Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruits

I belive you can win with South Dakota atheletes!! and as to what is going on at Northern, just call anyone you know that lives in Aberdeen and ask them what they think of the Wolves Football. Also, go to iowapreps.com and read the bio, in my opinion it indicates a fairly low probability of sucess, not that it is always bad to give a chance to a high risk player because, as you pointed out, the rewards can be very high.

Comment

Originally posted by sodakfan
      Yikes!!  I am NOT a USeD Fan at all!!!!!!!  I am a fan from South Dakota and prefer SDSU!  I just don't want SDSU to become a bigger version of what's going on at Northern.
      sodakfan,

please except my apologies for misrepresenting you, your user name threw me.  I know I wouldn't want to be called a coyote, sorry again.  :-[

Go State!

Comment

You might be able to win in the NSIC with a majority of South Dakota athletes its simply not going to happen at the DI level. If Aberdeen has a couple of solid athletes that can contribute at SDSU great. We do need no capture every athlete that has that kind of talent in the state as now they have a DI option in South Dakota. The fact is we have too small of population to produce the number of great athletes it will take to be successfull. How many DI athletes does South Dakota produce a year 3 maybe 4? I don't throw around the race card very loosely but its sad that your views are more pervasive than I care to admit. What kind of racial mix would be acceptable to you as its apparent that is your real issue here .

Comment

Hold it Pal, race hasss absolutly nothing to do with this!!! >To be called a Coyote fan and racist in the same day I think you should remember that d-1aa is a heck of a lot different than d-1a!! We are not going to be playing in the Big Ten or the Big Twelve. In my opinion the upper tier of the NCC the past few years could compete nicely with the d-1aa's of the world. I should add here that I am 100% in favor of the move to 1-aa, I just don't think we need go far away from our normal recruiting practices. And if our roster starts to look 80-90% out of state, and we bring in a bunch of jucos, watch the citizens of this State shut us down.

Comment

I don't think anyone said we are going to go beyond our normal recruiting stomping grounds. The difference is we need to find a higher caliber athlete in those areas. I don't think a kid that possesses DIAA talent and happens to be in Des Moines should be ignored. The bar has been raised and if the kid from South Dakota who was typically recruited by NCC schools wants to compete for SDSU or NDSU they will have to raise their level of abilities to participate. I hope South Dakota kids are well represented on our varsity athletic teams, however I follow SDSU as an institution and when someone puts on that SDSU uniform they represent SDSU and the state of South Dakota and I could care less if they are from Bell Fourche,Bell Plaine or Detroit. I hope the majority of SDSU fans feel the same way and their loyalties will not change based on a percentage of players who happen to be born in our fair state. SDSU has never been an institution that has relied on the Junior Colleges for athletes, however I would not be surprised if there will be some athletes who can meet the academic standards at SDSU that will come from that avenue as well. Remember Football is the only sport that we will compete at the DIAA level as the rest of the sports we will be competing against DIA competition and will have to find athletes that can compete at that level!

Comment

Very well written post, and I believe it highlights our differences.
              I support the move to d-1 because I believe our SD kids can compete with anyone given a level playing field. I belived SDSU 's move to d-1 would provide that vehicle. South Dakota kids taking on all comers.
              What I get from you is that it's ok to bring in anyone and call them SD. You really don't believe we can compete, however we are good enough to give them tax dollars in the for of athletic scholarships. And as you say, hopefully a SD kid here and there can make the team.

I have more faith in our talent.

Comment

I think there are certain sports that if the best home talent stays in the state we can compete such as (womens basketball). I think the Mike Miller's of the world come along once in a blue moon and most choose to go out of state (maybe a DI school with tradition will
                change that) and that is based on the sheer numbers game that we are not a very large populated state and will not on a consistent basis produce a large number of athletes that can compete at this level. I also think South Dakota for the size of its population has way to many four year schools and its spreads the talent out to thin. How do you feel about the large numbers if students that gain a degree (with your tax dollars) and then leave the state forever without giving anything back to the state? How long will people follow SDSU if they follow your agenda and have 80-90% South Dakota kids and lose on a consistent basis? I'm a former athlete from South Dakota and admire people's pride and enthusiasm for their state and the people in it. The world is getting a little bigger with the move to DI and we need to expand our views and horizons. Take a look at rosters of teams in Nebrasks,Iowa,Montana,Wyoming and you will find a mix of local talent and people from regions of the country that compliment what can be found in-state.

