No announcement yet.

Stig….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t have the time or energy to read all these posts. But we do the same thing every year. If you think we should fire Stig your delusional. Semi finals 4 out of the last 5 years and a QB injury away from a National Championship. Please stop acting like we are Alabama. We couldnt even sell out for the NDSU game this year.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

sometimes i am really not sure if i should be scared or impressed with the things that go through your mind))!!! would you want to venture some guess what the ingredients would be for that flavor
      Chunks of Nestle Crunch, peanuts (or almonds for those who prefer them), and football-shaped chocolate chunks for the kids and fans who are still "kids at heart"?

They'd also have vanilla and chocolate ice cream options for those favoring "conventional" versus arterial "killer-instinct" variations

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I wondered about Stig at one point too about 5-6 years ago. At that time we would make the playoffs but have some head scratchers during the regular season that would prevent us from getting a seed and 1st round buy.

Since that time we've seen a shift in our recruiting focus to the OL and DL. That shift correlated to the 4 semi trips in the last 5 years. I'm confident our staff is looking at what they need to do to get us over the hump.

Also, I've been around long enough to know the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
        Do you think we'll see a bit of a shift toward the secondary over the course of past couple recruiting cycles?

Comment

Originally posted by centraljack90 View Post
          Eck already said the hell with it and took off. I have a strong feeling that Jimmy will be leaving too. There is nobody better than Jimmy. Nobody more respected than Jimmy
          I'll go on record any time to say I hope Rogers is the next HC, but I think it's questionable to assert Eck's departure wasn't in motion prior to Stig's contract extension, or do you have inside information?

Comment

Was not trying to start a world war. I just wanted to voice my opinion. That's why we have a forum right?

I never said to fire Stig. I said it was selfish in signing on for 2 more years. I don't like the fact that we lost out on a possibility of a proven assistant having the opportunity to become our next H.C. I feel if he wants what is best for the program, let one of your assistants that you've groomed do it. We can all agree, the older you get the less energy you have, its a fact of life.

I didn't question his character. And I never said he tried to cover up his mistake he made. I said he and the athletic department do a good job of not letting stuff leak out or get out when it comes to off field issues with their players. Which I know happens. The same stuff happens at SDSU as it does at other colleges. So don't make it sound like our kids are perfect people. And Stig isn't any different from any of us. Not sure if there's a ranking for "best people in the world". But some of you seem to have him high on your list if there is one.

The volleyball reference I don't get, which is fine, I'm sure it made sense to some. I have no idea who is our VB coach, and frankly I don't care.

This also could all come down on the Admin. Maybe they didn't think any current assistant is qualified or good enough for the position.

I do know that the Admin (AD's, asst AD's) get a "pat on the back" if they would bring in a "big name" coach from somewhere else. Or a Coordinator from an FBS school. They don't get as much glory or praise from the public if they just promote a HC from within.

I will cheer on and support this program as I always have. I just wish we could change a few things up, getting the same results year after year and losing games that we should never lose is getting old. It's nice that we are to this level that we can think this way. We are no longer satisfied with winning a playoff game.

Listen to the post game presser with Logan Backhaus, he said, "Obviously something has to change in our program". Not sure what he meant behind that, but it was interesting to hear.

Along with Wes' comments, on how he wished they would have been able to block things up differently. Using a different scheme. Said they kind of stuck to the basics and he wished they would have changed/adapted. Any of that in part to Eck's departure? Did Eck put as much time into this weeks prep as he normally would? Not sure, its a fair question. He had early signing Day at Idaho, so this week had to of been hectic for him. Just bad timing.

Comment

I find this conversation fascinating.

To me, this is a lot like the discussion of Bo Pelini at Nebraska. Pelini had Nebraska competitive but the fanbase wanted more. Since Pelini was canned, Nebraska has only had one winning season. It is also like Kirk Ferentz Iowa. The fanbase has not been happy with Kirk at times. The admin has stayed by him and there are season where it really pays off and in general the program is in good shape.

Do I think Stig will get SDSU to NDSU territory? No. Do I think he needs to be let go? No. My fear is letting him go will get SDSU into a Nebraska type situation - always chasing a better program. I prefer being competitive with disappointment than being irrelevant (Iowa vs Nebraska).
              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

I find it sad that a program like ours can have the success they have had, numerous assistants pilfered by higher level schools, or like Eck to Head Coaching positions, and we still have fans that don't appreciate what we have.

