• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal-Poly

Originally posted by Jacks_NL
    remaining bobcat home schedule
    oct 7 Vs. o'gorman
    oct 14 vs. huron

so no more weekends that the bobcats and the jacks play the same weekend @ cas
    The Bobcats play at my new home town team, Sturgis Scoopers, this Friday. Scoopers have lost 70 in a row, but it's there homecoming and they're getting better. Former SDSU wide-out Adolf Sheperdson in a first year head coach for Sturgis.

Comment

Well, vehicle is packed. Hunting gear is ready to go. Will be headed back to SD tomorrow afternoon. Sounds like Saturday may be perfect with AM clouds and rain for duck hunting and a nice evening for FB.

I think the Jacks need an A-effort and I think they are ready to provide it. If we win the turnover battle and run the ball we should control enough of the clock to keep a fairly high-powered Cal-Poly offense down. They have a solid D anchored by perhaps the best DE in the GWFC if not all of IAA, but I have confidence in our run game. No telling what Andy might do but I hope he gets out of the pocket and is creative. My best guess:

SDSU 23 Cal Poly 17
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

SloStang, any idea as to the number of fans that will travel to Brookings?

Comment

I do not how many will make the trip but I wish I was one of them. Should be a great game. My guess is 100 to 200. From what I have read they should have a great time tailgating in the backyard.

Comment

I hope to run into a few as I normally sit on the eastside bleachers. This usually makes it a more entertaining game. I can't tell you how much fun it was when the Bison were in town last year. ;D

Comment

At the Jackrabbit Club meeting in Brookings yesterday, Stig mentioned a few interesting things that they have seen on tape so far about Cal Poly. They have a very interesting punting scheme where they use 3 QB and he said it was kind of like a high school formation. It a tricky one but its well executed and blocking the punt is very difficult. He also mentioned that the top D player for Poly last year is playing in the NFL, and the top one this year is getting looks from the NFL.

He also mentioned about Montana and fan noise. He encourage all us old cogers to make some noise when Cal Poly has the ball.

There is one thing about thecrucial illegal forward pass that Kardoes threw late in the fourth quarter that is worthy of mention. The line offical who is the point of reference for line of scrimmage may have moved a few feet and that most likely threw Andy off. Another line offical had made the call based on the spot which made the pass illegal. He said the QB usually uses the ref as a point a reference, but in this case it did not work becasue the line offical moved just a bit which is not illegal so on video, Andy was over the line of scrimmage and it was a good call.

The SDSU staff during the off season is going to spend some time with the Montana Staff as they want to get some insight into how Montana has sucessfully progressed as program. They hope to learn about how they specific recruit instate kids in Montana and how they divide the scholarships. Once we get the full 63, some can be split amongst the younger kids up to a total of 85 players. There is some tricks to that and a field trip out Montana will help. Stig mentioned that the Montana coach had impressed him as a good coach and a good guy and was willing to help them out.

AD Oien had told the football staff if they could raise the extra money for scholarships, he would not hold them back from offering more than what has been scheduled during the five period reclassification period. Fred said the sooner we get to 57 then with the new NCAA rule, the sooner they could go forward with scheduling D1A schools. He said there are currently discussions with three D1A schools for future games and the guarentees range from 400k to 600k, so its imperative that we all do what we can to help with the scholarship drive.

I was impressed with all the coaching reports including the equestrian team that is having an inter squad event this Saturday at the SitTel Center. Coach Magee has 26 riders schedule to participate. She said when she held the orientation for the participants at the start of the school term, 22 sets of parents showed up for the orientation. These parents are commited to following the term to K State other places this year. One family is from Alaska.

Rod Dehaven the Cross country coach mentioned that on the way back from Lincoln, Ne, the CC guys and gals were listening to the MU football game on WNAX and as it got towards the end the CC athletes were cheering the football guys on. Rod said some places, the student athletes are like that, and the new recruits are very enthused about SDSU and D1.