Comment

First off Jackguy, I wish to retract the rather sharp tone of my previous posts, I am at work and time is short for me. Obviously we both share a love of SDSU and the State of SD. We both have to trust the judgement of the various coaches involved and hope that this experiment works. There are many critics around this state that predict failure, that's why the next few yeears are extemely imprortant. We also have to hope that all the negativity will not frighten off quality SD players. I know firsthand that DesCamps Father has been told every d-1aa horror story by coaches from rival teams. Time will tell :-/

Comment

No problem. I enjoy people who have a passion for something wheter I agree with them or not. There are too many people I know that have total apathy and don't stand for anything. If I was off base on the racist comment I apologize, but you have to admit I know them and you know them that there are a lot of people who will have a problem with a number of minorities representing SDSU and I think that is sad. As long as they are good citizens I don't care what color or tribe they belong. On another topic who is the small reciever with blazing speed who played for Aberdeen Central in the Championship game and is SDSU recruiting him? I currently live in the Twin Cities and while we have always recruited well in Minnesota I'm confident we can get the next level of recruit out of Minnesota. There are a ton of quality players that go to small DI schools outside the state and with only one DI school in Minnesota this should continue to be a natural recruiting hotbed. The basketball in this state has really improved and there are a lot of good players. If you get a chance to see the Gophers Kris Humphries is certainly one of the best freshman in the country averaging 20 points and double digit rebounds. He was a McDonalds all-american and recruited by every major college and chose Duke only to reverse and stay home to play for the Gophers.

Comment

The small, fast receiver from Central is Brian Jark. He is a really good, no question. I think his plans are to attend either UND or NDSU, for some reason he never has seriously considered SDSU. Getting back to the DesCamps kid, his 100 meter time was faster than Jarks last spring, Tyson ran 11.11 electronic and Jark ran around 11.28. I was on a tour of Roncalli's weight room and saw a sign stating that Tyson had benched over 325 and squated over 505!!! I pray he says NO to North Dakota!!

Comment

Recruiting is about getting the best athletes out there that will make a commitment to come to SDSU.  I dont think ther is going to be in the future nor has there ever been any kind of a quota system.

Probably because of our racial make-up in the state of South Dakota, some athletes of color have avoided SDSU.  I think at a higher level and more financial aid available, these good athletes are more likely to be recruited.

Our coaching staff knows who and what they need and they go for whose out there without in a EEOC fashion.  A less talented South Dakota athlete may not be recruited, but that is not to say we should not go for the best such as Descamps.

If fans feel there is some quota system working in recruiting they are very mistaken.  Its about getting the best, and if the best happens to have South Dakota address, then great.  

I dont think a South Dakota address should a influence choice, but sometimes it may if the choice  brings more butts in the seats.  This seems to be more noticeable in basketball than football.

Alumguy mention Matt Beier from Wisconsin and what a great athlete he was.  You may wonder why we havent gotten more athletes from Wisconsin and the explaination that I received was  reciposity between SD-Wisconsin does not exist, we would have a budget buster if we went over to Wisconsin every year and recruited 10 to 12 players.  It could be done, but it would not fit the current D2 football budget.  This is where I have a problem with our current program. These constraints produce a 7-4 season at best and we always blame the coach when we win less than 7.

I see going beyond our state borders with the move to D1AA.  It should be about talent and academic ability and not about addresses.

The FES people(Flat Earth Society folks that oppose D1AA) in South Dakota cry out for an all South Dakota roster.  What heck we are beyond the Bob Wachs era, we need to go find the best talent and not worry about were they are from.

Comment

Amen SDSU fan. I can't understand why some of the best South Dakota kids continue to head north while we are not seeing that migration south. The point made above that we should focus on primarily South Dakota kids doesn't hold water when we can't even keep some of the best going to a nearby states universities.

Comment

For too many years many of our best student-athletes have gone to North Dakota. Why? There seems to be a serious lack of state pride. Even many of our high school coaches will encourage their kids to go north because they might not like at a coach at a particular school. Look at Fred Tibbetts, S.F. Roosevelt's coach. He is well-known for bringing the wrath of God on any of his girls who consider going to SDSU.

It's time our high school coaches start encouraging our student-athletes to consider an in-state school. Stupid petty personal agendas get in the way.

Comment

I also fault the SDSU coaches if they are not connecting with the student athletes and high school coaches. Tibbitts is a jerk plain and simple! I think the lack of pride is an issue. Some kids want to simply get away and experience something new however I doubt with all due respect to North Dakota they will find anything that different in North Dakota. The starting quarterback and reciever from UND were both from South Dakota. I think upgrading our football facilities at SDSU will help. Would like to check how many South Dakota athletes on roster at UND and NDSU vs USD and SDSU.

Comment

facilities, facilities, facilities!!! I attended several games at Brookings this year and while the band was better, the crowd livelier etc. our faciilities are no match for UND. If we are going to be serious about d-1, we must upgrade the entire athletic complex. If I were a hs sr. and was being flattered by both sets of coaches, it would be hard to stay "home". But now we have increased scholarships! I still say keep all the good ones, then look around.

Comment

Working...
                                X