Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal-Poly

My 2 cents

Kardoes is not to blame he has great athleticism but is not a pocket passer. I also have to say the coaches need to take some blame with their play calling in first 4 games. Against Cal Poly we had more rushes in the first quarter and half then we were getting in the first three games totals. And it worked.

We need to play to our strengths, were big and a power team. We play a lot of smaller quicker teams. We need to play our game and let them play theirs.

There were more dropped balls last night than ussual but also a lot of missed recivers. We need to figure this out, as our games don't get easier.

I was unhappy after last nights game, why because I don't want to have a good showing or say State play well with the big boys. We should have won the last two games and we beat ourselves. Either the coaches need to think bigger or we need new ones.

Just one man's opinion, because this is a whole new game. Expect more get more

One man thinks he can't and the other thinks he can
    Both men are correct -- what man are you ?

Comment

I am disappointed that we are 2-2 right now. I had us at 3-1 at this point of the season. But on the other hand it is fun to play this kind of competition. At the game against Poly we were talking about what is going to happen to our league when unc leaves for the big sky. Don't you have to have 6 teams to be recognized as a league? Do we have a replacement in mind or what? Maybe North Dakota can go d1 and join our league?

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing 6 teams are required for is an auto-matic bid to the playoffs for the conference winner. With 5 teams, we don't get that anymore.

Comment

You need 6 playoff eligible members to be considered for an auto-bid. Thus the talks between the Big South (another 5 team league) and Great West.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Here are highlights from Chris Solari's story about the game.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...48/1002/SPORTS

SDSU falls to Cal Poly
            Jacks outgain Mustangs but lose league opener

CHRIS SOLARI
            csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 09/25/05

BROOKINGS - Another game against a ranked team, another coulda-shoulda-didn't for South Dakota State.

SDSU beat 12th-ranked Cal Poly in almost every facet of the game except the final score.

Quarterback Anthony Garnett ran for three touchdowns Saturday night as the Mustangs ended the Jackrabbits' home winning streak with a 24-16 victory.

The final stat sheet leaned heavily in SDSU's favor. The Jacks outgained Cal Poly 344-322 while getting 22 first downs to the Mustangs' 11. Also, SDSU controlled the ball for more than 38 minutes.

However, Cal Poly's offense needed just a few big plays to pull out the victory.

"It seemed like we should have been ahead all game," junior quarterback Andy Kardoes said. "That makes it harder. You know you should have won another game against a good team." . . .

A crowd of 10,633 at Couglin watched senior Garnett score on a pair of 1-yard runs in the first quarter before helping the Mustangs put the Great West Conference opener for both teams away with a 3-yard run early in the second half.

SDSU running back Cory Koenig, who started over and split time with junior Anthony Watson, ran for 126 yards and a touchdown on 24 carries. Kardoes, sacked three times and hurried five more by Cal Poly's highly regarded defense, was 14-of-32 for 174 yards, 115 of them to senior receiver Josh Davis.

Kardoes, who sprained his ankle in the game and had ice on it afterward, said the Mustangs used multiple schemes and moved players around the field before the snap to knock SDSU out of rhythm.

"That's their whole goal, to confuse you," he said. "They try to make it like they have 14 dudes on the field."

Early on, Cal Poly (3-1, 1-0) looked like it would score at will.

After forcing the Jackrabbits into a three-and-out and a bad punt to start the game, Garnett went up top to Jonah Russell for a 29-yard gain on the first play that put the Mustangs at SDSU's 1. Garnett plunged in immediately after for the lead with just over two minutes expired.

The Mustangs' next drive took just four plays, covering 50 yards in 1:46. Garnett hooked up with Jason Holmes for 45 yards on the first play. The quarterback then ran the next three plays, again powering in from the 1 for his second score.

"I feel like we have the best receiving corps in the nation," said Garnett, who rushed for 63 yards and passed for 182. "I feel I just have to throw the ball up in their vicinity, and they're going to come down with it."

Garnett connected on just 9 of 14 passes, but those completions averaged 20.2 yards.

"The big play killed us," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. . . .

SDSU hits the road next week for a game against 14th-ranked Texas State in San Marcos, Texas.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Well said SDSUFAN ....I agree with you and I can tell you that the boys played as hard as they could...

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

does anyone know what was going on with the extra man on the field penalty. ??? ???