It's Stig's job to keep, until he wants to hang the whistle up.

For those of you upset by the extension until 2025... he's 64 currently. Wait until he signs another extension in 2023.

As long as he wants the job, he'll have it. And he's earned that.

(Be careful what you wish for. Firing the Head Coach doesn't solve things as often as you think. Look at Nebraska.)

Comment

We are like the 1990 Buffalo Bills. At least that what I feel like.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Stig will retire after the 2025 season and possibly before. The Jacks next head coach, in my opinion, is likely to be:
                    1. Jimmy Rogers, former linebacker and current assistant head coach / defensive co-coordinator for the Jacks.
                    2. Dan Jackson, former assistant head coach and special teams coordinator for the Jacks, now the cornerbacks coach, pass defense coordinator and co-special teams co-coordinator at Northern Illinois.
                    3. Whoever is the assistant head coach, at the time, at NDSU or UNI.
                    4. John Johnson, former RB coach for the Jacks, now a recruiting analyst for Oklahoma State (where he played).
                    5. Zach Lujan, former quarterback and now the quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator for the Jacks.
                    6. Someone most of us have not heard of yet.
                    7. Former SDSU offensive coordinators Eric Eidsness or Jason Eck.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by centraljack90 View Post
                      Was not trying to start a world war. I just wanted to voice my opinion. That's why we have a forum right?

I never said to fire Stig. I said it was selfish in signing on for 2 more years. I don't like the fact that we lost out on a possibility of a proven assistant having the opportunity to become our next H.C. I feel if he wants what is best for the program, let one of your assistants that you've groomed do it. We can all agree, the older you get the less energy you have, its a fact of life.

I didn't question his character. And I never said he tried to cover up his mistake he made. I said he and the athletic department do a good job of not letting stuff leak out or get out when it comes to off field issues with their players. Which I know happens. The same stuff happens at SDSU as it does at other colleges. So don't make it sound like our kids are perfect people. And Stig isn't any different from any of us. Not sure if there's a ranking for "best people in the world". But some of you seem to have him high on your list if there is one.

The volleyball reference I don't get, which is fine, I'm sure it made sense to some. I have no idea who is our VB coach, and frankly I don't care.

This also could all come down on the Admin. Maybe they didn't think any current assistant is qualified or good enough for the position.

I do know that the Admin (AD's, asst AD's) get a "pat on the back" if they would bring in a "big name" coach from somewhere else. Or a Coordinator from an FBS school. They don't get as much glory or praise from the public if they just promote a HC from within.

I will cheer on and support this program as I always have. I just wish we could change a few things up, getting the same results year after year and losing games that we should never lose is getting old. It's nice that we are to this level that we can think this way. We are no longer satisfied with winning a playoff game.

Listen to the post game presser with Logan Backhaus, he said, "Obviously something has to change in our program". Not sure what he meant behind that, but it was interesting to hear.

Along with Wes' comments, on how he wished they would have been able to block things up differently. Using a different scheme. Said they kind of stuck to the basics and he wished they would have changed/adapted. Any of that in part to Eck's departure? Did Eck put as much time into this weeks prep as he normally would? Not sure, its a fair question. He had early signing Day at Idaho, so this week had to of been hectic for him. Just bad timing.

I dont think i will make a lot more comments about this. i feel like if you are looking at all the different threads and things i have said recently as well as historically, i think my thoughts on this are pretty clear. so i am not going to keep saying them over and over, every time somebody else makes a comment and i am guessing some here are tired of seeing them

i will say again, that i want to do a better job of keeping to the topic and not letting it be personal, and i apologized before as i felt some of what i said before could have seemed personal.

yes you are correct! you have every right to your opinion. i simply could barely disagree with you more but i think you and i have different priorities.

i have said it many times, when i was coaching my prioritiies were ALWAYS to teach my kids to be the best people first above everything else. and when my kids asked for my help with recruiting i tried to help them get to a place that matched with their own goals but i made it clear to them unless they told me differently that i would try to help them get to a school that would care about them and grow them first as a person, second as a student, and third as an athlete

unless you have a LOT of information, i really wish you would be careful about saying SDSU is the same as EVERY other school, regarding the character of the coaches and athletes and indicating that the exact same amount of crap goes on here as every place. i 100% disagree with that and i am going to guess i have experience with a lot more OTHER coaches, and players, and programs than you do and any implication of every place is the same is totally wrong

