2005 Football schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2005 Football schedule

I agree that an annual game (especially) a Great Western Conference game at Howard Wood Field would be huge. The media attention and exposure could do wonders for showing the states largest city what DIAA Football is all about. As I have mentioned on another post there is a good crop of DI calibre players in the Sioux Falls metro area that will graduate this year and I'm sure they would love to compete on their home turf once a year. Speaking of turf for those who have not seen the new Field Turf at Howard Field it is outstanding. The school board has also approved improvements to the restrooms and concession areas that will be ready for next year. I agree that a game in Sioux Falls could draw a huge crowd that would easily exceed the 10,000 capacity. I have to believe you could make arrangements to expand the numbers by putting temporary bleachers in the endzone. Many people have said including myself if we can win over the sportsfan in Sioux Falls that has no allegiances but just looking for good entertainment we can sell out Frost and Coughlin on a regular basis. Sioux Falls is growing at a rate of 3,000 per year and many of these people are new to the area and can be won over with the right product. If Augie and USD won't play us in Sioux Falls lets bring in a superior team than either one of them can be field anyway. I also see big opportunities if the proposed 12,000 seat downtown arena is built downtown.

Comment

..... not really very many DI caliber players in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        Howard Wood seats about 10,000.  
        Save at least 4 of those seats for me.  I love Brookings but would happily attend a game in Sioux Falls.  It really wouldn't be much of a trip for the college students and if the university is thinking they will arrange some buses to transport students to the game.  Any chance alcohol would be allowed at Howard Wood?  Its off campus.  Not suggesting anything, just asking.

There may be more DIAA caliber athletes than you think.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Doubt there would be any alcohol at Howard Wood, it is owned and operated by the Sioux Falls School District.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I disagree there are not many DIAA calibre players in the state and specifically Sioux Falls. I think anyone who has seen the two teams battling for the AA championship this weekend O'Gorman and Roosevelt will see size,speed and kids that can flat out play. Roosevelt, O'Gorman,Washington,Brandon Valley and West Central dominated most of the teams they played.Either the talent in the rest of the state was down or the talent in and around Sioux Falls is way up.

Comment

I think the population numbers/shift are beginning to have an effect on football in the state. There are just so many more kids in and around SF that the depth and overall quality is better here, IMO. This may be an odd year, and Spearfish did win it last year, but it really appears that there has a been a definite shift in overall talent. You won't see it in basketball because 3 studs can carry you a long way in that sport, but three studs in football, without anything else doesn't get you very far.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Well, I guess we will see when they start signing letters of intent this winter. My guess is there will only be 1 or 2 that go higher than D2.

Comment

I for one am very excited with the schedule as we know it to be so far. The Jacks have had an outstanding freshman season and I look forward to having GSU and the California teams come to SD to play.

I do not mind playing the two games in S.F. for some good PR both in the state and abroad. However, I would hate it if the Jacks started losing their Brookings identity. The home of SDSU is and always should be Brookings. We have a very nice stadium and with some of the rumored improvements on the horizon it should be a fantastic place to show case for years to come.

I must admit to being a Div I sceptic when the decision was first made but I now embrace it very proudly. The Jacks have a bright new future on the horizon. It will make us all want to shout GO JACKS!!!!!!! ;D

Comment

I just received my "Jacks Flash" newsletter. I noticed the Texas St. game is still on the schedule with the date TBA in San Marcos, TX. I hope we can keep this game.
                    UW-LaCrosse is scheduled for Sep 3 in Brookings (first game of the year)

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                      I just received my "Jacks Flash" newsletter. I noticed the Texas St. game is still on the schedule with the date TBA in San Marcos, TX. I hope we can keep this game.
                      UW-LaCrosse is scheduled for Sep 3 in Brookings (first game of the year)
                      I really am not happy to to see UW-Lacrosse on the schedule, but with the number of home games scheduled, I got a feeling that the guarentee line in football budget will probably be at an all-time high in payouts, which means we need more tickets to be sold.
                      I suspect, there were no D1AA teams available for Sept 3 home or away, and the guarentee fee for UW-Lacrosse would be much less than one for UW-Madison.
                      ;D ;D
                      I have no idea what the dollar amount would be but it has to be less than $25,000. Assuming it is 25k and at current ticket rate of 12 per game SDSU would need to sell 2080 tickets to pay the guarentee and anything above would be gravy. So finanically this game will work.

Since UW-Lacrosse beat USD in 2003 and almost beat them again in the DakotaDome, I think we will have a good start for the season.

Since SSI is not a factor during the reclassification period, now is the time to play them and get it overwith.
                      I doubt SDSU will be traveling to Lacrosse in 2006.

Comment

Instead of going into a Cal Davis caliber team (Montana) right away, they will have two games to sharpen their skills.

The added home game and ticket sales is another positive.

Also it's another tough schedule and this game should make it easier to have another chance at a winning season.

Comment

I understand the need and the benefits to scheduling a UW-Lacrosse team at the beginning of the season. Heck, we started the year against UW-Stout in '98 and before that used SD Tech as warm ups. But, now that we're D1 and have spent the better part of the year ridiculing USD (at least I have) for playing a cupcake schedule, I feel a little swarmy about scheduling a non-scholarship DIII team. I just hope we beat them by 50 or we'll never hear the end of it.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Consider it an exhibition game for FB ;D ;D ;D

Comment

I too wish UW-L wasnt on the schedule, but I guess I understand it. It will be nice to have two tune up games before we meet the Griz. I bet the guarantee is'nt anywhere close to $25,000. One reason is they have cheap travel to Brookings (Bus) and another is they are DIII and really arent in a position to ask for much. Southern paid us $50,000 for this years game and SU gets a ton of revenue for filling that 30,000 seat stadium. (SDSU had to come by charter flight and we were D1AA). I am not "in the know" but I would be surprised if UW-L gets a penny more than $10,000.

Comment

Texas Jack:
                                You are probably right, I think 25K would the absolute maximum and perhaps overly generous. If its about 10k, then that lowers the bar as far as ticket sales to break even. If SDSU promotes like in the past, maybe a 5000 to 7000 of ticket purchasing crowd, the end result will be a positive cash flow and thats what is needed for every game for the next five years.
                                I not counting students and season ticket holders in the crowd count since they have prepaid with student fees and season tickets. This revenue is already money in the bank, but who and how many show up at the ticket booth on game day are the most critical part of moving forward with ticket revenues from football games.

I know over on D2football some of the Winona fans kind of chidded USD for playing UW Lacrosse and they mentioned that Winona stopped playing Lacroose. Dont recall off hand why, but they are miles apart.

Milwaukee Jack mentioned playing UW-Stout in 98. I believe the Usd coach Ed Mierkort was the Stout coach at that time. I think we will get a good game from UW-Lacrosse, although it would be better to have Winoa SU come to Brookings again.

Comment

Working...
                                X