2005 Football schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2005 Football schedule

I heard a rumor this week that the Texas State game is now in doubt. There are two stories going around, I like the second one best because the first sounds too much like a cover for the second.

First, their outgoing AD scheduled a game that week and left and didn't tell anyone, so they ended up with 2 games scheduled .

Second, when they scheduled the game with us they were looking for a cupcake D1AA game. Considering our showing this year they are looking to back out ;D

Comment

Two more things:

I heard there is a home game on Sept 3 about to be done. I think it is going to be against a DIII Wisconsin school

Hobo Day has been changed to the Missouri-Rolla game. There is a big soccer tournament in Brookville the weekend of the Davis game so no motel rooms left. This leaves the door to be open to moving Davis to Sioux Falls.

Comment

I did hear about a California team. So the Davis game is probably one.

Comment

I really hope that Texas St game is'nt cancelled, I was really looking forward to that one!! I also hope we dont schedule ANY of those DIII Wisconsin schools. I would think we could get a D1AA team. or at the very least a D2 school if we had to. I would even prefer to travel as opposed to playing one of the seemingly 100 UW-Whatever colleges in Brookings (actually, I think there are like ten that play football, but I was trying to make a point)

Comment

Scheduling is not an easy task. From what little I have learned every game home and away is supported with a written contract, that indicates who pays travel and how much.  There could be hangups in this and when an outgoing AD makes contracts, that is a problem.

A solid conference of 10 members does make scheduling easier.  For that reason and considering the transition period, its a new day for scheduling at SDSU.  I would hope we could get a solid schedule.

I think scheduling Drake and members of the D1AA league would be better than D3 Wisconsin.  That kind of an opponent should be the last resort.

Comment

I hope the rumor about scheduling a UW school is just that. I live in the state of Wisconsin and spend time out of every day selling people on our great school. Playing teams like Southern and Southern Georgia opened the eyes of people around here. I hear from co-workers and friends that they find themselves looking for the SD State score on the ESPN ticker.

Playing a team like UW-Lacrosse or UW-Stephens Point would go a long way to ruin any credibility that we have gained with everyone. Weren't we recently making fun of USD for scheduling the same sort of schools? I'd like the W in the Win/Loss column, but would rather it be against a better opponent.

By the way, in Milwaukee, the only school that gets press time is the big UW. UW-Milwaukee gets some respect in basketball, but the DIII UW football teams have to share space with the local softball results.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

The UW Lacrosse game was on the Hobo Day program for September 3rd so I assume this is done. I agree that I hate to see those kind of games on the schedule. However we can' imagine what it's like to do the scheduling.

Comment

The way it sounds now...the Texas State game is a victim of overscheduling (theirs)...that may be replaced with a home game.... Texas State will do home and home starting in 2006.
                  Because of the numbers of home games, up to 2 could be moved to Howard Wood.

Comment

So we are talking about 9 home games for next year!  You could easily move two to Sioux Falls, the Brookings Merchants would still have 7 games.  That would be one or two more then most seasons.  Crazy.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

From what i heard at hobo day is there will be two games @howard wood next year. The cal-davis game on the 24th of sept and the southern utah game on the 5th of nov and the reason is too make the people of sioux falls who give alot of money happy :-/, and the texas state game is still up in the air because texas state is trying to play a big texas school next year(texas,texas a&m, texas tech) and they will get paid around $700,000 for play the game. just think what we could do if we played a big school.

Comment

I really like the idea of playing two GWFC games in Sioux Falls. Two reasons: media exposure, and courting the hometown Sioux Falls athletes. Hard for KELO not to lead with SDSU's highlights (vs. USF's) if the Jacks' home field is Howard Wood. And, instead of a campus visit, what better than to have your team visit them? Might land a Sioux Falls recruit or two which might otherwise go elsewhere.

They're gonna need to bring in a bunch of end zone bleachers, though. An annual SDSU home game in S.F. might draw nearly 20,000, especially for a conference game. And, what if every other year, that game is the NDSU game? (An extra hour for the Bison to drive, heh heh heh).

Jus' ramblin' . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I agree, I like the idea too. How much does Howard Wood hold?

Comment

Howard Wood seats about 10,000.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Think the positives will out weight the negatives for the SF games, especially with the many home games next year.

Hopefully a great showing of Jacks fans will outweigh the neutral field.

Comment

I'm wondering if we should try to get one of those home games switched to an away to try and even out the home-away difference in upcoming years. If we could get a contract for an away-home series, I think that would be best. Has anyone heard what the GWFC schedule for the following year will be? If we keep switching home and away, we will have alot of road games again in 2006.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X