OF COURSE, the athletic program has LOTS of kids, so sure some crap goes on. and obviously our kids and coaches make mistakes. but character matters to the core in our FB program and in every athletic program that i know about at SDSU. and i am very sorry to say it but that is absolutely not the case at other schools. i have known and do know too many coaches who think the kids are simply there to win games for them and add to their records. i want to say so much more about this but i am not going to. again i have said a lot of it before

so with my stated priorities of person first, student second, athlete third we currently have as good a coach as i would ever EVER hope for. are there other good ones of course and will we get another good one when he goes. i definitely think so but part of that belief is based on idea that i almost guarantee we hire someone who has been trained by the current HC

lastly, your assertion that we get the same thing every year. we were a barely average D2 program. we have become an EVERY year playoff team at the D1 level. at first we just got in but shortly we were winning at least one game every year in postseason. moved up to first round byes and hosting games, moved up to making semi finals. next step in theory would have been make final and maybe lose a few times. how many did shsu lose before winning? how many other schools have lost multiple finals without winning??

there are no guarantees and we cannot say it 100% but i very VERY strongly believe if Grono does not go down we skip the step of get to final and lose. i believe we would have won in the spring. and some people talk about an asterisk next to that season but i believe without him getting hurt we win again this fall and that totally validates the spring and then you would be cheering for the back to back champs instead of wanting the coach gone

can we guarantee? NOPE but can you think of one of the games we had this fall that you think we lose with Grono at QB even with the other injuries. i really do not. and even with the injuries we had on D i thought all year our problems were caused on the offense side of the ball. the defense really only gave up enough points for us to expect to lose on one occasion, SIU

if the offense was doing their thing they were scoring over 30 a game and i think we gave up over 20 about 5 or 6 times and over 30 only once. anyway it is not the same thing every year. we have progressed constantly and i believe would have won it all. we will be right there with anyone again in the fall. i cannot give you a guarantee but i believe the next step will be taken

but as far as the things that i believe are most important our FB program is a giant success and there is really ONLY ONE school that you can guarantee would not want to trade places with us, and at most there are 3-5 others

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

I dont think i will make a lot more comments about this. i feel like if you are looking at all the different threads and things i have said recently as well as historically, i think my thoughts on this are pretty clear. so i am not going to keep saying them over and over, every time somebody else makes a comment and i am guessing some here are tired of seeing them

i will say again, that i want to do a better job of keeping to the topic and not letting it be personal, and i apologized before as i felt some of what i said before could have seemed personal.

yes you are correct! you have every right to your opinion. i simply could barely disagree with you more but i think you and i have different priorities.

i have said it many times, when i was coaching my prioritiies were ALWAYS to teach my kids to be the best people first above everything else. and when my kids asked for my help with recruiting i tried to help them get to a place that matched with their own goals but i made it clear to them unless they told me differently that i would try to help them get to a school that would care about them and grow them first as a person, second as a student, and third as an athlete

unless you have a LOT of information, i really wish you would be careful about saying SDSU is the same as EVERY other school, regarding the character of the coaches and athletes and indicating that the exact same amount of crap goes on here as every place. i 100% disagree with that and i am going to guess i have experience with a lot more OTHER coaches, and players, and programs than you do and any implication of every place is the same is totally wrong

OF COURSE, the athletic program has LOTS of kids, so sure some crap goes on. and obviously our kids and coaches make mistakes. but character matters to the core in our FB program and in every athletic program that i know about at SDSU. and i am very sorry to say it but that is absolutely not the case at other schools. i have known and do know too many coaches who think the kids are simply there to win games for them and add to their records. i want to say so much more about this but i am not going to. again i have said a lot of it before

so with my stated priorities of person first, student second, athlete third we currently have as good a coach as i would ever EVER hope for. are there other good ones of course and will we get another good one when he goes. i definitely think so but part of that belief is based on idea that i almost guarantee we hire someone who has been trained by the current HC

lastly, your assertion that we get the same thing every year. we were a barely average D2 program. we have become an EVERY year playoff team at the D1 level. at first we just got in but shortly we were winning at least one game every year in postseason. moved up to first round byes and hosting games, moved up to making semi finals. next step in theory would have been make final and maybe lose a few times. how many did shsu lose before winning? how many other schools have lost multiple finals without winning??

