NCAA FCS Championship - Semifinals @ Montana State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by witness View Post
    Woke up still baffled that Oladukon did the softest play of all time and slid 3 yards short of first when he could have got a TD. The fact he even signaled first down just makes it even worse
    Seem to recall a QB not fighting for a TD and leaving team shortly thereafter, so can we temper the "softest" hyperbole?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      The points about sliding too soon are valid, but if he doesn't slide and takes a hit that knocks him out of the game, the Jacks have to play 55 minutes with Heide or Voss playing QB. And there would be a bunch of people on here asking why the hell he didn't slide.
      It’s the semis on the road… not week 1…
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

This…and honestly I realize that when Voss was in the plays weren’t great but I don’t know that the level of play was significantly worse.

I appreciate what Chris did this year and can say I highly doubt we make the semi’s if he isn’t our QB but it’s the playoffs. Win or go home, last play type stuff. Unless the coaches are in his ear saying DO NOT take a hit running. His scramble for a first down out of bounds late in the game, smart play. I also was surprised Anderson didn’t stop him from getting out of bounds.

All moot points now of course but isn’t speculation what happens after a disappointing loss…especially one that ends a season.

Comment

This is my take on the slide, too. When you only have one or two games left in your career, You should leave it all on the line.

I do have to say I was wrong about running the ball about 66% of the time in the game to win (of course I said 50 yards in penelties- check and 1 or less TO- minus). When Montana State has as many players at the line of scrimmage as they did, you have to throw the ball. They could not stop the TE's all day. SDSU averaged about 14 yards a completion and 9 yards an attempt. You have to take what the defense giives you, unless you have a QB who can make plays like Montana State did.
          I guess you could say SDSU turned it over 5 times. INT, fumble and 3 times by not making it on 4th down. You don't win many games turning it over that many times. Espically against good teams, on the road after traveling as much as SDSU did.

Comment

• So my pick for winner was not correct...but the factors in the game I mentioned probably came into play. Your pass coverage was not good. Noticed this in our game...we really took ourselves out of that game (not minimizing your win against us...it was thorough and complete). If Montana St ran a traditional run offense you guys would have killed them...but relying almost exclusively on that qb helped them...although they never could have done that for a whole season...the qb change worked out for them.

I think the constant trips hitting every time zone was enough to do you guys in. Not sure if the crowd noise played a factor but I'm thinking it had to have an impact. I am convinced the vastly superior team lost, but that happens sometimes. I feel very fortunate to not have to face you guys in Frisco. Only two teams scared me once we hit the playoffs...you guys and JMU. If Vigen can develop Tommy Touchdown, I think Montana St will be one of the top teams next year.

Congrats on making the semis as an unseeded team...not an easy feat.

Comment

• Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
              So my pick for winner was not correct...but the factors in the game I mentioned probably came into play. Your pass coverage was not good. Noticed this in our game...we really took ourselves out of that game (not minimizing your win against us...it was thorough and complete). If Montana St ran a traditional run offense you guys would have killed them...but relying almost exclusively on that qb helped them...although they never could have done that for a whole season...the qb change worked out for them.

I think the constant trips hitting every time zone was enough to do you guys in. Not sure if the crowd noise played a factor but I'm thinking it had to have an impact. I am convinced the vastly superior team lost, but that happens sometimes. I feel very fortunate to not have to face you guys in Frisco. Only two teams scared me once we hit the playoffs...you guys and JMU. If Vigen can develop Tommy Touchdown, I think Montana St will be one of the top teams next year.

Congrats on making the semis as an unseeded team...not an easy feat.
              Thank you for the input TAB. I like reading posts from other teams fans. You will get some crazy off the wall posts but you get them from all teams fans, even SDSU's (look at the fire Stig post- the fans are on both sides so somebody has to be crazy depending on what side you are on). Your posts seem to be fairly unbiased and honest.

I do agree about SDSU's pass coverage. My memory isn't very good but when was the last SDSU had a pair of solid CB's? Normally it seems like there is one and then they rotate at the other because nobody stands out. I wish nobody stood out because there were tons of great options but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Montana State's QB would not last a season playing like that in the MVFC. He would get killed. That is part of the reason why I didn't mind Chris not running all season. I thought that he was a runner before he got to SDSU but with what happened to Gronowski, Gibbs and Christion; I understood. BUT, when you are playing in the semifinals (your senior year), I thought he would run more aggresivly as the season wore on. I was wrong!

This is where the injures and slip-ups hurt SDSU. If they are not missing four defensive starters and Davis, you hold on to beat S. Illinois. They might beat UNI but who knows. They did have most of those players back for USD but there was a bonehead play that cost them that game. You win any of those games and you get a seed. You get a bye week and a home game in round #2. They do not travel to three different time zones, to three seeded teams and two conference champs.

Comment

Working...
              X