Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruits

sodak ... that first line made me laugh. After a tough day it's good to smile. So, I will join jackmd in a happy place.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
      I believe there will be other athletes (not like Josh, he was a one in a billion find) who will come here, surprise everyone, and end up in the NFL.  Look at Timmerman.  Why didn't Iowa offer him a scholarship?  Or, how about Steve Heiden?  Where was the University of Minnesota on that deal?  And, how many schools blew it on Adam Vinatieri?  He probably came to SDSU on less than half a scholarship.
      Recruiting is an "inexact science" at best. The above reference prove that. Consider this, Timmerman was a walk-on recruited by Wayne Haensel. Vinatieri initially went to West Point I believe and left for SDSU before the start of his freshman year, also had offer from Wyoming (he was on more than a half scholarship though). And Steve Heiden was being recruited as a basketball player out of high school, thus no DI football offers came his way.

My only problem with the "hidden gem" theory in SDSU's recent history, is where are Stig's hidden gems. Timmerman was a Haensel recruit who would not be in the NFL had Mike Daly's staff convinced him to play his 6th year. Vinatieri, Heiden and Ranek were all recruited by Daly's staff. I'm not trying to preach Mike Daly as recruiting guru (a person could get hung for that). I'm just trying to point out that SDSU has been lacking that "next-level" player under the current head coach. I'll give Stig this, his two best NFL prospects (Brock Zierden and Matt Rock) both quit football before realizing their potential.

Comment

Maybe DesCamps just decided he liked St. Cloud and felt it offered him the best opportunity to play immediately. I would like to see us get every top player out of the South Dakota, but if they don't want to be with us then I will take a good player no matter where they are from as long as they want to contribute to the future success of SDSU. I would be surprised if Coach Stig did not persue DesCamps aggressively. If people like Sodak Fan want to base our recruiting success on how many South Dakota kids committ than I don't think they are true fans of SDSU. I don't understand the Ranek comment, but who knows if he would have even committed to SDSU if he and other schools had any idea how good he would become.

Comment

Ben Studer I believe is the closest resemblence of a hidden gem. Ben has gotten a lot of recognition on all star teams etc. I do not know if he has any interest in the NFL or if any NFL franchises are interested in Studer. I think under Stig and he told me so himself that SDSU has lost a lot of close recruiting battles to a good friend from his days at Northern, namely Dale Lennon UND head coach.

UND has had too many sodaks on their roster IMHO. SDSU has only had the Anderson Brothers from Wahpeon, and from there we have to reach way back to Ted Wahl from Jametown. Other than that SDSU has no Nodaks and we have stayed out of North Dakota. It sure isnt an exact science by any means.

I would rather see Deschamps go to SCSU than UND.

I can't see why it is that South Dakota kids want to go to the center of Spring Break for students from Canada, namely Grand Forks, North Dakota.

I remember in 1990 I believe when the mens regional was hosted by UND, SDSU fans had to stay in Fargo because all the Canuks were holding their spring break in GF ;D : 8)

Comment

I only know one emotion (or place as sodakfan prefers to call it), the appropriate one.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think the point everyone is ignoring is that DesCamps chose a Division 2 school over D1AA St. Cloud State.. What does that say??????

Comment

Originally posted by willmar
                I think the point everyone is ignoring is that DesCamps chose a Division 2 school over D1AA St. Cloud State.. What does that say??????

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Here is the skinny (I think): Jacks like Tyson (camp MVP etc.), find they may need to accelerate rb development due to attrition (remember, 1st semester grades just out) go to plan B (Juco) meanwhile SCS is lathered up as DesCamps has been their #1 all along, they offer the moon and the rest is history. (all just a guess) :P

Comment

Interesting theory. I have to believe there are other factors at play, too. Perhaps he had a relative attend St. Cloud, or maybe a friend (which could include girls!) is going there. Let's face it, a 17 or 18 year old young man does not think the same way a 40 year old thinks. He may not want to share the real reason(s) for his decision. It's all a part of the crap shoot.

Comment

Coach Stig has received 2 commitments that I have heard. Eric Schroeder from Stewartville, MN, a 6'4" 240lb DE and Kevin Robling from Jordan, MN a 6'3" 250 OL. Sound like both of these guys can play.
                      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/4336183.html

Matt DeGeest, DE, (6-6, 260), Harrisburg, S.D.

looks like the gophs got some guy from SD.. anybody know what other schools the kid was looking at?

Comment

I have identified another player who has given the Jacks a verbal committment and is expected to sign next month. He is 5'11 180lb running back Brock Gentile of Council Bluffs Iowa. The quote from Iowa Preps was "it appears SDSU was able to come into Iowa and take another of the better athletes. He was being recruited by Iowa,Kansas,UNI,UNO,NW Missouri,USD and Nebraska. Go Jacks. There are others from Iowa that list the Jacks as still in the running.

Comment

Originally posted by somebison.
                            http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/4336183.html

Matt DeGeest, DE, (6-6, 260), Harrisburg, S.D.

looks like the gophs got some guy from SD.. anybody know what other schools the kid was looking at?
                            I wonder where the Argus Leader was on this guy. Harrisburg is partically a suburb of Sioux Falls and yet DeGeest did not even make honorable mention on their Elite 45 List.

SDSU had his brother for a couple of years and he transferred to U of Sioux Falls. I never heard the reason for transfer, but his brother appeared to be moving up the depth chart when he transferred. It looks like the younger brother has more size and maybe speed?

Comment

It shows you how much the Elite 45 really means.

Comment

Some other recruiting tibits from Iowa Preps.com. Jacks are still in the running for Zac Brouillette of Sioux City North 6'3 1/2 215 4.6 40 Defensive Back.

Joel Osborn Quarterback out of Harlan Iowa chose N.W Missouri State over SDSU.

On the Basketball front Lee Nelson of Northwood Kensett Ia 6'4 180 is considering SDSU,Iowa,UNI and Drake. 19.7 a game.

Comment

Working...
                                X