there are no guarantees and we cannot say it 100% but i very VERY strongly believe if Grono does not go down we skip the step of get to final and lose. i believe we would have won in the spring. and some people talk about an asterisk next to that season but i believe without him getting hurt we win again this fall and that totally validates the spring and then you would be cheering for the back to back champs instead of wanting the coach gone

can we guarantee? NOPE but can you think of one of the games we had this fall that you think we lose with Grono at QB even with the other injuries. i really do not. and even with the injuries we had on D i thought all year our problems were caused on the offense side of the ball. the defense really only gave up enough points for us to expect to lose on one occasion, SIU

if the offense was doing their thing they were scoring over 30 a game and i think we gave up over 20 about 5 or 6 times and over 30 only once. anyway it is not the same thing every year. we have progressed constantly and i believe would have won it all. we will be right there with anyone again in the fall. i cannot give you a guarantee but i believe the next step will be taken

but as far as the things that i believe are most important our FB program is a giant success and there is really ONLY ONE school that you can guarantee would not want to trade places with us, and at most there are 3-5 others

Agree with you on many topics. Appreciate your comments.
                        Your 5th paragraph; don't want to be in a _______ measuring contest. I am careful for what I say, and stand behind it. We can discuss over a beverage sometime if you really wish. I'm just opening some peoples eyes that think we are the cleanest, best program and deserve a certificate for our team being best in character all because of Coach Stig.

Thankful we have a program that many care about.
                        Since Coach Stig is sticking around, I hope that there isn't too much shake up with the current staff. I think we'll know by Wednesday/Thursday of anyone leaving/staying. Or possibly positions being filled.

My last post about this topic! RunRabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

I guess we are who Stig picks as his coaches, since he's quoted as saying "I let my coaches coach" after a bad loss. I hope he chooses a replacement wisely if Eck leaves. The question in my mind after he said that is," is Stig just a figurehead ?", the person who signs the checks? I don't know, maybe someone can tell us more. Maybe we're not supposed to know? Or to each his own interpretation I guess.

I think we're all a little disappointed now, and lingering questions in someone's mind tend to come out in these circumstances, otherwise, they're neatly tucked away as "unimportant" when things are going well.
                          Put yourself as a supervisor or owner of company. You hire people you trust to work and report to you and help achieve the company goals. You make sure that all the departments (position groups/coaches) are on the same page, have the same goals, and are moving in the same direction. You step in to help as needed, but your job is not to run each department individually - you've already hired people to do that. You're job is to make sure all the departments work together to keep the ship sailing in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

I guess we are who Stig picks as his coaches, since he's quoted as saying "I let my coaches coach" after a bad loss. I hope he chooses a replacement wisely if Eck leaves. The question in my mind after he said that is," is Stig just a figurehead ?", the person who signs the checks? I don't know, maybe someone can tell us more. Maybe we're not supposed to know? Or to each his own interpretation I guess.

I think we're all a little disappointed now, and lingering questions in someone's mind tend to come out in these circumstances, otherwise, they're neatly tucked away as "unimportant" when things are going well.
                            I believe I've heard Stig say that after wins as well.

Comment

If we fire Stig.... 5% chance we move up from a consistent top 5 team to a consistent top 1-2 team. 5% chance we remain a consistent top 5 team. 60% chance we get worse but remain a consistent top 25 team. 30% chance we get worse and become a consistently unranked team. I guess I'll take the safe odds and keep Stig, but that's also why I'm not a gambler.

I find it kind of funny that we arguing about firing a coach who has led a traditionally bad D2 program to 10 consecutive FCS playoff appearances, 4 out of the last 5 semifinals, and a runner up. Is Georgia arguing about firing Kirby Smart because they can never beat Alabama?

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                                If we fire Stig.... 5% chance we move up from a consistent top 5 team to a consistent top 1-2 team. 5% chance we remain a consistent top 5 team. 60% chance we get worse but remain a consistent top 25 team. 30% chance we get worse and become a consistently unranked team. I guess I'll take the safe odds and keep Stig, but that's also why I'm not a gambler.

I find it kind of funny that we arguing about firing a coach who has led a traditionally bad D2 program to 10 consecutive FCS playoff appearances, 4 out of the last 5 semifinals, and a runner up. Is Georgia arguing about firing Kirby Smart because they can never beat Alabama?
                                I'm not sure where your percentages come from or how you came up with them but it doesn't say much for the assistant coaches that have been groomed under Stig's leadership. I'm sure Jimmy Rogers will be thrilled to find out that there is a 90% chance that the team is going to get worse if he would ever get promoted to head coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X