimmy rodgers would be an incredible choice for our next HC and i think good chance he will be. but i wonder if he would accept the job if he felt the fans and admin pushed Stig out or if they fire him

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post

So what you are saying is that there is no one else in the coaching universe that can run a good, clean successful program like Stig can? Stig is the only good guy out there. Why is it with people like you that anytime someone thinks that a change might be a good idea that you immediately take it as a personal attack on Stig's character? I have not read a comment where someone would like to see a change because Stig is not a good person. Also, your attempted volleyball analogy is ridiculous. 1 year vs 20+ years is not really the same.

Also noticed that it didn't take you long to throw Eck under the bus.
                              no intent whatsoever throwing Eck under the bus. i was saying that many people are already questioning his play calling. i cannot say that i always agree with his play calling either. that is not, however, a reason that i would want to get rid of him or that i would not hire him. i think he could be a GREAT head coach. and i guess we will find out.

if you read everything here you would see that i have said previously that i think having him do both the OC and OL job diminished both a little. however, i think overall he has done a great job here and he has helped this program to reach another level. i THANK him big time for all that he has done here and i wish him nothing but the best!!! and i think he is a person who very likely could return to brookings as the HC one day and i would be thrilled

he might be a great HC but we do not know it, as i have also said other places. stig has a track record that overall says he is a great HC and also that there is an incredibly good chance he will win some trophies.

as to you assertion that i mean stig is the only good coach. as i have also said many times i have known and do know a LOT of coaches. and i have only ever known one other coach that i would be equally happy to have my own son play for. at the same time i think a lot of the coaches who have been assistants for Stig would be and will be OR ARE also great already. we just do not have a track record for them as a HC

Comment

i know this is the football area but how about something we can all more easily agree on, WOW how much does it suck that the MBB and WBB are playing again on same day same time. and apparently that will often be the case this season. what is the point of making it impossible for fans to watch both their MBB and WBB programs

ok we can go back to FB just wanted to take a moment to remember that we are all fans of the same school. we can disagree very strongly about somethings but i am sorry for allowing some emotions to cause some statements to become somewhat personal.

i guess i will just say this. for me character is the MOST important characteristic. caring about our kids FAR beyond the field and teaching much more than a game. i have known and do know a lot of coaches and for me Stig meets this standard as well or better than anyone i have ever met or known or known about. ultimately i always ask myself would i want my own son to play for this person. and would he give my son the best chance to be the best person and player he could possibly be. would he give him the best chance to experience success first in life, second in the classroom, and third on the field

in the case of Stig the answer has always been and still is a very loud yes. you all are welcome to your own standard. and sometimes we will disagree. i will try not to let it be personal and i wish you all the best ALWAYS

Comment

Working...
                                X