Comment

Any word on how ticket sales are going for the Cal Poly game? I'm hoping for a crowd in excess of 10,000! I have heard tickets are moving briskly for the Cal Davis game in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Hopefully the weather is good and we do get close to 11,000 fans and they learn how to cheer :-/

I'm still not sure that the casual SDSU followers realize how big this game is this week. Anyone else following should though. The Davis attendance will exceed expectations.

My score prediction for this week is SDSU 20 - Poly 17. Look for Parker and Bainbridge to make the difference this week and 2 TD's being enough to win.

Comment

Can't wait for this game!! Leaving on the big silver bird in the morning to SD!! On top of that I have another reason to leave, not only am I going to see the Jacks get a big W on Saturday night, and tailgate all afternoon with my buddy 89rabbit, but now I can say I'm going to outrun a hurricane too!!!

RITA GO AWAY..... GO RABBITS!!!!!!

Comment

Best of luck to the Jacks on saturday. Hopefully that one bounce of the football that's needed to win goes SDSU's way this year.

Comment

Interesting story about the CP line.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/san...s/12660518.htm

Small linemen, big technique guys

Mustangs' offensive line is one of the smallest, but quickest, in Division I-AA football, which is just the way they like it

Brian Milne

The Tribune

Anthony Garnett still busts up when he recalls the story.

It was during the Cal Poly football team's voluntary spring workouts when, for one reason or another, the quarterback couldn't scrounge up enough players for a 7-on-7 drill.

Wide receivers were especially hard to come by on this day, so when Garnett looked over at guard Beau Finato and grinned, the Mustangs' offensive lineman sprinted to the wideout slot without hesitation.

Finato, who checks in at 6 feet, 255 pounds, exploded off the line and beat everyone on the route, including the walk-on receiver who lined up on the opposite side.

That walk-on, needless to say, never made the team. And the Mustangs never again referred to Finato as an overweight lineman.

"I call him our fullback," Garnett said. "He does the same stuff the fullbacks do. He goes out there and cuts cornerbacks. He beat that receiver on that route in the spring. The guy might be 255, but he can move."

As can the rest of the Mustangs' offensive line, which is one of the smallest, but fastest, units in Division I-AA football. . . .

Cal Poly's option-based offense favors speed and athleticism over brawn, which allows Ellerson to recruit undersized linemen that are overlooked by California's Division I-A schools.

"We're definitely smaller than most of the (defensive) lines we go up against," said Finato, who is only 10 pounds heavier than Morro Bay High junior fullback Ryland Lapp. "We're undersized by description. With our offense, we're trying to get away with that quickness on the perimeter and use speed to our advantage."

To make up for its size, the line's success depends heavily on low blocking, constant adjustments, misdirection, last-second decisions and team speed to neutralize opponents' considerable size advantage.

"We're big technique guys," said offensive line coach Gene McKeehan. "Our players have to go one on one a lot, so we can't have a bunch of big fat guys who stand foot to foot and get away with murder. We have to be athletic and get out and run or we're going to have issues." . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

See you guys in the "Backyard"!

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Mustangs! ;D

Comment

This game reminds me of Nebraska under Tom Osborn and Miami under Jimmy Johnson.

South Dakota State is a huge team that is very physical and Cal Poly is a smaller team that hopes to beat a team on speed and athleticism.

If the Jacks can establish the run, it could mean a long day for Poly.

If Cal Poly can get to the outside and turn the corner on the option, it could be a long day for SDSU.

I think both teams will find running hard to come by in this game and the team that can do the best in the passing game and minimize turnovers will win.

Should be a great game.

Comment

Kick-off it is on  SDSU will be on offense

Sounds like at lot a large crowd

First play is incomplete, 2 and 10 Kadous sacked at 5 yard line.

Again, two plays both run sounds like last 3 games.

After a failed QB sneak SDSU punts the ball, off side of foot. Cal Poly gets ball at at States 39

Fisrt play by Cal Poly is a pass complete to SDSU 1 then next play they score a TD

SDSU 0
                              Cal Poly 7

Comment

Remember you can see live stats at: http://gojacks.sdstate.edu/fbstats/

Also you can catch the games on line on WANX

Comment

Working...
                                X