Comment

just for the record  go rabbits what a great game saturday. i have fears about the team but think that they can and will compete in 1-AA. also iwould like to APOLOGIZE to the members of the jackrabbit football team when they had extra man on field penalty . i also laughed with the whole stadium on the call. I know you guys deserved better than what we did to you.YOUR TEAM MAKES ME PROUD TO BE A RABBIT (i came out of the closet) I was more upset at the coaching and like many around me i was mad at the coaches for putting you in that position. thank you for that effort you put forth. on my part i will be a better fan i think that every fan who reads this should try and makeup for the laughter on saturday by making a lot of noise to show our support .I love the pride they did a great job .the support and applause they recieved was incredible .lets show the same for our boys who are putting their heart and soul into the game.THEY ALSO DESERVE A GOOD FAN.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
                    Hey guys lets remember one thing.  The long passes that were missed also were being pushed out on the sidelines by the wind.  I was on the sidelines and you could see the affect on the ball.  The passes were there...just enough wind to take them wide, but to keep them from being intercepted he had to throw them to the outside of the defenders.

I have to agree with some previous post...a few more scholarships and some key playmakers things will get better.

It is a lot faster game now then it was in the NCC and I must admit that I am enjoying this style of ball a lot more.

GO JACKS! 8)

This is a very good point.  A few of Kardoes long misses were going into the wind.  Perhaps if he had more loft they would have been ducks, as it was he probably just over compensated a hair, but still some nice bullets.  To have no turnovers against a team like that is huge.

I also was trying to watch Gocong and agree that they did a great job stopping him.  Left other areas open, but they had to do it.  They also had a DB that was huge and could keep up.

Right at the kickoff I realized what DI-AA is all about.  Big increase in speed.

From what I could tell on the Illegal participation call, it seemed that the coaches may have told the kicking team to go on, but the offense was told to stay or also had a mixed signal.

The refs seemed to be off a bit at that point as well.  Just glad Parker made the kick, if he didn't there would have been some angry fans.  Kudos to Parker for tying Vinatieri's record at 52 yards.

Did anyone else think that the TD pass to the TE was a bad missed call by the refs?  The DB was all over our TE before the ball was there. (which was on the mark).  Would have been a huge play, either a TD or 1st and goal after a penalty.

Comment

I thought our DB's had a horrible game. Many of those long completed passes were balls that were just thrown up there and we were in position to make a play but exhibited poor timing and were either outjumped or outmuscled to the ball. I realize they had some big recievers but still with some of the lame ducks they threw we were in position to simply knock the ball down.

Comment

I realize JaRon Harris is just a freshman and has to pay his dues but think he was a guy who could have spread the field.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                          I thought our DB's had a horrible game. Many of those long completed passes were balls that were just thrown up there and we were in position to make a play but exhibited poor timing and were either outjumped or outmuscled to the ball. I realize they had some big recievers but still with some of the lame ducks they threw we were in position to simply knock the ball down.
                          I agree, but I didn't see our DB's using any muscle. They were almost all Duck passes and they still weren't fiting for the ball, just making the tackle.

I think Harris would have caught at least one of those long passes.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                            I would be willing to bet a dozen sheets of lefse that this same thing happened in Montana or on whatever game video that was given to Cal Poly in the exchange deal prior to the game.

When you consider the changes in the D staff coaching personnel, I am amazed in what is being accompolished this year. Karl Ballard was a very good coach in my estimation, but the current D cooridnator Burbak is no slouch either. Two weeks ago, when two of the defensive line were at the JC meeting in Brookings, Coach STig mentioned that these guys have had 3 line coaches since they hit campus and adjusting to each one is a chore, but the guys seem to have done that.
                            I think in the D back area we may have a talent gap.

What ever is going on in the d-backs area may have explanations. I really dont want to try and make technical one, but Stig mentioned at the JC meeting that we have guys still on the team that were recruited for D2, and these guys have paid their dues and deserved to play. If we can keep the current staff, we will be okay. I do think talent wise, we have make up with emotions sometimes. It has worked, and dang we hope it will continue work.

One of the big strengths of UCD is that Coach Biggs has had the same staff since day one.

There is no question we need better defensive backs and defensive ends.

BTW, I felt bad for the players, the staff and Coach Stig when he had 22 or was it 25 guys on the field on that one play. Worst of all Coach Stig has a sense of humor, but I dont think he likes to be embarrassed so I am sure this matter will be worked out and not likely to happen again.

It sure gave the officals a head scratch as this situation does not happen that often. I think we can chuckle about refs confering over this play and not being Johnie on the spot in making the call.

Comment

I agree with you Jacks99, there did apear to a blown pass interference call in the end zone on that one. The D-Back was all over our guy before the ball got there.

As for the fans laughing, I don't think it was directed to the players by any means. I think it was more for the fact that the ref actually tried to explain the penalty to the crowd, when it was possibly the most obvious penalty ever.

Comment

I'll go one more step on the fans' reaction to the ref's call. I don't think anyone has ever seen that many people on the field before. So, people expected to hear, "Too many men on the field." Instead, what they heard was, "Illegal participation." Who has ever heard that before? The verbage made it sound like a party, and I guess seeing 20 plus Jackrabbits on the field when the flag was thrown, it was a party. And, I'm glad the fans did laugh ... it sure beats "What the #@%^ are they doing out there!"

Comment

Working...
                                X